The Losers

The Losers

A Story by CT
"

A short monologue about what its like to be rejected by those around you in high school.

"
High School Musical is bullshit. I mean, come on, let's face it, people; everyone is going to come together and start singing in the gym a few days after hell freezes over.
American pop culture seems to have this seriously screwy romanticized view of The Wonderful World of Teenage Life. It's nothing but crap. Maybe not for the "normal" kids (is there really any such thing as "normal"? I think not), the ones who just sit and laugh and talk about sports and sex and don't give a s**t about who they step on, but for kids like me, it starts to make Nazi Germany look good.
Who are "kids like me"? Well, let me put it this way:
The only thing that the media really gets right about school is the whole clique thing. Preppies, skater dudes, band geeks, crackheads… they're all there, those and more, only aware of life inside their tight little groups, oblivious or uncaring of how life really is. To them, school is one big social hour. Look out world, here they come, ready to rip and uncaring who they hurt as they do so.
You walk into the crowded, noisy cafeteria, your tray housing whatever s**t the Secret Society of Lunch Ladies has cooked up today, and it's just frickin' nuts.
Everyone at one table will be dressed in shiny numbered jerseys, well-muscled, handsome, a few with their arm around some über-sexy chick with the approximate intelligence quotient of a walnut. Girls will be scattered across the room in little clumps, each individual subculture easily identifiable by their choice of clothing. In the corner you might see a table with a couple of nerds sitting around, talking about vectors or calculus or whatever the hell it is they talk about. They're at the bottom of the popularity spectrum, but they don't really care.
And then there's the losers. They're the ones over there, in the corner, somehow together and apart at the same time. Sort of talking, fidgeting. They don't all feel quite comfortable with each other, yet they don't feel comfortable with anyone else, either. They're kind of a mumble jumble, thrown together from whatever scraps are left over from the other groups. Kind of like chop suey, I guess.
These guys are the ones that will either turn out to be super successful in life or will burn out before they're twenty, dropping out, living in some filthy trailer park, a marijuana joint in one hand and a Bud Light in the other. They're the ones that almost everybody ignores; that nobody takes the time to get to know. They're the ones that have been pushed and kicked and rejected all their lives. Society tells them they're nothing but s**t, and after a while, they begin to believe it themselves.
Welcome to my life.

© 2011 CT


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'M KIND OF PISSED...that this had six fews and didn't get a review!! I mean this shizz is so true. you described everything perfectly. I was glued by the first sentence because it was really good and made me laugh. hell, this whole Story made me laugh, but it was serious at the same time. I like how it held me and gave me a message. well not exactly me a message because I already know this stuff but....it's so relatiable, it's crazy

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really liked how you worded this! It was inspiring.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wayyy true. Except, as far as lunch tables go, mine has like four band geeks, a football player, and me, the book-worm and Doctor Who fanatic. But seriously I can totally relate to this story. Everything is amazingly correct. I just....wow. Yeah. Perfect description. No other way to put it dude.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haha This is the best thing I've read in a while, and the most realistic about what high school life is/was/will always be like. Whoever said it's the best years of your life must've won the lottery in high school then died right before graduation.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

". . .über-sexy chick with the approximate intelligence quotient of a walnut."
that was my favourite line of the whole story. I laughed really hard. the story itself was incredible, and i loved the real meaning in the whole piece. amazing job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

just found this....well written... and thought provoking. How true about high school. it was years ago for this old guy (58yrs) but that time burned into me nearly PTSD style crappola.
i was at the invisible table. shrunk against the wall, you probably missed me folks. all i ever did was run.(out of fear) ran three miles home, ran back to school.wearinf my sears roebuck wingtip shoes...ran everywhere like my legs were a bicycle. it was very odd behavior back then in the early 60's.

then the track coach "discovered" me i ended up new england champ and all that. but i was still invisible, oh i remember.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It painted not only high-school, but even after!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You painted high school correctly, it is a place meant to brainwash us all, and it works for most people as they make acceptable choices...but for those who don't like the choices they see before them there isn't much to do about it, and even most of those ones get eaten alive by society's machine. Too bad we aren't free to learn what our heart desires...too bad we aren't as free as what they tell us in the school books....this is a great story, it has given me something to think about.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I think this is a great write and vent! High school days are beyond me lol But I can remember such things...mainstream media will pump bilge into everything they can! Its part of the mind control for society....any alternative views are condemned or pinned underneath "insanity" or "its wrong to think differently"...
Powerful piece!
xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

601 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011

Author

CT
CT

Somewhere Within The Confines of a Dismal Reality, MI



About
Just another traveler on the ever-winding road of Life... more..

Writing
Duality Duality

A Story by CT


11:43 AM 11:43 AM

A Chapter by CT



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fly On The Wall Fly On The Wall

A Poem by emma