The List 86-90

The List 86-90

A Story by Meaghan M
"

Seeing Red, Food, Pain, Through the Fire, Triangle

"

#86 Seeing Red

            Lot flung his coat on the chair and made his way toward the balcony. But before he could step outside, he heard his name shouted from the staircase. A moment later, Eiyana kicked the door open and stormed in. Lot crossed his arms and smiled that demon-like grin of his.

            "Good evening, Eiyana. What brings you were, my love?"

            "You killed him." she growled.

            Blood dripped from her arms. There was some on her bare stomach, splatters on her pants, and smear of it on her face.

            "What are-?"

            "You killed him." she repeated, this time louder.

            Clearing his throat, Lot walked around Eiyana and closed the door.

            "I didn't touch him." he said calmly.

            "You had him killed then." she snapped.

            He stood behind him.

            "Do you expect me to deny that?"

            He placed his hand on her shoulder, but she quickly shrugged him off and took a few steps forward.

            "So, what? You had a brief moment of jealousy or was this just to punish me for the hell of it?"

            "A little of both." he grinned.

            Eiyana turned around, only angered more by his answer. she unsheathed one of her short swords and placed the tip under Lot's chin.

            "Tell me why I shouldn't kill you right now." she growled.

            Sighing in annoyance, he put a finger under the blade.

            "You can't kill me, Eiyana. You would have done it already."

            She pushed the tip harder against his skin, causing blood to drip down his throat. As his annoyance turned into anger. he shoved the sword away. His hand flew through the air and collided with Eiyana's cheek. She dropped the sword at the sudden blow. When she looked back, Lot was already unbuttoning his shirt. She launched herself forwards, locking her lips with his.

            Lot threw off his shirt and gripped both her arms. Breaking the kiss, he flung her onto the bed.

            Cain's blood was still fresh on her skin, but that did not matter. This was exactly what he wanted out of her. The sex was always so much better when she was mad at him. And to find her latest lover slain in her bed was enough to make her plenty anger.

            In the morning, her entire body ached and she was covered in dry blood. But despite all that, Eiyana had enjoyed every moment.

            She would deal with the blood later.

 

 

#87 Food

            PJ looked up from his meal when a new scent hit him. He glanced up into a tree and saw Izzy sitting on one of the branches. A low growl formed in the back of his throat. Blood dripped from his mouth as she showed her his teeth.

            "Oh calm down, Fido." she said, and jumped down from the tree.

            He snapped his teeth at her as she started to move toward him. In response, she growled back and bore her fangs. PJ allowed the hair on his back to lower. Once he seemed like he wasn't going to pounce at any moment, she put her fangs away and grinned.

            "Did you think I was going to steal your food or something." she snickered.

            He growled again and returned his attention to his food.

            "Your kind has been known to pull that sort of s**t before."

            Izzy always found it interesting how the three races could be so different yet still possess such a connection that enabled  telepathy. She walked around to face him.

            "Trust me," she took a whiff of the dead animal PJ was devouring and gave a look of disgust, "I can find better."

            He growled again, snapping his head back up to look at her.

            "Arrogance was always the downfall of your kind."

            "Oh, don't used that tone with me. We're the same age so how would you know." she scolded. "You're probably younger come to think of it."

            As before, he let her comment roll off his shoulder. Finished with the last scrap of meat on the animal, he tossed it into the bushes. He glared over at Izzy.

            "Do you mind?"

            Sighing in annoyance, she turned her back to him. She gave him a moment before turning back around. No, instead of the beast, stood the young man, pulling on his jeans.

            "Aren't you afraid someone will find the remains?" she asked, crossing her arms.

            "Oh yeah, 'cause the moment someone sees a dead animal in the park, the immediate response is werewolf." she mocked. "Just because it's hard to hide your food-"

            "We don't kill our food." she interrupted.

            PJ snickered, turning away from her.

            "Most of the time."

            Izzy bore her fangs again, only this time making no noise. PJ turned around nonetheless. At that moment, they boy caught the scent of a nearby human.

            "Guess it's my turn now." Izzy grinned.

            PJ made a face and took off through the trees. Izzy put her fangs away and made her way toward dinner.

 

 

#88 Pain

            Joan woke up in the hospital three days later to the sound of the detective's voice. She kept her eyes closed. She wanted to listen to the conversation without any interruptions.

            "Sir, all I'm saying is-"

            The detective was cut off sharply by Joan's father.

            "I know what's best for my daughter."

            The detective's voice got softer and rougher.

            "Your daughter was kidnapped and raped, then left for dead. She's fifteen years old. She doesn't deserve this burden. At least let her have a say in this decision."

            "Don't tell me how to raise my child-"

            "Your child was repeatedly raped for a week and now she's pregnant with her attacker's baby. And you are making her keep it without asking her. Tell me, how it that being a good father?"

            Joan wanted to scream. She felt as if someone had driven a red, hot poker into her chest, and now her lungs were filling with her own blood. She was pregnant. Deep down she knew she was, but it was different hearing it aloud.

            She heard her father demanded the detective to leave. His partner, however, stayed. His voice was a great deal calmer and more gentle.

            "Sir, I know that you and your family are going through a lot right now, but maybe it would be better to ask your daughter about his before  you make a final decision."

            Her eyes were still closed, but she could tell that her father was looking at the detective with a mixture of pity and disgust.

            "Do you believe in God, detective?"

            The detective shook his head. "No."

