The List 81-85

The List 81-85

A Story by Meaghan M
"

Pen and Paper, Can You Hear Me?, Heal, Out Cold, Spiral

"

#81 Pen and Paper

            King Michael took his daughter's hand.

            "Isabella Parker, my daughter." he said as an introduction. "Bella, this is Alejandro Cortez, the King of Spain, and his youngest son, Javier, Prince of Sprain."

            They exchanged formalities and Bella was dismissed.

            "What do you think, Alejandro?"

            They King of Spain nodded.

            "She's very pretty." he said, satisfied.

            Meanwhile, Bella walked outside to the rose garden where mother, Queen Kaitlyn, was.

            "Mom?"

            Kaitlyn turn around.

            "Well, you looked determined." she said, a little concerned about the expression on her daughter's face. "What going on?"

            "Why is the King of Spain here? And why did dad make it a point to introduce me to him and his son?"

            "Your father didn't tell you?"

            "Dad didn't tell her about Spain?"

            Bella turned around to find her younger brother, Daniel.

            "Yell me what about Spain?" she asked, and turned back to her mother. "What's going on, mom?"

            "What's going on his your father just signed the papers sealing the Spanish-American alliance." the King announced triumphantly, coming down the path to the rose garden.

            "Michael, did you speak to Bella about this?' the queen asked.

            "That's what I'm going to do now."

            "You didn't tell her before you signed the alliance?" she scolded.

            "I'm telling her now."

            "Well, it would have been nice to let her know what's going on before you signed the marriage treaty."

            Bella's eyes went wide.

            "Marriage treaty?" she yelled.

            "I haven't signed it yet-"

            "What marriage treaty, dad?"

            No one spoke for a moment.

            "Daniel, why don't you and I take a walk?" the queen said, and departed with her son.

            Bella had turned red with frustration by this point.

            "In honor of this new alliance-" the king started.

            "You're marrying my off to one of the Spanish princes." she snapped.

            Michael nodded.

            "And if I refuse?"

            "Then I'll look like an idiot." he sighed.

            Bella bit her tongue, clenching her fists.

            "So you've basically taken your pen and paper, and signed my life away."

            "Bella-"

            "Your majesty." she interrupted.

            Bella quickly bowed and left in a hurry. King Michael could hear his daughter begin to curse loudly as soon as she was out of sight.

 

 

#82 Can You Hear Me?

            Tikki stood at the edge of the ravine, fresh tears streaming down her face. The night sky was darker than usual, the stars covered by gray clouds.

            "I need to see my father." she whispered, holding back the urge to cry hysterically again.

            A gust of wind blew, but she got no answer. She clenched her fists tight.

            "I need to see my father." she repeated, this time louder.

            This was the spot she had seen her father four years ago. They had sent him to her then, she needed them to send him again. And even though in the back of her head she knew it hadn't been real, she needed the hallucination again nonetheless.

            Nothing.

            "I need to see my father again." she shouted to the heavens. "Can you hear me? I need to see my father."

            She waited for the gods to do something, anything, but nothing came. She knew there was no real reason for them to listen to her of all people. It made her feel better to blame an outside force, though.

            Last time, her father had come to her when she was dangling from the ledge below. In a moment of complete stupidity, she thought that would work again. From behind, Kenny ran up to her and threw his arms around his sister just before she jumped. Tikki struggled, but Kenny was able to hold her back.

            "Let go." she cried, still struggling.

            "Are you crazy?"

            "Let go."

            Kenny tightened his grip.

            "Stop it, Tik." he demanded.

            "I have to see him again. Let me go."

            "It was a hallucination, Tik." he yelled.

            "I don't care."

            "Tikki, enough."

            Kenny fell back, taking Tikki along with him. She stopped struggling, crying loudly. He still held onto her tight.

            "I need to see him, Kenny." she cried.

            Kenny let her cry.

            "Me too, Tik." he said softly.

            She calmed down slowly, reducing herself from hysterics to sobbing.

            "What am I going to do, Kenny?" she asked. "I don't know what to do."

            He closed his eyes, placing his cheek on the top of Tikki's head.

            "We'll figure something out."

            Kenny held his sister until she fell asleep from exhaustion in his arms. He looked up at the still dark sky.

            It had been four years since they had sent his mother to him. He knew it wasn't real, but he didn't care at his point."

            "We need your help mom." he whispered. "Can you hear me? I need to see my mother."

 

 

#83 Heal

            Caleb unlocked the chain and climbed into the cage. Jynx stayed still, just as she had promised. He put down the water basin and kneeled down in front of her. Taking one of the cloths from his pocket, he soaked it and looked at her.

            "You gave me your word, right?"

            Jynx merely nodded. Caleb rung out the extra water and took her wrists. The chains around them sounded when she moved. Despite the fact that she had only been caught a few hours ago, she had obviously done a great deal of struggling considering how had her wrists looked.

            "You'll have to stop trying to get these off, otherwise you'll wind up ripping the skin clear off." he advised, examining the damage.

            When he dabbed the wet cloth on her skin, she snatched her wrists back and growled.

            "You honestly thought it wasn't going to hurt?"       

            Reluctantly, she outstretched her wrists again. When he dabbed her skin again, she flinched but kept her wrists where they were. He kept his eyes on her wrists.

            "So, how did he catch you anyway? Don't you have... senses considering you're a Norothein?"

            He looked up to see her looking at him weird.

            "What?"

            "You called me a Norothein." she said in a low tone, almost a whisper.

