Chapter 2--Intel

Chapter 2--Intel

A Chapter by Breezy

Jade scratched at the arm the IV had been stuck in earlier that week. It was fully healed, but the image of the needle in her arm still made her uneasy. Having seen her little brother, Kenny bruised when he was a baby because the doctor and nurses kept sticking him with needles to save his life. Jade shook the image out of her head and looked at the numbers on the houses. She needed to find house number 183. Cassie said to look for the house that had a garden out front with a Seahorse fountain in the side yard. Jade did a double-take when she saw the house and garden in the front yard. There was a large oak opposite to the seahorse fountain. At the edge of the front fence, there were rows of peach roses, pink carnations, and Forget-Me-Nots. Towards the middle of the garden, there were rows of bright red asters, daffodils, and daisies. More towards the house, the porch and a few feet out were purple hyacinths, Petunias, and Primroses. Between rows of flowers and other décor in the garden, there was something out of place that Jade hadn’t expected�"a Frozen scooter, what was probably a Barbie buried half-way in a planter, and other yard toys scattered about the yard. Jade shook herself off before continuing down the walkway. She knocked on the door just below the Welcome sign. A few moments later, Claire opened the door with a two-year old in tow.

            “Hello.” She brushed some hair out of her face. “Can I help you?”

            “Claire Lewis?” Jade asked.

            “I am.” Claire bent to pick up the toddler. “Are you here about my ad in the paper? I would have expected you to call first.”

            “No, ma’am.” Jade fiddled with the hem of her coat. “Did you know an Aubrey Fairchild?”

            “How did you know him?” Claire was defensive. “Wait a minute. You’re the kid from the fire. How did you find this address?”

            “The internet.” Jade glanced at the squirming two-year-old. “I have a…gift you could say. I can communicate with those that are no longer with us.”

            “Audrey.” Claire sat the child down. “Go play in your room. Do you really expect me to believe you can speak to ghosts?”

            “That’s up to you.” Jade stuck her hands in her pockets to warm them up. “Aubrey’s spirit came to me for help. He wants me to pass a message on to you.”

            “And how much do you want for ‘passing on this message?” Claire squinted.

            “Nothing.” Jade shook her head. “If I have the power to help spirits pass on, then that’s what I’ll do. I don’t want anything.”

            Claire sighed and stepped to the side. “Come in, sweetie. You’ll freeze to death out there. Tea or coffee?”

            “Coffee is good.” Jade followed Claire into the house.

            The house was warm and Jade could tell it was lived in. The floral couches looked like they could use a re-upholstering and there were toys scattered between the living room and another part of the house. Jade sat on the couch and looked around the room. There were pictures on the wall above an ornate silver urn. Some were of Claire and some older people, Claire and Aubrey, Claire and Audrey, and set of ultrasounds. The one directly above the urn was of a smiling Aubrey on a motorcycle. His hair was longer in the photo. Jade looked up when she sensed Aubrey’s presence. He was staring at the urn and photos.

            “Is that me?” he reached out to touch the urn, but his hand phased through it. “It’s hard to believe that a single human can fit in such a small container. Is the girl mine?”

            “That’s Aubrey.” Claire returned to the room with two cups of coffee and nodded at the urn. “He died on that bike. Here you go. Cream and sugar?”

            “No thanks.” Jade picked up the coffee and sipped it. “Is Audrey his? He’s here and wants to know.”

            “I found out about two weeks after…” Claire started. “How can I be sure you’re telling the truth?”

            “September 10’th.” Aubrey appeared behind Claire. “2005. I fell out of a tree saving some kid’s cat and broke my leg. She was the responder on scene. She asked me why I was up in that tree and I said ‘Looking for a beautiful woman like you to give this maple leaf to.’ I handed her a leaf from the tree I fell out of.”

            Jade repeated what Aubrey said and sat her now empty cup on the coffee table. Claire sniffed and sipped her coffee. She sat the cup down and wrung her hands together.

            “How can you…” She started. “He’s here? Where?”

            “Behind you.” Jade looked up at Aubrey. “He…wants to apologize for storming out the house like he did. He was stressed from getting taken off a story. He wants to know if you’re still angry with him?”

            “Angry with him?” Claire sat back. “I was never angry with him. I was upset, but never angry. I was about to call him when…when I got the call that he’d been in an accident. I said such mean things to him. I was sure he hated me.”

            “I could never hate you, Claire.” Aubrey put a hand on Claire’s shoulder.

            “Is that?” Claire jumped.

            “It is.” Jade pulled some tissue from her pocket and handed it to Claire. “He says he could never hate you. Whenever he feels upset, he looks at a maple tree and he can see you laughing as you took that leaf.”

            “Oh, Aubrey.” Claire sobbed. “So why is he still here? Shouldn’t he pass on or something?”

            “He wanted to make sure you were safe.” Jade looked at Aubrey. “From what, I don’t know.”

            “The story I got pulled from had me investigating some pretty nasty people.” Aubrey said. “Boss never said why she was pulling me from the story.”

            “Of course I…we’re safe.” Claire said. “The security system Aubrey had installed is always on�"the company recently came out and updated it. We’ve got two dogs�"they’re out back right now.”

            “Ask her if she’s seen any shady characters around lately? Or when I died?” Aubrey asked.

            “Aubrey wants to know if you’ve seen any shady characters around lately or around when he passed.”

