Reaching out

Reaching out

A Chapter by Darruesh Eetraydes
"

Izyan and Nzingha travel to see an acquaintance of Izyan's, while Fletcher after tricking Gerik to follow him, goes to the home of his love.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Reaching out.



“I don’t trust that boy” Nzingha whispered as they walked through the market. Many smells assaulted Nzingha’s nose as they walked past merchant stalls. The smell of perfumes, food, animals, and bodies permeated throughout the cities center. Women danced wearing clothes that didn’t leave much to the imagination, store owners yelled out the prices of their wares, and Nzingha noticed a man slipping his hand into another guy’s pocket, taking his wallet.

“He is a good person, but his life has just flipped upside down” Izyan said. He walked into a building with the sign Psychic Hammer hanging sideways on the building. Nzingha followed him inside the wooden building. The inside of the building was very warm. Many items were on the displays that were lined all over the wall. Swords, hammers, axes, spears, daggers, and some even Nzingha didn’t know their names. A skinny young boy stood on a stoop from behind the counter.

“Hi Charlie I’m here to see him” Izyan greeted.

Charlie led them behind the counter. He opened up a closet, pulled on the hatch open on the floor, and led them down. A single light bulb hung in the center of the room casting many shadows. Many weapons were on display down here like upstairs. The rugged stone walls were jutted some places. It almost looked like spikes. A tall dark skinned man, tattoos covered his arms, his shades hid his eyes, and his black beanie worn low over his head called out to them.

“Well if it isn’t the great Izyan” the man called out

“Duncan it’s been a while” Izyan replied. They reached out and grabbed each other’s forearm.

“Going young now I see” Duncan told him. He nodded towards Nzingha.

“Of course not, she is just very powerful and beautiful” Izyan laughed.

“Hmm sounds like my type.” Duncan replied and shook her hand.

“I’m the only one allowed to be your type” a woman said.

“Of course baby, of course” he answered smiling.

A woman with soft skin, almond shaped eyes, and long flowing hair greeted them. Nzingha realized that the woman’s hand was callused as if she had done hard work all her life.

“I’m Kimi if that fool hadn’t told you my name yet” she said. Her eyes flashed towards Duncan, and he cowered a bit.

“This is my lovely wife, but baby we need some privacy for now” Duncan said. His face suddenly turned serious.

Kimi nodded her head, kissed Duncan softly, and left.

“I heard what happened to your brother’s place” Duncan told them once his wife closed the hatch.

“They took my niece Felicity” Izyan said.

“Blind little Felicity?” Duncan asked.

“Yes, there was a monk who could erect barrier around himself” Izyan told him.

“That would be Francis Barei” Duncan replied. “I’ve gotten close to killing him a couple of times, but he always manages to escape.

“I need your help to save her” Izyan pleaded.

“Will you finally join the resistance?” he asked.

“You know I can’t. I’m a follower of the king, and rebelling against the church without orders from the king would get me in major trouble” Izyan answered.

  “You are part of the resistance?” Nzingha asked.

Duncan stood out of his chair and paced “I’m the leader of this branch of the resistance.”

“How many branches are there?” she asked,

“We are wherever the church is, but we aren’t united as one. That is the main reason that we aren’t a threat” Duncan responded.

“Well maybe you could convince this young lady and her brother to join” Izyan replied.

Duncan eyed the girl and shook his head “I need warriors.”

“That isn’t all you need” she told him. Nzingha stood and walked towards him, “fight me.”

Duncan eyed her suspiciously “I can’t hurt women”

“Well then this will suck for you” Nzingha reached deep within herself, attuning her mind to Duncan’s body, and flung him across the room.

His body hit the rocks hard. Nzingha stood still watching him. Duncan slowly got to his feet, and as he did she flung him again. Duncan’s body skidded on the ground. Duncan growled and stood up. Nzingha tried to throw him, but found it impossible. Something about Duncan changed to Nzingha. Duncan took his shades off, set them down, and smiled. His eyes gave off a purplish hue as well as his body. Duncan reached his right hand outward. The purple hue grew from his hand, forming a purple pole, a purple cylinder formed on the end, and the purplish hue completely dissipated leaving a huge hammer.

“Did you think psychic hammer was just the name of my store?” Duncan asked.

