In The Middle Of The Sea

In The Middle Of The Sea

A Chapter by Summer D.
"

A short spin-off of my current series in production. About the boy who never ages, can never die, a prisoner to time. The one you will find standing, in the middle of the sea.

"
In The Middle Of The Sea


Another train rattled by noisily, shaking the single, flickering overhead light above the two silhouetted figures on the creaky bed. They sat in silence, content with each others company, the youngest one’s arms wrapped around the others waist. They weren’t bothered by the peeling wallpaper or the drunken yells of the landlord at his wife. Amongst the chaos and darkness they had found their innermost piece. The younger one rested her head gingerly on her mother’s shoulder; stifling yet another yawn that attempted to squeeze its way through. Her raven curls, smelled like cinnamon, and felt like silk" unusual for a child of her color.

Pulling away her curtain of hair from her child’s face, the older woman, shifted her so she could see her more clearly. Eyes, the color of amber, peeped back at her shyly as they disappeared rapidly under a fall of dark lashes. “ Kate, baby, don’t go to sleep,” The woman rocked her gently, “You have eyes like the sun you know.“ “ I wanna go to sleep.” “ You can’t baby.” “ Why not?” “ Just for now.” “ I want a story then.” The woman didn’t argue she just sighed softly before clearing her throat. “ You know the routine sunshine. Close those pretty eyes.”


Obediently, Katelyn squeezed her eyes shut tightly, not daring to take a peek. “ There’s a story about a boy who never ages,” A small smile creased her cherry red lips when Katelyn snorted in annoyance. “ Momma, that’s Peter Pan.” “ No baby, this boy came before that silly green one. He’s as old as time.” “ That’s old.” She chuckled placing her left arm around Katelyn’s small frame. “ This boy is trapped. He doesn’t want to be as old as time. He feels sad.”

“ Where is he now?” “ Well he’s been missing for a few years now,” she dropped her voice into a stage whisper, “ but I’ve met him.” Katelyn bounced on her knee excitedly and her mother let out a chuckle. “ Calm down! Calm down! He’ll be back. They say, when our own sun has burned out on us he’ll come back with thirteen brand new ones!” “ Like my eyes?” A sad smile touched the corner of her lips and she whispered softly, “ Like your eyes.” “ What if somebody pretends to be him?” “ Oh no star child. You’ll feel it in your bones when it’s him.” “ Like the trains?” “ Like the trains.” She agreed planting a quick kiss on Katelyn’s forehead. “ Where will he be?” “ In the middle of the sea.”



© 2012 Summer D.


Author's Note

Summer D.
This is a little spin off my seven-book series that I have yet to begin writing. The characters mentioned in this story are from the book. Katelyn, being the main female protagonist, and Leto undoubtedly being the main male protagonist. The woman mentioned is Katelyn’s mother, who despite her unusual entrance and exit, is very fleshed and developed. They all have a life of their own. I refrained from introducing her younger sister, Uriel, because it does not so much focus on her (at this point anyway). I can’t say much more except that the title is a little bit metaphorical. When she first spots Leto, it’s at the weirdest of times, and location. She has just finished a little visit and catches a ride on the bus. Walking to the back of the bus, she glances out the wide window, to see a dark-haired boy standing in the busy and very crowded streets of New York calmly. That’s Leto for you but then again he has a sort of advantage. He’s not exactly unprotected, I guess, he’s next to a motorcycle... staring straight at her. The plot has a quick pick-up but that doesn’t detract from the complexity and symbolic beauty of it. New York is much like a raging sea. Yet, he stood in the middle of the sea. Oh, I’d mention the title but I’m going to refrain from it until I’ve finished and published it. :P You have no idea, how badly I wish my characters were real. Oh how much fun it’d be. Yes, I know this piece is tragically short but there wasn’t much to say. :)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

so, you write stories too... not bad... this part makes a nice intro. No problems that I can see, though the dialogue format is unusual. So far, so good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is awsomeness!!!!! I want to read even more *claps* bravo! Bravo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a beautiful scene and I would like to read more of yours. You really have a way with words and beautiful phrasing. A little grammatical cleanup would make it easier to read. I hope you keep writing, you have talent!

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was...Awesome. Very inspiring *claps* Bravo!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
That was awesome! I really like your writing style and use of soo many adjectives. Is your book published? If it is, what is it called? I really really want to buy it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


OH MY GOD. I am seriously behind on this one. First off, this was great! But maybe, you should format the talking a little more. It's very confusing to the reader to understand who's talking. But other than that, I loved it!


Posted 12 Years Ago


wow even if it was short i got alot from it but it also left me hanging with questions and wanting to know more.
this is an amazing job here
love it!!!!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2012
Last Updated on February 8, 2012


Author

Summer D.
Summer D.

Deep Within My Thoughts, CA



About
I am here. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Soldier The Soldier

A Poem by Ami N.