Sapphire Sea

Sapphire Sea

A Chapter by Dark_Duckling
"

A man tries to cope with the death of his wife while also taking care of his son.

"

  Sapphire Sea ( Chapter 1) 

                                                           The Tide 

       The water gushed around me, I was wrapped in its cold icy embrace. I opened my eyes looking around the black abyss, the waves were piling against me. I surrender to the sweet silence of the dark indigo seas. My lips turning a light pale blue, slowly sucking in the black liquid.My mouth thrust open, my body trying to catch whatever breath of air it could. The water rushed into my windpipes; lungs burning from its cold icy fire. The ocean’s mouth completely engulfing my entire body, I sank to the belly of the deep blue sea; as blue as the sapphire jewels of my dear lover. The shimmering jewels shining down upon my face, a dappled ocean of white light.


      A small hand tugged at the bottom of my shirt. A muffled voice pierced through the darkness.

“ Dad are you okay?” I slowly smiled at him and nodded my head.

“ I was just thinking about something Doug, nothing important. Did you want to go home now?” He gave a straight face and looked down at the floor.

“Well…”

“ It’s okay, we can stay a little bit longer if you would like?”

“ Really?” His eyes shimmered like sapphire jewels.

“ Of course, now go have -” Before my sentence could be completed, Doug had already run back to the swings. He hopped on the red seat and began swinging back and forth. A red pendulum across a sea of autumn leaves. The once shiny metal chain had already begun crusting over in a dark layer of rust. I looked at the clouds overhead, the fluffy white was beginning to be replaced with a soft grey color.

“Not much longer Doug, okay?”

“Okay!” He shouted happily while swinging back and forth on the red pendulum.


       I looked back at the ground. A man was sprawled out on the floor, stomach cut open like a dissected pig. An apple in his right hand and nothing in the other. The white insides of the freshly bitten fruit, beginning to turn a light brown color. This was only a distraction though, from the true horror that was before me. A red sherbet was cascading out of his abdomen, staining the fallen leaves in its lipstick mark.  A hunk of rusted silver protruded from the sherbet kiss and a can of rotten Barley tilted over on the side spilling its decaying nectar over the gutted pig.


 

 


       A woman was looming over the slab of rotten flesh. Her large shadow cast across like waves over the sea. A brown braided necklace hugging her neck in an eternal embrace. Her gentle figure swaying side to side, like a blue pendulum across a red ocean. She turned her head away from it and began walking toward the scarlet indigo moon. Her soft voice penetrating through the autumn ocean. My body left ashore from the retreating waves.

 

“ Red Sails! Red Sails Across a crimson sea.

A Rosey River between two peaks.

Drunken eyes of a snake’s kin.

Kissed the rose petals that fell.

Red Sails! Red Sails Across a crimson sea.

Please come sail with me.”


     Silvery wet pebbles plummeted to the ground, and the red pendulum stopped swinging causing a thump sound.


A small shadow loomed over me.


“Can we go home now?” a small voice asked.


I blinked a few times, but remained motionless. He wrapped his tiny arms around me. His tears rolling off of his cheeks like soft round pebbles in a stream. “ Dad?” He sobbed into my shoulder crying out a river. I held him tightly in my arms, a dam slowly caving in. A river slowly colliding with an ocean.

 

“ I miss mommy.”

 

                  





© 2019 Dark_Duckling


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. I’ll share my favorite parts as soon as I have time tomorrow. For now, I will just say you are wonderfully gifted.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dark_Duckling

5 Years Ago

Awww that's so sweet, thank you so much! :)
I look forward to hearing
Black rose

5 Years Ago

Wow I could imagine every part of that, amazing work.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 13, 2019
Last Updated on January 27, 2019


Author

Dark_Duckling
Dark_Duckling

Chicago, IL



About
I'm just your every day duck that fell from the sky on a ball of fire, also known as a meteorite. Which makes me the almighty space overlord duck. We have waited in the shadows for too long, we are co.. more..

Writing
The Lagoon The Lagoon

A Stage Play by Dark_Duckling