Peaches and Cream

Peaches and Cream

A Story by DeliriousCerises
"

Finding love in unexpected places

"

Nate put on his heavy overcoat, a long, woolen, red affair, to protect against the drizzly weather outside. Then after dawning a wool cap and scarf he headed out the door, down the stoop to the curb. As soon as the bright yellow taxi pulled up he hopped inside and gave the driver an address. He pulled a fat envelope out of his inner coat pocket. The return address read: Evolynn Grow. His twin sister didn't believe in writing emails, at least not to keep in touch. Maybe for on the fly need to know information, but never to just share their lives. She always said letters were more personal, it created a special bond between the reader and the writer.


Nate,

I've met the most marvelous man. He's everything girls say they want. He's tall, dark, and handsome. He's very romantic. He gave me flowers at our very first meeting. And I tell you this, because I know you worry. But I'm moving on. I understand things I didn't before. I'm wiser now.


Nate let his breath out in a quiet sigh and leaned farther back into the taxi seat. Leaves swirled by the taxi window as they turned onto a winding country road. The clouds were beginning to part. The last time the twins spoke in person was a less than pleasant encounter. She had come and stayed the night in his four story walk-up. Her caring boyfriend at the time had locked her out once again. She refused to talk about it, but Nate knew there were more seedy things happening at their humble abode. He could see her purple thigh she tried to hide with long skirts.


It was a restless night, tension building until it all came to a head. Her storming out. They had fought once again about her boyfriend. He called incessantly through the night, and she would obediently answer each time, though the consequences were always the same, an angry voice that eventually hung up on her. After a few times of this, Nate had enough and took the phone from Evolynn's hand, politely asked the irate man on the other end to stop calling until morning and hung up. Then he turned the phone off and put it in his pocket before sitting down with a hysterical Evolynn to try and assuage the situation.


They fought that night. Nate wanted to be a good brother. He wanted to support Eve in all her decisions, but he couldn't get behind this boyfriend. But none of that mattered anymore. They apparently broke-up.


This one treats me right. We've been together for a few months now. He takes care of me and he makes me feel fun and spontaneous. I'm sure you expected this, but we got tattoos. Hearts of course. But special hearts. They're peaches in the shape of hearts. His is on his chest. He tells me I'm his first love. I know better than to believe that, but it's still sweet. Mine is on my front hip pelvic region. It's a bit tender.


The taxi came to a stop; the sun was shining through the cold winter air. Nate stepped out and paid the driver. Then the taxi was gone, in a rush, Nate presumed, as most people are these days. He was a bit out of town, in a quaint forest cottage kind of place. Forest enough to see the occasional wolf, bear, or deer; civilized enough to feel safe. He was going to visit his sister. She came here after her last relationship fell apart. Evolynn had a tattoo for every relationship she entered. She believed feeling something as strong as love changed you, even if the relationship fades away, your love is a memory that never fades, like a tattoo. The path in front of Nate was slightly overgrown, and covered in leaves that reminded him of the crushed red peppers he always put on his pizza. No one had been here since she passed away last year.


I'm going to visit his family for Christmas. They're ecstatic to meet me he says. I really can't wait, though I'm a bit... or more than a bit nervous. Wish me luck. I'll be by for New Years, and then you can meet him. He's nothing like the last ones. He's different from everyone, but you can't always control who completes your soul, right?

Take care,

Eve.


The crunching footsteps came to a halt. In front of Nate stood a large peach tree, though one couldn't tell by looking at it. It was an old tree, and most of the leaves had fallen to the ground. Of course, no fruit were on it either. It would be Christmas in a couple weeks. He studied the tree for a moment. It really was the perfect climbing tree, branches spaced wide enough to fit between, while being close enough to reach easily. He put his hand on the tree, there was a heart carved into the trunk. He traced it gingerly with his fingers. Reaching into his deep inner coat pocket he felt the top of a tightly bound bag. Only you, Eve, would find your soul mate in a tree. He pulled the bag out, opened it, and poured out its contents. A slight breeze picked up as fine ashes swirled through the branches.


“Goodbye Evolynn, I miss you.” he patted the trunk, “Take care of her."

© 2012 DeliriousCerises


Author's Note

DeliriousCerises
So when I wrote this story I had an idea, but with no idea how to convey that idea. I love constructive criticism, so don't spare my feelings. Let me know everything I can do to improve it.

Acknowledgement: The Picture is from Deviantart.com by akanechann titled "Love and Peaches"

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I was so close to tears by the end of this, even though the idea of someone falling in love with a tree isn't terribly sad, you made it sad. The only thing I had a qualm with was the 'Evolyn, Eve' at the end, the same name doens't need to be repeated twice, I think just one would be fine. But apart from that, this was absolutely wonderful, a really great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very moving story from beginning to end. It truly touched my heart. I look forward to reading more of your writing. Again awesomr job in telling very moving story with a very suprising ending.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was so close to tears by the end of this, even though the idea of someone falling in love with a tree isn't terribly sad, you made it sad. The only thing I had a qualm with was the 'Evolyn, Eve' at the end, the same name doens't need to be repeated twice, I think just one would be fine. But apart from that, this was absolutely wonderful, a really great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow that is a errie twist at the end, you weren't kidding! I don't usually read stories, but I didn't find this boring at all. I think you have a kind of style well suited to stories about 10-15 pages long.

I'm totally disturbed by that ending, hehe.

I'd be happy to read something longer actually.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First off, I really liked it. It was very descriptive, well written and the story really came to life in my head. I only noticed a few mistakes, all of which are minor.
In two of Eve’s letters one He should be He’s, you just forgot the ’s, no worries though, happens to me a lot!
In the seventh paragraph, shinning should be shining (i.e. The taxi came to a stop; the sun was shining through the cold winter air).
In the last paragraph it’s should be its (i.e. He pulled the bag out, opened it, and pour out its contents (maybe, use poured instead of pour, since the rest of the sentence is past tense)).
Otherwise, a wonderful story! I loved how you ended it, great emotion and lovely descriptions.

Moon

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2011
Last Updated on July 5, 2012
Previous Versions

Author

DeliriousCerises
DeliriousCerises

About
You can call me Cherry. I love all forms of art, they are like therapy for the soul. I used to write, stories and poem and such, but then I stopped for a long time. All I did was journal, but recently.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Liberation Liberation

A Poem by Hayley