Midnights Invitation

Midnights Invitation

A Poem by Donni
"

I wrote this the day after a friend passed in a tragic car accident. I wanted to honor the vibrancy of her life and to always be reminded to celebrate the moments that we have.... I've never gone back to alter a single word. I have a hard time correctin

"

Fragrant air whispers an invitation through the ancestral lace at the open window,
ambient sound created by nature’s nocturnal orchestra
beckoning me to step out into the waxing moonlit night
and partake in the primordial rhythm of life pulsating in every corner of the darkness.

The incessant pentameter of the hallway clock speaks to me of man’s obsession
with time and space. I ignore its message of how few the hours are till obligations will be laid once again at my table. I grab my wrap and my feet make haste to the back door.

Crossing over the threshold of structure and propriety, my toes curl with delight into the dewy blades of grass, a child like giggle escapes my smiling lips. The giggle builds into a joyous laugh that erupts from the depths of my being, followed by a wistful sigh that is filled with appreciation and thankfulness for these stolen moments.

Honeysuckle vine, heavy with rich nectar spread out along the weathered wooden arbor, relinquishing its sweet succulent essence to the zephyr wind that tickles the tender white bloom  to capture the scent and presents it to me as a gift, one that holds me in rapturous awe as I breath deeply into the night.

What delights for the senses await me just beyond the dense formidable hedge? Out there in the vast fields of willowy grass that sway to an fro in effortless precision, my heart pounds loudly in my chest and I rush forward with ardor and abandonment.


There, in that heaving sea of muted green and gold fronds, the moonbeams cast their magical rays of light down to grace me with tender kisses upon my upturned face as I watch Cassiopeia dance just beyond the passing clouds. I twirl in clockwise circles and align myself to north’s true compass, I am vast and expansive, singular and minute and all is calm and all is chaos, the pendulum of life is anchored in the palm of my hand.

In those blessed moments, I bask in my human form as earth and heaven converge within my heart. Then, quietly I turn. Walking slowly back to the warm comforts of brick and mortar. I am forever awakened from within and sleep will never more be the shackles of the trance of human complacency. My blood runs hot and my thoughts are clear and my purpose has changed since Midnight’s invitation.
 

© 2009 Donni


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow I am impressed as hell with this one. I can't believe it didn't get any reviews, this is more awesome than the last one I read of yours. I could feel your descriptions as if I was living in that persons body. You painted a vivid rich environment with a flow that held me glued to her passion about her reality in the moment. EXCELLENT write. I am truly impressed by this one!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderfully expressed. You have taken the elements of holding onto life really well. As for not correcting it, I would have to say, excellent! lol
Beautifully written friend!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


Beautiful poem. Very well done. You have done an incredible job of painting a masterpiece with your words; filling the canvas with image, texture, and emotion.

Outstanding!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

God you are a true dreamer and a poet my friend ,very few with these feelings and senses,very few will reply to midnight invitation
Air whispers ,inviting me..natures nocturnal orchestra,call for me to step out into moonlit night,and feel life pulsating in every corner
clock speaks to me in time and space,but i ignore the message and take to the outside.to the moonlit night
child like giggles escape my lips,wistful sighs filled with appreciation and thankfulness of these stolen moments
vast fields of willowy grass sway,my heart pounds loud as i rush in ardor and abandonmemt..
i twirl in circles,vast ,expansive and minute,all calm ,all chaos,pendulum of life in palm of my hand
what a lovely dreamy write..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow I am impressed as hell with this one. I can't believe it didn't get any reviews, this is more awesome than the last one I read of yours. I could feel your descriptions as if I was living in that persons body. You painted a vivid rich environment with a flow that held me glued to her passion about her reality in the moment. EXCELLENT write. I am truly impressed by this one!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 10, 2009
Last Updated on April 15, 2009

Author

Donni
Donni

Largo, FL



About
Can I write? Yes. But can I write well? Probably not, but I will continue to work at it, because I love the written word- or well written words strung together to convey a great thought. I don't edit.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Am Womanly! I Am Womanly!

A Poem by Donni