Red Dog harbor CH1

Red Dog harbor CH1

A Story by Anissa Amer
"

Love story

"
“June, I’ve made it to Berlin. We got here somewhere around the midnight hour. I promised to write… Things are different here. Bigger.  I can’t promise when I will return to port, I’m sorry things have to be this way. I’m not a man of many words. 

Love always, Clive”




















Chapter One




Today was windy, and cold. June started her new job at the Red Dog saloon, in the harbor. She’d never forget this very moment, it was a Monday and the only customer she had so far was an old washed up Captain who had his own ship and no sailors. Just then, a group of loud burly men bust through the door, hungry and ready to drink. You couldn’t hear one from another the way they were hooting and hollering. The group seated themselves as one oblong sailor took everyone’s drink order, before finding his way over to the bar. He almost walked in slow motion. June’s eyes locked on to him. He was strong, and his eyes were as blue as the ocean on a sunny day. Her heart stopped for a moment. “Hey pretty lady, we need a couple of brews over here” he said with a deep voice. It made her toes curl. All she could do was flash him a smile. As she got the order together, He started to ask her questions. “You’re new here” he smirked “What’s your name?” now there was a lump in her throat as big as a golf ball. She worked up the courage enough to mutter her name. “June” she sad it so nervously, like she was going to be in trouble for saying her name. “That’s a very pretty name. Mine’s not so pretty” he joked with a dashing smile. The smile was the icing on the cake. His teeth were so perfect, pearly and white. She could have fainted. But, kept her composure, and smiled at him. “Well, ain’t you gonna ask me what is it?” he asked in a mocking tone. “Sure, what is it?” she sounded more confident this time. He twiddled his fingers and looked down at his feet. Timid. “Clive” He smiled, and took his order to the table.

June served the table until the sun went down. Slowly, the group started to die out. Leaving only Clive behind. “Last call” June murmured at midnight. Being the only two there, it wasn’t so necessary to yell. Clive flashed his teeth, and got up to leave. “June” he smiled walking towards the door “It sure was nice meetin you” she waved in his direction and locked up behind him. When everything was clean and it was time to go home, she gathered her things and walked outside, locking the door behind her. The seven blocks to her house would not be fun on foot, and she was dreading it. Her coat was big, she bundled herself to get as warm as she could, but the wind was still strong. Just as June took her first step, she heard a voice from the dark. It was a mans voice. “Hey” June turned in a quick motion, it was dark and scary at the Harbor at this time of night. Relieved, she saw Clive standing in the shadows. “Could I walk you home?” her heart fluttered, happy. “I sure wouldn’t mind it.” flashing her smile.  This was like something out of one of those romance movies. She knew she wouldn’t be able to fall asleep tonight.” So, June. Are you new around here?”. She shook her head no. “See, I’m only 18 and I just needed a job, and the pub was hiring, so I applied and Bo called me up to come in and start today, then you came in and you were my first real customer and… well, now I’m just rambling” Clive could see how nervous she was, and after she said she was only 18, he started feeling more nervous too. He was 30 after all. “Well, that’s quite a story you have there” he chuckled trying to put her at ease. They walked in silence for a few blocks, both of their minds racing on what to say. “I… I’m right here” She spoke softly. “I should go inside”. Clive walked her up to her doorstep. “I shall hope to be seeing more of you” He raised her hand and kissed it, leaving butterflies in her stomach. She didn’t want him to leave. When would she see him again? She watched him walk off into the distance before going inside. What a day. June’s roommate Amber was in the kitchen, washing dishes. When she heard June come in, she went to see how work went. June told her everything. She elaborated on Clive and on how he made her day, even just his presence. “When you gonna see him again” Amber asked inquisitively. “ I can’t say” June smirked. “What’s he a sailor or somethin?”. Amber had more questions than June could answer in one night. “I’m tired. I’ll see you tomorrow” she went up to her room. Not that she could sleep. But she liked replaying the day in her head. What a perfect gentleman. And what luck. That he was barely ever around. She must have replayed the day a hundred times, before getting to sleep. 
In the morning, she woke with a smile on her face. She hoped to see him again today. It was already nine in the morning, if she were to make it to work by ten, she’d better get a move on. Amber made breakfast, as she did most mornings. “I’ve gotta run” June said, grabbing some toast and running out the door. In some ways, she wanted nothing to do with this man. She knew Sailors were bad news and assured herself to only be friendly. Waves here and there. Nothing more. Nothing good would come of this. As June arrived to work, she looked forward to seeing Clive. She knew that even though she said nothing would happen, she could still be happy to see him. He could still give her butterflies. Setting her keys on the bar, Bo walked out from behind the bar “You look happy this morning” he snickered. June just kind of smiled and started setting up her station. Again, the old Captain came in and sat in the same spot and ordered the same drink, a white Russian. Eagerly, she awaited Clive’s arrival. The hours went by slowly. Still no Clive. “Darlin if you’re waiting on that fella you aint gonna see him for a while” The captain spoke. He never took his eyes off the television. “What?” June said as though she didn’t know what the man was talking about. “You know, Clive, he’s a sailor, big ocean fella. Them boys stay gone for months at a time… Neptune’s Coral” He seemed wise enough, but June was lost. “Neptune’s Coral?”. She asked. “You know the name of the ol ship that boy’s on” The man spoke again. Silence fell over the tavern. “How do you…” The captain cut June off “I’m an old ocean boy myself. Just old and tired now. Been doin that there importing exporting for most of my life. That’s the life darlin” June seemed somewhat upset. Not knowing any of this, or that Clive would be gone. Or that he would have at least had the decency to tell her. Then again, he didn’t owe her anything. So why should she be upset? Many things were about to unfold for June. Most of which she would just have to accept. 
The winter was harsh in Red Dog. The summer wasn’t too great either. But that’s what you got living in such a cold place. Cold or not, Clive was still on Junes mind. He’d been planted there, like a flower, and June wasn’t ready to cut it. But the days sailed by, each one quicker than the last. And Clive began to fade from her thoughts. Every day the routine was the same, Get up at nine, to work by ten and serving Harold by ten thirty. Harold was the old sea captain; he and June have become quite close by this time. He brings her a copy of the local paper when he gets in. It’s something to look forward to in the morning. The tavern almost never had any customers in before noon, except for Harold. At noon, all of the port laborers and sailors would come in for lunch. They told stories of their sea adventures. June loved to listen to the tales, she would make little movies in her head. She liked when they really got into the details, this helped her imagine better. Even if there wasn’t much detail, though, June still loved to hear about them. She had her regulars, new faces every now and again too. Today felt, different though. Maybe the nip it was the nip in the air. All she knew was that she was freezing her nose off. When she got to work, sure enough Harold was right behind her. “Mornin Harold”  she had to shout, he was a few steps behind her, and hard of hearing. “Good morning darling” Harold was always sweet to June. He was sweet to everyone. June unlocked the door to the tavern, letting Harold take his usual seat. She fixed his white Russian. As always, the pub was empty. But the hours assed slow today. She could almost hear the ticking of the clock. Harold humored her through her normal shifts. Today, he wasn’t so talkative.

© 2013 Anissa Amer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on September 24, 2013
Last Updated on September 24, 2013
Tags: Ocean port harbor red dog

Author

Anissa Amer
Anissa Amer

Orange, TX



About
Sticking to writing songs. Love Metal songs. more..

Writing