JOEY

JOEY

A Story by Donna
"

A very short story about childhood friends, heartbreak, losing, and wonderful memories.

"

     I met Joey when we were 7 years old. His family moved into the house next door to mine. We became fast friends. We were in the same class at school, we walked home together, then played till dinner time.

     My name is Anna, and Joey is my best friend. We play tag, house, & ball. We told out parents that when we grow up, we are getting married to each other, our parents would laugh. It was all innocent fun.

     It was about 4 years later, Joey and his family went on a vacation for a week. It was the worst week of my life. I didn't know what to do without Joey. I missed him so much. 

     I heard my Mom talking on the phone, then she started to cry. When she hung up, she came to me and said, "Anna honey, that was Joey's Mom on the phone, there was a horrible accident, Joey was hit by a car and he died." All I could do is scream.

     It took years for me to deal with losing Joey, sometimes it is still hard. As time went on, I grew up. I met a wonderful man named Mike, we dated for a year and a half, then we were married. I was so happy.

     My Mom called me to tell me that Joey's family is moving and the put the house up for sale. Mike & I have been looking for a home to buy, so I told him about it. Mike knows what Joey meant to me, so we bought the house.

     I loved living in Joey's house, I have great memories, plus my parents are next door, but the best news of all is that I am pregnant.

     I was drinking a cup of hot tea, I heard our dog, Duke barking in the backyard. I looked out the window, he was digging a hole next to a tree. I went out there to make him stop, when I saw a metal box in the hole. I cleaned the dirt off of it and took it in the house. I sat down at the kitchen table. It was hard to open, but I finally did it. I saw a dead rose, a piece of folded up paper and a small box. I opened the paper and it read, "Dear Anna, I will always love you! Love Joey." As the tears ran down my face, I opened the small box, it was a ring, the ones you get from a bubble gum machine.

     Mike & I have a beautiful baby boy, we named him Joey!

THE END!

© 2018 Donna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you Donna for sharing the story. Us, who love to write. keep dear friends alive with words. I liked the naming of son, Joe. A amazing story shared.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


I have read a lot of this kind of story, but I must say that it was well written and even though as soon as Anna's mom got that call I know what the ending held I couldn't stop reading.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Ian, thank you so much for reading my story. I'm glad you enjoyed it. 😊
Ian D. Mooby

5 Years Ago

You are welcome
Wow, Donna, this was beautiful, articulate, delightful, sweet and so so heartfelt. As well as sad but with a wonderful ending. You had to great men in your life, Joey and Mike. And your brilliant dog Duke.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Donna you should write a story in general. You would be excellent at it.
Donna

5 Years Ago

Well thank you Dawn! 😊
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

my pleasure Donna, as I would read it. :)
This is a great story, well-told! I get the feeling this is not a story from your life, as your stories usually are. But it's told in such a realistic way, it feels like a true story for sure. This is one of the best storylines I've read from you, as far as how your story covers many years, but it's well organized & the lapse of time feels proportionate & logical. I have to honestly say that I would not go for this much sentimentality in my life partner . . . not sure I could buy into all of it, if it were my wife in this situation . . . so good on the hubby of this story! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Margie, I am so glad you liked it. Your reviews/opinions are very important to me! Hope your doing w.. read more
In the book of life a beautiful chapter, that came to an abrupt end... joey Will always stay young and beautiful in her memories. I am glad Anna got a second chance and found a wonderful husband and had a handsome baby.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story! ☺
Mrudula Rani

5 Years Ago

You are most welcome.
Oh so sad, yet sorta happy. The bit about Joey dying made me remember when I had to tell my youngest son about one of his playmates being killed. (shot in the head while using a porta-potty by a 17 year-old jerk with a gun. Just wanted to scare him, he claimed) With your story, we can at least feel like Joey is being honored.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Donna

5 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel, that is a very sad story! I appreciate your review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

504 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 4, 2018
Last Updated on October 4, 2018

Author

Donna
Donna

San Jose, CA



About
Hi, I am Donna from San Jose California. I enjoy reading and writing. If you do stop by and take the time to read some of my poems/Stories, please leave a review or comment. I would appreciate it, a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fantasy Fantasy

A Poem by Margie F