Mountains to Mammoths - My Family's Discoveries

Mountains to Mammoths - My Family's Discoveries

A Story by Diane Lockard
"

Ups and downs of our family's camping trip, winding our way through Spanish Fork Canyon, and onward to the surprises of the Manti-LaSal National Forest area...

"

 

The first time I visited Utah, I fell in love with the mountains. A resident for a long time, the outdoors and the many activities available for all ages were enjoyable.

 

We started up Spanish Fork canyon, and spinning wind generators come into view. The drive takes us through tree-covered mountains, spotted with houses. We turn off to Fairview and Highway 89 as we continued on our way. Wooden telephone poles line the historic road that passes by a ramshackle building with a rusted metal roof, red brick ruins…

 

The old buildings were fascinating and think about their history. In 1983, a massive landslide dammed up the Spanish Fork River that backed up and flooded Thistle, located at an elevation of 5043 feet. The landslide resulted in the first presidentially declared disaster area in Utah.

 

A derelict barn is half submerged in water. The remains of a house were barely visible as you travel down the highway. Canyon levels out and farms appeared on both sides. One field has round hay bales, and the next, square bales.

 

Our family’s camping excursion in July from Salt Lake City turned into wonderful surprises. Up, up we go to 6446 ft.… Wasatch Mountains covered with pinions as far as you can see.

 

We stopped in Fairview, UT for snacks and airing up our rafts. It was hot; I watched my daughter air up the inflatable canoe and raft, preparing for our trip to the campground.

 

As we pull away, ten-year Chloe said, “Look, a deer.” Next to the road, a solitary deer, eating, not giving us any notice.

 

Our first discovery was the Scenic by-way, UT 31E (Manti - Lasal Nat’l Forest) joining at Fairview and continuing 18 miles up to 9655 feet at the summit. Snow gathered on the ridges in between blades of green grass in July. Vistas look out over azure-blue lakes and mountains with trees marching up their sides.

 

Just before turning off to travel to Potter’s Pond, there was another amazing discovery - a Mammoth excavation of 8-8-88 at 9000 feet. It was the last mammoth to be discovered at that altitude and was usually, found on the Plains.

 

There wasn't a Visitor’s Center, we stood on a scenic outlook by an information sign. Looking at the expanse of the grassy excavation site imagining a mammoth walking and swaying, side to side.

 

Did you know they were related to elephants? Some were furrier, known as woolly mammoths and the Columbian breed, such as the one discovered, has hide like an elephant. Studies show that Utah’s find could be a combination of both species.

 

Our last surprise was our destination, Potter’s Pond, located off Huntington Canyon Scenic Byway, UT 31E - 18 miles from Fairview, UT. Our journey takes us on a dirt road to our campground.

 

The children were gazing out the windows. Chloe spotted several chipmunks, running through the trees. “If we could teach them to sing, we could make a million dollars.”

 

Gorgeous scenery, lakes and more campgrounds were scattered along the way. and At the end of eleven miles, we arrived at our camping spot hidden in the mountains.

 

Our camp overlooked a pond or small lake that is surrounded by trees with a path down the hill to the water’s edge. We put the canoe and raft in the water and bait our lines. You could see the fish swimming in the clear water. a muskrat poked his head out…

 

Wonderful discoveries!

 

Places to visit:

Casts of the mammoth skeleton, “Glam” dinosaur, and the “Jurassic Park” raptor are on display at the University of Utah - Museum of Natural History in Salt Lake City, the College of Eastern Utah's Prehistoric Museum in Price and the Fairview Museum of Natural History. , and in museums around the world.


© 2018 Diane Lockard


Author's Note

Diane Lockard
Part of this travelogue was posted on American Byways.org....

Any suggestions?






Part of the travelogue was posted on America's Byways.org.

Any suggestions?



My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

If you've read my story you'll know I'm fascinated by the American landscape. I've imagined the Dakotas and now I'll do some research on Utah. What was the Native American culture there, or still is ? Thanks for the motivation. One thing - a strange turn of phrase 'to air up' instead of 'to inflate'. Is that the local vernacular?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

Thank you, for your comments, I grew up in Montana, next to the Dakotas, and is part of my history... read more



Reviews

If you've read my story you'll know I'm fascinated by the American landscape. I've imagined the Dakotas and now I'll do some research on Utah. What was the Native American culture there, or still is ? Thanks for the motivation. One thing - a strange turn of phrase 'to air up' instead of 'to inflate'. Is that the local vernacular?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

Thank you, for your comments, I grew up in Montana, next to the Dakotas, and is part of my history... read more
Excellent. It makes me want to go. The lake and the camping reminds me of some time I spent in Sequoia National park.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Utah is so diverse with the mountains to the lakes, and desert....
I have never been to Utah...but you make me want to visit...even though Im not a camper haa...nicely done dianne...Rose

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

My husband had the same problem, SLC is at 4500 feet altitude, but we have high mountains...
SyberRose

10 Years Ago

Its funny how we women turn out to be the troopers haa....
Diane Lockard

10 Years Ago

In My Mother's Hands, I said, "The women in our family are strong."

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

531 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2013
Last Updated on January 21, 2018
Tags: Travel, Mammoths, History, Family, Museums

Author

Diane Lockard
Diane Lockard

Moroni, UT



About
Thank you, friends, for exchanging stories and poems, plus reviewing my writing. Memories of growing up in Montana - My Mother's Hands, On the Road Again about family reunions, Discover Life's Treasur.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blinky light Blinky light

A Poem by Angi