The End.

The End.

A Chapter by Domenic Luciani
"

It's been a long journey, but like all good things this one must come to an end . . . or does it?

"

“Enough.”

The booming voice was more than enough to snap Hermes and I to attention. Hades was rising from his thrown and I now realized how tall he really was. As he strode over elegantly, I could’ve have sworn he was as tall as two of me stacked on top of each other. His long robe trailed behind him.

“Nicolas Rider,” he said. “You have made a complete mockery of my Underworld.” I swallowed hard with the feeling he wanted to blast me to bits. “But still �" you did manage to get rid of that traitor, and I thank you for that.” His black eyes seemed to soften a little. I breathed a sigh of relief. He wasn’t going to blast me to bits after all.

“I admit, I was a fool,” Hades continued. “I supposed centuries of sitting on my throne and growing dull had left me unable to foresee how . . . unbalanced Chiron had become. Maybe I should’ve given him that vacation to Italy he’d wanted to go on for decades . . . oh well. I’m sure our good friend Mr. Hermes would’ve been more than happy to take his place for a bit.”

Hermes smiled weakly, but backed away.

“Back on track here, there is the matter of what to do now. Chiron is not in the Underworld anymore. I would be able to feel his presence. Coincidentally �" Mr. Rider �" your friend . . . Grayson, I believe? �" is no longer amongst the dead, either.”

I wasn’t sure whether to be happy or sad at this news.

“The arenas that hosted the games will be destroyed �" there’s no doubt about that.”

Daedalus groaned sadly. He mumbled, “My best work . . . destroyed . . .”

“Stop whining Daedalus,” Hades said, swiveling his head around. “You’ll have time to do your work another time. I believe Erebus’ city is in need of some remodeling.”

At this, Daedalus’ expression brightened considerably.

“Hermes,” he said, turning back. Hermes’ back straightened as his name was called. I guessed that, even though they were both gods, Hades ranked higher on the list than Hermes. “I don’t suppose ‘sorry’ would make up for lost time.”

“No, but �"” Hermes glanced down at me then leaned in close to whisper to Hades so that I couldn’t hear.

“Of course,” Hades said, pulling away. Then my heart began to beat wildly as he turned his gaze back to me. “And now there’s the matter of what to do with you. I’m sorry to say that you have officially been declared dead, and you can no longer return to the world of the living.” My heart sunk a little, but then Hades mouth formed a slight smile. “Without my permission, of course.”

I looked back up at him, my eyes full of hope.

“However, there will be very strict rules on your visits. You will have twelve hours a year to see them, and only see them. You may not contact them. Meanwhile . . . I believe you have certainly proved yourself to be a hero, and as such, you will be granted entry to the Elysium. Enjoy your stay. I believe there’s a surprise or two waiting there for you as well,” Hades winked.

My mouth fell open. I wanted to say thank you, but I ended up nodding my head quickly like an idiot instead.

For the next few hours, Hermes and Hades discussed what would come of the Underworld, because apparently it had changed a lot since Chiron had decided to use it as his personal playground.

The hotel would be demolished along with all of the various arenas and Chiron’s citadel. The Fields of Asphodel would soon begin to grow flowers again, and Erebus’ city would be completely remodeled (much to Daedalus’ pleasure).  The next concern would be who would be the ferryman. Hermes was the first to back out. He didn’t want any part of it that river. Hades had slumped back in his chair, deep in thought.

“I think I may know someone �" a Cyclops by the name of Jalis. You may have met him, at some point,” Hades said to me. I nodded. Yes, I was all too familiar with Jalis, the insane sword-swinging Cyclops that had tried to crush both Avra and I in the second challenge. “Though, I’ll have to find him. I believe Chiron discarded him somewhere in Tartarus.”

Hades talked to Hermes and Daedalus about elements of the Underworld that I hadn’t even known about and couldn’t make any sense of anyway, so I sat in a corner of the room and waited the discussion to end.

I had almost started to doze off when Hades finally clapped his hands together and said, “Well, I believe that’s enough for now. Hermes, would you mind escorting the young lad to his final resting place. I hope you can manage one more trip.”

“I believe I could.”

