Episode II (Part I)

Episode II (Part I)

A Chapter by David J.
"

Norma pleads with Trudy; Pat meets Thomas Lothrop; Nadine shocks Pat with what she has to say.

"

(At the Boarding House)


(The boarders (with the exception of Doug, Pat, and Nadine) are gathered around the dining room table, eating breakfast. Pat and Nadine come down the stairs and enter the room.)


Pat:         Sorry we’re late.


Lillian:    No need to apologize, dear. Just have a seat and you can start eating.


(Pat takes a seat next to Hutch and Nadine takes a seat next to her.)


Hutch:    I see Doug’s not around again.


Helen:    Way to go, Hutch. Now that you mentioned it, he’s sure to walk right

           through the front door now.


Hutch:    Maybe not. I mean, what if something happened to him last night. What

            if he’s dead?


Chris:      (Raises his glass.) Amen if he is!


Lillian:    Okay. Now stop it, all of you! Now whatever Doug is doing or whatever trouble he’s gotten himself into, that’s his problem. But I refuse to allow us to dwell on the subject, or any subject for that matter regarding Doug. Now this is supposed to be a nice breakfast and I’d like to keep it that way. Okay? 


Helen:    (Nodding her head.) We’re sorry, Lillian.


Lillian:    It’s all right. Let’s just keep eating.


(The room is silent, with the only the sound of clanking silverware being heard.)


Ethel:     Oh. Nadine. Pat. I’ve been meaning to ask you guys how you’re finding this place to be so far. I mean, do you like it? Do you wish it would burn down? What are your feelings towards this place, and us?


Lillian:    Ethel, there’s no need to put them on the spot like that.


Pat:         It’s all right, Lillian. I don’t mind. While I won’t speak for my sister, I, myself, have taken quite a liking to this place. It’s nice. Um . . . it’s cozy. And it being a two minute walk away from the bus stop is just incredibly convenient for me. And all of you have helped make me feel quite welcome.


Ethel:     (Nods.) Nadine, how about you?


Nadine:  Oh. . . Well, um, I like this place too. You know, it’s like Pat said, nice place, friendly people, and very close to the bus stop.


Lillian:    Well, we’re glad to hear that. And we’re all very happy to have you here.


(End of scene.)


 

(At the Boarding House)


(Pat hurries down the stairs with Nadine following behind.)


Pat:         Come on, Nadine. The bus comes in five minutes.


Nadine:  I’m coming. I’m coming.


(Lillian appears.)


Lillian:    Ladies, before you go, can I have a word? It will be brief.


Pat:         Um, sure, Lillian. What is it?


Lillian:    Well, I just to want to apologize again for my sister putting you on the spot like that.


Pat:         Oh, that. Lillian, it was no big deal, really.


Lillian:    Well, I just wanted to make sure you were all right and everything.


Pat:         We’re fine, Lillian. We swear. Is that all because if it is, we really got

            to-


Lillian:    (Interrupts.) Well, there is just one more thing. I noticed that when a few of the other boarders went on that brief ramble about Doug, you both looked rather uncomfortable.


Pat:         Well, I’m sure they had their reasons for saying it. After all, they’ve all

            been here far longer than we have.


Lillian:    I just feel like I should explain to you where, where those feelings

            toward him come from.


Pat:         Lillian, I don’t mean to be rude but Nadine and I need to leave to catch a bus. Maybe you could explain that to us at a later time. 


Lillian:    Oh. Yes, sure. I wouldn’t want you to miss your bus on my account. But yes, I would like to talk to you about the whole Doug thing at some point. But please, right now, go and catch your bus.


Pat:         Thank you. Come on, Nadine.


(Nadine and Pat hurry out.)


Nadine:  (As she closes the door.) Good-bye, Ms. Bedore.


(End of scene.)



(At Trudy’s House)


(Trudy is on the phone with her pregnant niece, Laura.)


Trudy:    Do you want me to bring you over anything?


Laura:     Oh, no. Matt’s made sure that I’m well taken care of. But thanks for offering.


Trudy:    Well, if you do need anything, don’t hesitate to call me.


Laura:     I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks, Aunt Trudy. Listen, I need to go and do some laundry but I’ll be sure to give you a call later on tonight.


