Cooking With Gas

Cooking With Gas

A Story by Dirkgently1066
"

What happens when you burn out?

"

'Wow, look at me, Oven! Look at all my shiny rings!'


'That's very impressive, Hob.'


'Look how high this big one goes. WHOOSH! Ha, ha, ha!'


'That's certainly very impressive, but don't you think you sho...'


'Hey watch this, Oven. I can make it flame really big then really small. Whoosh, whee, whoosh, whee...'


'Okay, I get it. I'm sure that's great fun but be careful not to burn yourself out.'


'Burn myself out? Ha, ha. Don't be silly, Oven. Just because you're electric and don't have cool gas fire like me.'


'I can assure you that I am not jealous young Hob. Nonetheless, I would caution you against burning hot all the time. You only need to use your gas when something needs to be cooked.'


'What? No way, man! I can fire up all day long! When that pan needs heating, I'm going to be ready for it. I don't need ten minutes to warm up like you old man.'


'Okay Hob, I've made me point.'


'Yeah, see you later old man, why not have a little rest until mum needs to cook some potato waffles or something. I'm going to fire up my hobs ready for dinner. Vroom! Vrooooom! Vroo...*cough* *splutter*...'


'Hob, are you okay?'


'*cough* Yes...I'm fine...I'm just feeling a little...*cough*... *splutter*...*whoo*...*pfft*.


'Hob? Hob!'



*** Three weeks later***



'Hob, is that you?'


'Oh, hi Oven. Yes, I'm back.'


'How are you feeling?'


'Um, okay I guess. They had to replace some of my parts. Apparently I burned them out.'


'I see.'


'I guess you're going to say I told you so?'


'Well I did, but that isn't the point. The main thing is that you're all better.'


'You must think I was pretty stupid, thinking I could burn hot like that all the time?'


'Stupid? No. Reckless? Perhaps. But then we were all young once.'


'Wait, do you mean..?'


'Yes Hob, I was once a young oven, cooking on gas. I thought I was impervious too. I kept my temperature hot all day long, just in case I was needed.'


'What happened?'


'I burned all the dinner! And then finally I burned myself out. That's when they replaced my parts with electric. More efficient, apparently.'


'I never knew.'


'Life is a lesson young Hob. We learn as we go.'


'Yeah, that makes sense.'


'So your gas burning days are behind you?'


'Yeah. I'll save it for when it's really needed.'


'Good for you.'


'Er, say Oven?'


'Yes Hob'


'I still really want to burn, even though I know it's bad for me.'


'Would you like to know a secret, Hob?'


'A secret? Sure.'


'Sometimes I just want to burn too.'


'You do?'


'Certainly.'


'How do you stop yourself?'


'I just try to remember why I'm here and what I am needed for. If I ran out of fuel when I was needed I wouldn't be a very good oven, would I?'


'I guess not. Say, Oven?'


'Yes Hob.'


'I'm kinda tired. Think I might switch off for a while if that's okay.'


'That sounds like a good idea Hob.'


'Say, Oven?'


'Yes Hob.'


'Thanks.'


'You are very welcome. Good night.'

© 2015 Dirkgently1066


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on April 26, 2015
Last Updated on April 26, 2015
Tags: Mental Health, Mental Illness, Anxiety, Stress

Author

Dirkgently1066
Dirkgently1066

Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom



About
Full time father, aspiring writer. Blogs, short stories and flash fiction, inspired by my experiences of mental illness. I also write children's stories and lots of other nonsense besides. Bring.. more..

Writing