            “None.” Claire shook her head. “A Detective Carrol stopped by asking about the story Aubrey’d been working. I gave her a copy of his notes.”

            “Does the detective still come around?” Aubrey asked.

            “He does.” Claire said after Jade asked the question. “Stops by to check in. He says he caught whoever was involved in what Aubrey was investigating.”

            “That’s a relief.” Aubrey breathed a sigh of relief, making the room grow warm. “I can see it. The light. MeMaw is there. I’d like to see my daughter before I go.”

            “He sees the other side.” Jade breathed. “He’d like to see Audrey before he crosses over. Is that alright?”

            “Yes.” Claire sniffed.

            Claire called Audrey downstairs. The little brown haired blue eyed toddler came tramping down the stairs dressed like Elsa. Audrey went straight to Claire who picked her up and sat her in her lap. She giggled squirmed as Claire tickled her. Aubrey moved to stand in front of them. He looked like he could cry. He ran a hand through the girl’s hair and kissed her forehead. Audrey froze for a moment before trying to tickle her mother.

            “She’s beautiful.” Aubrey sobbed. “Jade, tell Claire I love her and to make sure Audrey keeps her grades up.  Maybe put her in some kind of self-defense class since I won’t be there to teach her. And get her to give you a copy of my notes. They might help you with your investigation.”

            “I will.” Jade nodded.

            Aubrey smiled and walked towards the front door. When he disappeared, Jade couldn’t sense him. Jade looked back over to Claire and Audrey. Claire was staring at her.

            “Is he?” Claire started.

            “He’s gone.” Jade nodded. “He wants you to know that he loves you and Audrey. He wants you to put her in some kind of self-defense class since he won’t be here to protect her. He asked if you’d give me a copy of his notes. Said they might help me with my own investigation.”

            “I’ll just give you the notes.” Claire wrapped her arms around Audrey. “There are some recordings too. They’re transcribed, but maybe they’ll help. Audrey, go play in your room for a bit. I’ll start you some lunch.”

            After Audrey ran back upstairs, Claire stood and went to the desk that was sitting against the wall just before the kitchen. She reached in a drawer and pulled out a thick envelope. She looked at Jade apologetically as she handed it to her.

            “Aubrey was very thorough. Wrote down everything. That’s what made him such a great investigative reporter. What you’re investigating, does it have anything to do with the fire? You really should leave that to the professionals.”

            “You’re right,” Jade accepted the envelope. “But it’s kind of a ghost thing. I don’t think it was simply an electrical fire like the fire marshal told me.”

            “A ghost started the fire? I don’t understand.”

            “Not exactly a ghost. When you were trying to revive me, did you notice anything strange?”

            “There was bruising around your neck,” Claire picked up the coffee cups, “But when you came back, it disappeared. I didn’t mark it down in my report. It looked like you’d been strangled. It was strange.”

            “No argument there.” Jade stood. “I have to go now. I’m meeting some of my classmates for a class project. Thank you for your hospitality, and the notes. If you want to know of a good place for a child to learn Karate or something, try Sonny’s Dojo. The teachers there are good and teach a range of disciplines. I’m studying Karate there.”

            “What belt are you?” Claire walked Jade to the door.

            “Black belt.” Jade stepped out onto the porch. “Have a good day.”

            “You too.” Claire nodded. “And thank you for stopping by. If you ever need any help in your…uh…investigations, give me a call. Here’s my number.”

            Claire wrote something down on a slip of paper and handed it to Jade. Jade thanked her and walked off. When she reached the sidewalk, she pulled out her phone to text James.

            “Hey James,” she started. “I’m leaving Claire’s. Meet me and Cassie at Java Hut. I might have a lead on the Fax.”

            “Sure thing.” James responded. “Got your epi-pen?”

            “I always have my epi-pen.” Jade laughed. “Not that I’ll need it. You come up with anything?”

            “Yeah. Be careful on your way.”

            “I make no promises.”

            Jade slipped her phone back in her pocket and started back down the street.

**

            Java Hut was packed when Jade entered the café. Tables were filled with university students chattering about their classes. But it didn’t feel crowded. The café gave off a welcoming air that drew people to it. As far as Jade knew, there’d never been any outrageous fights or arguments over too much or too little foam in someone’s latte. Jade figured the calmness in the shop had something to do with the rustic, calming colors and comfy couches people could sit and talk in. Or that there was almost always a group of cops seated in a corner on their break. Jade looked around for Cassie and James. She spotted them in a booth in the far left corner of the shop. Cassie was in her running clothes and waiving excitedly at Jade. James turned and smiled. Jade waived back and stepped up to the counter.

            “Hello Miss Jade.” The barista Christian smiled. “Don’t tell me…coffee. Black.”

            “Yes,” Jade reached for her wallet in her pocket. “Good guess. When’d you start working here?”

            “About a week ago.” She reached for an empty paper cup. “And it wasn’t a guess. Your friends ordered for you a few minutes before you got here. How’s school?”

            “Oh, you know,” Jade waived her hand, “Mr. Allen gives us those timed quizzes, trying to eat the beef stew before it eats me. Pizza day’s always good, though.”

            Christian laughed as she filled the cup with coffee. “If you think Mr. Allen’s timed quizzes suck, wait until you take Chem with Dr. Forsyth in two years. He just gave us this test on chemical reactions and almost no one in class made higher than a C.”