            "Then you have no idea what my family and I are going through Under no circumstances, no matter what brought it up, God does not give us permission to kill a new life. Abortion is a sin, and I will not allow my daughter to fall from God's grace."

            "Sir, I think-"

            "God does not lead us down a road if he is not guiding us by the hand."

            The detective crossed his arms.         

            "So, God wanted your daughter to be raped?"

            He did not wait for an answer before leaving the room. Joan rolled over on her side, still keeping up the pretense that she was sleeping. Her parents soon left the room as well.

            She placed her hand on her belly and she felt like she wanted to vomit. Rolling over on her stomach, she buried her face in the pillow and screamed.

 

 

#89 Through the Fire

            The dogs barked, tugging on the leashes their masters held.

            "Sir, there are Norotheins here."

            "Of course there are Norotheins here, you idiot. Consider who we're burning."

            Drums rolled and the guards opened the caged cart. Jynx jumped down off the cart. she had been half expecting the crowd to start throwing rotten food at her, but it didn't happen. She scanned the crowd as the guard locked the iron collar around her neck. She thought it very odd when she heard him whisper an apology. When the shackles on her wrists were secured, she was led to the platform.

            Everything felt a little strange. The strangest part wasn't the silence or the fact that everyone in the crowd was wearing a hooded cloak or the smell of at least a dozen Norotheins hiding amongst the humans. No, the strangest part was the fact that she wasn't scared. She had tried to be scared, but she just wasn't. Her life was about to end in a less than painless matter and she couldn't help feeling somewhat calm.

            The shackles around her wrists were removed and she put her back against the wooden stake in the middle of the platform. Bartalk and Dogan's scents reached her as the ropes were tied. she could smell a few others from her pack in the crowd as well. She wished they hadn't come. She found it odd again when both the guards whispered apologies before they walked away.

            Then the fear hit her. Not because the executioner had lit the torch and was walking toward her, but because she suddenly caught not only Toryn's scent but Kelik's as well. She could sense the panic rising in both their guts. Kelik took a step toward the platform, and Jynx snapped and growled. He took another step despite her warning. The entire crowd jumped and took a step back as she let out a terrible roar. He stopped and felt Dogan's hand grip his arm. Bartalk had already taken hold of Toryn.

            Jynx couldn't see her brother's face, and she was glad of it. To have seen his face would have made his difficult. She heard the executioner say something, but distinct words didn't register. She closed her eyes.

            It wasn't the burning that brought on the tears. It was the sound of the howl. Norotheins and humans alike tilted their heads back and let out a howl in tribute. Kelik kept his eyes on his sister as long as he could. But when she started screaming, he had to look away.

            Despite the fact that there were no clouds in the sky that evening, a single crack of thunder sounded. the flames rose high and burned bright, causing the crowd to look away. And when the fire died down, it was over.

            Jynx was gone.

 

 

#90 Triangle

            "What do you mean they're missing?"

            "She went to penance this morning and the two boys went to meet her at the temple afterwards. They haven't come back yet." Dunbar answered.

            "Her penance was over five hours ago."

            Dunbar shrugged his shoulders. Clearly annoyed, Elder Kasten turned away.

            "Those three will be the end of us."

            Meanwhile, in the field near the cliff...

            Kenny tackled Damien. Damien grabbed Tikki's ankle and tripped her as she tried to escape. Tikki fell on top of Kenny. The three wrestled around for a minute before Damien was able to squirm his way out and started running. Tikki and Kenny rolled over on their stomachs and watched their cousin flee.

            "Balls..." they huffed simultaneously.

            Kenny was first to his feet, but was immediately pulled back down by his sister. She bolted after Damien.

            "Coward!" she shouted.

            "I am not!" both the boys shouted.

            Pyro, Ashe, and Luna watched from the sky. Tikki skidded to a stop and stood in front of Damien. Kenny caught up and stood to the side, trying to catch his breath. Tikki placed her hands on her hips and Damien raised his arms in defeat.

            "Oh no, you're not getting out of this that easily." Kenny said, breathing heavily.

            "Getting out of what exactly?"

            the three thought for a moment.

            "I forgot." Tikki admitted. "So what do you want to do now?"

            "We should probably head back." Damien laughed, sitting down and facing the cliff.

            Tikki took a seat beside her cousin and Kenny stood next to her. The three dragons landed and settled down on the grass.

            "Elder Kasten's probably looking for me." Tikki sighed.

            "What is Elder Kasten ever not looking for you, Tik?" her brother laughed.

            "Last one back buys drinks tonight?" Damien suggested.

            It wasn't long before the three scrambled to their feet and it started all over again.

            Back in the village, Elder Kasten started for the temple. He made it half way there before he caught sight of Tikki, Kenny, and Damien.

            "You three!" he yelled.

            None of them stopped, but rather rushed passed him, too concerned with who was buying rounds that night than anything else.

            "Sorry Elder Kasten." Tikki yelled.

            "Watch out." Damien shouted.

            "Umph." Kenny tripped over Elder Kasten. "Curses!" he shouted, rushing to his feet.

            Elder Kasten got to his feet and brushed himself off.

            "You three will be there end of us!"

© 2010 Meaghan M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
Added on October 8, 2010
Last Updated on October 8, 2010

Author

Meaghan M
Meaghan M

NY



About
Meaghan, spelt with as many letters as you can cram into the name. 22, Long Island. I'm a writer, it's what I do. more..

Writing
RoRrim RoRrim

A Story by Meaghan M