My Brick Road

My Brick Road

A Poem by Destinyxi
"

Even at 20, my parents are still trying to control my life. Having me live out the lives they've always wanted to live.

"

My Brick Road

 

I don’t need to be controlled

You can’t treat me like a doll

You can’t place me on a bed

Position my arms

Position my legs

Tilt my head a certain way

And expect me to stay

Looking all pretty

 

You can’t treat me like a dog

Tell me to sit

Tell me to stay

Tell me to roll over

Put a treat in front of me

And have me not devour it

 

You can’t treat me like a puppet

Tug my strings

Have me move on your command

Every movement

Is because of you

 

I’ve let you control me

For so many years

Now I’m all grown up

And I’m ready to make my own path

Walk along my freshly laid out bricks

I can’t have you breathing down my neck

Motioning me in one direction

 

That direction

That decision

Is mine to make

Not yours

Not his

Not hers

It’s mine

I’ll be damned if you take that from me

 

I’m not your doll

I’m not your dog

I’m not your puppet

I’m my own person

Deal with it

Or close your eyes

And pretend your little girl

Isn’t little anymore 

© 2012 Destinyxi


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My parents were assertive but never overly-controlling. I've known people with overbearing parents though, and I know it must suck.On their behalf I appreciate this. Just remember that sometimes we let ourselves be controlled, even if we don't realize it, because it's much easier than taking that control for ourselves. Good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
C.
So, i didn't read the little thing about the parents at first and i totally thought this was a story about rape, so i was really sad :/ but, i can totally relate to the parent thing. My parents try and control everything I do, it's highly annoying.

Posted 11 Years Ago


K I'm still in the process of going through all of your stuff though I think I've read most of it by now, and I think this is my favourite to this point...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good strong bite to this poem. It isn't always easy to say these sorts of words to your parents, but they're needed at some point or another. You're shaping your life as you see it ought to be now, and it'll be a beautiful life worth living. Keep staying strong, and explore new paths in life to see which direction is the right one for you to go.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing! I love the title of the poem as much as the poem itself. Great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


My parents were assertive but never overly-controlling. I've known people with overbearing parents though, and I know it must suck.On their behalf I appreciate this. Just remember that sometimes we let ourselves be controlled, even if we don't realize it, because it's much easier than taking that control for ourselves. Good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The repetition detracts from the power of your concept. Aural motif is practically irrelevant because of it, like in a cheap turn of a pop song. Sorry.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Laura Maidah

11 Years Ago

I get that it is a useful delineation sometimes. But it combats the structural phonetics and tone of.. read more
Destinyxi

11 Years Ago

Does it? There isn't much of a structure to this poem haha, just a few stanzas, that's all.
Laura Maidah

11 Years Ago

Yeah. Just an edit ought to wip it into shape.
Wow. Powerful and wonderful and impressive.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kes
This is great. My parents are doing the same kind of thing to me at the moment, so I really feel this. But I think you put the emotion across so well that I wouldn't have to have experienced it to understand.
Great work. :)
K

Posted 11 Years Ago


Always come a time when a person must stand their ground. Being a adult and having responsibilities make us grow up and make us want to decide our life decisions. I like the complete poem and the strong ending. Thank you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is very powerful and it leads straight to the point, no rhyming is making this even better. I didn't noticed any grammatic error, so i think it's clean.
I read it more times cause it's fast no matter of it's length.
Thanks for sharing..Keep it up buddy :D

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012

Author

Destinyxi
Destinyxi

Canada



About
I'm back after a 10 year hiatus. I write poetry and erotic short stories. Feel free to check out my work 😊 more..

Writing
A Sign A Sign

A Poem by Destinyxi


No Words No Words

A Poem by Destinyxi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..