            “Mr. Allen’s quizzes aren’t all that hard for me, but since everyone has to get a perfect score on them…”

            “It’s all about retention.” Christian put a lid on the cup and handed it to Jade. “Or so he says. And you can put your wallet back. James went ahead and paid for it. You know he likes you, don’t you?”

            “I don’t think we’d be besties if we didn’t like each other.” Jade sipped her coffee.

            “You know what I mean.” Christian leaned forward. “He likes you, likes you. You should ask him out before some other cute and brainy girl does.”

            “James can date whoever he likes.” Jade sipped her coffee and started away from the counter. “Bye now.”

            Jade winked at Christian and slipped into the booth next to James. She planted a kiss on his cheek before leaning across the table to kiss Cassie. Cassie looked up and snorted in an attempt to suppress a laugh. Jade turned to see what she was laughing at in time to see a couple staring at them with their jaws practically on the table in horror.

            “Wow.” Jade turned back. “You’d think they’d never saw girls kissing before. So, Cassie…how’d your date with Emily go?”

            “Do you want all the details or just a summary?” Cassie wiggled her eyebrows.

            “Summary please.” Jade sat a file on the table. “I don’t think James would like all the juicy details like I would.”

            Jade nudged James with her elbow.

            “Summary.” James huffed.

            “Well,” Cassie leaned forward. “We went roller blading, got ice-cream, and…made out in her brother’s car. She’s almost as good a kisser as you, Jade.”

            “I’m impressed.” Jade laughed. “Who would have thought anyone could kiss as good as me. Y’all going out again?”

            “Yeah.” Cassie mused. “Next Friday after my track meet. I was thinking dinner and a movie.”

            “A classic.” James commented. “Anyways, what’s this new lead you may have found?”

            “C’mon, James.” Cassie groaned. “I was just getting started.”

            “Can we just figure out what is going on with this demon thing?” James coughed.

            “You alright, James?” Jade turned to look at James. “Your ears are red.”

            “I’m fine.” James coughed. “I don’t know about y’all, but I want to catch this thing before it can do anymore damage.”

            “I haven’t read anything in the file yet.” Jade flipped open the envelope to reveal a thick pile of paper clipped pages and photos. “I thought we might divide and conquer. James, you said you got some information on the case?”

            “Yeah.” James downed the last of his coffee. “I spoke with some of the religious leaders around town. Most of them gave me a crash course in demons, but nothing useful. But when I spoke to Father Duncan at my church, he pointed me to the Blake City University. There’s a professor there who’s a powerful voice in occult studies.”

            James sat his empty cup on the table and cut a piece of pie with his fork. “Apparently, she’s on loan to the university from the University of Wyoming for a semester.”

            “And what is this professor’s name?” Cassie leaned forward.

            “Dr. Naomi Novak.” James shoved a forkful of sweet-potato pie in his mouth.

            Jade choked on the coffee she was taking a sip of. She’d heard that name before when she walked past her parents’ room while they were arguing. Momma had said something about getting Naomi to come down for some reason Jade couldn’t hear. But her father insisted that it wasn’t necessary and something about sending Jade to see a psychiatrist. Jade just kept walking after hearing that last part of the conversation.

            “Jade,” Cassie and James exclaimed. “Are you alright?”

            “I’m fine.” Jade coughed. “Went down the wrong pipe. You said the professor is Naomi Novak?”

            “Yeah.” James started wiping the coffee that shot out of Jade’s nose off the table. “Why?”

            “I’ve heard that name before.” Jade took a sip of water from the bottle Cassie offered her. “Novak is my mom’s maiden name. I remember overhearing my mom arguing getting her sister Naomi to come down. That’s all I really know. Did you try to contact her?”

            “I called.” James said. “I tried to set up an appointment, but the only open time Dr. Novak had was for next week and my parents are going out of town and I have to watch Kylee.”

            “Do you still have her number?” Jade sipped her coffee. “I’m not doing anything next week after classes. I can take the bus to campus.”

            “Yeah.” James pulled a slip of paper out of his pocket and handed it to Jade. “Oh, and Have you talked to the woman you helped?”

            “No.” Jade shook her head. “I haven’t. I don’t actually know her name. I asked my doctor how she and her boys were and he said they were doing well.”

            “She stopped us in the hall.” Cassie interjected. “When we were leaving your room before you were released. She wanted to thank you, but your mom wasn’t letting anyone other than us and your father in your room. She looked like she wanted to talk to you about something. I wanted to press her for information, but I figured she might open up to you better since…you know…you practically died for her children.”

            “Got a name?” Jade asked.

            “When do I not?” Cassie looked offended. “I can’t reveal how I got my information, however.”

            “You hacked the police servers didn’t you?” James sighed.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Cassie lied, producing an index card with some information scribbled on it.”

            “I’ll be sure to contact her and Dr. Novak.” Jade said, dividing the papers in the folder. “In the meantime, let’s look at these files. There might be something in here that can help us. Aubrey was an investigative reporter apparently and was looking into some local disappearances and other crimes he thought were related. I wager these notes have some ghostly stuff going on.”

            Jade handed Cassie and James a stack of papers before diving into her own stack. The pages of handwritten note were all dated, starting from early 2006 to 2011, just before Aubrey died. Jade read through the first six sets of notes before one in particular caught her eye.

