The Office

The Office

A Chapter by Dayna Clarke
"

And thus, we face the consequences; Tristan Redd gets confronted by his superior.

"
I hate Grind's office, and I always have. There's just something about this room that seems hostile and eager for conflicts. Perhaps it's the large white walls with dark furnishings; the contrast comes across as bitter. Perhaps it's the tidiness, how everything is spotless and seemingly untouched " it's like he hasn't been here very long, yet Grind is the only Knight-Commander I can recall.
Perhaps that hostility from the room comes from the carved oak chair, with white cushioning on the seat, which sits behind the unnaturally tidy oak desk. However, the more likely source of visitor discomfort is not the chair; the chair does not radiate tension, but the person sitting in it - the armour-clad man bearing the crest of The Order he commands.
The tension resonates from Grind. His narrow grey eyes focus on me, scolding me before saying anything at all. He stands and walks around both the desk and myself, his eyes burn into me. I show no expression, I know Grind feasts off of retaliation.
"Where is he, Redd?" Commander Grind questions me in a vague manner; intentionally vague, too, and I hate it.
"Where is whom, sir?" I ask as he walks around from behind me again,
"You know damn well who!" He roars angrily, stopping in his tracks to face me, "Where is your Captain, Lieutenant?"
"Captain Luke died on duty," I say, trying not to go into detail about what happened " what he'd do if only he knew the truth. I would be a dead man walking, and not for much longer, "There was no way he'd have made it out,"
"You expect me to believe that?" Grind returns to his seat and stares into my eyes, trying to unravel the secrets I keep. My mind is not a ball of wool " I am not going to subdue so simply, "So, he died, did he? How did it happen?"
"We were attacked by maleficar," I state; I can prolong this for only so long, "He was struck down. The maleficar were killed and then Captain Luke died too,"
"That's not what another recruit told me," Says the Commander, "He tells me that a maleficar didn't kill Captain Luke, instead you did,"
The room becomes hot and heavy, breathing took more effort than it should; this may be the end. "Is it true, Lieutenant?"
Oh Leto, guide me with Your sacred light to the next world, for I fear I shall not be in this one much longer. I shall always honour You, for I know nothing in comparison to You. Oh guide me, Leto, guide me forevermore.
"Is it true?!" He slams his hands onto his desk as he bellows at me. I simply blink and look at him as he towers over me.
"Yes," I say blankly, "I did make the final blow, but it was his final request. I could not deprive a fellow Knight " a brother-in-arms, a friend " such a thing."
"You will be punished," Grind growls, "You cannot get away with murder, boy; not here, not under my commands!"
"Sir," I say faintly, "I have just lost my best friend to mages " to pride and greed of two sides " I have punishment enough, do you not agree?"
I stand but my knees grow weak, though weaker as the images of Captain Luke in pain replay in my mind. Grind falls silent and dismisses me, contemplating some cruel, deserved punishment for fulfilling the dying wish of a friend. I retreat to the Hall of Leto to pray and repent.
Much repentance, but prayer for the fallen warrior comes first.


© 2012 Dayna Clarke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 11, 2012
Tags: knights, magic, mages, oppression, fantasy


Author

Dayna Clarke
Dayna Clarke

London, Enfield, United Kingdom



About
I write poetry, stories, songs and the occasional random paragraph that connects to nothing. more..

Writing