HOME SWEET HOME

HOME SWEET HOME

A Story by Donna
"

A man named Bill was murdered in his home. The house sold to Michael, but Bill doesn't want to leave., Bill & Michael become friends!

"


     I have always wanted to buy a house of my own, how cool that would be. It would be mine. I can picture it, beautiful green grass with a nice shade tree, steps going to the front door, some potted flowers on the steps. Inside would be a nice big living room, a kitchen for a chef, two large bedrooms and two bathrooms, and a nice dining room. I would have a big back yard, all nice grass and a back patio with a table and chairs to enjoy the nice evenings.

Let me start at the beginning, my name is Michael Clark, I am 26 years old, I have lived here in Arizona my whole life. My parents moved to Colorado about 2 years ago, that is when I rented a room from a guy I went to college with. I work for a big computer company and I make pretty good money for a single guy. My job has me traveling more than usual, but I enjoy seeing other states.

I decided to start looking online at houses for sale in my area. I spent hours scrolling through houses, but nothing caught my eye, or my price limit. Just when I was ready to stop searching, I saw it. It looked like my perfect house. I looked at all of the pictures and yep, it looked great. Im just wondering why the price of this house was so much lower than all the rest. I called the number right away and I spoke to Mr. Lee, he agreed to meet me at the house in an hour.

I got to the house right on time. A car pulled up behind me, it was Mr. Lee, "Michael, Hi, I am Mr. Lee, we spoke on the phone, come on in and lets take a look around." It looked just as in the pictures. I asked Mr. Lee about the price being so low. He told me, "Michael, I dont know how you feel about this, but there is a reason that the price is lower. The last owner died in this house." That didnt bother me one bit. I bought the house.

I went home and called my parents, they were excited for me. I went to my storage unit and started moving things to my new home. Aftert a few trips, I was tired. I sat down and just looked around at my new house, I couldnt stop smiling. I heard the doorbell ring, which startled me a bit. I opened the door to a couple standing there. "Hi, we are your neighbors, Nancy & Jack Bateman, we just want to welcome you to the neighborhood." I was so happy, this was so nice of them. "It is nice to meet you both, I am Michael Clark, please come in." Jack said, "Oh, no, we just wanted to bring you this cake my wife made for you." Then they both just starred for a minute, then Jack said, "You do know about the last owner that lived here dont you?" I explained to them that I was told about it. That was kind of strange.

The Bateman's went home, and I got my keys and was leaving the house when I heard a loud noise coming from one of the bedrooms. I walked down the hall and opened the bedroom door. I saw a man laying on the carpet with blood everywhere, he was begging me to help him. I ran out of the house and the neighbors saw me. They came running over, "are you ok Michael? What is it?" I couldnt even talk I was so scared. I just pointed to the bedroom, they both ran in and opened the door. They came back outside and said, "Michael, what is wrong?" I ran back in there to show them, but there was nobody there, no blood, no nothing. What is going on here, I swear I saw a man covered in blood begging for me to help him. The Batemans looked at each other.

Today I moved out of the room I was renting and I went to my new home. Im not going to worry about what I saw, I was just imagining things. I set my bed up and unpacked my clothes and hung them in the closet. I spent the next few hours arranging things and unpacking as much as I could. I went out to get some groceries and when I got back, I unloaded the groceries, when I heard a noise from the bedroom again. I just stood there for a minute, Im not scared, I walked back to the bedroom and I saw blood all over my bed and blood handprints on the walls, then I saw the man begging for help.

I ran outside to my car. I got in and I called Mr. Lee. I explained to him what was going on. He told me that the house has been empty ever since the owner died there. That is all he could tell me. He said he would come over if I wanted him too. I told him yes. He came right away. I told him I would make dinner for him and he could stay awhile to see if it happens again. Of course nothing happend. We ate dinner and Mr. Lee stayed for about 2 hours then he went home. I guess I am just losing my mind.