            June 16, 2008

            Earlier this year, three Atlanta girls between the ages of 13 and 18 disappeared without a trace on their way home from school. The only indication of their kidnappings were their discarded books and traffic cameras showing the girls being attacked and dragged into a black, late model SUV. As of now, their bodies have yet to be recovered. The only indication of their deaths were photos sent from the kidnappers of the girls’ bodies. Each of the girls were taken and killed within three weeks of each other. From what I’ve been able to gather, the kidnappers paid no mind to the girls’ race, ethnicity, or religion. I have ruled out hate crimes and money as motive. I’ve received copies of the photos sent by the kidnappers. There was little blood on the bodies and evidence that they were washed before the photos were taken. The posing of the bodies and the location and extent of the injuries they sustained indicate that they were bound for a period of time and then stabbed in the chest between the left third and fourth ribs. I suspect these murders were ritualistic. The runes carved into their skin lead me to believe that the kidnappers may be trying to use some type of spell. I will need to gather further information to complete my assessment of these crimes.

 

            Jade sniffed and touched her face. She was crying. She looked up in time to see Cassie biting her lip in an attempt to calm herself. It was evident that whatever she was reading, disturbed her to the core. James leaned back in the booth and shut his eyes. Without saying anything, he reached in his coat pocket and handed Jade a handkerchief to wipe the tears from her eyes. As she dabbed at her eyes, careful not to smear her makeup any further, Jade wondered why she cried when reading the notes. She’d read plenty of horror stories in her occult books and never even blinked. Jade excused herself from the table and ran to the bathroom. She turned the faucet on and splashed cool water on her face.

            “Jade.” Cassie entered the restroom and locked the door. “Are you alright? Just what did you read? You almost never cry like that. The only other time I can remember you crying was when you were helping Maddison Harper’s ghost two years ago.”

            “I’m fine.” Jade took a shaky breath.

            “You and I both know that when a girl says she’s fine,” Cassie hopped up on the sink counter next to where Jade was standing. “She’s not fine. We’re weird like that.”

            “Do you remember a few years ago when those girls in Atlanta went missing?” Jade used a wet paper towel to clean off her smeared makeup.

            “Yeah.” Cassie nodded. “Momma wouldn’t let me leave the house by myself for a whole year. I think Mrs. Hawethorn did the same to you, too.”

            “Yeah.” Jade sighed. “The notes I was reading were talking about that incident. There is a lot of information in those notes that the media never released. Somehow, Aubrey got his hands on that information. There were even photos. If I didn’t have such a strong stomach, I would have thrown up when I looked at the photos.”

            “Damn.” Cassie sighed. “You sure picked a tough one. I got a bunch of information of cattle mutilation, complete with pictures.”

            “Cattle mutilation?” Jade stopped reaching in her purse for her makeup bag.

            “Yeah.” Cassie waived a hand. “A bunch of cows and stuff were all gutted between three of the surrounding counties and branded with two intersecting triangles�"one pointing up and one pointing down. It’s actually really disturbing when you consider the religious implications of it.”

            “Isn’t the two triangles the Star of David or something?” Jade opened her eyeliner.

            “That’s one name for it.” Cassie took the eyeliner as Jade was about to fix her eyes. “But based on the fact that it was used to brand sacrificed cows tells me it’s being used as a hex. But more disturbing than that is what was carved under the brand.”

            Cassie began to draw something on a paper towel with the eyeliner pen. It looked like an upside down triangle where the sides that made the point continued passed the intersection into j’s. There was the roman numeral for five beneath. And the triangle had two lines that went from the top two corners that intersected and extended just outside the triangle’s sides. Jade didn’t recognize it.

            “What is that?” Jade took her eyeliner back and sharpened it.

            “Lucifer’s Sigil.” Cassie took a lighter out of her pocket and burned the paper towel. “Aubrey suspected it was some kind of Satanic cult or something, but I don’t quite think so. Satanism is more of self-worship than worshiping Satan. It’s unlikely that whoever killed that cattle and those girls were Satanists.”

            “I know what Satanism is,” Jade leaned forward, putting on the eyeliner. “I agree with you on that. Shouldn’t we let James in on this conversation.”

            “I can here you!” James said through the door. “Who could be responsible for these things happening, in your opinion?”

            “Well,” Cassie hopped off the counter. “I know it’s no Witch I know. That’s for sure. Could be some religious sect that wants to literally raise Hell.”

            “But the people who kidnapped those girls and killed those cattle were arrested.” Jade put her eyeliner back in her bag.

            “They could have just been scapegoats.” James said through the door. “I found something interesting if y’all want to hear about it.”

            Cassie and Jade left the restroom and followed James back to their table. When they arrived, there was a newcomer�"an older woman in a charcoal skirt suit with long brown hair, frameless glasses, and a briefcase. She was reading the files.

            “Pardon me, ma’am.” Cassie was the first to speak.

            “Oh, hello.” The woman looked up from the page she was reading�"it was the one that Jade recently finished. “I’m sorry. Is this your stuff? It’s quite interesting, if you don’t mind my saying.”

            “You left the files unattended?” Jade hissed at James.

            “I didn’t think anyone would sit at the table.” James defended himself.

            “Well,” Cassie carried on the conversation with the woman. “My friends and I are working on an assignment for class and that’s our…errr…research.”

            “I wouldn’t think high schoolers would be researching something like cattle mutilation and disappearances. Excuse my rudeness.” The woman stood up and extended her hand. “My name is Dr. Naomi Novak. I’m a temporary professor for Blake City University.”

            “Dr. Novak?” Cassie shook the woman’s hand. “My friends and I were just talking about you.”

