Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by E Hartfallow

Aynia was bathing in her lake. She was not worried about being seen, hardly anyone came to her sacred place as they knew it was hers to be alone and relish in the water. Her dress was hanging over the branch of a nearby tree, along with her cloak and, of course, her crown. She knew she should be at her sister’s pre-wedding feast, but after the confrontation last night she did not wish to see her father.

The sun was high in the sky today, beaming down on her and she smiled at how the water glistened with its light and she savoured the warm heat it brought. Thornacre did not seem to have seasons, no matter how hard she tried, spring never seemed to fully bloom and the flowers she created were dead within a few weeks due to unpredictable storms. Today, however, it felt mild enough for her to be out and enjoying the lake and breathing life into the dying flowers and trees that surrounded her. She preferred to be outside surrounded by wildlife instead of being in the stuffy main hall of the Thorn Court making small-talk with the Lords and Ladies, Kings and Queens of the surrounding Kingdoms.

She knew someone from Spinosa would be there to ask her what had happened between her and their Prince and she did not wish to talk about it. She knew that there would be an empty chair for her opposite Fenne but it would not be the only one. The King of Darkwell never attended Thornacre’s feasts or balls, but he was always invited. He was her father’s cousin, after all. Aynia was always the one to announce who on the invitation list was coming and every time she had to tell her father that his cousin had not only declined the offer but added that he would never associate himself with them again. However the Thorn King always prepared two empty seats and extra food for him and his wife just in case they ever decided to show up and put the past behind them.

Sighing, Aynia dipped her head into the water and closed her eyes. Submerged in water, she was unable to hear the footsteps as somebody approached her and crouched by the edge of the lake. It was a man of medium build, with a firmly set jawline and deep blue eyes that seemed to sink into his skull. There was faint stubble under his nose and a scabbard was strapped firmly to his side. He smirked down at Aynia as she lay blissfully unaware of his presence. The man reached a hand into the water, slowly running his forefinger over the length of her leg. A golden medallion hanging around his neck from a strip of leather dangled over the water as he leant forwards, glimmering in the sunlight. Engraved into the gold was a shield in front of two crossed spears.

Aynia emerged from the water with a start, spluttering as she recoiled from the man’s touch, using her hair to cover herself although she knew that the man had seen all he wanted. She brought her knees up to her chest as she cleared her lungs of water

“Princess Aynia,” The man drawled, he did not sound Thornacian. Most who were banished to the Kingdom obtained a unique accent within a few months; Aynia thought this was a joke played out by the King of Darkwell to cut all ties the banished had to their homeland, including the distinct Darkwell accent. Aynia had noticed it develop in her father’s voice, but not in her sisters. It was only until now that she thought it strange. Perhaps this gentleman had only just been sent through the portal from Darkwell but he did not look as injured or sickly as the others. He smiled slowly at her as he added, “What a pleasant surprise”

“Who are you?”  Aynia questioned “What do you want?” The man smiled again; it was as if the expression was glued to his face. His teeth were well-aligned and white, seeming to glisten in the sunlight. Aynia found herself thinking that it was lovely. It looked genuine and reached his eyes, as if he was actually happy to see her.

“My name is Gerald, Earl of Darkwell” He responded calmly but with authority in his voice

“And what did you do to get banished to Thornacre?” She asked him. She wished he would turn his back so she could get out and cover up in her dress and cloak, but the Earl just sat there watching her with his beady eyes.

“I was not banished, sweet one. I came here of my own accord” Aynia frowned. Nobody crossed through the Gateway from Darkwell to Thornacre out of choice, one would have to be mad to think life would be better dwelling in the shadows and living among death and decay.

“Why ever would you do that?” She asked looking the man up and down. He sat still and upright, unblinking.

“I was always rather fond of you, you know. I watched you when you sat next to your father when he made speeches. I never wished for you to be banished to this ghastly place. So, I suppose, I came here to rescue you” He said with a slight smirk, but his eyes looked genuine. Aynia blinked

“Rescue me? How did you get passed the guard?” She asked him. She recalled the old, decrepit yet sprightful man who warded off anyone wanting to enter Thornacre out of choice. There was no one in Thornacre to guard the other side, however. Anyone who was banished to the Kingdom of Thorns could never return to Darkwell, her father had tried and later described it as being stuck in limbo with no other choice but to return to his kingdom.

