Uncle John

Uncle John

A Story by Dave "Doc" Rogers
"

In memorium and for the �Support our Support� contest at Writers Caf�

"

Uncle John

By Dave Doc Rogers
© 20090131
For the “Support our Support” contest at Writers Café
 
He sat on his couch, surrounded by loved ones, showing a turkey shoot trophy for first place. He was an older man reliving the vigor of youth. I sat there watching as a young man, ignorant of the importances of life. Here was my uncle; my mother’s sister’s husband. I suppose proximity and familiarity diluted the strength of this man. I did not realize until much later the value of the man who sat there excitedly retelling how an “old man” like himself out shot all of those “younger” guys. My dad, no longer a young man himself, shared in that laughter. Knowing eyes did not divulge much more than laughter.
 
It was the thing all young men did. They kissed their wives or their girlfriends, waved good-bye to their moms, boarded a bus, and went to basic training. For those living in rural, depression-era Georgia during the 1930s and early 1940s, a money earner for the family just got on that bus. They would have to do with even less now. Some may have argued that very point. Others said nothing because it was the right thing to do. In middle Europe at the same time, no one had an option. They were engaged in a war.
 
My Uncle John arrived at boot camp, received the haircut, was issued new clothes, was told where to go. He distinguished himself as a country boy who could shoot. They transferred him to one motorized division to another one for special infantry. After training, he went to England. After England, he spent considerable time in France. He was with the boys that survived when they landed at Normandy. He was with them when his division was honored for holding a key city until relieved. I was told his tank was hit. He went one way. His best friend went the other. They didn’t see each other again for many years. Grown men bawling like babes on a downtown street.
 
The honored sergeant returned home. There were no outward signs of damage. It was a different era. They didn’t talk about combat fatigue or battle stress. They just dealt with ‘their’ issues. Those that served in the Pacific or in Europe understood what it was like. The horror stories these men could not share because the eyes staring back at them would disbelieve. For an infantry soldier, warfare gets very close and personal. Uncle John was no exception. My mother related a story after my uncle’s return from war where his mind returned to war while his body was in central Georgia. It involved shoving his oldest boy against the wall, shouting interrogating words in German, and a loving family trying to get their dad back. When he came back to his mind, he left for three days. He loved his family much.
 
There were no other tales told of my Uncle John beyond here is a man who helped raise ten kids, loved his wife, worked really hard, loved to fish, loved to hunt, and loved his extended family as his own. He and his brother-in-law helped create a legacy of sorts. Because of their honored service to their country in extremely difficult times, many of the children of the extended family proved themselves also in military service; even in times when the military effort was disliked. I, too, served.
 
A movie came out about saving a private which lead to a mini-series about a parachute infantry regiment. My Uncle John was one of those that shouted Currahee! He was one of the fortunate few that returned home. Having watched the mini-series several times and knowing what I know of war from books, film, interviews, and marginal experience, I gained a better measure of the man who sat upon his couch surrounded by loved ones talking about a turkey shoot trophy. I never heard him make a big deal of his time in Europe. I heard him make a big deal about his family and living life. His sons and daughters spoke more of their father’s time in Europe than he did. He was one of the fortunate few that returned to live life among people, to face the challenges of normalcy, to hope to never send their sons and daughters to go do what he did.
 
My Uncle John spent the remainder of his days a father, a grandfather, and a great grandfather. He had the misfortune to bury his wife at younger age than should have been. A man of goodly physical strength waned to old age and disease. He was laid to rest, a hero; not of war but of life. War shaped his passion for living. Life tasted all the more sweeter. Those things taken as common and unappreciated became of high value, because of whom and what he left behind in Europe during the 1940s.
 
My Uncle John rests with his wife now. He lived a full life; fuller than most, perhaps less than others. He gave of himself willingly for God and country and for a people he did not know. He returned and worked and lived. No one knew the horrors he saw except for a few, a band of brothers. Greatness is not always born out of doing well in great events. Most of the time it is born out of doing the most commonplace things to the best of your ability over the balance of your life and hoping it was enough to impact another’s life.
 
My Uncle John’s legacy continues on through his children, me, my writing, and through the living that hear the retelling of his life.
 
In loving memory:
John Lee Eubanks
December 23, 1920 to April 27, 1997
506e PIR, 101st Infantry Division, USA
“Easy Company”

http://www.506infantry.org/images2/wwii/e2506pirlg.jpg

 

© 2009 Dave "Doc" Rogers


Author's Note

Dave "Doc" Rogers
The memory of those who went before us will not fade if we do not forget them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A fine piece. accurate and well-written. I'm quite familiar with the kind of man your uncle was because it seemed you could've been writing about my stepfather. The "greatest generation" they called them, and I'll not argue that title.
One small thing I noticed--"They transferred him to one motorized...." It seems you might have intended to say "from" instead of "to".