            “Good things I hope.” She smiled and shook Cassie’s hand.

            “Jade was going to call and set up an appointment with you actually.” Cassie laughed nervously.

            “James mentioned that I might get a call from his friend Jade soon.” Naomi looked square at James. “About some sort of case involving ghosts?”

            “Well,” James scratched at the back of his head. “I got your name from the head of my church and…”

            “Dr. Novak,” Jade said when James trailed off. “Do you by chance know a Brooklyn Hawethorn? I don’t mean to be rude, but you look familiar.”

            “You’re certainly perceptive.” Naomi smiled and pulled Jade into a hug. “Brook is my big sister. You look like her, you know.”

            “So that makes you Jade’s aunt!” Cassie exclaimed. “Wow. You look like you could be Jade’s sister.”

            “I’m flattered.” Naomi laughed. “I’m not surprised that you don’t quite know who I am, Jade. Could I, perhaps, speak with Jade in private for a moment?”

            James was about to speak when Cassie looped her arm in his and dragged him off to talk to who she claimed was a very attractive girl she figured he’d be interested in. James looked back worriedly. Jade mouthed that she’d be fine and waived as they reached the other side of the café. She turned back to the woman and gave her a once over out of habit. Naomi was tall with a pair of intense blue eyes and a scar on her right, shaped eyebrow. Cassie was right, Naomi did bear a striking resemblance to Jade. Jade sat down across from Naomi and started re-arranging the papers on the table.

            “I suppose you’re wondering why I’m here?” Naomi leaned back.

            “I don’t reckon you came here for the coffee.” Jade tilted her head to the side.

            “The coffee here is good.” Naomi mused. “But you’re right. Brook called me. She’s worried. She said something about you being able to see spirits?”

            “Yes.”

            “You’ve been able to hear them since you were, what…seven?”

            “Roughly.” Jade closed the file folder. “I only recently started seeing them without having to focus on their presences.”

            “Interesting.” Naomi leaned forward. “Have you noticed anything else? Other than being able to see spirits clearly. Strange dreams? Premonitions?”

            “Just the occasional nightmare.” Jade narrowed her eyes. “I’ve been having them for a long time. Why would I have premonitions? I’m not exactly psychic.”

            “I suppose not.” Naomi leaned back and closed her eyes. “There are two spirits in this café. One over near your friends and one near the door.”

            Jade looked around and saw the two ghosts Naomi pointed out. “How? Can you see ghosts too? And you never answered my question.”

            “Our family is…special.” Naomi looked Jade in the eyes. “The women in particular have the unique ability to communicate with the dead or predict the future.”

            “Then you can sense ghosts.” Jade leaned back. “Why didn’t my mom ever tell me about this? And can she see ghosts, too?”

            “She couldn’t. Tradition has us learning to utilize our abilities on our own. She couldn’t exactly teach you how to control your abilities. Brook doesn’t have any psychic ability anyways. Not for a long time.”

            “So why are you here exactly?”

            “Like I said.” Naomi took a sip of coffee. “Your mom is worried about you. You’ve been getting into a lot of trouble lately�"and I’m not just talking about getting attacked by an emissary of Adramelech either. Brought home by the police for trespassing. Destruction of public property.”

            “I’ve never been charged, ya’ know.” Jade leaned back and crossed her arms.

            “So I’m told. Your silver-tongued boyfriend over there is quite the sweet talker from what I hear.” Naomi rested her chin on one manicured hand.

            “James is an awesome speaker and one of my dearest friends. Oh, and he’s not my boyfriend. It’d be too weird to date someone I grew up with.”

            “My mistake.” Naomi sipped her coffee. “In any event, I should tell you to find a less dangerous way to help your ghosts. It’s not just you you’re putting in danger. It’s your friends. How…”

            “I never asked them to help me in the beginning.” Jade said defensively. “I’d never put my friends in danger like that. I tried talking them out of helping me, but I’m not the smooth-talker James is, or a charming personality like Cassie. But I’m grateful for their friendship. I doubt I could have done what I’ve done without their help.”

            “Whoa there. Let me finish. However, I wasn’t going to suggest you stop helping lost spirits. I was going to tell you to be more aware of what you’re getting yourself into.” Naomi sighed. “Like this case you’re currently investigating. Demons are merciless and I have a feeling this Fax and its master, Adramelech, are going to put you through the ringer. Not to mention whoever is pulling the strings. From what I’ve read, it looks like an Asuran following. I haven’t seen stuff like this since my time in the Europe. A real nasty cult they were. Though...”

            “Asuran what?” Cassie said as she approached the table with two cups of coffee.

            “Followers of Asura is another name for them.” Naomi scooted out of the booth so Cassie could sit down. “But Interpol rounded them up and all their major players are locked up in maximum security prisons. I doubt anyone affiliated with them are free. Anyways, I should go. I have a lecture in an hour and my notes are back in my office. Feel free to stop by anytime, Jade, if you need anything.”