Trudy:    Of course. I’ll talk to you later on.


Laura:     Okay. Bye.


Trudy:    Good-bye, dear.


(Trudy hangs up the phone. At the same time, the doorbell rings.)


                (To herself.) Now who could that be?


(She makes her way to the front door and opens it to find Norma, Frank’s sister.)


                Norma?!


Norma:  (Barges in.) I can’t take him anymore! I just can’t deal with him! That man is driving me up a wall!


Trudy:    Wait, Norma, calm down. Now who are you talking about?


Norma:  Frank! Trudy, you have got to take him back! Please, I am begging you!


Trudy:    Norma.


Norma:  Please! I will pay you if I have to! Any amount! Do you take a check? Or would you prefer cash? Just name your price!


Trudy:    Norma, I’m sorry but I’m not going to take him back, at least not yet anyway. And that’s if I decide to take him back at all.


Norma:  Trudy, you don’t understand! All he does, day and night, is sit around and mope and drink, moaning about how guilty he feels, what a wonderful woman you are, and just oh my god, I can’t take it anymore!


Trudy:    Why doesn’t he stay with one of his other siblings?


Norma:  They don’t want him! The only one who actually offered was Marge but Frank can’t stand her! I was the only one left!


Trudy:    Why don’t you just kick him out then?


Norma:  He’s my brother. I can’t. Trudy, could you at least talk to him? As a favor to me?


Trudy:    Ugh, Norma. I don’t know.


Norma:  Trudy, please! Maybe it could help!


(End of scene.)



(At Lothrop Industries; Third Floor)


(As Pat is working on her machine, Thomas Lothrop walks by and takes notice of her.)


Thomas:                 Excuse me. (Pat turns around.) I don't believe you and I have

               been properly introduced yet. I'm Thomas Lothrop, co-manager of the

               factory. (Extends his hand.)


Pat:         Oh. (Shakes his hand.) It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lothrop.


Thomas:                 Please, call me Thomas.


Pat:         Oh. . . Okay, then. I'm Patricia. Patricia Garrett. But you can me Pat.


Thomas:                 How long have you been with us?


Pat:         Oh, not too long. A couple of weeks.


Thomas:                 Could I interest you in a drink? After work, maybe? I know a

               good place downtown.


Pat:         Oh, I couldn’t. It, it wouldn’t feel right. I mean, you’re one of my

               employers and . . . oh, I could never. And besides, what would the

               other workers think?


Thomas:                 I really don’t care what the other workers think.


Pat:         I’m sorry but I’m going to have to turn down the offer.


Thomas:                 (Nods.) All right then. But if you change your mind, you know

               where to find me.


(Thomas walks away and Pat resumes her work.  From a distance, at her machine, Nadine has witnessed the whole conversation.)


(End of scene.)



(At Norma’s House)


(Frank is lying on the living room couch, sulking, drinking and watching TV. He hears the front door open and then Norma appears before him. She grabs the beer out of his hand.)


Frank:     Hey, I was drinking that.


Norma:  Not anymore, you’re not. Now sit up and fix yourself. There’s someone

            here to see you.


Frank:     Who?


(Trudy walks into the room. Frank quickly jumps up and tries to make himself look presentable.)


                Trudy!


Trudy:    Hello, Frank.


Frank:     I didn’t expect you to come by. (To Norma.) A little warning would have

            been nice.


Norma:  This was a last minute thing. (To Trudy.) I’ll be outside if you need me.


(Norma leaves the room.)


Frank:     Umm, I wish I knew you were coming by. I would have straightened up

             a little.


Trudy:    Well, like Norma said, this was a last minute thing.


Frank:     .  . . How have you been?


Trudy:    Fine.


Frank:     . . . And how are Laura, Richard, and everyone else doing?


Trudy:    They’re doing just fine.


Frank:     I hear Laura’s almost due.


Trudy:    Should be any day now.


Frank:     Has she and Matt come up with a name?


Trudy:    Not yet.


Frank:     Oh. . . Well, I’m sure whatever they decide will be very fitting for the little thing .I, um. . . Oh, Trudy, please take me back! What happened was a mistake, a terrible, drunken mistake! You have no idea how sorry I am for all the pain I’ve put you through recently!


