Daughters

Daughters

A Poem by David Lewis Paget

How can you say that I didn’t care

When I planted a cornfield awave  in your hair,

Gifted your eyes of a deep sea blue

That you might see me, and I might see you!

 

I tinted your skin with the blush of a rose

And I fashioned a tilt to the tip of your nose,

But your lips I moulded from sweet honey-dew

So that you could kiss me, and I kiss you!

 

Four dainty fingers on each of your hands

And one with a ridge for a wedding band,

While you lisped and you chattered on long through the day

As I smiled and I listened - what more can I say?

 

I held you sheltered from the hail and the rain

And I tucked you up in a counterpane,

I watched and I whispered as you fell asleep:

‘There’s a rosebud blooming on the angel’s cheek!’

 

But the storm-clouds broke, as the storm-clouds will,

And my love was shattered, and my heart stood still,

You were snatched away when I wasn’t there…

Now, how can you say that I didn’t care?

 

Let me warn you fathers, and fathers to be

That it doesn’t all end as you’d like it to be,

For your little girl grown will tear you apart,

And will leave you aching, as she breaks your heart!

 

David Lewis Paget

© 2012 David Lewis Paget


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

David... how sad and beautiful at the same time.. My heart , my eyes and soul are weeping... for your hurt and I know the love you have for your daughter.. My ex my sons father did his best to turn him against me.. we didn't talk for a while .. but after years of never giving up.. always praying.. my son came back to me and realized the lies his father told him... life hurts don't it... ??? thank God we have our writing to help us.. its great therapy... for me... I am sending lots of hugs dear man... .. it is so nice to meet you here in Cyber Space..
Debbie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Really piognant and powerful write. Awesome

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear David.....a poignant and heart rending write. I know the logistics of a situation such as this, believe me. I won't go into details, but you are so right in what you say in the last para, which sums this up perfectly. Life doesn't always go "according to Hoyle" (had to look up that saying and it's a card game rules or something) !!. Anyway, I digress from this very moving and very common situation, sadly nowadays. I understand my friend. ~ Helena ~

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

David... how sad and beautiful at the same time.. My heart , my eyes and soul are weeping... for your hurt and I know the love you have for your daughter.. My ex my sons father did his best to turn him against me.. we didn't talk for a while .. but after years of never giving up.. always praying.. my son came back to me and realized the lies his father told him... life hurts don't it... ??? thank God we have our writing to help us.. its great therapy... for me... I am sending lots of hugs dear man... .. it is so nice to meet you here in Cyber Space..
Debbie

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a sad tale of lost connections. The young can't seem to see the whole picture and lose themselves in the small details, throwing away the most important bits.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Poignant.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The poetry reads like a father feeling rejected. The tone told me from the beginning that the daughter had disreguarded the father. The father is feeling broken and used but he truly is not broken to my mind because he still feels justified. Pride is still between them. I imagine she inherited that right along with the upturned nose. That is just what I saw here. Still rings like an honest experience of a father who does not understand fully why. Strong emotion here!



Posted 11 Years Ago


Dave the magnitude of sorrow you share is palpable. Leaving an ache that reaches out and touches the very heart of me! I learned that my children can, and have done many things, but the one the they cannot do is take the love we hold in our heart for them!

Your writing touches the the depth of all senses with wisdom, and discernment
I would be honored to have a Dad like YOU! You are a very respected at the Cafe.
I hold you in the Highest Regard, and feel Blessed to know you!
~ Judi xo ***Daughter from the Cafe***

Posted 11 Years Ago


Yes sons and daughter's alike, they all break your heart. been there still going through it alone haven't been the perfect parent done it all wrong still get hurt
for the mistakes I made although I COULDN'T give what I never received a well known fact of life..
bravo once again for outstanding piece of work....

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very beautiful poem here. The words flow to perfection. I have a son and feel like with a mother and son maybe perhaps the sentiment is much the same. This was amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so sentimental and cute, how you described the special characteristics of yourself that you blessed her with, then she grows into a woman and moves on, taking your little girl away forever. sweet and tender.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1106 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 4, 2012
Last Updated on March 9, 2012
Tags: cornfield, rose, rosebud, heart

Author

David Lewis Paget
David Lewis Paget

Moonta, South Australia, Australia



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..