Silver and Saffron

Silver and Saffron

A Poem by Dressed in Poetry
"

Challenge: Write a poem inspired by a spice. (I chose "saffron.")

"

I must be clear:

He never touched me

In ways I did not let him.

Yet it always seemed that

He would leave me crushed

And crying out (on the inside)

For him to stop.

His lips would brush mine

In ways that felt forbidden, stolen -

Taken from me unwillingly,

Though I always returned them

However hesitatingly.

Even his hand upon mine

Felt wrong and made me

Weak, ashamed, but…

I never took my hand away.

The red dress in the corner

Was thrown there with reluctance,

But I had never truly protested

Or fought its placement there.

Surely, by not fighting, I said yes?

He gave me silver jewelry,

And acted like a gentleman,

Clasping every necklace for me,

But they hung like nooses.

When he left, I could see

Crushed saffron in his footsteps,

Broken petals who lost their voices

A long time ago.

© 2010 Dressed in Poetry


Author's Note

Dressed in Poetry
Picture: http://ictenbey.deviantart.com/art/SILENCE-69243859

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Footsteps of safron? Wow, does he know how much that stuff costs? :)

Like the exotic spice that went to waste, so did the redolence and zest of his mistreated mate. Precious herbs, and savories just like piquant paramours in our lives are delicate, and need to be handled with respect, and a gentle touch.

Being a chef I thought this poem was going to about the actual spice, nevertheless, I wasn't disappointed by the least bit. You're poem was seasoned just right, and simmered to perfection.

Loved it!
Antonio

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I totally love the metaphor of necklaces and nooses I really liked your style not too light or too harsh just right.

Posted 13 Years Ago


i don't know how i found this poem but i'm really, really glad i did. the uncertainty, the sense of violation with a hint of responsibility, the painful well expressed images make this a sad and powerful poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a powerful write, full of emotion
Wonderfully expressed!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I thought this was wonderful. Beautifully dramatic. The last two lines really stood out to me. Very thought provoking.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
w
This was beautiful. And a feeling I've struggled a lot with. There is a stigma placed on relationships, intimacy, sex... each one invokes a different feeling. But rarely are they good ones.
You need to understand yourself, your body, your feelings. You need to understand what you want, what you don't want, and why you do or don't. The relationship you're describing was missing something for you. Or perhaps it just wasn't giving enough. But to know that, you have to know yourself above all.
Find peace there, and finding peace with another person becomes much easier.

The poem itself was involved, but never breaching on overwhelming. Very lovely.
Best wishes,
Edie

Posted 14 Years Ago


Broken petals who lost their voices
A long time ago.

a beautiful stanza....such a fantastic engrossing read that hits anyone thats been in real painful hurtful love right at the core...love never is all sugar and spice.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Love the line: "Clasping every necklace for me, But they hung like nooses." Straightforward, yet through the story-telling, there is sorrow.

Patrick

Posted 14 Years Ago


amazing poem :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Footsteps of safron? Wow, does he know how much that stuff costs? :)

Like the exotic spice that went to waste, so did the redolence and zest of his mistreated mate. Precious herbs, and savories just like piquant paramours in our lives are delicate, and need to be handled with respect, and a gentle touch.

Being a chef I thought this poem was going to about the actual spice, nevertheless, I wasn't disappointed by the least bit. You're poem was seasoned just right, and simmered to perfection.

Loved it!
Antonio

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ironic perception; what's written here is alive in my universe just as vividly. True and concrete; silent screams tremble the soul. Good work!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1812 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 4, 2010
Last Updated on January 4, 2010
Tags: saffron, silver, rape, relationship, silence, broken

Author

Dressed in Poetry
Dressed in Poetry

Norman, OK



About
Je m'appelle Lauren. I'm very dramatic. Other random things about me: - I have a passionate love for all things ironic. - 80% of what I say is sarcastic. - I like big words. They are fun. - I .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse


Succubus Succubus

A Poem by Muse