Trudy:    I’m sure you are. But Frank, I don’t think it’s the affair that’s the only problem.


Frank:     What do you mean?


Trudy:    Before this whole affair even happened, I noticed that your drinking had been escalating and all of these beer cans before me right now are even more proof of the fact.


Frank:     I enjoy the occasional beer.


Trudy:    Frank, this is more than the occasional beer. You have a serious problem . . . Frank, I think you’re an alcoholic.


Frank:     I am not! And you know I really resent you for implying that I am!


Trudy:    Well, I’m sorry but I think it’s true.


Frank:     I make one mistake and all of the sudden, I’m an alcoholic?


Trudy:    (Shakes her head and sighs.) Maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up.


Frank:     You’re damn right you shouldn’t have! You know, at first when I saw you walk into the room, I thought, or was at least really hoping, that you were here to say that you forgave me but now, even if you were, I don’t care!


Trudy:    I think I should go.


Frank:     Yeah, I think you better.


(Trudy leaves the room and exits the house through the front door. Norma is outside, leaning against the side of the front steps, smoking a cigarette. When Trudy comes out, Norma looks up at her and realizes things didn’t go well.)


Trudy:    I’m sorry, Norma.


(Trudy goes to her car. She pulls out and drives away, leaving Norma to wonder what she is going to do about Frank.)


(End of scene.)



(At the Launderette)


(Carly and Arlene are chatting with one another as they each empty a dryer and fold laundry.)


Carly:      How are things, Arlene?


Arlene:  Oh, fine. Fine.


Carly:      How are Doris and Maud doing?


Arlene:  Doris is doing okay. She’s trying to get the dryer fixed. A repairman came over and gave her an estimate but Thomas refuses to shell out the money. He thinks the estimate the repairman gave is more than what it should cost. Ugh, Thomas is such a cheapskate.


Carly:      What about Maud? How is she doing?


Arlene:  She’s come down with that stomach bug that’s been going around. It should pass within a week, I think.


Carly:      Do give her my best.


Arlene:  I will.


Carly:      You know, it’s a shame about what happened at the factory.


Arlene:  What factory?


Carly:      Lothrop Industries. Haven’t you heard?


Arlene:  No. What happened?


Carly:      Layoffs. In two weeks, about a hundred or so people will be out of a job.


Arlene:  What?


Carly:      Yeah, my friend Janice Reilly was one of the ones laid off, though she shouldn’t have any problems finding work. After all, her father owns Carver Corporations.


(Arlene is shocked.)


                Benjamin never told you any of this?


Arlene:  (Shakes her head.) No, he didn’t. .


Carly:      Maybe he just assumed you wouldn’t have any interest.


Arlene:  Yeah, maybe. . .


(Arlene thinks for a moment. She then begins grabbing the rest of the laundry out of the dryer and throwing it into her basket.) You know what; I just realized I got to go. (Grabs her basket and heads for the door.) It was great seeing you, Carly. I’ll be sure to let Doris and Maud know you asked about them.


(Before Carly can get a word out, Arlene is already out the door.)


Carly:      (Slightly waves her hand.) Bye, Arlene.


(End of scene.)


 

(At Norma’s House)


(Frank is lying on the couch in the living room, drinking a beer and watching TV. He’s still angry about what Trudy said earlier. Norma comes in the room with dinner.)


Norma:  Here’s your dinner.


Frank:     I’m not hungry.


Norma:  Suit yourself. (Puts the plate down on a table.) What did Trudy say to

            you earlier?


Frank:     Nothing . . .


Norma:  A mood like that doesn’t stem from nothing.


Frank:     I don’t want to talk about it.


Norma:  Fine then. (Looks down at all the empty beer cans lying about on the floor.) But will you please pick up all these beer cans on the floor?!


Frank:     Oh and what is that supposed to mean?


Norma:  It means that there are a bunch of beer cans lying all over my floor and I don’t like it! And there’s certainly no way I’m picking them up!


Frank:     . . . You think I have a problem, don’t you?


Norma:  If anyone has a problem in this house, it’s me! And it’s clearly not going away anytime soon!


Frank:     I bet you you think I drink too much. That I can’t stop. Well, I’ll have you know that I can stop at any time I’d like.


Norma:  Frank, what are you going on- (Small pause as she realizes what Trudy said to him.) That’s what Trudy said, that you have a drinking problem.


