Breeding

Breeding

A Story by DaughterNature
"

This is based off a real-life situation. Not to flatter myself, but it reminds me a little of Hemingway or something.

"

        A man and a woman -- boy and girl, really -- a year out of college on their first vacation, lounging in Miami at the airport Holiday Inn. High on the ninth floor in the sleek charcoal dining room, the rural kids with urban jobs enjoy Cuban cuisine.

        At a pause in their flirtation she looks out through the wall of windows, brushing coconut hair from eye to ear. "Isn't that beautiful," she sighs to the light fading behind them. "How the sunset gives way to the city lights?"

        He hums his agreement as he eats.

        "Though, the skyline is pretty small, not like Chicago or New York," she muses, feeling very worldly indeed.

        He nods again, sipping his rum and coke.

        "Gosh, walking home from work this late on a Saturday?"

        He looks down as she indicates a barrel-chested, begrimed man tromping down the sidewalk far below them.

        "I wonder where he's coming from, with those heavy boots and long sleeves in Florida! And where is he going all alone so late?"

        "He's wearing all dark colors," he observes, "he'd better be careful," and inclines his head in the direction of the approaching intersection.

        "Oh, they won't hit him," she insists, suddenly defensive.

        "But if they did," he persists, "would anyone else up here notice?"

        "Would we notice, do you think, if we weren't already watching?"

        "Do you think the car would stop? They drive pretty fast around here."

        The space is filled with the music of silverware on dishes.

        "If we did notice, would you call 911?" he asks.

        "I would, but my phone is dead. I guess I could tell the waitress to call."

        "Do you think he has i.d. on him? Who would come to the hospital?"

        "Any dessert?"

        "Could we look at the menu, please?"

        And the man disappeared.

© 2014 DaughterNature


Author's Note

DaughterNature
How does this make you feel? Do you like the situation?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

a cynical view that in the end people do not want to be involved when something bad happens to someone on the street. shows how the couple are self-absorbed even though they are observing the guy and making up that scenario. i think they know they're one of those people who are passive and indifferent about others. there is wisdom in this brief scene.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

a cynical view that in the end people do not want to be involved when something bad happens to someone on the street. shows how the couple are self-absorbed even though they are observing the guy and making up that scenario. i think they know they're one of those people who are passive and indifferent about others. there is wisdom in this brief scene.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The couple seems to be @ the best phase of their relationship.. She is very gleeful and that's why as the writer says, takes a pause in their flirtation or romance making the later conversation.. just a casual one.
Cheers to the couple...

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like how the two are casually discussing what could happen to a random passerby on a sidewalk, and then just like that he disappears, and now they're more concerned about dessert all of a sudden. Their attention spans seem a bit short to say the least. Actually the way they chit chat in an idle way makes me think of the sitcom Seinfeld. But that's just me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


DaughterNature

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Yeah, I was definitely going for a modern-day-bourgeosie feel, very vapid and superficial.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 8, 2013
Last Updated on February 8, 2014
Tags: class, Florida, restaurant

Author

DaughterNature
DaughterNature

Chicago, IL



About
I know I'll always be learning, but ready and willing to read and review! I have been writing for about 14 years, and I have had one short story published in a magazine. I love experimenting with diff.. more..

Writing