“Good, well then, it’s settled �" Nicolas,” Hades said, turning to me. “Follow Hermes to the boat. I understand that it would be much faster to just send you to Elysium through a doorway, but it’s rather against tradition.”

I nodded. Honestly, I couldn’t care less about how I got there, but I was anxious to find out what it was really like.

Hermes bowed to Hades, and I did the same. Hades nodded back, then turned his back and began conversing with Daedalus�"something about monsters and a hole in Tartarus. I didn’t have long to listen, for soon Hermes was escorting me out the door.

We walked out together, Hermes and I. No doorways, no instant teleporting, just a brisk walk down fifty flights of stairs and a few miles worth of corridors. Hermes was pretty much silent the entire trip, but he seemed quite happy with the outcome of everything.

“Hermes?” I asked, deciding to pluck up the courage to start a conversation �" anything would be better than this awkward silence.

“Yes?”

“What was the deal you made with Hades?”

Hermes sighed. It was a long, drawn out sigh. “Well, I guess you’re actions warrant an explanation of mine. You see, Nicolas. I had a daughter. It’s fairly common for gods to have children with mortals, but the practice has . . . lost support amongst even our own. I am a messenger for the gods, Nicolas. I hardly have time to do anything for myself these days, so when I fell in love, and had a child, I felt rather blessed. She was adorable and I loved more than anything, but she fell ill. I stayed with her for three years until she finally passed away, and then I was heartbroken. I heard of the games taking place in the Underworld �" yes, word spread quite quickly once Hades strength faded and almost all access to the Underworld was barred �" and I was terrified that my dear daughter would become mixed up in all these events. So, I made a deal with Chiron, the master of the games at the time. I bargained my services in exchange for my daughter’s safe passage through the River Styx.”

“Bet you ended up staying on longer than you thought, huh?” I said.

Hermes stopped walking in the middle of a lonely room. There were large windows here, and I could see the sun had finally risen in the Underworld. The sea beyond was glittering from its rays.

“I was blinded by love, Nicolas. I would have done anything for my daughter, given anything for her protection. I saw my chance and took it. I hadn’t even thought of Hades, or that the other god’s connection to the Underworld was nearly terminated. I didn’t even fully understand that my daughter wouldn’t have been picked for the games anyway, because �"”

“Because you need to have died for only a few seconds, but still be alive,” I said, thinking of Chiron’s words.

“Indeed,” Hermes said frowning. “But it wasn’t all bad. I met quite a few interesting characters, such as yourself. Though I admit I thought you were more of a troublemaker the first time I saw you. But then again, maybe a troublemaker was exactly what the Underworld needed.”

I couldn’t help but grin a little bit. Hermes smiled as well and resumed walking.

“I did enjoy slang, as well. But I’m a professional now, and I must speak like one, too.”

“Bet you’ll miss calling me ‘Kid’, right?” I said.

Hermes glanced down at me quickly. “Yeah, I guess I will, kid.” He said, allowing the familiar grit to invade his voice ruffled my hair a little then sighed. “We may see each other again, after today.”

I looked up at Hermes curiously, but he kept his dreamy gaze forward, so I let it be.

When we finally came to the grand foyer of Hades’ palace, I realized how quiet it had become. For the past few days, I had gotten used to being jumpy and alert, ready to fight some monster or think of a plan to save myself and everyone else. Now, everything was calm.

We left Hades’ palace and stepped onto a beach. It was rather annoying how the landscape kept changing, but at least the walk to the boat was a little easier.

Hermes got in first, taking up the oar and muttering something about being thankful it was his last time. When I got in, I shared the sentiment. It would be nice to never have to go on the boat again, in fact, I didn’t care if I ever stepped foot on another boat, ever again.

With one final lurch, Hermes pushed away from the sand and we were headed off, for what I hoped would be the absolute last time, across the River Styx.

When Hades had said that changes would be made in the Underworld, I had no idea how fast it would all work. We passed by Chiron’s citadel, which began dissolving into dust. Parts of it fell off and tumbled into the sea and shot up sprays off water. For some reason, it really felt like the end.

