For the Children of Sandy Hook

For the Children of Sandy Hook

A Poem by David Lewis Paget

I live in a great, wide open land

At the other end of the earth,

But the TV News and the Devil’s views

Are beamed to my own home hearth,

And often I think to turn my head

As the joy of life’s undone,

Back in that great democracy

At the point of a loaded gun.

 

We learnt our lesson and banned all weapons

When we took time to choose,

After a madman ran amok,

So why don’t you do it too?

For now the parents are bent in grief

For their lost young daughters and sons,

I couldn’t do anything else but weep,

Please God, get rid of the guns!

 

David Lewis Paget

© 2012 David Lewis Paget


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Van
hah... I really doubt that the world can get rid of all its firearms now that they've become so entrenched in human society... still, one can hope. The children deserve a better world.

On a different note:
As always, I love the way your rhymes flow. Thank you for sharing this piece! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hi Paget. Your Christmas poem was as usual awesome.
Obama promised "swift action" on fire arm violence and in this great nation and formed a commite to pass an assault weapons ban that when it was originally passed did next to nothing to keep assault weapons out of the hands of those who really wanted them. I hope fails and they introduce a bill with some teeth actually gets weapons off the streets and out of the hands of thugs and crazy people. It's not gonna happen but I can dream. They'll pass some watered down verbage arms manufacturers can feel good about and the killing will continue. It's just like I told you bro. This is America, not Australia.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Even though there's maniacs out there, a few people who snap and shoot up some schools or malls or whatever, shouldn't be given the glory as to render us all helpless


Posted 11 Years Ago


I like the poem but I completely disagree with it. "To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens." That's Adolf Hitler. Our right to bear arms is the last fighting chance we have to stand out ground as The People

Posted 11 Years Ago


saunved

11 Years Ago

Adolf Hitler meant what he said in a completely different context. Here, the meaning changes radical.. read more
A sad day for the world. A mad man killed 7 children in China the same day. The poor parent will never heal. I agree with your words. A lot of tears for the poor children and teachers. Thank you for sharing the poem. I can't write a poem about this topic. I have children and grand children. This things scare the hell out of me.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Not trying to sound like a smart a*s but, its not the guns Mr. David Lewis Paget, its the person behind the gun, if we ban guns, people will still find ways to kill people, yes, this is a moment of great tragedy in America but all we can do now is grieve, do you understand what I'm saying?

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

fine

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The weapen industry must be very happy, they do not bother about a bad consciousness. Only about a bad reputation. Get rid of that Industry. That is a start. There are so much children killed every day. For a flag, for a country, for a religion. They are killed in different ways. but one thing is for sure.. They are all killed by people.. Human Beings. Old and young. With guns, knifes, or they bully them to death. You can take away the weapens but that doesnt change the people who like to kill.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wish the solution was so simple, but am afraid it's not. Others have made comments about guns, so I'll not go there. One thing is for sure, and that is that something substantial has to be done about this horrible problem. Hopefully, those children and teachers deaths will not have been in vain. Thank you for bravely expressing your thoughts on this volatile subject, David.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh my friend, I soo agree with you! Look at the thousands of people who have been saved here in Oz because of our banned gun laws. My God, this carnage has to stop. We still have deaths by firearms, but we have to try and start somewhere. What is more important my dear U.S. friends, 'THE RIGHT' to own arms? Or just keep loosing precious lives because of old laws and entrenched ideas that I can see is deeply engrained in the people. By the way just how many 'shooters' were taken out trying by people trying to save potential victims.Not many I believe. The 'guns' were of little use in those circumstances.

My heart has been so heavy these past days, it's imaginable what all the families are going through.

Yes, I've heard that cliche "guns don't kill, people do. Sorry that doesn't cut it people.

Good poem David.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very good poem... My question is... What caused him to use the guns? I feel that before he killed those precious children and the teachers and then himself... He was already dead. Why?


Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3005 Views
58 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012
Tags: guns, democracy, madman, sons

Author

David Lewis Paget
David Lewis Paget

Moonta, South Australia, Australia



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heart Heart

A Poem by Tate Morgan