I went to bed after doing the dishes, I was mentally exhausted. I woke up at 3am and went to the bathroom, turned on the light, the bathtub was full of blood, I slammed the bathroom door. I sat on my bed for a minute then I got the nerve to go look in the bathroom again. I opened the door, nothing there. I used the bathroom and went back to my room, sitting on my bed was the man, but this time there was no blood. I tried to be calm. He said to me, "Please dont be scared, I used to live in this house, it is mine, but I was killed. I dont want to leave my house, please let me stay, I promise I wont scare you anymore." I didnt know what to say. Then I said, "I am not scared of you now that I know who you are, but why do you want to stay here? Who killed you?" The man said, this is my house and i want to stay here, I dont know who killed me, he broke in while I was sleeping and stabbed me to death." I told him that I didnt mind if he stayed since it was his house as long as he didnt scare me anymore with the blood. He promised.

I slept better now that I know what is happening. Ive never been afraid of the after life and I did believe in it. I figured it was best to let him stay so he was happy and wouldnt do any harm. If I would of told him to get out, I dont know what he would do.

Weeks went by and all was quiet. I had some friends over for a housewarming party. It was fun, I had about 4 friends over, and one girlfriend. We were drinking and playing music and having a good time. Beth asked if she could use my bathroom, I pointed down the hall to her. A few minutes later she came back. She started talking to me about how nice the house is, then she said, "oh and the man I met in the hallway, the older guy, he was so sweet, is he a neighbor of yours?" I froze for a minute, because I knew who it was, "umm, yes, just a neighbor."

A everyone had left, I started cleaning up the cups and plates and snacks we had. I went to the kitchen and sitting at the dining room table, guess who? My dead roomate! He said, "Hey Michael, great little get together you had this evening, and the girl, wow! Cute girl." I just looked at him, then I said, "Why did you talk to her? Hey, I dont even know your name?" He looked at me smiling, "My name is William Parker, but you can call me Bill. I like what you have done with the place. I feel right at home. I am glad you are ok with me staying here, and see, I told you I wouldnt do anything to scare you." I finished cleaning up then I told him, "Bill, where have you been the past few weeks?" He laughed, "I have been around, I am letting you have your time in your new home without bothering you. If you ever need me, just call my name and I will be here." I thanked him, then went to bed,

In the morning, I woke up to the smell of coffee, I got up and went to the kitchen, they coffee pot was set at 7am to start the coffee. I didnt set it, must have been Bill. I said out loud, "Thank you Bill, this is so nice of you." I poured myself a cup of coffee, then I saw Bill sitting on the couch, I sat down on the couch with him. Bill asked me why I was single. I explained to him that I enjoyed being single and was not ready for a relationship. I guess I like to play the field.

Bill and I must have sat and talked for an hour, I wanted to know more about him and his life and death. Bill said, "I bought this house about 15 years ago, I was a single guy like yourself, I had a good job and a great wife. We never had kids. My wife was a working woman, she worked for a top attorneys office. We were married for 5 years, then she ran off with one of the attorneys she worked for. I was so happy in this house, I just loved it. I took good care of it. I had
 friends and we would go out once in awhile. I had a normal life. Then one night while I was sleeping, someone broke in and stabbed me, I didnt know what was happening, then I was dead. I dont know what happened then, but I could see myself floating or flying around, im not sure, then I was here at home. I dont know if I was suppossed to be in Heaven or Hell, but I was here."

This is crazy to listen to him. I mean, I believe that there is life after death, but this is strange. Its funny though, I liked Bill and I am comfortable around him. I didnt mind him being here at all. Shoot, he was good company. Who would ever believe me if I told them? Nobody. I dont plan on telling anyone.

I had to leave for a business trip for 3 days, Bill told me he would take care of the house while I was gone. I told him, "ok Bill, no wild parties ok?" He laughed.

I flew to California and got my hotel. It was going to be 3 days of meetings, boring. The first day, I arrived early and went in and got a seat. A gorgeous woman was up front and she welcomed me.
I guess she was our speaker, she was probably in her early 30's, dark long hair, dark skin, a nice body. She had my attention. I sat there for 4 hours starring at her as she talked. Then we took a break. I went to get a coffee and then outside to have a smoke. The woman came over to me and introduced herself, "Hi there, I am Melinda Garcia, how are you enjoying my speech?" I told her, "Oh, Im really enjoying it." She smiled. I felt so stupid. She asked me if I would like to have dinner with her after we are finished here. I of course agreed.

