The First Crusade

The First Crusade

A Story by Jeb
"

This didn't turn out as creepy as I has intended so I am going to make some revisions. I wanted it to be just a disturbingly creepy future dystopia that at the same time was like being in the past... anyway. I failed.

"

 Little Susie Q is going off to war. Susie is nine years old, but please don't feel sorry for her , she is volunteering to serve her country. See, under President Limbaugh's new act children of any age can enlist without their parent's consent. It is all apart of operation "cute 'em out". Basically we put our best and cutest boys and girls on the front lines in our war against China, and the Chinese will be so taken by their cute innocence they won't be able to pull the trigger. A brilliant game-changing strategy to say the least. 

Yes, Susie remembers well the first time she she hear President Limbaugh's new plan, when he said those famous words, "I call upon America's youngest and bravest to do what our chicken-s*** teenagers won't." Susie was so excited her nine-year-old heart could barely take it. She leapt from the couch, where she sat between her mother and father, and cried, "Bitchin'!" Then she ran off to her room where she collected her clothes and favorite stuffed pony in a knapsack and turned for the door, but Susie's father stopped her short. 
"But, Susie, you can't go!" he cried. "You're only nine years old. You could get hurt hurt or killed."
"Silly daddy," Susie giggled. "The President just said it was okay." Susie's dad was still afraid, but Susie's mother's heavily botoxed faced showed what was probably pride. 
"Oh, let her go Jim," she said, "I'm sure the army takes good care of them." 
"Don't you care that she could die?" Jim replied. Susie's mother's face turned up in what was probably shock.
"Jim, you know that we don't speak of such things in this house. Using the "D" word in front of our daughter like that. You'll ruin her innocence." 
Jim turned back to his daughter, who was struggling to get past him to the door. "Don't you think you'll be lonely in the army?" Susie's father asked her. 
"Well of course not Daddy. I'm sure Johnny and Jackie will join too." Susie's mother's eyes drew up in what was probably contentment. 
"Ahhh, yes. Johnny," she crooned. "I remember him well," and she took a long drag from her newly-lit cigarette. Just then there was a knock at the door. Jim turned to answer it, and just as if they had been called, there stood the twin neighbors Johnny and Jackie, with knapsacks filled with their favorite stuffed animals slung over their shoulders too.
"Hey there Mr. Q!" Johnny cried with youthful exuberance. "Is Susie coming off to war today?"
"We were just discussing that," Jim replied morosely. "Are you're parents okay with this." 
"Oh, sure." Jackie said, "Mom thinks it's a swell idea." Just then, Susie's mother called out from behind her husband. 
"Hello, Johnny. Jackie. How are you two today," she half-moaned. 
Jackie smiled and said, "Fine," while Johnny turned red-faced and stared at the floor, mumbling something incoherent. Susie's mother's eyes twitched to something that was probably delight. 
"I apologized for my husband's confusion," she said in a husky voice, eye-lids lowered, "he can be so anti-progress sometimes." 
Suddenly, from outside there was a call of, "Susie! Susie!" and from the house across the street came Timmy, who was a year younger than the twins and Susie. "Well, f*** me!" He cried as he reached their stoop, "If it isn't Johnny and Jackie. You two c***-suckers going to fight some chinks too?" 
"We sure are you sum-b***h," Jackie replied, while Johnny continued to stare red-faced at the floor. 
"Well, come on then you two, Susie, or we're going to miss the first train out," Timmy enthused. 
Susie pushed past her father and with a curt call back of, "Bye-dad," ran out the door and down the middle of the street with her fellow beautifully innocent, patriotic friends. JIm stood dumb-founded at the door trying to put together coherent words and clutching at the air like the ignorant behind-the-timer he was, while Susie's mother, with something that looked like triumph, ground out the last of her cigarette. 

© 2009 Jeb


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. You said this wasn't creepy.. I think it is. The way the mother seemed to not care at all... Wow, just wow. I'm speechless. You know, it really wouldn't surpise me if one day in the future one of the world leaders came to such a decision. This is amazing, it really is. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on June 7, 2009

Author

Jeb
Jeb

Dawsonville, GA



About
more..

Writing
Artificial Moon Artificial Moon

A Poem by Jeb


Morning After Pill Morning After Pill

A Screenplay by Jeb