Alison's Golden Mind

Alison's Golden Mind

A Story by Ellen Randall
"

Young love and tragedy. A twist on 'Rapunzel' written for an English Extension Essay focusing on Feminist and Queer Theory.

"

Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your golden hair, lips bright pink and your skin so fair. Sing to your mother for we will have boisterous fun, for you are the most beautiful child under the sun.


With widened brown glossy eyes Alison looked up to the murky afternoon sky. She loved the way the thick grey clouds swirled; despite how much she missed the once ever so blue sky. She sighed as she rested her head on the windowsill, staring for longingly at the glowing city in the distance. A breeze swept through the wind, kissing her cheek bones and running through her long blonde hair.

 

She could hear the rustling of dried plants in the garden, neglected by her mother, below her window. Then she could hear something faint, something soft in the distance. She perked her head up. She could hear a voice; she could hear a song so sweet it sounded like that of an angel. Alison was enchanted. The voice was foreign to her, but exciting. No one had wandered to isolated old suburbs in years, only Alison and her mother remained whilst their neighbours moved onto the expanding city.

 

A stranger with candy coloured hair and eyes a piercing blue, Alison saw her walking along the street with a camera in her hand. The stranger walked along the street singing as she took photos of each house, each sign and lamp post and Alison just watched her in awe. She had never been captivated by someone this way before. Suddenly, the girl turned on her heels towards Alison’s House and with the quick trigger of her finger took a photo. Alison ducked below her window; she suddenly felt anxiety settle over her body with her hands shaking and her heart racing.

 

Silence fell. Alison could feel her cheeks burn red with embarrassment while she sat frozen. The silence was broken of crunching or twigs and leaves drawing closer to the window. There was another moment of silence. Alison’s body began to rise, her movement was beyond her control, and as she rose above the window she saw the candy coloured stranger lift her head above the window as she did. The two of them stared at each other for a moment.

 

The stranger smiled and whispered, “Hello,” as though she was speaking to a frightened doe. Alison bit her lip. The stranger was even more enchanting close up. Alison could not speak. The stranger thought for a moment, “Hello, fair lady,” she sang sweetly, “I do not mean to intrude, for I may appear to be rude. For I am young Gabriel, and what is your name fair lady pray tell?”

 

Alison giggled before whispering her name. Gabriel smiled and jokingly sung, “Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your golden hair, lips bright pink and your skin so fair.” Alison looked down to her hands and mouthed something to herself. Gabriel spoke, “Did I say something wrong?”

“No,” Alison said quietly, “My mother sings me the same song.”

“You and your mother still live here? I thought everyone moved to the city in ’78?” Asked Gabriel.

“Not us,” Alison said fidgeting with her hands nervously, “Which reminds me. It was very lovely speaking with you but I think its best you leave now before she gets home. She doesn’t like outsiders and I-“ Gabriel interrupted her.

“Have you ever been to the city?” She asked.

Alison’s eyes widened, “No. But I would-“

“Love to?”

“Yes.”

“Sneak out with me.”

“But my mother…”

“She doesn’t have to know.”

 

 

Night turned to day, and a haze of lights and highs rested in Alison’s mind. She smiled as she recalled her first night in the city as she walked with her shoes in one hand and the other in Gabriel’s. As the approach the house Gabriel stopped at the gate as Alison skipped to the front door with her long flowing hair dancing behind her.

 

Alison had suggested a wicked plan and Gabriel agreed. With packed bags the pair would run away together without a second glance back. Alison walked quietly into the house and tip toed along the cold stone floor to her room. She packed only a few things into a small bag and just as she went to leave the room she looked into her mirror.

 

Past the thin layer of dust, she could see herself and the shining sliver scissors resting next to it. Without a second thought she grabbed the cold metal handle with one hand and bunched her hair in the other and with one swift chop Alison felt liberated of her heavy locks. For once she felt free. She smiled as she dropped the hair from her hand and watched it delicately fall to the floor.

 

In a dreamy dazed look on her face and smile from ear to ear she turned around only to feel the colour from her face disappear. There stood her mother looming over her small body with her hands on hips and her eyes as narrow as a blade. But, Alison was no longer hers to keep.

 

Gabriel suddenly heard Alison’s screams from within the house and ran to her window. She looked into to see her yelling and screaming and stabbing the scissors… in thin air. Fear wrapped its self around Gabriel’s heart as she took a step back and twig made a fatal crack. Alison turned to see her ghostly face. Gabriel started to run, and Alison screamed after her, “Please don’t leave me.”

 

Alison dashed out the front door, running towards Gabriel to reclaim her love only to scare her further away. She ran through the garden and unto the road, where in her desperation lost her footing. With one fatal slip, she fell back . As she fell, in those last few seconds, she looked once more at the sky. She could see the swirling clouds above and realized she would never see the blue sky again.

 

Rapunzel, Rapunzel cut off her golden hair, lips pale blue and your skin so fair. Sing to your lover on your one night of fun, for you were once the most beautiful child under the sun.

© 2014 Ellen Randall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on July 19, 2014
Last Updated on July 19, 2014
Tags: sci fi, science fiction, romance, future, lesbian, teen, fairy tale

Author

Ellen Randall
Ellen Randall

Kerala, Kerala, India



About
an amateur poet☺☺☺☺☺☺ more..

Writing