Mr. Timberline

Mr. Timberline

A Story by Rambling Prose
"

Short Allegory

"

 

 

© Crystal Dawn. All Rights Reserved.

 

Who says, bare isn't beautiful?

 

Dare we echo this in the hollow of Timberline’s stage? With his burly roots deeply embedded within the crevices of Grand Canyon's South Rim, his outstretched limbs seemed to cry, "Holy is the Land!"

 

It is a wonderfully liberating feeling when one comes to terms with this simple, yet profound truth: it is possible to stand tall and to do so with confidence, however lowly our station in life and all while in the presence of such grandeur.

 

This is a reality Timberline truly embraced. Surrounded by red rock and blue skies he's on top of the world relishing his day in the sun.

 

His lack of a showy external dress consisting of weathered bark and leafless twigs need not cause his limbs to wither in shame, for beneath his peel is a delightfully smooth inner beauty.

 

At the ushering in of winter's frost he stands humbly, yet proud, without so much as a murmur, as his nakedness is magically transformed in to a shimmering ice statue.

 

The exquisiteness of Timberline's thick trunk is beautiful in its own right, but his beauty reaches far beyond his outer surface. Beneath his rock bed your mind’s eye is beckoned to explore his roots; they are truly the secret behind his quiet strength and unscathed beauty.

 

Trees grow in myriads of shapes and sizes, all blooming at different stages of their growth. These differences define their individuality and uniqueness. Timberline is not unlike more stately trees in that he too displays a crown of bark and twigs. It matters not that he has been stripped of his leaves his crown cannot be taken from him, it's simply a part of his family tree.

 

As I stood above a hole in the ground a mile deep, my gaze fell upon this tree of which I speak. While it is true—Timberline lacked a display of showy leaves dancing to the tune of wind’s gentle breeze—in no way did this tree lack inner-strength and abounding beauty.

 

When we take care to dig below the surface in an effort to see beyond the superfluity of outer beauty, it is not difficult to grasp hold of the root of what truly matters.

 

Don’t judge a tree by its cover or lack thereof.

 

© 2008 Rambling Prose


Author's Note

Rambling Prose
While at the Grand Canyon two-years-ago, my eyes fell upon this amazing tree. Hence, the seed for this allegory piece - was planted. If you care to see the photo, simply click on the photo tab on my profile page. Then click on the photo for an enlarged view...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've commented on this piece before. It's a thoughtful, poetic piece of writing which successfully probes beneath surface appearances.

Only two minor things I'd point out: in the 4th paragraph, 'grander' should be 'grandeur' I think (majesty); and later on, you've got 'cannot not be taken from him' instead of just 'cannot'. Sorry for being so persnickety.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Excellent, just excellent. Living in the forest in the Black Hills I can I believe relate to what you have written. It is amazing how a tree can inspire the imagination. Very well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is simply beautiful. the way you conveyed your words and the love and admiration of this tree. writing about history and nature is fascinating to me. this might be my faveorite so far

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's a short story but it appeals to me like a poem. a lot of symbols, i guess. it's full of imagery...almost like a poem. beautifully written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a beautiful piece, complex and lyrical. nicely done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you Rich Prince for pointing those things out to me. I have made the changes. Although 'grander' is indeed a proper word, I've chosen your version, which is certainly more eloquent, and it paints a much prettier image - visually.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I've commented on this piece before. It's a thoughtful, poetic piece of writing which successfully probes beneath surface appearances.

Only two minor things I'd point out: in the 4th paragraph, 'grander' should be 'grandeur' I think (majesty); and later on, you've got 'cannot not be taken from him' instead of just 'cannot'. Sorry for being so persnickety.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

power runs deep through this piece...


Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 27, 2008
Last Updated on September 13, 2008

Author

Rambling Prose
Rambling Prose

New York



About
I'm hidden amongst the rambling rose, entwined within my rambling prose�please beware of the thorns. I'm a budding new writer who hasn't got a clue. I love words, but only know a few. I'm.. more..

Writing
Signs Signs

A Story by Rambling Prose