            "That's what you are." he said, looking back at her wrists quickly.

            The two remained silent as he finished cleaning the wounds. He didn't exactly say goodbye, but rather just stared at her for a moment then left. He placed the basin on the ground and went to lock the chain. As he turned the lock, Jynx caught a glimpse of a scar on the palm of his left hand. He turned to leave and she jumped to her feet. The chain around wrists allowed her to reach the cage door.

            "Kelik?"

            Caleb stopped, keeping his back to her. He blinked a few times, trying to remember why that sounded so familiar. It was weird, like trying to remember a childhood dream. He shook his head and ignored the feeling. He went back inside, leaving Jynx alone was again.

            It was impossible. He would have smelled the same if he truly was her brother. There was something odd about his scent though.

            She stepped away from the door and sat back down at the back of the cage. She looked down at her wrists. She did feel better. The chain rattled again as she brought her left hand to eye level and looked at her palm. She traced a line where Kelik's scar had been.

            "Not possible..." she told herself, though she really only half believed what she had said.

 

 

#84 Out Cold

            Hector dropped a few coins in Father D'Angelo's hand. The priest bowed his head.

            "My master, I do not wish to question your orders, but I do not know how much longer we can do this."

            "And why is that, Father?"

            "I have heard reports from some of the others. There have been questions about Brendan." Father D'Angelo answered.

            Hector crossed his arms and began walking down the aisle of the church toward the alter. Father D'Angelo followed, remaining a few steps behind.

            "It's imperative that my daughter and her friends never find Brendan. You and the others are well aware of this as well as the consequences if they're reunited, which is why my brothers and I have put our trust in you."

            He stopped when he reached a door at the back of the church.

            "We wouldn't have put all that faith in you if we thought you were close to failure."

            "Yes, my master." Father D'Angelo bowed his head again.

            Hector ignored his gesture and opened the door. Inside the room was a bookcase. Behind the bookcase was a flight of stairs which led to an underground chamber. In that chamber was a bed, and on that bed was Brendan.

            Hector stood over the bed while Father D'Angelo stayed in the doorway.

            "How are the new mixtures working?" Hector asked, staring at Brendan.

            Father D'Angelo cleared his throat.

            "He's nearly constantly asleep, my master."

            Brendan looked more like he was in a coma rather than sleeping. Hector sighed.

            "They mustn't find him, Father. And they mustn't find out that you're receiving assistance from me and my brothers. Technically it's against the rules."

            Father D'Angelo bowed his head once again.

            "Have you secured another location for him yet?"

            "Yes, my master."

            "Good."

            Brendan moaned in his sleep, his left hand twitching a bit. Hector headed for the door.

            "I want him moved before the week is up." he said quickly and made his way to the staircase.

            Father D'Angelo looked over at Brendan. The young man moaned again. He would need another dose soon. Keeping his eyes on the boy as long as possible, Father D'Angelo closed the door and bolted it.

            Brendan's nightmare continued, causing him to moan most of the night. In the morning, he was given a stronger dosage of the new mixture.

 

 

#85 Spiral

            Nexis unsheathed a long sword. He gripped it tightly, watching Jynx take off her robe and toss it to the ground.

            "May I say something before we begin?"

            He nodded and Jynx crouched down low to the ground. A low growl formed in the back of her throat. He stopped moving.

            "Your daughter is alive."

            With that, she released a great roar and Nexis charged at her.

            Back in the village, Sophie closed the door to her daughter's bedroom. The sun had already started to set, lighting the sky on fire. She opened the front door of the house and leaned against the frame. Crossing her arms, she stood and waited.

            She and Akyra were damned no matter who came back. If Nexis returned, Akyra would always hate him for killing her friend, and she would never be able to look at him again for doing such a thing to the person who save her daughter's life. If Jynx returned, she would be without a husband and Akyra would grow up without a father. It was not fair to either of them. Nonetheless, it had happened and all she could do was wait for the winner.

            An hour passed and a figure walked down the village road to the house. Sophie straightened up and cleared her throat. Once the figure reached the tree that stood in front of the house, Sophie watched as Jynx lowered her hood and removed her robe completely.

            Jynx dropped the robe and stood before Sophie. She dared not look the woman in the eyes. Her hands were shaking tremendously, causing the blood on them to drip from her skin onto the ground.

            "I'm sorry." she managed to squeeze out.

            Sophie reached up and wiped the specs of blood on Jynx's cheek with her fingers. She could not tell where Jynx's blood stopped and Nexis's blood began. She kept her hand on the young woman's cheek.

            "I don't blame you." she whispered.

            Jynx chocked back a wave of heavy tears. Sophie placed her free hand on the other cheek.

            "I do not blame you." she repeated.

            "Mommy?" Akyra called from her room.

            Sophie looked at Jynx a moment longer before turning around.

            "I'm at the front door, baby." she called back, biting back the urge to cry.

            She turned back around.

            "Please don't tell-"

            She stopped when she realized Jynx was gone.

            "Mommy?"

            Sophie didn't allow herself to cry; she couldn't. Not just because of Akyra, but because it was not her husband she wanted to cry for.

© 2010 Meaghan M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
Added on October 8, 2010
Last Updated on October 8, 2010

Author

Meaghan M
Meaghan M

NY



About
Meaghan, spelt with as many letters as you can cram into the name. 22, Long Island. I'm a writer, it's what I do. more..

Writing
RoRrim RoRrim

A Story by Meaghan M