Doomsday: A Day of Love

Doomsday: A Day of Love

A Story by Charlie Duhad

I grasped the cell phone in my hand, using all my energy to just look at the buttons. I was going to die in just hours, why couldn’t I just call her. After pondering it in my head, I finally punched in the numbers, and listened to the ringing. While it did so, somewhere deep inside, wanted no one to answer, for me to be alone while I died. I wasn’t even with my family. They hadn’t noticed that I escaped to the sanctuary of my room. But the ringing stopped, and just as I was about to hang up, I heard the angelic voice of Hannah  just barely whisper out, crippled with fear, “Hello?”

            There was a short pause. I didn’t exactly know what to say. I knew what my intentions were, but would she understand? My question would soon be answered, but on my mind at that exact moment was the topic of mutilation. Days ago, scientists discovered a giant meteor the size of Jupiter, twenty times denser, and it was going to crush the earth. But this time we wouldn’t have any Bruce Willis to save us. It was indeed the real deal, and I had no clue what to do. My mind was racing, and all I could think about was getting this done. I had liked this Hannah for quite some time now, some would even consider the word love, and never really talked to her. She was always a point of admiration, but never a person who I could associate with. Until now. The world was ending, what did I have to worry about? We were both juniors in high school. We were both mature enough people to understand what was going on. Nonetheless, my last goal of my life was to actually talk to her, or more. I didn’t really know her, so I figured it was worth a try. I finally managed to choke out an answer, “Is this Hannah?”

            “Yes…” she said, a little more tension in her voice.

            “Ok, I’ll be prompt with you. We’re both about to die,” At this I heard a noise on the other end of the line, most likely from her sobbing or sniffling. “Can you just tell me where you live so I can talk to you in person?”

            I waited for her answer, perhaps for too long. Had I not been so eager I might have figured she had hung up on me. But I waited, for what seemed like days, but I knew they couldn’t have been since, I would be dead then. She then replied back with where she was, and to come in through the back, she would let me in through her window. I breathed a small sigh of relief. She somehow knew, if not all of my intentions, but at least my relative goal. I bode my family a farewell, improper of course, I didn’t actually say anything to them. They never really noticed me, and at this time they were all sleeping together in the living room. I snuck out the back and hopped up onto my bike. I pedaled as hard as I could to where she said she lived. On the way over, I realized that I was doing what I had always wanted to. Riding to my true love’s house in the middle of the night, expecting a lot of emotion and talking. It just wasn’t exactly the scenario I was hoping for. What I had always imagined was me coming just outside her window, in the front yard, and serenading her. Perhaps with a Peter Gabriel song…

            Even so, I reached her house in a matter of minutes, leaving me with about two and a half hours to talk to her. I went to the back like she said to, and while I did, I noticed everything about her house. Everything about her, her face, her clothes, her overall look, screamed that she was special. She just had this vibe about her that I…well…loved. But this backyard was one of a normal person. Not a house deserving of this angel. I walked quietly through the backyard, making sure I made not one noise at all. For if I did, my whole night would be ruined.

            I walked up to the window, and knocked three times. To my surprise, the knock didn’t echo throughout the house. God always seemed to try and ruin my love life, which was nonexistent, why not now? She quickly got to the window and opened it for me, and I crawled in. On her face she bore a look a complete fear. But through the fear I could see the beauty. She had gorgeous blonde hair; with centered green eyes complementing all of her other features. She had an amazing body, maybe not in most people’s else’s eyes, but in mine it was. I took around her room, and saw all of the pictures of her, at much happier times. Her features were much better outlined, and she appeared ten times as beautiful in them. And she was, right now, the most gorgeous woman in the world anyways. She sat down on her bed, and asked me what I wanted.

            “I want you.” I said, and then I saw her face turn from frightened to scared and frightened. I figured I had been too straightforward, but I continued, “I’ve avoided you ever since I saw you. I just wanted to finally actually…talk to you.” She looked back at the ground, and stared at it, not knowing what to say. Tears swelled in her eyes, and I knew she thought this was a mistake. I sat down next to her on the bed, and put my hand on her shoulder. “I know this is incredibly hard for you. But I think you know just the one thing I want.”

            She continued to stare at the ground for some time, until she finally looked up at me with a complete different expression and uttered the words of my life. “You’re selfish. Everyone you know is about to die, and all you can think about is kissing me?” She looked back at the ground. I realized she was right. But this had been my goal for years, and I wasn’t about to die without accomplishing it. I looked her in the eyes, and she turned back to me. I gradually leaned in, as did she. My heart was racing. After all she said, she was still going to do this? I wasn’t questioning it, but by golly, it amazed me. After I was only centimeters away from her face, she turned away. Almost telepathically I knew what was wrong. She just couldn’t do this. The last thing she did can’t be whoring herself off to me, no matter how I could justify it to myself. I motioned for her to lie down on the bed, and she did. She went and faced me on the far side of her twin bed. Well, needless to say, it was small. She motioned for me to lie down next to her. I promptly obliged, and nestled as close as I could without it being too weird. I adjusted myself just inched away from her, hoping to feel close to her before I died. But to my surprise, she leaned in the next few inches. I could feel her chest move up and down on my back. I could feel the sweet, warm breath of hers on my neck. It felt good to finally be in the right bed, in the right house. I soon fell asleep.

            I woke up to the sun rising. I glanced at the clock. It read five thirty. The meteor would hit any second. I could still feel her breathe on me, her chest moving, and I smiled. Why had she done this? And then I realized. She had been just as lonely as me. She just didn’t do anything about it. She just wanted to do one more good deed before she died, and that happened to be to make me feel better. At least this one day, this one morning, there were two less lonely people in the world, and one of them, was me.

© 2010 Charlie Duhad


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on December 8, 2010
Last Updated on December 8, 2010

Author

Charlie Duhad
Charlie Duhad

Newbury Park, CA



About
A new writer to this community, hope its great! more..

Writing