Wow, this is an awesome trip so far. It seemed like forever for this meeting to end, but it finally did. We agreed to meet at a nice place called Raymonds at 8pm. I went to my hotel and showered and picked out something nice to wear. I got there first and sat down at the table. I saw her come in, oh wow, I couldnt believe how beautiful she looked. She had on a nice short dress, her legs amazing and it was low cut, her breasts filled it out nicely. We had a nice dinner and conversation. It was getting late and we had to be up early the next morning, so we decided to call it a night. We left Raymonds and headed out. She was staying at the same hotel as I was, so we walked together. I walked her to her door and gave her a small kiss on the cheek.

The next 2 days all I could do is just stare at her while she speaks, I had no idea what she was saying and I didnt care. It was time to leave and head back home. She told me that she lives in Arizona also, about  30 minutes from where I live. What luck. I asked her if she would like to come to my place and I would cook dinner for her sometime. She said, "Yes, when?" We set a date and I headed home.

I got home around midnight, I was so tired. I put my bags down and got a drink of ice tea, then I went to take a shower. It was really hot. I got into bed and turned the TV on. Then I see Bill walking in my room, "Hey buddy, how was the trip? It was lonely without you here." I laughed, "Hi Bill, It was a great trip. I met a beautiful lady who will be coming for dinner next week. Were you ok here all alone?" Bill said, "Oh yeah, I was ok. Someone came to the door once. Other than that, it was quiet here."

Next thing I knew, it was morning. Thank God i have today off. I called out to Bill, and there he was. "Goodmorning Michael, can I get you some coffee or breakfast?" Coffee would be nice, I said. The more I think about this, I am talking to a ghost, but it is for real. It feels like we are roomates.

Finally it was my big dinner date with Melinda, we spoke on the phone and I gave her the address. I started to make dinner, Bill sat at the kitchen table and talked to me while I cook. I set the table with candles and a bottle of wine, I had nice music playing and everything was perfect. Bill said, "Michael, I hope you dont mind if I stay till she gets here, just so I can see her and then I will leave for the night, and give you privacy?" I told him that would be fine.

The doorbell rang, It was Melinda looking beautiful as always. She came in and looked around. We sat down and I poured the wine. I excused myself and went to my bedroom where Bill was sitting on my bed, "She is so pretty Michael, you did good, I will go now. Have fun and I will see you later."

Everything went perfect, we sat on the couch and drank our wine and talked. She leaned over and kissed me right on the lips, well that lead to more kissing and touching, till we ended up in my bedroom, her body so perfect, we made love and it was so amazing. It was around 1am when she said she better get going. I told her she could stay, but she had a early appointment the next day.

I walked her to her car and I kissed her, I watched her drive off. I went back in smiling. I cleaned up the dishes. Then I yelled out to Bill, I wanted to tell him all about my night. He came right away. "Hey Michael, ok tell me everything." We sat up and I told him everything. I was really glad Bill was here with me. I was getting used to him being there and I liked it.

It was so funny yesterday, I was in the backyard picking some weeds, then Bill came out there and sat on the grass and talked to me while I was working, Then I saw the neighbors starring at me. They must think I have lost my mind, the think I am talking to myself. Oh well! I just waved at them and I went inside. Bill and I laughed about it.

Time goes by so fast, It has been one year now that I have been living in this house with Bill. By now, we know everything about each other, we get along great. I asked Bill how he was feeling? I mean, what is it like being dead? He said, "It is strange, I am dead, but I am here in spirit I guess. I am happy, I feel fine, Im glad Im here with you." Michael told Bill, "Well at least I know that there is life after death, so Im not as afraid to die."