Frank:     (Shakes his head.) Ugh, the nerve of her accusing me of something like that! Can you believe it? Telling me that I have a drinking problem, insinuating that I have no self-control!


Norma:  Do you have self-control?


Frank:     Now what is that supposed to mean?


Norma:  It means Frank that in the time you’ve been here, I’ve been watching you and I agree with Trudy.


Frank:     So now you’re against me too.


Norma:  Frank, you-


Frank:     (interrupts.) I don’t want to hear it! Just-just go away! Leave me alone!


(Frank rolls over so that his back is facing Norma. Norma just stands there for a moment, looking down at him. She then picks up the plate she brought him and leaves the room.)


(End of scene.)


 

(At the Lothrop House; Dining Room)


(Thomas, Doris, Benjamin, and Arlene Lothrop are sitting around the dinner table, eating.)


Doris:                     What’s this I’ve heard about layoffs at the factory?


Thomas:                 Well, we needed a way to save money so we’re cutting about a hundred

                        employees.


Arlene:                  You can’t cut people in this recession. Do you realize how difficult it will be for them to find work elsewhere?


Thomas:                 I’m sorry, Arlene, but that’s business. Sacrifices have to be

                        made.


Arlene:                  Benjamin, you can’t be going along with this. I mean, there

                        has to be another way.


Thomas:                 He’s already agreed with the idea.


Arlene:                  Benjamin?


Benjamin:              I’m sorry, Arlene, but we need to save money and this is the

                         best way to do it.


Doris:                     Then why did you hire a dozen or so workers the other week?


Thomas:                 That was Helena’s doing, not ours.


Doris:                     Have you even consulted Helena on your latest decision?


Thomas:                 We don’t always need to consult her.


Doris:                     She has a right to know. After all, she’s part owner.


Thomas:                 She’ll find out when she returns to town.


Arlene:                  Honestly, there has to be a better way of saving money than

                        laying off workers.


Thomas:                 Like I said, Arlene. It’s business.


Arlene:                  Well, I don’t like it.


(Maud rings her bell from upstairs.)


Doris:                     That’s Ma. I better go check on her. (Gets up.)


Arlene:                  (Gets up.) Doris, no. I’ll go.


Doris:                     Arlene, you don’t have to. I’ll go.


Arlene:                  Doris, you stay here and finish your dinner. I insist.


Doris:                     Oh. Well, thank you, Arlene.


(Doris sits back down as Arlene leaves the room.)


Thomas:                 (Wipes his face with a napkin.) Well, Benjamin and I should

                        get going as well.


Doris:                     (As Thomas and Benjamin rise.) What on earth for?


Thomas:                 We have a meeting with a potential client tonight. He has a big job that needs to be done and is considering Lothrop Industries as the one to do it.


Doris:                     Shouldn’t you wait for Helena to return before going to such an important meeting?


Thomas:                 Helena’s not going to be back for another week or so. And besides, we can handle it. (to Benjamin.) Come on, Benjamin.


Doris:                     (As Benjamin and Thomas start to leave.) I’m sure.


Thomas:                 Well, anyways, we’ll be back late so don’t wait up for us.


Doris:                     (Shakes her head.) I wasn’t planning to.


(End of scene.)



(At the Boarding House; Pat and Nadine’s Room)


(Pat is standing as she tries to undo the bun her hair is in while Nadine watches. Nadine is sitting on her bed, still thinking about the conversation she witnessed earlier between Thomas and Pat.)


Nadine:  I saw you talking to one of the bosses earlier today. What did he want?


Pat:         Nothing, really. He introduced himself to me so I introduced myself to him. He asked me out for a drink and I politely turned him down.


Nadine:  (Pat undoes her bun.) He just met you and already he’s asked you out?


Pat:         (Grabs a hairbrush and begins brushing her hair.) It really was no big deal.


Nadine:  Why did you turn him down?


Pat:         Well, for starters, the man is my employer. I mean, what would the other workers think if they knew that I was involved with the man in charge? And besides, even if he wasn’t my boss, I’d still probably turn him down. I’ve heard the man is a womanizer, a playboy, and is rather full of himself.


Nadine:  Those are only rumors. You can’t go by them.


