The Life I Will Never Have

The Life I Will Never Have

A Story by Chris Rampersad
"

Hope you like this one

"
     Sid sat next to Luke quietly on that hospital bench. Luke didn't look at him, instead his look was one of someone deep in thought with a smile on his face. "Did you hear? Barry woke up from his coma and now he's recovered it's a miracle all his internal wounds seem to have disappeared he's going to make it. I mean just a couple hours ago the doctors had given up, that accident, only he survived, and even his wounds have disappeared. My god it' s a miracle." Luke now looked up at him quietly with a gentle smile on his face as he spoke. "Jenna says as soon as they release him they're gonna get married." Luke just smiled. "Luke!" a voice came running towards him and like it always had every time he saw her his heart skipped a beat. 
     
     Jenna looked so happy he thought and to him that made what he had done all the more worth it. She hugged him, "Luke did you hear? Barry's gonna be okay." "Yeah Sid was just telling me it was a miracle." Tears were now running down her cheeks, "I just want to thank you for being there for me your such a good friend." "It was nothing no way I was gonna let my best friend go through this alone." "Thank you so much Luke." "...Yeah." "Oh yeah Barry says he wants to see you." "HMM?" "Did you two know each other you never said anything all this time." Luke quickly tried to mask the surprise on his face. "Ah. um. I forgot?." Jenna looked at him suspiciously, she knew he was lying but decided not to push it for now. "Well you could go see him now the doctor wants to talk to his family and his mother asked me to come along." Luke nodded OK. She smiled and kissed him on the cheek, "Thank you again Luke. You're a good friend." then she walked off to join Barry's family. Luke sat back down on the bench it seems while they were talking Sid had slipped away to get something to eat. Luke sat alone for a minute it was quiet except for the occasional cough and the air was filled with the scent of chlorine and other cleaning substances. As if finally able to build up enough courage he stood up and headed to the room Barry was warded in. 
    
      Barry sat up as soon as he entered the room. He looked a lot better than he had looked a couple hours ago they had removed all the machines that was basically keeping him alive, his bandages were removed he had no more wounds, he was still hooked up to a drip bag and a heart monitor which beeped with every beat of his heart. Luke smiled at him and he smiled back and gestured to a chair beside his bed he had watched Jenna crying on that very chair not too long ago. He smiled politely and sat down. They both stared at each other the awkwardness making Luke shift in his seat. "I saw you in a dream." Barry said breaking the silence. "No. That wasn't a dream, I was standing between life and death and I could feel myself moving closer to the end and you pulled me back. You know what I'm talking about don't you." Luke was silent. "You're... you're like an angel." the remark made Luke burst out laughing, he somehow couldn't help himself the notion seemed so funny, to be honest he never quite wondered what he was, he looked up at Barry who now had a look of surprise and confusion so Luke decided he should stop before that look changed to annoyance. He sighed and became quiet for a minute. "Barry could I tell you my story?"  Barry looked surprised still but nodded. 
    
      Luke leaned back in his chair. "When I was born my mother said at the exact moment everyone in the hospital recovered, they say it was a miracle and nobody knew why and what was the cause but the next day the hospital had no patients that were present that night they were all discharged. As I grew I understood that I had a special gift. No one told me or taught me how. I simply just knew. My gift was that I could literally give up a part of my life to someone, of course my life becomes shorter but I could give any amount I wanted an hour,a minute a second." "... So if someone dies can you bring them back?" Barry asked.  "I thought I could." Luke answered his face looked sad. "That was the one thing I wasn't very sure about... that was answered the day my old man died I cant resurrect those that was already gone. I can heal sickness  but only by giving up an hour or two from my life. And in return I get to see that person's future." Barry looked at him amazed at what he was hearing, anyone who had not seen it first hand would not have an,easy time believing it. "To date I had used 7 years of my life curing friends with cancer, or whatever terminal diseases a relative might have, I never once thought of it... that is until I met Jenna." Luke stared at the floor. He could feel Barry staring at the top of his head. He was silent. "Jenna came into my life and we became friends and I suddenly didn't want to heal anyone. I wanted to spend as much of my life I had left with her in it. I fell in love...." The silence in the room made Luke's ears ring. "You ever told her how you felt?" "No... besides I was never in the ball park. Did she ever tell you that she was sick with pneumonia it was bad. I gave her 1 hour of my life to heal her... and I saw her future she was always meant to be with you. It never stopped me from caring about her though. She is a good person Barry." Barry nodded in agreement. They were silent again. "Luke?" "Yeah?" "How much of your life did you use on me?" Luke chuckled. He knew Barry would eventually ask. He sighed. "You were literally at the door to the afterlife my friend, to bring you back I had to use all of mine to pull you back" Barry's face was filled with horror. Seeing that Luke shifted his eyes to the floor nervously. And when he looked up again there were tears running down Barry's cheeks. He wasn't sure what to do and then Barry jumped out of bed and hugged him which made Luke very uncomfortable "Why would you do that man? You don't even know me?" "That's true I don't really know you, but I know you make her happy, I know you always will, because I saw it." Barry sat back down on his bed and Luke now got up to leave. He turned towards the door and said, "Barry I have to ask you to never tell her what happened to me please." "But-" "No buts please do this for me." Barry sighed and nodded, "Tell her I said I was so glad to have had her in my life... Now Barry go and live your life."

© 2014 Chris Rampersad


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a great story.People can be so giving and wonderful.In a time where the world has changed so much this is a story of hope and friendship and sacrifice.Truly a wonderful write :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Chris Rampersad

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Vidya Bacchus

9 Years Ago

You are very welcome :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 16, 2014
Last Updated on August 16, 2014
Tags: Romance, Sacrifice, Friendship

Author

Chris Rampersad
Chris Rampersad

Point Fortin, Trinidad and Tobago



Writing