            Naomi winked and strode out of the café. James scratched his head and sat back down. Jade, Cassie, and James divvied up the files again and went on to discuss their findings. James paled when he saw the photos of the mutilated cattle and the girls. But what he had found was even more disturbing with what Naomi had told them. There was a group that called themselves the Asuran Knights at large in Europe. Based on the information Aubrey had gathered in his interviews with Interpol and other government agencies, as well as people who’ve encountered the cult, the Knights were looking for something. Some kind of location where spiritual beings and the like would be drawn to. A beacon of sorts. In addition to that, they were recruiting members worldwide and wouldn’t hesitate to kidnap and murder people to accomplish their goals. Whatever they were after was up in the air. Jade sighed and leaned back in the booth. She looked at her phone and saw a message from her mom telling her she needed to hurry home. Jade hugged James and Cassie and started out of the café, leaving the files with James and Cassie. As she left the café, Jade passed a tall balding man. When her shoulder brushed his, a chill ran down her spine. She turned in time to spot a black cloud surrounding him and a strange tattoo on the back of his neck�"a black skull with horns and three circles in the forehead. He turned and smiled at Jade. Bile rose in her throat and she hurried down the street.

            Jade pulled out her phone and shot a text to James. “A man just entered the café. He’s balding with a weird tat on his neck. I got a bad feeling about him. Be careful and hide the files in Cassie’s purse.”

            Jade kept her phone in hand as she turned towards Main Street Square. She felt eyes on her and the hair on the back of her neck raise. As she crossed the street, Jade pulled her compact out of her purse and clicked it open. Stopping next to a bench, she used the mirror to see behind her. There were two people she’d never seen before on the other side of the street. She bit her lip and clicked the mirror closed. As she slipped it back into her purse, someone grabbed Jade and dragged her into an alley. Jade kicked and snapped her head back. Whoever grabbed her cursed and let her go. She turned around, prepared to dropkick her attacker when she recognized her brother. Jade cursed and walked up to Brian and smacked him in the back of his head.            

            “I could have killed you.” She fussed. “Why did you grab me like that?”

            “No you couldn’t.” Brian said, pinching his bloody nose. “You can’t even beat me when Momma has us spar. Oh, and she sent me to get you. Something about the fire marshal wanting to talk to you.”

            “You could have just parked and let me know you were nearby.” Jade crossed her arms.

            “I did park. Someone was following you. Gotta protect my baby sister.” Brian scratched at his blonde hair.

            “I can protect myself.” Jade followed Brian through the alley. “I’m not a little kid anymore.”

            “Only a little kid would say that. Get in the car. Those men probably have a good hundred or so pounds on you.”

            “I could have taken them if I had to.” Jade buckled her seatbelt. “How’s your thesis going?”

            “Good. I have my defense mid-April.” Brian cranked the battered Honda. “Just what have you and your friends gotten yourself into this time?”

            “It’s possible that there is some sort of evil cult in town wanting to cause anarchy or whatever.” Jade sighed.

            “Seriously? A cult? You’d be better off leaving that to the fuzz.

            “The fuzz can’t fight ghosts.”

            “Just be careful.” Brian sighed as he parked in the driveway of their house. “Dad’s at the end of his rope with your ghosts and stuff.”

            “I know.” Jade stepped out of the car and looked at the Jeep with Blake Fire Department painted on the side. “He thinks I’m nuts. ‘You need to stop with the ghost games, Jade. You’re too old for games like that.’”

            Brian laughed and shut the car off. Shaking her head, Jade entered the house. She heard voices in the kitchen. When she got there, the fire marshal, Mr. Hawethorn, and Mrs. Hawethorn were sitting at the island drinking coffee. Jade greeted the trio and gave her mother and father a hug. She poured herself a cup of coffee and sad down next to the fire marshal.

            “Hi Captain Green.” She said, sipping her coffee. “How are you this afternoon.

            “I’m well, Miss Hawethorn.” Captain Green nodded. “Is there anything else you can tell me about the fire? Notice anything strange?”

            “Well,” Jade twirled one shortened strand of hair in her hand, “I know that house was brand new. It was built almost a year ago where our old house stood. I never expected it to have an electrical fire. Like I said in the hospital, I didn’t notice anything particularly strange. I don’t really remember much.”

            “Right.” Captain Green sighed. “Thank you for your time. I have to go now. Good day, Mr. Hawethorn. Mrs. Hawethorn. Jade.”

            Jade waited until the fire marshal left to say what she really thought about the fire, knowing full well Captain Green wouldn’t believe her is she mentioned anything supernatural.

            “There was a demon in that fire.” She looked directly at her mother. “A strong one too. I can still sense it somewhere here in town.”

            “That could be a problem.” Mrs. Hawethorn sighed.

            “Demons? Ghosts?” Mr. Hawethorn clipped. “Jade, it was just an electrical fire. Captain Green said as much. This game you’re playing with your friends is not appropriate.”

            “It’s not a game, Dad.” Jade sat her empty cup down carefully. “I know what I saw. And I would never play about ghosts. Or demons for that matter. Both are too dangerous to joke about.”

            “Dangerous?” Mr. Hawethorn deadpanned. “There are no such things as ghosts. You have to accept that. You can’t see or touch or smell or feel ghosts. They’re not real.”

            “Yes they are, Dad.” Jade stood. “Why can’t you just believe me for once? You believe in God don’t you? You can’t see God. Or smell or touch him. And yet you believe he exists. I’ve seen and interacted with ghosts. I know they are real.”

            “You will not speak ill of the lord in this house.” Mr. Hawethorn growled.

            “How can I speak ill of something I don’t believe exists?” Jade countered.

            “Alright you two!” Mrs. Hawethorn interjected, stepping between Jade and Mr. Hawethorn. “That is enough. Jade, go study in your room. Don’t you have a test on Monday? And Charles, give her a break. She almost died last week. You can put up with her ghost talk for once. She’s been having a tough time lately.”

