Chapter One- Shock

Chapter One- Shock

A Chapter by Dawn Dreamer
"

-Eleanor finds out what her consequences from the night a couple of weeks ago are-

"
I dropped the phone, my hands shaking as I clasped them to my head. Tears started rolling down my already flushed cheeks as I slid down the wall and sat on the floor, burying my face in my arms. It couldn't be. I couldn't be. The same thoughts kept repeating themselves, spinning around my head until I thought I was going crazy. I could feel a headache coming up already. 

Trying to collect myself, I reached out and took the phone, now lying on the grey-carpeted floor. Shakily, I lifted it to my ear. 

''I-i'm sorry-'' I stammered, ''-it's a lot t-to p-process.''

''Of course, ms Felton. I understand. I think it is best if you come here tomorrow morning and have a test done. Only then can we be one hundred percent sure,'' came the voice from the other end of the receiver.

''T-thank you,'' I hiccuped, before covering my mouth in shame. I sounded and acted like a child. At the thought of a child my eyes filled with tears once more. How could this have happened?

I hung up the phone, and let myself go. Sobbing, I dragged myself upstairs and crawled into bed. If only I hadn't gone to that stupid party. If only I hadn't drunk so much alcohol. My sobs must have been loud enough to hear over all the house, because I heard footsteps on the stairs and a hurried knocking on my door. My little sister must be home. The door opened slowly and my sister stuck her head around it. 

''Are you okay?'' she asked worriedly.

I shook my head, feeling very selfish. I should have just said, 'yes, I'm fine, I just had a fight with Cara' or thought of some kind of excuse, but I couldn't bring myself to lie. 

''What is it?'' she asked, coming in and closing the door behind her. She made her way to the bed, expertly avoiding the piles of clothes I had thrown on the floor in attempt to get ready for a date. I didn't think there was going to be any date tonight. Nobody would want to be with someone in my condition. 

I opened my mouth to answer, but no words came out. Instead I choked up and started coughing. Em rushed to my side, and started patting my back. I felt extremely horrible. Here I was, facing my well-deserved consequences from being so irresponsible, and all I could do was cause trouble for my sister. 

''Don't worry, Em,'' I said, trying to sound as normal as possible. ''It's that time of the month again.'' I wish.

''I've seen you when you're PMSing, sis. You don't act like this. Come on, I may be two seconds younger, but I'm not dumb. What happened to telling each other everything?'' she asked, gently. She put her arms around me and I laid my head on her shoulder. 

''Please don't hate me, Ems. I d-didn't mean to, it j-just happened. I knew I had had t-too many v-vodka's, b-but it was too late. Then today I realized I was t-too l-late and d-did the t-test-'' I couldn't speak. My throat was so choked up from trying not to cry. Em's arms tightened around my shaking frame as my words dawned on her. 

''You mean...'' she trailed off, her voice trembling. I nodded, not trusting my voice. I felt bad for putting this stress on her. I thought of screaming 'prank!' but I knew she'd never believe me, and it was too late to back out now. I just didn't want this load on her as well. I had messed things up again.

''-and I won't judge you. Ever,'' Em finished. The words filled me with warmth. Gratefully, I turned so I could hug her, burying my face in her shoulder. I felt her sigh, and she held me closer.

''I love you, sis. Whatever happens. And I'd love to be an aunt.'' I could feel her grinning.

''I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, Em,'' I drew back. ''Mom and dad are literally going to kill me! I'm- I'm considering abortion.'' I hung my head, ashamed of myself. I was against abortion. It killed me to think of killing an unborn child, weak and defenseless, but right now I couldn't think of anything else to keep my parents from finding out. 

Em drew back, her jaw clenching. ''You are not going to abort that child, El. Don't you dare!''

''It's not your decision to make!'' I raised my voice. ''You're not the one carrying a child inside of you! You're not about to get kicked out and disowned by your own parents!''

Em went quiet, her shoulders stiffening. ''Well,'' she said quietly. ''I wouldn't kill a child that was created just because of my stupidity. You did something stupid, it's time to grow up and realize that you have to face the consequences.''

She got up and walked to the door. Just before walking out, she stopped and turned to look at me. ''Good luck with your conscience.''


© 2015 Dawn Dreamer


Author's Note

Dawn Dreamer
Well, the first chapter's up! Tell me what you think! :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was really good:) It was interesting in all places! Also really suspenseful too. I really love the way you write, it makes me want to read more. Your story line seems really interesting and I can't wait to read more. Keep up the good work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I love the suspense at the beginning. It seems like its going to be a good book, cant wait to read the next chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Dawn, you had me at the opening sentence! Good job! Your character HAS a personality and a style about her- she has a way of speaking, moving etc. Since she is a college student about to graduate, I would improve her grammar skills, however, just a bit. Not so much as to sound like a term paper, but just enough to bring her up to college level. Keep up the good work! off to the next chapter!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hello - punchy start.

You need an editor - lots of grammar and punctuation mistakes ('sure." came the voice', 'hiccuped' 'acting so irresponsible' etc.).

Some cliche, too: 'her eyes blazing'.

Good luck with the rest.


Posted 8 Years Ago


Dawn Dreamer

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your comment. I haven't gone through the chapters yet and edited, sorry, I'll do that .. read more
Waytara

8 Years Ago

Your writing has good rhythm and immediacy, hope it goes well. Have you read The Millstone, by Marga.. read more
Dawn Dreamer

8 Years Ago

No, I haven't read it- but I will definitely put it on my reading list. Thank you again :D
Nice first chapter. It kinda felt like an episode from a drama series. I sense a lot of drama and moral questions in the next chapters. Well done.

I noticed two small things:

"It's that time of the year again."
Pretty sure this needs to be "month" instead of "year", and her sister's answer confirms that.

"I just didn't want this load on her as well."
You also used "as well" two sentences back. It sounds a bit weird, having that same ending two times so soon after each other.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Dawn Dreamer

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Oops, awkward. I'm pretty sure I meant to type 'month' :D
You're ri.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 10, 2015
Last Updated on December 11, 2015


Author

Dawn Dreamer
Dawn Dreamer

Profile picture isn't me!!, United Kingdom



About
Hey!! I'm Dawn Dreamer, but you can call me Dawn. I love any genre books from Romance to Science Fiction or Chick Flick, except Horror or Thriller... I love writing Fantasy, since I have a very big.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Dawn Dreamer