We passed along Erebus’ city and to my amazement; all of the horrible spire-looking buildings had become actual buildings, with glistening obsidian that twinkled warmly in the sunlight. The people that crowded its shore were no longer the hideous ghosts that had haunted it previously, but they had faces full of happiness . . . and skin, which was a big improvement.  They were also wearing clean white tunics. I glanced down at the leather that had been worn down and dirtied. Part of the left shoulder was shredding to white flecks.

The people of the city gathered to the very edges and stared out at me. They recognized me, and began to wave and shout. Not a few of them or even half of them�" every last one was cheering for me. I smiled and waved back, feeling a bit like royalty. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d felt this good, even while I was alive. It was a pretty awesome sight, and it followed me the miles and miles until the last edges and rocks, slippery from water, came into view. People ran to catch up and crowded as close to see as they could without falling in, and by then, my hand had grown tired from the amount of waving. I think my smile was permanent, though.

Farther out to sea, where the waves should have been enormous �" they weren’t. For as far as the eye could see, the black water was so smooth, it hardly looked to be water at all. I felt like I could jump out of the boat and I would be standing on a big black mirror. I told this to Hermes and he laughed heartily to himself.

After a while though, I had to ask: “Where are we going?”

Hermes looked back between strokes and said, “You’ll just have to wait and see. But don’t worry �" your adventure is almost over . . . at least for now anyway. I expect you’ll miss the excitement?”

“Not really,” I said, but then I muttered under my breath: “Well, maybe just a little.”

After that, Hermes wouldn’t answer my questions, and every time I asked them, he would simply look back and wink at me. Apparently he wanted everything to be a big surprise, so I decided to sit there and keep quiet and try not to let curiosity get the better of me.

I gasped when, at last, we came to the place that Hermes had set off for.

In the middle of the water, two spires rose and formed an archway, much like the ones that had marked the entrance to the Fields of Asphodel; only these spires were much, much larger. There was nothing else in sight, no rocks or islands, nothing except for a few clouds that drifted by lazily on their journey through the orange light of the setting sun.

When we reached the spires, I had to crane my neck to look up at them, they were so tall. Also, they weren’t ruff and crudely cut from stone, but smooth and detailed with carvings. The dying sunlight caught every last detail and filled them all up with warmth. I sighed in a strange sort of content.

My heart barely sank as I realized this would be the final leg of the journey, but it did a little.

We passed through the gate as I was staring upwards at the small point where the two spires met, and I was startled slightly when the orange sky became darker, but remained orange. Looking around, it looked like I had stepped into a fantasy painting. The sky was a mix of deep oranges and reds, yellows and gold. We were passing between two thin isles where it seemed millions of people, even more than had seen me off at Erebus’ city, were crowded around and clapping proudly. They were all slightly transparent, which allowed me to see how remarkably far back the crowd went.

“This is the Hero’s Passage, Nicolas. Everyone whose existence a hero changed for the better gather at this shore. It’s the final parting gift for a hero �" for you. You saved the Underworld and therefore you changed everyone in it for the better.”

   A tear welled up in my eye and I had to wipe it away quickly.

Up ahead, a light was shining, even more brilliant than the sun. For a split second as we entered beyond the veil, I could have sworn that the boat was floating among a sea of clouds all puffy like orange cotton candy. Then, as things began to solidify, I realized it was only the reflection of the wall of mist in front of us. Hermes had stopped paddling and we were now drifting lazily into the wall.

As we entered, I noticed the smell of the air, so pure it was like breathing in life itself. Then, the boat bumped against something solid, very lightly. I looked past Hermes to the simple wooden door that stood, alone, at the end of a winding stairway that curved smoothly up to it. The door itself seemed to hang in the air, and there was no wall and no room for it to lead to.

“Well, this is your stop,” Hermes said, stepping onto the first step and helping me next to him.

“You can’t go in?” I asked, suddenly feeling a little sad.

“Oh �" no, no �" it’s not my place. No, you go on ahead.” Hermes said wistfully.

“And what about your daughter?”

“Pardon?”

“You know, about your daughter. Didn’t you ask Hades if she could go to Elysium?”

Hermes paused for a good long while, apparently not sure how to answer, but eventually he started to laugh knowingly and returned to the boat.

“Farewell, Nicolas Rider, Savior of the Underworld, or else, victim.” Hermes began to row away from the staircase. “May we meet again,” he called back with a wave, just before disappearing into the mist.