Pat:         Nadine, it’s not going to happen so if we could please just drop the

             subject.


Nadine:  I’m just saying you shouldn't go by what people say. Some can be quick to judge. (Pat puts her brush down on the nightstand.)


Pat:         Why are you so quick to defend this man? It's almost like you have a crush on him or . . . Oh my gosh. That's it, isn't it?


Nadine:  What's it?


Pat:         You have a crush on Thomas Lothrop.


Nadine:  What? No, that's ridiculous!


Pat:         No, I can tell. You're blushing and everything.


Nadine:  Okay . . . so maybe I do.


Pat:         Nadine, what could you possibly see in that man?


Nadine:  I don't know. There's just something . . . rather attractive about him. I mean, come on, even you have to admit he's good looking.

Pat:         Good looks do not make a relationship, Nadine. There has to be more to it than that. Nadine, I don't want you to get your hopes up. The odds of you and him actually getting together are quite slim.


Nadine:  And why is that?


Pat:         Well, for starters, does he even know that you exist?


Nadine:  Yes, he does.


Pat:         Really?


Nadine:  Yes, as a matter of fact. The other day, we accidentally bumped into

            one another at the factory.


Pat:         And? Were names exchanged? Was a conversation held?


Nadine:  No, not really. He told me to watch it and kept on going.


Pat:         Nadine, that isn't exactly a formal introduction.


Nadine:  No, but at least he knows that I exist.


Pat:         Yes, as the girl who bumped into him. Oh, honestly Nadine. This fantasy of yours has little hope.


Nadine:  Well, why is it a fantasy?


Pat:         He's much more likely to go out with someone. . .


Nadine:  Like you?


Pat:         That's not what I was going to say.


Nadine:  But that's probably what you were thinking. After all, you've had, as you say, a “formal introduction”. He knows your name and everything.


Pat:         Not everything.


Nadine:  This is how it’s always been, Pat. The guys always fall for you while I’m

            left standing in the shadows.


Pat:         Nadine, that’s not true.


Nadine:  Oh yes it is. You know it. I know it. The whole world knows it! I’ve never been anything more than a shadow when it comes to you, as far back as I can remember. And not just with the men but with . . . well, with everything really. Everyone always paid attention to you! In school, I was always known as “Pat’s sister”. And at home, it was you mother always devoted her time to. She never even gave a second thought about me. She didn’t even bother to show up for my high school graduation. But I remember full and well that she was present at yours. . . (Shakes her head.) You know just once I’d . . . You know what, never mind. (Sighs.)


Pat:         Nadine, I . . . (Shakes her head.) I had no idea you felt this way.


Nadine:  (Looks at the clock.) Look, it’s getting late and we have to be up early tomorrow for work. I’m going to the bathroom to get washed up and everything and then I’m going to bed.


Pat:         (As Nadine is about to grab her toothbrush.) Nadine, I-


Nadine:  (Interrupts.) Pat, please. I don’t want to hear it.


(Pat watches quietly as Nadine grabs her toothbrush, toothpaste, a towel, and

her bathrobe and leaves the room.)


(End of scene.)



(At Norma’s House)


(Norma quietly walks into the living room to see if Frank is still awake. She listens for a moment and he snores. Knowing that he’s asleep, she heads for her bedroom. She walks in and quietly closes the door behind her. She sits down on the edge of the bed, picks up the telephone sitting on her nightstand, and dials a number.)


Norma:  (Listens.) Hello, Marge? It’s Norma.


(End of scene.)



(On the streets of Cedarmill)


(Thomas and Benjamin are walking down a street.)


Thomas:                 With the way Doris and Arlene were going on, I didn’t think we’d ever get out of there. Honestly, I don’t get what you see in that woman.


(Thomas and Benjamin approach Iris Needham’s Brothel. Thomas gives three knocks on the door. They wait a moment before the door opens slightly. A woman peaks her head out of the crack to see who is knocking. Thomas gives her a little nod. The woman quickly closes the door, undoes the lock, and opens the door all the way. She gestures for the two of them come inside. Thomas and Benjamin enter and the door is closed behind them.)


(End of scene.)



© 2012 David J.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on June 14, 2012
Last Updated on June 14, 2012
Tags: soap opera, drama, affair, romance