Michael went to bed, Bill sat on the corner of the bed. "Michael, I have something to tell you. I am going to be leaving for awhile, maybe about a week, but if you need me for anything, just call my name and I will be here in one second." Michael looked at Bill, "ok Bill, I will." Michael fell asleep and Bill was gone.

In the morning, I got up and remembered that Bill had to leave for awhile, so I didnt bother to call his name and bother him. I took a shower and went to work. It was a long day at work, I was busy all day.

After work, I went straight home, made dinner then went to my room to watch TV in bed. Around 3am, I woke up to a man standing over my bed with a knife in his hand, I froze, as he started stabbing me, he wouldnt stop, I remember screaming out but nothing came out, then it was all dark.

Fast forward to 9 months later:

My name is Lisa, I am 25 years old, I have a good paying job and I have been saving up to buy my first home. I happened to drive down a side street on my way to the store and I saw a cute house with a sign in front of it, "For Sale." I decided to call the number on the sign just to ask about the price. A man answered, he told me he could be there in 15 minutes to show it to me, so I just waited there for him. I got out of my car and looked in the windows, it looked clean and nice.

A car pulled up and a man got out, "Lisa, hi there, I am Mr. Lee, come on in and lets look around. The house was just perfect. It was exactly what I was looking for. I asked Mr. Lee about the price. He told me, "Lisa, Im not sure how you feel about this, but I have to tell you that 2 people died in this house, and thats why it is priced lower than most. Some people dont want to live in a house like that."
I thought to myself, "Hmm, the price is excellent, it really doesnt bother me that people died in the house, maybe they were sick or something and wanted to die at home."
I bought the house. I was thrilled. My first home.

I took a week vacation off from work so I could take my time and get moved in. I bought all new furniture, it was so fun fixing it up just the way I wanted it. I unpacked my clothes and hung them in the closet. It was starting to really look like a home, and it is mine. I couldnt stop smiling.

The doorbell rang, I opened the door, and it was a couple standing there. "Hi, I am Jack and this is my wife Nancy Bateman, we live next door. We wanted to welcome you to the neighboorhood, you do know what happened in this house, dont you?" They just starred at me. I said, "Yes, I was told." They left.
They were nice, but strange.

I went back to my bedroom and continued putting clothes away, when I heard a noise in the kitchen. I stopped what I was doing and walked to the kitchen, at the dining room table sat 2 men. They both said, "Hi Lisa, we used to live here."
THE END!


 

© 2018 Donna


Author's Note

Donna
This is different from my usual stories. Let me know what you think. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a great story! I could feel YOU telling this story all the way thru, even tho you say it’s different from your other stories. You have this way of conveying everyday life details in a simple straightforward way, but everything makes sense in your stories & your storytelling is done with excellent flow & interest. With some other writers, I might suggest fleshing out more detailed imagery from scene to scene. But the way you wrote this, even tho some passages are somewhat written in “shorthand” – this works for this story becuz you got everything into your story & it’s still a manageable length for online readers with short attention spans. If you fleshed anything out further, your story might go on too long for some people. So it’s a good length & it’s crafted with a storytelling style that most people can relate to easily. Your storytelling is comfortable & fun. It sounds like oral storytelling, because the way you craft your sentences feels spontaneous, not overly-crafted. I was slowly becoming convinced that Bill & Michael were a real thing becuz of the tentative steps you make along the way, bringing them closer & closer, showing us the doubtfulness Michael is feeling, yet also convincing us with the way he surrenders to this odd arrangement. I might’ve said this before, but even tho your writing is not perfectly crafted (a few mistakes here & there) it’s YOUR personality shining thru that makes every one of your stories fun to read & easy to forgive any little issues (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Margie, I really appreciate you taking the time to read my story. Your opinion means so much to me, .. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

My pleasure, please feel free to ask anytime!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 7, 2018
Last Updated on July 7, 2018

Author

Donna
Donna

San Jose, CA



About
Hi, I am Donna from San Jose California. I enjoy reading and writing. If you do stop by and take the time to read some of my poems/Stories, please leave a review or comment. I would appreciate it, a.. more..

Writing