Rejection

Rejection

A Story by Symphonic_Sunflowers
"

Ive recently been rejected from a job for what feels like the 1000th time this year. So, I am writing this, to make me I guess feel better.

"

"Hi there, I am a poor university student looking for a -"

"No"


"To whom it my concern, I'm a full time university student looking for a --"

"Your background is impressive, but no"


"Hi there, I was just --"

"No"

"But I -"
"No"


Looking and searching for employment, like an animal for food or a person looking for water in the desert.

Job opportunities are like a mirage in the oppressive heat of the desert. They appear when you're most desperate. You widen your tired eyes, rub them once or twice, just to see if what you're seeing is real and then you run, and you run with hope in your thoughts and resume in hand to apply and you get there, and it keeps getting further and further away until it fades into nothing but disappointment.


And its like you never learnt or just forgot, because you keep going and going and trying and trying, even if you know its going to turn into nothing - because it felt so real, you could almost hear "You're hired" escape from your potential employers lips, but yet, to no avail you get the same generic email over and over again, week by week, month by month and soon enough, year by year.


Unemployment.


It stares you in the face; those who are cosily employed laugh in your face or whinge and whine about how horrible their life is. It stares you down, until you feel no longer valuable.

Friends and family treat you like a charity case - you have little to no choice to let your partner buy dinner, you have little to no choice to let your parents pay your bills.

You have little to no choice.


You are little and are nothing - just a statistic.


We're all just statistics - an expense; a number.

© 2015 Symphonic_Sunflowers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know times are still hard... you might think toward some volunteer work just to keep your Resume' active and current as well as your skills. Been there a time or two myself.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

1 Year Ago

Thanks for the advice, Chris! but since I wrote this things have certainly gotten better = ha ha! I .. read more
Chris

1 Year Ago

Well, if its by your own choice - good for you. But the advice still stands for anyone facing a lon.. read more
That's correct. You are just a number in life to everyone. At your job, at your house, at everything really. No one really cares about anyone but only for what they can get out of you. That's why I shun social relationships with people. But not everyone can be like me. Oh well.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

4 Years Ago

Not everyone is out to destroy you.
I'd rather open myself up to the risk. I'm certainly more.. read more
Mr. D

4 Years Ago

Sorry, but I find optimism to be like a poison. It's almost like a refusal to see the world for what.. read more
Symphonic_Sunflowers

4 Years Ago

Alright dude ✌️
I'm sure you've heard this many times - Don't give up! Keep trying! At your age, you've got every chance of a change in fortune! At 82 years of age,! know!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Symphonic_Sunflowers

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review! I wrote this over 4 years ago and ive only just now returned to t.. read more
augustus

4 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. I hope you can put the 'rough' days behind you.
So very, very true. It is so important to make people feel valued, and unemployment negates all that. You can't even earn a living writing, these days and have to pay for your own publication more often than not. What is the World coming to!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Honest writing. writing about it, you're probably trying to chase bad luck away. but, hey, you're young, for God's sake. keep trying. you made it sound like you've been trying for 20 or 30 years. yeah, I'm sure you've heard it countless times. never give up :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

8 Years Ago

Thanks Woody! It feels like 20/30 years haha
Bold and honest, just how I like it! This is true for countless people these days, young and old. Getting a job in today's market is a real challenege. It takes loads of perseverance and humility. It is especially difficult when the only available employment is hourly and you find yourself over qualified. These types of employers are more likely to hire the person who will cost them the least. It actually pays not to have a degree in some cases! Times are changing. You wrote this well, gave it some real weight. I hope things turn up for you soon! Thaks for your story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much J.A :) But yeah, I'm turning 18 in 2 months, so its so hard because obviously they.. read more
This is very true. Sometimes i think being treated like a charity case is worse than the next rejection letter. i'm finding writing carries the same "rejection curse". Loose track of who you sent to last, not to mention how many you've been rejected by.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

8 Years Ago

Absolutely agree with you. I'm so glad that this story has been received well! I was worried that it.. read more
Marcus K

8 Years Ago

Most social media sites aren't filled with members of the same "society". Writers are special - we .. read more
Symphonic_Sunflowers

8 Years Ago

I agree :) feel free to check out any other of my stories!
This is just so real. I relate to this so much. It truly is hard and I often feel like giving up. But we musn't lose hope. Good luck to you!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

8 Years Ago

Thankyou, Valerie :)
well this is a grim out look on life,but it sounds familiar lol

Posted 8 Years Ago


Symphonic_Sunflowers

8 Years Ago

Haha yeah, just a little bit :p thanks for the review, Wordman! :3
 wordman

8 Years Ago

you are welcome
Kimberly Navarro

8 Years Ago

Nice way of putting this experience we all know and have dealt with into words

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

639 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 23, 2015
Last Updated on June 23, 2015
Tags: unemployment, value, charity case, rejection

Author

Symphonic_Sunflowers
Symphonic_Sunflowers

Townsville , Queensland , Australia



About
I am a 20 year old woman who likes to write about the journey towards death we call life! I also like to review music that inspire me and my write ups! Check out my instagram! @symphonic_sunflowers more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Why Collaboration? Why Collaboration?

A Story by .