Lies Behind Smiles

Lies Behind Smiles

A Poem by Drone17
"

The largest smile holds the deepest scars.

"
Her slender wrist, marred from the stares and sneers.

Her long legs, branded with the reminder of pain and torture, of hope.

Her curved hips, scarred from the slurs of demons and devils.

Her flawless, smiling face, a lie, a mask that buries the hate and envy.

The hate that made her want to hurt, despite her heart's protests!
That made her feel, despite her mind's pleas! That made her cry despite her empty soul.

A blade, thin and pure, unjudging and fair in its form. Held between a hand that was shaking not from fear but of want. Flashes of happier times cross her mind, family, friends, and hope. Tears fall, as the blade caressed her wrist, rivoluets of red trinkle, bringing salvation and peace.

A mother enters, to a scene of tragedy and regret. She runs toward her husk of a daughter, who is empty and dry, words of love and adoration spill from a mouth that once cursed and shrieked.

Her eyes once bright and alive, grow foggy and heavy as one true, real smile grows on a dying face. A smile of relief, of regret, of hope, and with one final thought. She slips into a blissful sleep.




© 2015 Drone17


Author's Note

Drone17
What can I improve? What's my strongest point? What's my weakest? Honestly, any criticism would be appreciated, I just want to improve my writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You say you can't write stories. Well I think this proves that you are wrong. This is a perfect framework for something more. Just add a line or two here and there to add some depth. Get it right with those lines and repeat the process adding a just a few more. And keep doing this until you have your story.

This is an excellent piece. I'm not a poet so I can't comment on structure but as a reader I can tell when someone has something to say and the skills to say it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Drone17

8 Years Ago

First off, I'd like to apologise for taking so long to reply, life got in the way so I hadn't logged.. read more
I really like the style of your writing, but try to do stanza a little bit shorter. Good job

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Drone17

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing! I'll make sure to think that over next time!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

366 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 30, 2015
Last Updated on October 30, 2015
Tags: sad, depression, hope, death, poem

Author

Drone17
Drone17

El Paso, TX



About
I've always wanted to be a writer, but despite having all these ideas crammed in my head, I've found it difficult to truly write a story. Instead, to ease my frustration I write small and dark poems t.. more..

Writing
Hollow Hollow

A Poem by Drone17