Chapter One: The Strategic Battle

Chapter One: The Strategic Battle

A Chapter by Some Random Person.

Elizabeth was in her study, crying, longing for her father, Samuel. She’s been like that since he’d left this world and tragically killed his wife, Hermione. Hermione was a kind woman. Or as Samuel called her, “Sweet, with sugar on top.”  Hermione and Samuel were in a battle together, fighting the evil king, Tom Swhirl.  Swhirl had come in power by the means of something dangerous, something beyond all control. Whilst, Elizabeth had been 21 years old, her younger sister had been born just three months before the war, and now Elizabeth had to keep her, and raise her on her own! Surely they could be alive! Surely they wouldn’t leave her in command of a three month old baby! Elizabeth was too young to have to care for a child, nevertheless, a child of her own mother, a child who is no less than 21 years younger than herself! A child that was her own sister!

 

But she had to raise her. She had no choice now. The windows banged as the stringy fast lightning soured through the sky. It was raining heavily now, permitting the humidity to reach the books in the study, showering them with wetness. The noise was almost unbearable, both of the wind and the rain. The wind sounded like a hurricane was coming into the small town of which she’d lived in, the town of Seymour. It was almost like a desert, this place was. Both in population and in climate. Desert, but so very windy. Windier than the wind far out at sea. Windier than wind on top of the highest point of the highest mountain.  Windy enough that if a person wasn’t careful enough, the wind could sour them into the sky, and he or she would fly. It is said that windy. 

 

The war outside was like Britain in the Second World War Bombs flying everywhere, children and grownups alike screaming for mercy. It was almost as if there wasn’t a God, or that God was mad at them. No, more like mad at her. Elizabeth didn’t feel like doing anything. She didn’t feel like taking care of young Sarah. All she wanted to do was….. What did she want to do? The question was unknown even for her. How can Hermione die? She had to have lived! The bombs flew, cursing people fled, hoping to outrun the bombs, even though they knew they couldn’t outrun them. The planes flew past, breaking sound barriers, more bombs dropped. Screams flooded the city, now worse than World War II. How could this happen? There was a sound coming, sound of a missile about to strike…. It wouldn’t hit the house! No, it couldn’t! Why? How did I get into this mess?! She thought, still wet of tears and rain. Then, about a mile off course, the huge, frightening sound came.Shwoop-BANG! Yep, it was a missile, one frightening one at that. 

Then she woke suddenly, all sweaty and covered in rain. She was in a place with at least a million beds in it. Her arm ached like nothing else. It was stinging and hurting. She looked around further. She then noticed the orphaned babies, wondering about Sarah, she looked farther. She noticed that she wasn’t the only one with an arm burning off. The girl next to her had a cast over not only her arm, but both of her legs and her left hand. The cast on Elizabeth only consisted of her left arm. She then looked to the right side and saw this man, probably at the age of 32, in a full body cast. He probably is barely living. The nurse comes, talking with this man, Elizabeth assumes, is a doctor. He had on a white lab coat, with grey everything, including his glasses, and hair. He had a metallic circle on his forehead and an eye patch over his left eye. Despite all his lab/doctors’ equiptment, Elizabeth thought he looked like a pirate, or a pirate that most people thought of when they hear that specific term.

 

The doctor then came up to Elizabeth, and asked, “Feeling alright? Is your arm hurting at all?”

 

The answer to the questions were easily enough to be answered. To the first one she said, “Fine, but not great. Why? Because I don’t know what happened to me. Where’s Sarah?” To the second, she replied, “My arm is what you’d expect when you wake up in a mysterious place, arm hurting and in a cast.”

 

The doctor gave her a look of pity and said, “There was a weak bombing attack in your neighborhood. Sarah, I’m guessing, is your baby. She made it and is in the baby branch of this hospital, where you are now. I’m guessing you’re wondering how we found you? The answer to that is by absolute accident. Happy accident, as a fact, but by far a large accident. We do not know who bombed us here, in the state, but we are sure they’ll be back again.”

 

This news didn’t cheer her up much. In fact, it did quite the opposite. It made her feel worse. At least Sarah’s alive! She could have died! If Sarah died...  She shuddered in that thought. “No idea of who did this….” That was the worst thing of all. She thought about who it could be… and then she remembered before, when she was crying in her study. She had seen Tom Swhirl…. No, it couldn’t be him! He wouldn’t cause this much damage…Would he? Her rebelious mind kept saying it had to be him…Who else could this be? Who would cause so much pain to people who don’t deserve it? (Not thinking of herself, but of Sarah, the woman that lied next to her, and the man, opposite side.) Not to mention, why would he come himself? That, by itself, is suspicious. Swhirl never comes personally. Maybe that’s why it can’t be him….Then who else could it be? The country’s not at war with anyone….Or as far as they’re telling the people of the country. But how would Elizabethnot know.

