Steel Forest

Steel Forest

A Story by Dave "Doc" Rogers
"

Twisted Metal February 7, 2008 - December 31, 2008

"

Steel Forest

by Dave Doc Rogers

 

“Thank you, Tom and Anita. This is Mike Marston, Channel 5 News, bringing you the latest on the chemical explosion near the Central City Park. It appears there has been a rather large explosion near the park. We have been trying to get as close as we can to find out more information as to what exactly happened but Central City PD is keeping everyone back. We will try to reposition ourselves to a better vantage point and bring you more on this apparent chemical explosion near Central City Park. Back to you at the news desk. Tom, Anita.”


 

“And ... you're out”


 

“Excellent. We have 5 minutes to get closer and get info before we are due back on the air. Let's get crackin'.”


 

Mike Marston coiled up his microphone cord as quickly as he could and jumped into the driver's seat of the cargo van they used for live remotes. Ted, the producer slash cameraman was cycling out batteries as Mike negotiated nearly vacant streets. Mike looked frantically for a side street or alley that didn't have a police barricade blocking the other end. Mike was an aggressive reporter with a nose for the news. At least, that is what he liked to tell himself.


 

Mike and Ted looked at each other in disbelief. Was that an earthquake? Here in Central City? A low rumble passed through their bodies vibrating everything. Mike hit the breaks and the van skidded to a stop. The ground around them began to vibrate.


 

“Are you getting this, Ted?” Mike shouted at the cameraman.


 

Pulled out of his shock, Ted swung the camera up to his shoulder, red light blinking. “I am now.”


 

The road in front of them was rippling like a wave from a pebble dropped in a small pool. Bits of façade from the buildings around them began to land in various places along the sides walks.


 

“Hey, man! What the hell is happening here?” Ted said to no one in particular but Mike replied with a quick 'I dunno.' “Get us outta here, Mike!”


 

“Yeah ... right!” Mike didn't know where to go. Everything was coming a part at the seams around them. At least the streets were somewhat stable, Mike thought to himself as he floored the accelerator. Dodging falling debris more than trying to drive anywhere in particular, Mike took turns down streets that looked like they might be safer.


 

Coming out of the alley, Mike saw flashing lights to his left; reds, blues, whites. He turned to the right. There in front of him was something out of a comic book. “Are getting that?”


 

“I wish I wasn't this close, Mike. I can zoom, you know!” Ted was nearly hysterical.


 

“Right! Just keep shooting.” Mike hit the breaks hard. Whatever it was was giving off tremendous heat. Mike could feel it on his skin through the van's windshield. He shifted quickly into reverse and floored it. He turned in his seat to look out the rear windows as they sped backwards up the street towards the flashing lights. The ground was trembling making it difficult to steer the van. He was considering just backing into one of the side streets so he could go in the right direction when there was a tremendous explosion and the van seemed to float in the air for a moment before hitting the ground hard and crumpling.


 

Mike awoke. It was hard to breathe. Something heavy was on his chest. He managed to work his arms around to push whatever it was off of him. He heard what sounded like a groan, then nothing. He couldn't see anything. He brought a hand to his face. It was wet and sticky. He groped around for a moment to figure out where he was. From what he could tell, he was still in the van but no longer behind the steering wheel. He felt around his body. He was bleeding in several places but nothing serious. He still couldn't see. Something wet and sticky covered his face and he wasn't sure if he should open his eyes just yet. He managed to find the rear doors to the van. They were damaged but opened with a little effort. He slid out and onto the street. It was the first time he noticed the sirens blaring from everywhere. It was the emergency response network. Something terrible has happened here, he thought.


 

Mike managed to drag himself to the side of the van and listened. Whatever happened was not close by anymore. He reached into his left trouser pocket for the handkerchief he normally kept there. He clumsily opened it to its fullest and began wiping at his face. Satisfied that there wasn't anything new pouring down onto his face, he ventured opening his eyes. There was a gaping hole next to where the van, half crushed, lay. He had no idea how deep it might be. Looking down, there was a large piece of metal protruding from his left leg. No wonder that hurts, he noted. He was in shock. He knew that. He had to use the time he did have before things got worse.


 

Mike dragged himself back to the van to check on Ted. The camera and the left half of Ted was still in the front seat. The right half of Ted was gone. Mike pried the camera out of the dead man's hand and pulled it out of the van. He knew he could do a low level broadcast from here with the camera. Maybe his signal could get out. He looked for a clearing that would make it easier. He started dragging himself and his equipment as best as he could.


 

“This is Mike Marston, Channel 5 News, near Central City Park. I do not know if anyone is getting this but here is my video feed and my story.


 

“This is Mike Marston, Channel 5 News, near Central City Park. I do not know if anyone is getting this but here is my video feed and my story.


 

“Ready, mark ... Hello, this is Mike Marston, Channel 5 News, in the vicinity of Central City Park. The site of the devastation is beyond description but I will try. I am too weak to pan the camera around so please trust me when I say twisted metal lies all around me. I look up through more twisted metal like blackened denuded trees reaching into a horror filled sky. What was a growing industrial and commercial complex near the Central City Park has become a forest of twisted, blackened steel. Bits of glass surround me on all sides. From where I sit, not a single window has glass in it. They all look like hollow eyes staring back at me through rising clouds of black smoke. I can't find my way out of this hellish forest. I drag myself where I need to go. A wound from a piece of metal protruding from my leg inhibits me from walking. Without help, I know I will succumb to the pain and shock of what has happened. In the distance I hear shouts in agony and fear. I pray they are searching for survivors. Already dear casualties have occurred. I will loop this broadcast in hopes that someone will find it and rebroadcast it. This is Mike Marston, Channel 5 News, signing off for now and in search of other survivors.”


 

The video display showed Mike leaning to one side intently working on something with the camera. There is motion as the camera is set down. In the right third of the picture is a crushed white cargo van with a barely discernible Channel 5 News logo. In the middle ground there is a rubble and debris strewn street with large fissure cracks running threw it. In the left third of the picture, the retreating and crawling figure of Mike Marston. A slick, reddish brown trail follows after his left leg. Agonizingly slow, the camera watches Mike drag himself along the sidewalk. He gets to the corner and looks left around it. He uses the wall to help pull himself up. Leaning heavily on his right leg, he turns the corner. Seconds pass as flashes of red, blue, and green are seen. A burst of white light flashes. As the camera lens rebalances to the ambient light of the street, laying just in camera to the right third is a crumpled body with a bit of metal protruding from the left thigh.


 

© 2008 Dave "Doc" Rogers


Author's Note

Dave "Doc" Rogers
ignore grammar problems, what do you think of the dialogue

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow that was pretty cool! I like the ending the best! I love endings where no one survives! Thanks for entering the Contest! Sorry it took so long to get this done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow! visceral writing! Very intense. Nicely done, and a different theme...awesome write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story grabbed me from the start and left me wanting to know - What was that?
I liked the ending, never knowing what it was that happened.......... a little like life at times when your blindsided.
Well done!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The dialogue is excellent and very smooth. The storyline is captivating. Wow. You did good, again. lol

I like it ... :+)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it. Don't think anyone would actually do it, but having never been there wouldn't know.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
5 Reviews
Added on October 5, 2008

Author

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Dave "Doc" Rogers

Montgomery, AL



About
Artist • Author • Poet • Preacher I am a thinker, ponderer, assayer of thoughts. I have had a penchant for writing since childhood. I prefer "Doc" as an hommage to my grandfather Rob.. more..

Writing