            Jade huffed and stormed out of the kitchen and up to her room. She ignored her arguing parents and shut her decorated door. She leaned against it and closed her eyes, forcing back the tears threatening to escape. She understood why her dad didn’t believe in ghosts�"he didn’t believe in anything he couldn’t interact with. But she wished he wouldn’t berate her about the ghosts she was trying to help. He used to listen intently when she told him about her ghost cases, but as she got older, he grew less tolerant. Imaginary friends�"that’s what Jade figured her father thought about her ghosts when she was little. Jade took a deep breath to steady herself�"her whole body was shaking. She reached for the pocket of her jeans when she felt her phone vibrate. It was a text from James.

            “I’m coming over. Open your window.”

            Jade looked up in time to see James crouched in the tree outside her window. She crawled across her bed and opened the window to let him in. He put one foot on the window sill and grabbed Jade’s hand. When he was safely standing in the middle of the room, Jade hugged him tight and cried. James put his arms around Jade and rubbed her back. When she’d finished crying, Jade pulled back and looked in horror at the smeared mascara on James’s red shirt.

            “That shirt was new!” She exclaimed. “Sorry.”

            “Don’t worry about it.” James handed Jade some tissue from the desk. “What are best friends for?”

            “You’re the best.” Jade sniffed. “Why’d you come through the window?”

            “I was going to knock on the door, but I heard arguing in the kitchen.” James shrugged and sat on the edge of Jade’s bed. “The window seemed safer.”

            “You’re probably right.” Jade plopped down next to him. “Momma and Dad are arguing about me again. I feel really bad about it.”

            “You shouldn’t. They care about you. I figure they disagree on how to handle your royal danger-proneness.”

            “I am not danger prone.” Jade huffed.

            James just stared at Jade. His face clearly disagreed.

            “Okay, maybe I am. But that’s beside the point. By the way, weren’t you with Cassie a an hour ago when I left? I was about to message you when you popped up in the tree.”

            “We finished going through the files.” James scratched at his cheek. “There were some strangers nearby when we left, like that man you warned me about. I walked Cassie home and came straight here. I was worried about you. Oh, and here are the files. Figured you might want to lock them in the library of a brain you have.”

            “Thanks.” Jade took the file-folder and put it in the bottom drawer of her desk. “I’ll go through it later.”

            “What’s wrong?” James asked.

            “A lot.” Jade scooted over towards the window and laid down on her stomach. “Dad thinks I’m nuts. That demon that started the fire is still on this plane. There might be an evil cult in town. And I don’t have a date for the Spring Fling.”

            “I don’t really know what to do about the cult.” James laid down on his side next to Jade. “But we can track down that demon. Cassie’s working on an incantation to send it back to wherever it came from. As for the Spring Fling, why don’t you go with me? Cassie is going with Emily.”

            “You don’t dance.” Jade countered.

            “So what?” James smiled.

            “You’re right.” Jade propped her head on her hand. “Sure. I’ll go with you. What about Dad thinking I’m nuts?”

            “I’m sure he’ll come to his senses.” James laughed. He narrowed his eyes. “When’s the last time you slept?”

            “I sleep all the time…but I’ve been having those dreams again.”

            “The nightmares?”

            “Yeah. They’re all the same. I die in all of them.” Jade yawned. “It’s weird. It’s like I’m me and not me at the same time.”

            “Could these dreams be memories from other people?”

            “Since the dreams end in death, I would wager they’re the last moments a ghost saw before they died. If that’s what these dreams are.”

            “Are these the only dreams you are having?” James sat up.

            “Mostly, yeah.” Jade moved to sit in front of James. “Sometimes I dream I forgot to wear pants to class.”

            “Seriously?”

            “Though I’m not really worried since I have nice legs.” Jade twirled her hair. “I usually end up borrowing someone’s gym clothes and then there’s dancing turtles and talking vegetables. Really weird.”

            “At least you’re having somewhat normal dreams.” James sighed. “Your hair looks good short like that.”

            “You think?” Jade looked at her now chin-length hair. “Momma took me to the salon when I got out of the hospital to get it trimmed. Half of it was singed in the fire, so they had to take almost all of it off. It’s weird having wind on the back of my neck.”

            “It’ll grow back.” James rubbed a strand of hair between his fingers. “Better your hair than you, right? I don’t know what I would have done if you didn’t come back from that fire.”

            “But I came back.” Jade grabbed James’s hand and traced the lines of his palms. “I’m sorry I went straight to the case when I was released. I have a one-tract mind.”

            “Don’t apologize.” James squeezed Jade’s hand. “You want to eradicate the danger before someone else can get hurt. I knew you were alright when you wanted to get right to work.”

            “Oh…enough about the ghosts. How are you and the debate team doing?”

            “We are going to nationals.” James leaned forward. “And I’m in the running for co-captain.”

            “That’s awesome.” Jade bounced up and down on the bed. “If I were on debate, I’d totally vote for you.”

            “Thanks.” James said as the bedroom door opened.

            Mrs. Hawethorn poked her head in the room to tell Jade supper was ready and asked if James would be staying for dinner. She didn’t look at all surprised that he was in the room. James shook his head saying something about having to fix something for Kylee since his mom was working late.

            “Hang on,” Jade stopped James as he moved to the door.

            “What’s wrong?”

