MYNA

MYNA

A Poem by ~Dragon X
"

I went to MYNA camp recently, and these are my thoughts on it. ;)

"
It's incredible
It's unsizable
Just only 7 days
100 different ways.

I knew no one
No brother, sister, daughter, son.
I slept with strangers,
home some favored.

It's amazing 
The huge changing 
experienced here
The result is clear.

First day of the week
They all seemed to seek
Their parents hours away,
Missing home all day.

Last day,
If I may,
We were practically,
Close as family.

It's incredible
It's unsizable
Because this is MYNA
The best of my dunya.

© 2012 ~Dragon X


Author's Note

~Dragon X
I wrote this little piece while I was at the camp when I had some free-time to make something for the last night of the camp, otherwise known as the infamous "Entertainment Night". Basically it's where people get to show off their talents. I wrote this poem as a kind of tribute to that awesome camp. The frail loose leaf paper I wrote it on has my blood on it by the way. This makes me think it's some sort of blood pact-seal thing now. XD It was unintentional though. O.o While I was trying to fix the poem up, I swiped my very sharp pencil down. The lead point scraped the skin of my middle finger. I looked at my finger, and I only saw a little cut and a little blood.
But when I looked at my paper, I saw little flecks of red. XD
For those who don't know Arabic, the word dunya means "life". The Arabic word just rhymed. X3
MYNA is the abbreviation for Muslim Youth of North America.
It's totally awesome. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds like fun and your poem reflects that I think XD

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hello, Dragon X. The poem was about your time at myna camp. I have never been to myna camp, and I am debating whether to be honest with you. The truth is, words like "incredible" and "unsizable", I'm sure have a great deal of meaning for you. Personally, I would like to know just how "incredible" or "unsizible" actually looks. You see, it's very easy to express one's emotions using words like "incredible", but often reader's don't get much from such words. Or they fill in such parts with their own meanings, which is fine, except that the meaning you originally might have wanted to convey then becomes lost.

I think that there are two potential poems, here. The first might be about someone not knowing anyone at camp, which is a very vivid and recognizable experience. The second is about how camp changes a person. I don't believe there is anything wrong with simply stating that camp changes one, as you do, or that you didn't know anyone, as you do. I wonder, however, about the imagery that could be associated with this.

For example: A line like "I knew noone" can easily be turned to something like:

"Faces all like eggs" (Any number of descriptions could have worked here, but I chose this one to point out the imagery. A face is a highly distinguishable object, while an egg is simply the same as any ordinary egg in an egg carton. A dozen twins. Oh, that's good."

"Faces all like eggs/ a dozen twins / to get to know"

etc. Note, however, that this is just my take on the poem, and my suggestions. Don't worry about me. Just try to keep your writing progressing. Is all. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


interesting how much can change in so short a time

Posted 12 Years Ago


I liked this poem. The meter was a little wonky for me, but it still flowed in an oddball sort of way.

The word choice was nice, the phrasing of "I slept with strangers" was a little misleading at first though.

All in all, a nice light-read poem.

Good job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Cute little poem!!! :) Hope you had fun!!!
Yeah, that blood-pact thing is really funny. LOL


*100
**I ALWAYS give 100s

Posted 12 Years Ago


That was really amazing! Good job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Yay!!!! A new poem that I can review! :)

This is really sweet and cute. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. :) I really like the rhyme scheme, and your meter is very consistent. Nice job! I bet the other campers really liked this.

Lol, I think the blood pact things is kind of funny. ;)

Once again, great job!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow!! That sounds like it must have been really fun. I wish I could have gone to camp. It really flowed together. A sweet poem. :) Loved it!
*100*

Posted 12 Years Ago


AMAZING :)
Sounds soo fun! I've never been to a camp before, but it seems awesome. I love how you rhymed it, by the way :)
'Dunya' is the name for 'world' in Urdu (the language I speak), so it makes sense in two languages :D Anyways, this is awesome!
*seconds Summer*
*100*

Posted 12 Years Ago


LOVE IT! Absolutely love it. It had just a simply lovely flow to it and it could be a bit like a ditty. DUNYA! Haha. My name... basically.. essentially.. means life. Lol, that could be a nickname. Anyway, I loved this poem.

* 100 *

Just because it's about MYNA. ( Which, one day, I will go to WITH you )

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

981 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 18, 2012
Last Updated on January 18, 2012

Author

~Dragon X
~Dragon X

Riding Dragons, OH



About
hi I'm basically a ghost here now I show up once in a blue moon I'm all over this nifty lil place called wattpad now, but my writing still sucks so don't go there body, a, a:hover { cursor:url.. more..

Writing
The Reason The Reason

A Poem by ~Dragon X



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Soldier The Soldier

A Poem by Ami N.