I Identify as Me

I Identify as Me

A Poem by Devin Gates
"

When was the last time you heard someone identify as the person they were born to be?

"

I Identify as Me


When I was just a boy, things were less confusing,

When I was just a boy, gender was a lot less amusing.

You could either be born a boy, or a girl,

It was a topic that did not warrant the input of the world.


Now I am older, and things are so much more confusing,

Now I am older, and topics of race, gender, and nationality are a lot more amusing.

You can now be born a boy, and identify as a girl,

You can be born a white American, and identify as the smartest Filipino in the world.


What about Me?

Well, the bank didn’t believe a word of my plan,

They didn’t identify me as a rich middle aged man.


I was born as a boy, and I identify as such,

I was born into poverty, and I never had much.

I was born with white skin, and I do not feel guilt.

I was born with an open mind, and watched this irrational world being built.


What about Me?

I have come to find that there is only one Me,

And believe it or not, I identify as He.

© 2017 Devin Gates


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I appreciate the viewpoint. In this PC world today for some reason if we feel differently than the new norm, we are in the wrong. I haven’t figured that out yet, but I think we should respect everyone’s right to their opinion and have some honest dialogue. Great poem!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

When we were younger everything was less confusing. As my personal experience, I understand that as we get older we know more and sometime we question the world.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very true. Many individuals tend to join the “special snowflake fan wagon”. I believe that everyone in this world is unique in their own special way, but that doesn’t mean people need to make themselves fit into certain groups that... they just don’t. To all those people out there who don’t feel they are special and have to compensate some other way. You Are. You just may consider your abnormality normal because you have lived with it, not taking into account it’s extreme value, your whole life.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Morgan Bland

6 Years Ago

Whoops :P. Aren’t on the first are
kinda cute, got a little chuckle out of it. enjoyed the flow and rhyme

Posted 6 Years Ago


Devin Gates

6 Years Ago

Thank you, I am very glad you got a chuckle out of it.
I appreciate the viewpoint. In this PC world today for some reason if we feel differently than the new norm, we are in the wrong. I haven’t figured that out yet, but I think we should respect everyone’s right to their opinion and have some honest dialogue. Great poem!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem is a nice change in pace. I believe it's hard to come to accept the person that you are and like that person. You did that with a sense of humor.
"Well, the bank didn't believe a word of my plan,
They didn't identify me as a rich middle aged man."
I couldn't help but smile when I read that. Great job.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Devin Gates

6 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much for the compliments here! The line that you pointed out is my personal favori.. read more
I was born as a boy, and I identify as such,
I was born into poverty, and I never had much.
I was born with white skin, and I do not feel guilt.
I was born with an open mind, and watched this irrational world being built.


WOW! Loved this part,
You are very talented. love the rhyme scheme and flow of this. you write with emotion. This is rare. Very good write.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Devin Gates

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. This is my favorite personal work so far.

Check back in fo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

475 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 27, 2017
Last Updated on December 27, 2017

Author

Devin Gates
Devin Gates

MA



About
Travelling sales person who likes to creatively tell stories. Sometimes, those stories are written down. There are also some poems involved. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..