I waved to him, even though he had gone and wouldn’t see me. Before I started to turn back, I had a thought, and I knew for some reason that I really would see him again. Meanwhile, the doorway remained still in the face of our goodbyes, as if feeling its own remorse that it was all over.  

The stairs were a long climb, but I didn’t really mind. It gave me a chance to wonder what was beyond the door, and when I finally got to it, I turned the knob delicately and pushed it open so lightly that all I could see at first was a crack of brilliant light. Then that crack grew until I was staring into a full blast of sunlight.

Even before my eyes adjusted, I could hear the sound of rolling waves and the light smell of warmth and salt in the air. Then, there it was. The water was crystal blue and washed up on a beach of the purest, whitest sand I had ever seen. Cliffs rose up far along it and caught some of the light, throwing an enormous shadow across the sand. Back, further up the beach, the world itself seemed to open up into a green slope of grass that would come barely past my ankles. Trees thick with leaves sat even further behind them.

Everything was cast in a beautiful twilight, even the girl with flowing dark hair and emerald green eyes. I had to stop my mouth from dropping open. Avra was standing knee-deep in the blue water, just gazing out at the open ocean. A rainbow could be seen rising out of the waters, its colors, brighter and clearer than any I had ever seen. She glanced back at me and smiled for a moment before resuming her gaze.

            I walked out until I was deep in the water too. For the first time, I noticed my clothes had changed back into a tunic, only this one was embroidered with gold that shimmered brightly in the sunlight. The water was perfectly warm as I waded over to Avra.

“So,” I said. “Grayson is alive.”

“Yeah, I know,” She responded. Her voice sounded so peaceful, but there was the slightest sound of a crack in it. Suddenly, she turned and embraced me in a giant hug, burying her face in my shirt. I wrapped my arms around her, not really knowing what else to do.

“I told you Elysium was a beach,” she said. Her voice was muffled through my shirt and through her tears, but I could swear there was a hint of a laugh in there. She pulled away from me, wiping her eyes. I put my hand to her cheek and wiped a stray tear off her chin. My heart started to beat wildly as she closed her eyes and started to lean in towards me. I licked my lips; feeling rather embarrassed even though there wasn’t a single being in the world besides the two of us. I closed my eyes and started to lean in as well, and then, we were kissing.

I would have a half a day every year to see my family, and then I got to be with Avra the other three hundred and sixty five full days. All in all, I’d say that’s pretty good turn out to the complete insanity my death turned out to be.

I looked out to sea, and Avra followed my gaze. For some reason, I couldn’t help feeling that out adventure wasn’t over. After all, stories like mine aren’t ones to end so easily.



© 2010 Domenic Luciani


Author's Note

Domenic Luciani
I hope you enjoyed my book. As the title suggests, this is it. In the movie, the door to Elysium would shut on this beautiful scene and fade into nothingness, as "The End" flashes across the screen.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Absolutely brilliant story :) I thought it was perfect . I really enjoyed reading it, its actually one of the best books i've ever read on this sight. I'd love to see more about this story or more like these. you really have a talent.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very awesome book, I read all chapters of it. Please publish this book or write a screenplay, so it can turn into one epic fantasy movie.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Don't know if I would use THE END, sort of cliche. Too cliche for a piece as you have written. Don't spit in this works face, it is way too nice a piece for that. And I like how you have us set up for a sequel. Could be very interesting. Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A great read! I really really enjoyed this. You worked hard on this and it turned out wonderful. Awesome!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice. I applaude you in finishing an actual book!!!
A wonderful read to be sure. Let me know when it's published*

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yeah, editing goes without saying, but this was a great book. I loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, what an epic. A real undertaking. Surely, you will do some editing, reducing wordiness, expanding, etc. Anyway, I salute your dedication and imagination. I am sure we will talk some more:)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

547 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 1, 2010
Last Updated on June 1, 2010


Author

Domenic Luciani
Domenic Luciani

Buffalo, NY



About
That is my real name, and that is really me in the picture. Like Patrick says, I'm not in the witness protection program. I mostly write books and stories. I like fantasy, or fiction, but if.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Domenic Luciani


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Domenic Luciani



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Handicap Handicap

A Poem by Manda