            “If you’re here and Ma’ is working late, who’s watching Kylee? She’s seven.” Jade puffed out her cheeks.

            “Ms. Hamil is watching her until I get home.” James shrugged. “And Bosco is there in case anyone tries to break in.”

            “Not many people are scared of a little hyperactive Chihuahua.” Jade deadpanned. “Why don’t you bring her over here for dinner? I think a good pot roast is better than frozen dinners every night.”

            “You’re probably right.” James sighed. “She has been complaining about the dinners. It’s been hard since Dad was deployed.”

            “I’m sorry.” Jade sat on her bed. “You know, if Kylee is getting tired of frozen dinners since you don’t really know how to cook, I could teach you how to make a few things. Liked baked chicken and stir-fry. And I don’t know many people who can mess up spaghetti. Kylee likes spaghetti.”

            “I think I’ll take you up on that.” James laughed. “I know Kylee would love it if you came over more�"like you did before the ghosts got so bad.”

            Jade looked at her feet. “I guess I’ve changed a lot, huh. Ghosts are dangerous, you know and…”

            “I know.” James smiled and rubbed the top of Jade’s head. “There are wards around your house to keep the evil ghosts out. Not so much for my house. Anyways, before I left after walking Cassie home, Cassie told me to tell you to call her. She’s working on a way to take care of that Fax.”

            “I’ll call her after dinner.” Jade stood and walked James out. “I’ll tell Momma you and Kylee are going to have dinner with us. And I’ll be sure to put a plate up for Ma’.”

            Jade stood on her toes and kissed James’s cheek. “And thanks for climbing through my window. I needed someone to talk to.”

            “Anytime.” James smiled and started across the street.

            Jade turned in time to see her mother grinning at her. She rolled her eyes and went to set the table in the kitchen. It appeared, to Jade, that most people believed there was something more than friendship between her and James. In a way, they were right. Jade and James had an inseparable bond. They grew up together. He was the first to accept that ghosts were a daily part of Jade’s life, and instead of thinking she was clinically insane, he declared that he would help her cross spirits over in any way he could. Even before that, instead of jumping in the middle of what she was saying declaring she was being irrational when she explained something that happened in one of her nightmares, he would listen. And when Jade finished explaining, he would tell her that everything would be alright and he wouldn’t let anything bad happen to her.

            Jade was snapped from her thoughts when someone tackled her from behind, almost knocking her over. Jade turned around in time to see a four-foot tall blonde covered head to toe in band-aids and Dora The Explorer stickers.

            “Hi, Kylee.” Jade smiled and knelt to look the girl in the eyes. “Don’t you look pretty. What’s with all the band-aids and stickers?”

            “Mrs. Hamil fell asleep and I wanted to see how many band-aids would fit on my body.” Kylee smiled. “But then I ran out. So I opened my sticker box and tried to finish. But those ran out, too.”

            “I see.” Jade looked up at James who shrugged. “Well, I hope you’re hungry, ‘cause Momma made an awesome supper.”

            “It smells so good!” Kylee jumped up into her chair next to where Kenny, Jade’s little brother, was sitting down. “Hi Kenny!”

            “H-hi K-kylee.” Kenny twisted his head. “H-how are y-y-you?”

            “I’m great!” she smiled. “How are you?”

            “I’m…uh…gooood.” Kenny furrowed his brows. “Hu-hu-hungry.”

            “I like the way you talk.” Kylee smiled. “Let’s be friends forever!”

            “Ok-k-kay.” Kenny smiled.

            Jade walked over to where James was seating himself and nudged him. When he looked up, she pointed with a wry smile on her face.

            “I see a friendship blossoming.” Jade whispered as she sat in the seat next to James.

            “A friendship indeed.” James chuckled. “This pot roast is awesome. You have to teach me how to make it.”

            “I’ve made it a few times.” Jade moved her potatoes around in the gravy. “So I can teach you this one.”

            James gave a thumbs up and continued eating. Jade ate her plate slowly as she observed what was going on at the table. Brian was explaining his upcoming presentation at Blake University to Mrs. Hawethorn. Mr. Hawethorn was asking James about school. Kylee and Kenny were having a conversation about a show they both liked on the TV. There were no ghosts or demons trying to hurt them. Jade knew that was because of the wards around her house. How they got there, she didn’t know. It was Cassie who spotted them when she went to put up her own wards. Whoever set up the wards was a very powerful witch. Cassie suspected it was someone on the level of a Crone.



© 2017 Breezy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this chapter, too. Looking forward to more.
Do adults really say "anyways"? Shouldn't it just be "anyway"? Or maybe it's a regional thing?

Posted 6 Years Ago


It's good to see that you choose names that aren't used almost everywhere like Jack or Jessica. In my opinion, using uncommon names like you are now makes it easier to remember characters. Also, where did you get the idea for Lucifer's Sigil? I tried to picture what it looked like but I can't seem to find any correlation between what I'm imagining and any markings I'm familiar with. I study these kinds of things as a hobby (not a practice, don't worry) and I'm genuinely curious if the sigil you're using is actually mentioned somewhere when referring to demons.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 15, 2017
Last Updated on June 15, 2017


Author

Breezy
Breezy

TN



About
I'm a small town country girl who loves a good ghost story every now and again. I love to read and write stories in my free time. I hope to travel the world someday and write about that experience. more..

Writing
Goodbye Goodbye

A Poem by Breezy


Danger Danger

A Chapter by Breezy