“A simple sleeping draught, my dear. What if I told you I could take you away from Thornacre?” He asked, his expression softening into something that looked like sympathy, Aynia couldn’t be sure.

“How?” Aynia asked back. The man stood up, looking down at her with another one of his inviting smiles, offering his hand down to her

“Come with me and I will show you. I will free you, Aynia. This is no life for a goddess like you” He said. Aynia frowned slightly as she watched him. How could she trust him? She barely knew him. Her father had always told her to hold little to no trust in anyone except her sisters and himself. She had always abided by this rule, even though she helped the sick and dying, she was always on her guard. This man was clearly a stalker, why would he choose a time like this to ‘rescue’ her? It had been years since she was banished to Thornacre.

 

But he could take her home

 

Aynia knew her father would never let her return to Darkwell, she knew that she could not return by herself as she was the daughter of a traitor. But this man, this man was offering to take her back with him. She had to at least see for herself first before taking her sisters with her. Gerald was right; this was no life for her. She raised her eyes to look at the man again, checking his face for any signs of lies. She found only honesty.

“Very well,” Aynia said “I will come with you” The man smiled as she reached up to take his hand and he hauled her up before turning his back so she could change into her dress in private. He turned back around as she pulled her cloak around her and extended his arm. Aynia looped her own through his and followed him as he led her down the hill and along a dirt track. They walked in silence until Gerald broke it with a: “Ah, we’re here”

Aynia took in the sight before her. The Pass of Lost Existence, or ‘The Gateway’ as she called it, was a simple stone arch however it looked majestic as it stood solitary in front of them. Nothing surrounded the arch, not even trees or bushes; it stood tall and alone in between the land of the virtuous living and the land of the dying and sinful. It was old but it was not decaying, nobody was worried that it would fall down. Aynia’s duty was to guide dying souls to this very arch and safely deliver them to the other side. She remembered the day that she, along with her father and sisters, was banished to Thornacre.

She had stood in between Grainne and Fenne as the guard had said the words of condemnation and banishment to her father before forcefully pushing the crown of thorns upon his head, marking him as the first person to be banished to the wretched place and therefore the king. She remembered the way her father had winced as the thorns pierced his skin, how the droplets of blood had ran down his face " a sight she was used to now. From Darkwell, the view beyond the arch was mist but from Thornacre she could see through the arch the lush green grass of her homeland.

She felt her heart sink as she turned to look at Gerald. She could not go with him, she was banished to live in this wretched place forever, she had been a fool to think that there was any other way of getting to Darkwell

“I cannot go with you, Gerald,” she said before reciting what the old guard had told her father “Those who are banished to Thornacre may never return to Darkwell”

“Is that what your father told you?” The Earl’s smirk was back. Aynia’s silence answered his question “You were never banished here, Aynia. Your father just told you that to stop you returning home. You and your sisters are free to leave” He explained. It was not surprising that the Thorn King had kept yet another secret, but it still stung.

“He loves us,” she said rationally “He clearly wanted us with him”

“Loved you, hmm? Forgive me, but I don’t think he would force you to live here out of love” Aynia looked up at the arch. She did miss Darkwell. She missed walking barefoot through the soft green grass without having to worry about hurting herself; here she had to tiptoe through dry spiky blades and avoid the wretched thistles that hid amongst them and clawed at the spaces in-between her toes. The Earl kept talking “Think about it. You are a goddess of life, what is the point of trying to breathe life into a place that has long since passed?” Aynia looked up at him, at his dark blue eyes sparkling with promises of a better life, a life in her hometown of Darkwell. An opportunity to start anew. Aynia took one last look at the dying land around her before looking back at her saviour who now had his arm outstretched and she smiled as she took his hand, letting him lead her through the arch and out of the fog.



© 2017 E Hartfallow


Author's Note

E Hartfallow
This is my least viewed chapter on Wattpad - any ideas why this be? Is it poorly written?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on March 12, 2017
Last Updated on March 13, 2017


Author

E Hartfallow
E Hartfallow

United Kingdom



About
Hi! My name is E. Hartfallow and I have been interesting in writing and creating stories from a young age. My friend and I used to write stories together in school and we are still doing so even no.. more..

Writing
Gone Gone

A Poem by E Hartfallow


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by E Hartfallow