“That just proves you aren’t creative. I don’t even want to join your weak rebels, but I will make you pay for underestimating me” she told him.

“Well then stop talking” Duncan replied.

He ran towards her with his hammer behind him. He swung and missed. Nzingha ducked at the last minute and punched Duncan in the stomach. Duncan’s knee caught her square in the face leaving her sprawled on the floor. Duncan brought his hammer down, Nzingha rolled to the left, and Duncan’s hammer barely missed her head. She continued rolling until she was far enough away. Duncan stood still smiling.”

“Ok you have proven that you can fight” Duncan told her.

Nzingha stood “were you trying to kill me?”

“No, if I wanted to kill you then that last strike would have done more then make a dent in the floor: Duncan answered.

“Good answer and because of it I will let you live” Nzingha said. She smiled as three short swords dropped from the ceiling and landed next to Duncan.

“Wait what the” Duncan asked?

“When I couldn’t move your body I chose different targets. I didn’t want to kill you, but if you had answered wrong” she let it hang in the air.

Duncan laughed; his psychic hammer gave off a purplish hue before dissipating, and taking the hammer with it.

Izyan clapped “told you beautiful and powerful.”

Duncan just smiled in reply, “so where is your brother and what is his abilities?

“He isn’t a psychic” she told him.

“So why would I have them both join?” Duncan asked Izyan.

“If you fought him, you would understand” Izyan replied. Izyan looked at Nzingha, “you two have no place to go, barely any money, and you want to help psychics. This is your best bet” Izyan told her.

Nzingha stared at him while thinking, “I have to talk it over with Gerik first.”

“Then let’s go get them before it gets too late, besides they might have gotten on each other’s nerves being alone this long” Izyan told her.

They stood, Izyan grabbed Duncan’s forearm “we will be back” he whispered.

 

Fletcher knocked on the door. He could hear the sound of footsteps before the door opened.

“Fletcher” Ceri screamed.

She jumped on him and gave him a passionate kiss. Fletcher gave in to her warmth. He felt as if he could make it with her beside him. They held each other for a while, and only when she noticed Gerik did she get off him.

“Can we come inside?” Fletcher asked.

“Um of course” Ceri responded. She moved to the side allowing the two to walk inside.

Paintings on either side of the door depicted lions at the foot of kings. The hallway was quite spacious with images of lions running designed along its walls. They came to the living room area, the fireplace gave the room warmth, the cushions of the couch were soft and comfortable, the chandelier reflected the light of from the fireplace giving the room an amber color, and the smell of jasmine wafted around the room.

“Who is your friend?” Ceri asked.

“Oh this is Gerik. He helped me when I tried to rescue my sister” Fletcher explained.

Ceri looked at Gerik’s eyes and found sadness. “what do you mean tried” she asked him.

“Well” he looked down at the floor “we failed to save her, but I came here to ask your father for help” he finished.

“Fletcher there is something I have to tell“

“Come with me, and tell me everything my boy. I will help you as best I can” her father interrupted. He cast a dangerous glance over to his daughter, a look that Gerik didn’t miss.

Fletcher rose from the couch” I’ll be right back” he told Gerik, kissed Ceri, and left with her father.

 

 

 

 



© 2010 Darruesh Eetraydes




Reviews

This really is a great story. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The last few chapters were awesome!I like where this story is going,and I'll be finishing it very soon.

Posted 14 Years Ago


The chapter was very good. The girl is a strong character in the story. She know the ending already. I enjoyed the conversation and the pace of story is very good. Just enough to keep reader alert and their attention.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.

yeah, i wish the fight part could have been longer, but still it was wonnerful.
nice work

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved the fight! And when Ceri jumped on Fletcher, that made me laugh. Another excellent chapter. :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Really good. I like the fight part (even if it was short). Also Ceri's father should die XP.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 16, 2010
Last Updated on March 16, 2010
Tags: psychics, guns, explosion, tragedy, adventure, fantasy, swords, action, love, betrayal


Author

Darruesh Eetraydes
Darruesh Eetraydes

TX



About
Yo whats up people! I'm a 19 year old class clown from Texas. I've recently gotten into writing and I'm trying to get better at it. I'm better at telling stories orally, but hey I got start at some po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..