 

Her father, Samuel was the King of this mysterious country. Ever since he was 23, he was crowned. The same would’ve happened to Elizabeth, had Swhirl never come into the military. When Swhirl gained the top spot of Captaincy, He decided that he could run the country much better than Samuel. The blood line of the kings came from the long line, since AD 2,000. Elizabeth was related to Solomon, John the Baptist, and many other famous people of the old history. She wasn’t proud of some, but the fact is, she is the first born, so she gets the crown. The family has always been in charge, whether the child being crowned was smart about their choices or not, the first born always won. If the first born dies in office, then the second born takes over, and so on. It had always been that way.

 

The country did have an1Overall Minister, but the King or Queen had much more value and importance than the Politian, hence, the Politian would always have the fear of attack and assassination. Neither the King nor the Queen need to fear of those deaths that people present the Overall Minister. The Kings and Queens of this world welcomed death and its minions. For welcoming death, it prevents death. That’s what Samuel said at his crowning. He was happy that he was chosen for the crown then. Now, what good had it done to him now? How would “welcoming death” save you now from death, dad? That’s the question that always remained in Elizabeth’s head, well, ever since his supposed death occurred, leaving Elizabeth and Sarah alone.

 

Another day or two passed, and Elizabeth was discharged. Sarah, however, was not yet able to leave yet. To that, Elizabeth was slightly happy about. Elizabeth walked out of the hospital, but before she did, she put a protective charm over the place. A charm to protect Sarah and all the inhabitants that now occupied the hospital. Elizabeth then asked the doctors to look after Sarah, and to not put her into any child protective services that they may use. She told them that she had a lot to do, and that she won’t be able to take Sarah with her. She said she wanted to know her every move and that she was okay. After all, she had to do was done, she’d come back for Sarah.


She ran as far away from the Hospital as she possibly could, in hope of protecting Sarah more. She went first home, to see what she could salvage, which was nothing. She sighed, not knowing that she was actually kind of glad there wasn’t anything to salvage. Then she went to her friend, Ayesha’s home. The house was similar to the Elizabeth’s, but it was a wee smaller. Elizabeth liked Ayesha’s house much better because of that fact. Even though she was a witch, Elizabeth didn’t like to clean. She couldn’t very well do a cleaning charm without much effort, unlike her parents, or for that matter, any other witch. In fact, Elizabeth tried very hard to hide the fact of her possession of magic.  Her parents tried to break her of that habit, but she couldn’t do the simple, everyday things. Somehow, though, she was very much able to produce much harder charms at ease. That never added up to her parents. Eventually, they quit trying to change her habits, and encouraged her, to which, she was unequivicanly gland about. 

 



© 2011 Some Random Person.


Author's Note

Some Random Person.
So, this is the first chapter. What do you think about it? This story is on hold until I finish Wish Upon A Star, but I'll add onto this story every now and then. What do you think is going to happen?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very strong chapter. I like the character and the history in the story. I like the description and the situations. You have opportunity to do many things with this story. You create a interesting and dangerous world. I look forward to reading more. A excellent opening chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked it:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Elizabeth was in her study,(no comma is needed here) crying, longing for her father, Samuel." "Hermione was a kind woman.(,) Or as Samuel called her, “Sweet, with sugar on top.”" "The windows banged as the stringy fast lightning soured (soared) through the sky." "It was almost like a desert, this place was.(,) Both in population and in climate." "Windy enough that if a person wasn’t careful enough, the wind could sour(I'd use shoot, instead of soar) them into the sky" "The war outside was like Britain in the Second World War(.) Bombs flying everywhere, children and grownups alike screaming for mercy." "She looked around further. She then noticed the orphaned babies, wondering about Sarah, she looked farther." That's redundant. "Her rebelious(rebellious) mind kept saying it had to be him" "The same would’ve happened to Elizabeth,(no comma) had Swhirl never come into the military." "He(lowercase) decided that he could run the country" "The country did have (an1Overall) Minister"

I'd find a way to separate her thoughts directed towards her family from the narrative. using italics or something.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 16, 2011
Last Updated on April 16, 2011


Author

Some Random Person.
Some Random Person.

Ravenclaw House, The Library, Messaline, Midnight, colonizing the New Earth, TX



About
So if all of ya'll will help me pay for college, that'd be great... http://www.gofundme.com/jhx73o For all you Doctor Who obsessing people... Don't say I hate you. But I do hate those Dale.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..