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A fine piece. accurate and well-written. I'm quite familiar with the kind of man your uncle was because it seemed you could've been writing about my stepfather. The "greatest generation" they called them, and I'll not argue that title.
One small thing I noticed--"They transferred him to one motorized...." It seems you might have intended to say "from" instead of "to".

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A outstanding story. I have a step-Father who was in Europe from 1941-1945. Never spoke a word to me about it. Some men and woman can overcome the terror of War. Keep it put away to a secret place. Your Uncle John sound like a good man. Need to remember the Elders who showed us the proper way to live.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Doc this gave me chills and made me cry. What a wonderful tribute to a hero and a great man. You were truely blessed to have known him so well and to have enjoyed him. The story is wonderful. So often people shy away from expressing gratitude for all those soldiers out their who have fought so bravely for our country and came home, not expecting thanks, just acceptance. Thank you for stepping up to show gratitude and exemplifying the value and valor your uncle possessed. May I also say "Thank you" for your service too. My daughter leaves for Iraq in October. She never talks about what she does; she just accepts it as part of her job. We too are a service family from way back. Excellent story!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello Doc,
Excellent story, man. I had a similar uncle who was among those that liberated Bucanaw (spelling?). He used to tell tales of the ashes, the human bones, and the human skeletons that were allowed to pick up what was left of their mudered lives and seek freedom in the war torn aftermath of Germany. I remember him driving me around Washington DC in his nifty van as he sipped gin from a plastic cup while listening to sublime symphonies on the radio and enduring my continuous shanking of the ball as he taught me the noble distraction of Golf; I was struggling with life at my first billet in a Navy cruiser. He was later stricken by a stroke and spent the remains of his life wiltering in a wheelchair, barely able to speak, his mind still as sharp as the bayonette he once bore for the world.

I salute the tribute you give to your Uncle John, and share in a measure of your love for him through my Uncle Francis. As we trudge on into the twenty first century and our country carries the standard of the Stars and Stripes, memories of our childhood mentors give way to those that fight and die to this day, ensuring life and liberty for the children among us who'll one day have to pick up our uncles' legacy to defend freedom. Semper Fi, brada!
BZ

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

amen. I remember this I think from CN? correct? This is indicative of how the men were at that time, not the me me's we have now...I love my sons but I don't know if they have the internal fortitude to live the way my granddad and my father in law did. A fitting tribute, Doc.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautifully well written. He will be honored beyond his time through your writing. Great writing, Excellent story.

Thank you for submitting this to my Support our Support contest.

v.r.
Ryan

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

From my cousin Jack Eubanks after reading this story:
THAT WAS GREAT WHAT YOU WROTE ABOUT DADDY I DIDNT REALIZE YOU NEW SO MUCH ABOUT THAT DAVE...

From my cousin Scott Eubanks after reading this story:
Holding tears Back
Man That is the great, wondering if I could post this story on my web site

Dustin Seth Eubanks, a grandson:
Hey Dave, thanks for writing the article about my grandpa, I have faint memories of him when I was a little kid write before he passed away, but the article helps me understand more of what type of man my grandpa was,...

John Eubanks
"Your article concerning my grandfather encompasses the respect I feel he so duely deserved. Thank you. I am the son of the son that was shoved against the wall."

I value these and thought I would share them here.

DJR.


Posted 15 Years Ago


Great tribute, to a great man who was a loyal American, came home and asked for nothing. I've always wondered about the men who fought in wars one, and two. Every war has it's terms for the reaction to soldiers have to seeing real death around the. It wasn't until Viet Nam we starting hearing of the damage done by the horror of war. Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Before that it was simply, shell shocked- Battle fatigue-War weary. I think it was a different breed of men who fought in Germany and Japan. Great piece. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Doc, what a wonderful tribute to your uncle! I am sure he would be proud to read a piece like this honoring his memory.

I have heard there are many soldiers that come back from war with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. That's what I thought of when you spoke of him throwing his son up against the wall and speaking to him in German.
My friends ex-husband after Vietnam could not kick his drug habit, he had PTSD so bad. There was an instance when they were some where and something triggered a memory and he dropped to the ground and began crawling as if through brush. My heart goes out to these...

Anyway, this was a beautiful story and your recollection of details is impressive! :-) Carole

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

822 Views
14 Reviews
Added on January 31, 2009
Last Updated on January 31, 2009

Author

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Dave "Doc" Rogers

Montgomery, AL



About
Artist • Author • Poet • Preacher I am a thinker, ponderer, assayer of thoughts. I have had a penchant for writing since childhood. I prefer "Doc" as an hommage to my grandfather Rob.. more..

Writing