A Letter From Pamplona

A Letter From Pamplona

A Story by Dolce_Dragonfly

 

Life with David was pleasant enough. He was an art student, caring and sweet, ever reliable, as the gentle breeze nudging the leaves outside their condominium window; and the sex, well, that had expired in fits and starts over the previous year. She expected love’s wane, even accepted it. However, the emotional vacuum that followed unsettled her, edging her toward indifference. They had become roommates. 

Early that morning, while strolling along the paved avenues, she came, quite by chance, upon a tiny bookstore. The front wall was covered by a brightly colored mural of the running of the bulls. It was very intense, she found herself mesmerized by how life-like it seemed. She could almost feel the vibrations of the coursing bulls through the cold gray streets. She saw the piercing sense of immediate danger, and excitement on a runner's face. She could even smell the sweat of his brow. She wondered if Hemingway could realistically describe this event in “The Sun Also Rises”, the way this artist brilliantly captured it. And though she knew her name grew out of the love her parents shared for this book, she never actually read it. So, she figured why not? In the store, she was meant immediately by a large red sign that read “todos los libros de Hemingway en venta”. Which translates to “all Hemingway books on sale”. She grabbed “The Sun Also Rises” off the second shelf of the display, paid for it, and started on her way. Skimming through the first few pages something happened. She was overcome by sadness, and started sobbing. David was the only person she knew who could have understood the beauty of that mural, and her thoughts about Hemingway; she missed him, and was grieving the loss. She covered her eyes with her palms to stem her tears. She had wanted to tell him about that, too. 

Now, she sits in the café alone. Surrounded by balled up letters, she suffers no illusions of love. She crumples up the half-written letter, the latest attempt, tossing it next to the others. In the courtyard, an old man feeds pigeons, spraying breadcrumbs on the ground. High above, the slender streets where the rooftops meet open sky, a jet contrail forms a cloud. Nothing here seems to matter.
The waiter brings her coffee, setting it down next to her. When he tries to gather up her papers, she stops him, saying, she wants to remember what it’s like to rebuild from the rubble. He smiles and nods.
Finally, she writes a simple note that explains nothing. “With God’s grace, sometimes love’s wane is inexplicable.
Goodbye, David. Pamplona”.

 

© 2008 Dolce_Dragonfly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey you took me there, thank you, nice read!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 17, 2008
Last Updated on February 19, 2008

Author

Dolce_Dragonfly
Dolce_Dragonfly

Jacksonville, FL



About
Introduction- I'm Jessica but, You can all me "Dragonfly" . The First Thing You Should Know About Me... I'm A Political Junkie, Bookworm, Activist, Kind Of Girl. I Tend To Fall In love With Ideals,.. more..

Writing