Working Title - The Library

Working Title - The Library

A Story by Dom Gunn
"

Works in progress © - 2011 First Draft minor correctionz Chapter one

"

Works in progress



© - 2011

First Draft
Chapter one

----------oo0O0oo----------


II was at a library event with several other new authors we were here to promote our new books myself in included. 
My book had attracted attention after a NASA scientists daughter studying for a degree had decided to debunk my rather detailed description of a FTL drive and had failed, in fact her research had shown it would work. NASA had taken over her project and was trying to build  an experimental rig to disprove the fusion core concept. The scientist had tried for a long time to develop fusion and my description of how one worked was just another sci-fi pseudo science that one found in popular sci-fi. 

That was until my FTL drive concept had attracted attention now NASA was spending big bucks  my description was like a school boys description of how a jet engine worked the principles were all correct but lots of gaps if you had known how to make one it would have made perfect sense. 

I was chatting to a rather sweet librarian by the name of Derry we were standing near the long window that ran along the east side if the building looking out over the lake when I noticed the light in the sky above the lake.
Another Passenger jet coming to the airport I supposed! And thought no more about it and carried on talking to Derry about the new book, she asked me how I came up with my world where I had set up my book how the science evolved and why I had gone into such detail when most authors write the characters leaving the science vague. 

Well Derry I said smiling at her rather immodest I thought dress for an event like this it seemed to me It's like the science is a memory to me I just have to write it down as my story is about a scientist making the discoveries and developing the ideas and resistance to some if the inventions. 

Suddenly the room flooded with light. Bright like a camera flash except it was coming from what a had thought an aeroplane on descent. The Halor effect I mumbled have to myself should last about 3 mins  as they change drive systems everybody was staring now looking at the light. It went out and afterglows filled my eyes. Frantic babble filled the room, Derry said what's a Halor effect? to me and how did you predict how long? What just happened?

I didn't answer my eyes were clearing now. And I just pointed out over the lake. 
Slowly descending towards the water a huge shape was visible as we watched it lights snapped on flashing intensely than fading, rotating through a red white spectrum at the front and green-blue at the rear I was reminded of navigation lights. As it closed on the lake the waters seemed to retreat from under it and then it stopped descending sitting over a huge hollow it appeared to have formed in the lake, as we watched the water rose back leaving the craft  floating out in the lake.


© 2011 Dom Gunn


Author's Note

Dom Gunn
This is just a idea it may go somewhere later for now just an idea

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on March 2, 2011
Last Updated on April 26, 2011
Tags: Sci fi Short story

Author

Dom Gunn
Dom Gunn

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
I recently started to write after many abortive attempts always getting bogged down in detail. Discovering Scrivener for windows this year has made all the difference to my ability to write. N.. more..

Writing