Parental Cage

Parental Cage

A Poem by Daniel Valentine Rivera
"

Written: 06/17/15

"
When I put on this cap and gowned and I take my final steps as a senior across the stage,
A weight will be lifted off my shoulders but will be replaced by the uncertainty of a new page.
This chapter isn't over, because I'm still entagled in this tedious period I call parental cage.
In their eyes, I'm an immature inadequate disrespectful son who will never be viewed as sage.

Life is great when you're in your element and nothing kills your vibe.
My element isn't at home, so when I'm there it's often a different side.
The side that's nowhere near respectful, generous, content, or kind.
It's like a persona that is induced by my creators who I believe are blind.

Blind to see that they expect alittle too much of me, and that it's unfair.
Blind to see that I do actually try to impress them but they don't seem to care.
Blind to see that saying 'try harder' only discourages me and makes me glare.
Blind to see they will never have a perfect son, so there wishing and hoping should just end there.

But one day I'll prove my worth and demonstrate that I'm capable of handling my own.
Even though it's envitable disspointing them, atleast I'll know they will never leave me alone.
It's reassuring that when ever I need assistance they will always be on the other end of the phone.
The day I escape the parental cage is the day they are no longer with me, and feel a sorrow I've never known.

I graduate today, and we'll see if they can utter the words I've waited my whole life to hear.
The words "estamos orgullosos de ti" could possibly be the key of the cage that lets out the tears.
Although I can never thank them enough for all they've done and putting up with me all these years,
They did a great job rasing me, and if they still love me and I still love them, I should have nothing to fear.

© 2015 Daniel Valentine Rivera


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on July 18, 2015
Last Updated on August 20, 2015

Author

Daniel Valentine Rivera
Daniel Valentine Rivera

NC



About
Hey I'm Daniel. I try to be friendly! I welcome your criticism and feedback. Anything and everything you want to say I will take into consideration so that it makes me a better writer. Enjoy.. more..

Writing