Despite Demise

Despite Demise

A Story by DrSprinkz73

  It's dark tonight. Darker than usual. The wind billowing around me doesn't cease yet it's peaceful. Standing where she used to be, I think back three years ago when the autumn sun was setting on the broken cliff.  Slowly setting afire the leaves in wondrous rays of muting sunlight. A broken cliff I helped destroy.


Her favorite time of the year.


 These stupid kids are yelling about with their trick or treating and cheap costumes. Ugh, what a drag. If only I could be left in peace without a snot-nosed sticky child laughing and babbling around me.

 I turned to leave but I heard a soft voice whisper,"Where are you going? Where have you been?" The clock rewound itself, forming her perfect shell-like skin draped with a fine green silk right before me. Swallowing chunky vomit I try not to choke in my surprise. "I've been here all along; I never left." The clocks go forward. 

  Suddenly grasping at my collar she's urging me to jump down. Her chilled wet fingers cause me to shake yet there's something I can't seem to understand in her urgency.

  "Just as before Michael! Just as you've always done! Do not try fooling us with your promise of serving God." She choked out the very last word and still pushed me closer to the edge. I peeked out cautiously at the high tides roaring waves. They called out to me with promises of ultimate engulfment. 

 Finally we're thrown by the sheer will of the wind that can only hit faster. I cry out at the thought of impact. "Lord save us!" She seemed to have wrapped herself around me with no sign of letting go. The jagged bones carved into my flesh with no mercy, no control. 

 The thunder claps as we free-fall into the water. Hitting what felt like knives of ice and hate I pass out and sink down. Darkness. All that is remembered later on when I'm walking home is the broken cliff I helped destroy.

  

© 2011 DrSprinkz73


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

a surreal trip through Hallow's eve~ I personally like the enigmatic quality that leaves core interpretation up to the reader~ well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This confused me. I read and reread and still cannot decide what the cliff and the woman and the line "Do not try fooling us with your promise of serving God," mean.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2010
Last Updated on March 15, 2011

Author

DrSprinkz73
DrSprinkz73

Chicago, IL



About
I am not a simple person. But I do prefer all the simplicities in life. I can't say it's my dream to become a published writer I ust enjoy what I do. I have goals. I tend to lean towards darker wr.. more..

Writing