Self Portrait

Self Portrait

A Story by czech
"

In my earlier writings i described myself.

"


When he entered the room I noticed first and foremost the expression that clung to his face. It was one of disinterest, with a dash of boredom and a hint of fatigue, peppered with apathy and all working in unison to create a very melancholy look that he wore with pride. This was ensnared by a net of hair that perched upon his skull and was complemented by a plain blue shirt hanging from his shoulders.

It struck me as odd that it was him of all people that I spotted from the herd of cattle as it assumed its position behind the desks. The teacher spoke a few hollow words of welcome and then dove into the day's lesson. As the class became submerged in her lecture I was left ashore. For I was lost, he was intriguing. why I felt this way I knew not, I knew only that which was sitting before me, absorbed by the words of the teacher he neither acknowledged me nor cared to.

I saw next his shoes. I lingered here for some time, studying them, soaking up all the detail. I saw things that otherwise would slip through the cracks of everyday life. I saw the mud of a river bank, the mark of a hall that he had walked many times before, I saw the velveteen stain of silk, caked blood, and sand from some far away place. My eyes drifted upward over his faded jeans to the back of his head. Here my gaze stayed for a few fleeting moments until he careened around toward the clock. His face was drenched in a false enthusiasm, and it  had grown accustomed to the expressions that it wore. As his eyes detached from the clock and resubmitted to the lesson, I caught a fleeting glance that shone in a fury of blue and black. Through his eyes he was screaming to be released from this cell disguised as a classroom. Screaming to be free, screaming to all that would listen. But these mute words fell upon deaf ears.

© 2012 czech


Author's Note

czech
Congratulations, you now know me better than most. oh, and im not proud of that word play at the end, just didn't take time to edit it out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is good, very vivid descriptions.
You should capitalize the sentence "Why I felt this way..."
and it should say "...screaming to all who would listen" (instead of "that").
By the way, I, for one, happen to rather like the word play at the end. I wouldn't change it, but of course, that's up to you! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is good, very vivid descriptions.
You should capitalize the sentence "Why I felt this way..."
and it should say "...screaming to all who would listen" (instead of "that").
By the way, I, for one, happen to rather like the word play at the end. I wouldn't change it, but of course, that's up to you! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
1 Review
Added on May 8, 2012
Last Updated on May 11, 2012
Tags: Me, Drew, Self Portrait, shoes

Author

czech
czech

MI



About
I'm a junior in high school, I enjoy writing and playing guitar, and i'm looking for feedback. more..

Writing
comfort comfort

A Story by czech


war war

A Story by czech


novacane novacane

A Poem by czech