A Poignant Character

A Poignant Character

A Story by nihilistictablelamp

You will live on average a life filled with various circumstances and horrendous heartbreak that will consume your aching heart. Although the heart is a mere muscle, it is however debatable whether or not it has any relation to any emotion felt whatsoever. 
Or you simply will not. You could die an infant. 
Perhaps you could be a part of the minuscule percentage of asexuals, and if that is the case, I can promise you that it does not mean that you will carry out a life bereft of any love whatsoever from friends and beloved family. 
Because isn't that what every living soul yearns for? A bit of affection? A band-aid over a bruised knee, a kiss on the infected wound; A promise that tomorrow, tomorrow you'll be better and you'll achieve all of your hopes and dreams, and your broken heart will finally be mended? 
No. Of course not. We live ephemeral lives that complete the melancholy cycle of anguish and frustration. Our lives are built on the belief that if you continue to work fervently for a cause, then you will find the precious gem sitting at the end of the road. But what of love lost, a malignant cancer that cannot be eradicated? Tell me that I am not the only soul who thinks of these things, who lies awake at night, counting the days until my mother departs this world and I am bestowed a vicious disease that consumes my lungs or I have to live my life bereft of a breast. But the human race exists to build upon what remains of the rubble and leave those who decide to meander through a winding path to scurry around for the meager memories behind.
A flurry of emotions overwhelms me on a busy street in the midst of a cloudy Sunday afternoon, and momentarily afterwards, the feeling dissipates, and I am left to plaster a smile upon my face and respond to the moving traffic heading so hastily to their destination; Lives that I may never meet, paths I may never cross, and the inevitable question that continues to linger: What if -- What if something different were to have occurred that day? What if the burly man with the thick grey overcoat did not spill his coffee? What if the woman in her pink top hat and (Quite possibly) son that accompanied her cloaked in his azure windbreaker did not reach the parcel at the post office five minutes before the building closed up? What if the magazine that was thrown away with the red ring encircled around an engagement ring ad meant that the man had changed his mind about his beloved -- that she was no longer his beloved, but a mere approaching "Thing Of The Past," and it all depended on when he got home to see her beautiful brunette hair pinned back with an emerald bow only to break her heart. 
Time never did let the poignant character handle it well. 

© 2013 nihilistictablelamp


Author's Note

nihilistictablelamp
"But we are not abandoned cars stalled out and sitting empty on a highway."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

something about this was unexpected. it could have been suddenly seeing myself as this poignant character - with the same questioning thoughts, and the unsettling feeling of expecting the worst happening to the best thing in your life. .. you're not the only one who have these thoughts; thanks for sharing them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm writing a piece entitled, "Check Engine Light". We as humans were not meant to be alone. We are to in relationship with each other. Somehow we need to claw our way through all of the crap that humanity spews before us to find the single that will make our legacy. We try everything within our power to create happiness or fulfillment, but in the end we are left unsatisfied. We have nothing to prove to no one. We can't go through life seeking approval, we can't go through life being the people pleaser. We can serve out of a loving heart, but to please in order to get approval will leave you broken and empty. Nice write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Interesting piece. There is a lot of thought processing going on. A piece of advice: each of us does what he or she can do for the best and the rest is left up to God. There are things beyond mortal control. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and epilepsy in 2009. Was I a bit sad? of course. I wouldn't be human if I wasn't but at the same time I knew that I should be thankful for what I have because others will always have it worse than you and so on and so forth. Some people fall in love for the rest of their lives and for some people it just doesn't workout. Beware: learn from your past but do not dwell over it. It will get you nowhere. Great piece with a lot of catharsis and poignancy and meaning into it. You've stirred up some emotions in me. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

I'm glad its brought up some emotions in you. But of course --
"Sometimes things happen and yo.. read more
Shane Mohamed

10 Years Ago

No problem. Take it easy.
something about this was unexpected. it could have been suddenly seeing myself as this poignant character - with the same questioning thoughts, and the unsettling feeling of expecting the worst happening to the best thing in your life. .. you're not the only one who have these thoughts; thanks for sharing them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I dig the topsy-turvy flow of the narrative. The way the narrative itself seems to wrestle with itself to decide how and why it should be born. And where would all the great art and creativity produced by all those poignant characters be, if they had all handled it so "well," if they had all been so "well adjusted." I think the world would have been a darker place. In my opinion, a certain amount of alienation from society is necessary to be healthy as an artist. What can we say of the features of the beast when we are trapped within its belly.

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

A particularly enjoy your last sentence, quite intriguing -- thanks for reading.
L.Edward

10 Years Ago

No worries. Hope you have an awsum weekend!
"For we are born in differences and similarities we all breathe the same air that soon turn us into dust. Of what beauty time has given the poignant character must know that some rise to the occasion of hero others to the purpose of destruction.

A hero that seeks out is not one that is easily found by the masses. Partaking with the mores and the idiosyncractics of his city he sets his very path of justice. As do the minds of his peers create a path of injustice he sets out the rights of their wrongs into submission. For what he has in mind is resolution, in his heart a conviction and in his soul a redemption. What is wronged cannot be simply righted while the righted is easily wronged but he believes in what they call a second chance. As judgement is passed so is retribution so as atonement and absolution. Jury is to judge as to executioner is to conscience he makes his call slowly and affirmatively. As naivete to those who see him he knows exactly his misdeeds and mistrials before he called a hero.

A villain is the real man of the real world. He never forgets as he cherishes his true self to those around him. The morose expressions he leaves in his face is one that is unforgettable. For what light out there shines deeply and is reflected in his eyes. When he knows he had unleashed his wrath he exhales of relief. For wrought in wroth he becomes the normal end of society because he is easily accepted and rejected by those who follow and despise him respectively. This is the maniacal madness he calls his own.

When both worlds collide, they not only convalesce but they also become us. These are the means of what you define to be as humane as possible. For time and patience as they say are the strongest warriors they bow to no human that will dare to conquer them. These are points of poignance but of integrity as there are those who we surround ourselves with."

People would say that as a rabble but what I saw in this critical moment was that you provided a channel of perspectives between good and evil for me to look at. People are people but there are those who seek out good and evil in their own time alone. Simply amazing, thank you very much :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

im loving your thought process here... wish there was more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"Time never did let the poignant character handle it well", but she somehow manages to beautifully explain it. Great diction, I enjoyed this emotive and philosophical piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very nice :) love the way you wrote this :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


nihilistictablelamp

10 Years Ago

Appreciated!
Very well done. I appreciate your wisdom and thoughts here.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Splendid as always . Thank you for sharing...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 15, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2013
Tags: Myriad, Emotions, Adoration, Simplicity, Philosophy, Curiosity

Author

nihilistictablelamp
nihilistictablelamp

TX



About
I want to keep smashing myself until I am whole. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..