My Nightmare Job

My Nightmare Job

A Story by Donna
"

This a true story that happened to me at work.

"

This takes place many years ago in San Jose, California. I had been working at a restaurant for 3 years, it happened to be on a side of town that wasn't the best.


I really liked my job and serving people, I got to know some of my regular customers. I worked the graveyard shift, 10pm-6am. During the week was really slow and boring, but Friday & Saturday are so busy all night.


The part of San Jose I worked in was mostly Vietnamese, and they had some gangs. I would say 99% of my customers were Vietnamese. They would come in large groups, and all of them very polite, and they tip good.


I see the same customers every weekend, so I get to know them. One young man, whenever he came in, he made a point to say hi to me and make small talk.


One Friday night, it was just non stop customers, we had a long waiting list. People were hanging out in the front and some outside.

The one young man who always talks to me got my attention. He said, "Hey, how are you doing tonight? You are really busy. I am on the waiting list, but I am going to run to my car and get something, I will be right back," I told him, "No problem."


I noticed the crowd of people standing in front of me waiting, I saw a young couple, and the guy was dressed all in white, and his girlfriend had on a black skirt with a white blouse, they were standing arm and arm.


I went to seat some people, when I walked back to the front, the guy who said he was going to his car, walked back in, he smiled at me and then walked up to the guy dressed in white, put a gun to his head and shot him. Everybody drops to the ground, and I hear screaming, and he continues to shoot everywhere. He then ran out.


I think I was the only one who didn't get down. I was just frozen. The guy is laying in his own blood and his girlfriend screaming, most everyone ran out and left. The police got there and made it a crime scene, so we couldn't leave for 5 hours. We just sat there while they questioned all of us.


When they got to me, they asked me if I could describe the shooter, I said, "He was Vietnamese, that's all I know."


Finally, they let us go home, I drove home, and walked in my house, I sat down and all I could think about is the shooting. I couldn't sleep.


The next night, I went to work, and started my shift, I couldn't do it, I had to leave and go home. I told my manager that I don't think I can work graveyard anymore. He was understanding and switched me to mornings.


He gave me the day off so I could get ready for my new morning shift, I went in at 6am and started working. All was going good until I saw 2 Vietnamese guys walk in. I froze!

I went to the office and told my manager, "I quit!" I walked out.


You don't know how you will handle situations like this until it happens to you. I am a very strong person, and I didn't think it would bother me like it did. It is something I will never forget.


When bad things happen in my life, I put them in the back of my mind and pretend that it never happened, but in reality, it is still in my mind, and does affect me. So, I have learned to deal with it so I can get over it, instead of hiding it.

© 2018 Donna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your story had me riveted from beginning to end! You have a way of pouring out your heart in such a vulnerable way, the reader is in your shoes & feeling how you feel. Every bit of this story was a surprise & you tell it with pacing meant for a thriller. But I guess you never think of writing this way, you’re just putting the story to paper the way it comes to you. This naturalness is what makes your “thriller” feel even more compelling (I hate it when the plot of a story is trying to twist me around). I’m sorry you had to experience this in real life. I had a similar thing happen to me in my 20’s, regarding a work-related murder. One of these days I’ll tell that story & you inspire me with good ideas on how to show the way it went & felt (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


I've read the story and it made me think about what to do in those situations ,I think the best solution is to face them again, I know it's easy to say and hard to do because I did something like you run from the situation and not face it, last year a motorcycle hit me, I didn't break a bone but my wound got infected it made me decide to never walk in that street again, to avoid it , so I came to delete one of the main streets of my city, but this October an other motorcycle hit me, so this time I've decided not to delete streets , just to go out there and face the road.
They say time heal, it means that we need a break before we face those situations again, Like Meredith from Grey's Anatomy, she also after the plane crush could't travel by plane, she kept trying until the day she did.
It has been really a pleasure reading for you, the way you wrote your story kept me going, so catchy! keep safe.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you for taking time to read my story. You are right about facing it again. We can't live in fe.. read more
Donna, you are a warm hearted true lady with a good soul. That wicked situation was out of anyones control, only person who knew what was truly going on was the shooter. No one else. He saw you as a good person, and you are Donna. You did nothing wrong, life is like a dice you never know whst is going to happen from one moment to the next. You went back to work and tried again. You are strong. A lot of people would not even go back the next day, thst is someything strong and good about you
for trying!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you Dee for reading my story and your nice review!
and no one can blame you for having that horrible experience and stay safe always despite the many cruelties of this world

Posted 5 Years Ago


I worked several restaurants on graveyard shifts and saw a lot of weird stuff, but that one has me beat! Writing about it is a good way of dealing with it, but beware of ptsd, as it can sneak up on you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

I bet you have seen a lot of weird stuff. I also have. It is crazy the things that go on at night! T.. read more
Wow crazy story Donna! Thanks for telling it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thanks for reading it!☺

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1608 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 21, 2018
Last Updated on June 21, 2018

Author

Donna
Donna

San Jose, CA



About
Hi, I am Donna from San Jose California. I enjoy reading and writing. If you do stop by and take the time to read some of my poems/Stories, please leave a review or comment. I would appreciate it, a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The loves The loves

A Poem by bella


The Ring The Ring

A Story by Donna