The Little Things

The Little Things

A Story by Emma Claire

I could hear his heartbeat despite the thunder.

It was steady, strong, relaxed, just like the rest of him. We were watching thunderstorms out on the balcony, nestled on a patio bench in sweats and tees - our favorite pastime. The rain plopped on the roof and the pavement, the thunder would rumble every now and then, but it was the smell of the rain, the petrichor, that I enjoyed the most.

I lifted my head from his chest and looked up at his eyes. He knew I loved his eyes, though he claimed they were nothing worth admiring. Silly him. 

He met my gaze and smiled softly, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I returned the favor by taking off his glasses. He chuckled, knowing that I hated looking at his eyes when there were polycarbonate lenses in the way. He looked at me hesitantly as he reached for my own glasses. I never felt comfortable taking my glasses off, but for a man I've already torn down my walls for, I gave a slight nod. 

I saw the world blur and instinctively looked down. He waited patiently. 

I listened to the rain - liquid percussion that seemed to dance around us. The thunder rumbled softly in the background, and the wind was gentle. I looked up at his face again and waited a moment before I stood up and took his hand. He looked at me questioningly, but followed as I led him out on the front lawn, into the wind and the rain. I couldn't see a thing - my glasses were left on the patio and droplets of rain clung onto my eyelashes.

I giggled. It felt so surreal, standing out in a thunderstorm with blurry vision for no reason at all except that we could. He looked over at me, smiling brightly, and I continued to giggle at this arbitrary escape of reality. I twirled around, drunk on life, and fell to the grass like a giddy fool. I heard him laugh behind me and turned around to see him sitting on the lawn beside me.

My laughter subsided as I looked at his face - the only clear thing in the blurry world around me. He tilted his head, as if pondering what I was thinking. I simply smiled and held his hand, looking back at the grey world and listening to the rain. 

© 2014 Emma Claire


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

awsome writing. delightful read. wonderful descriptions and judicious choice of words.
loved it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"I listened to the rain - liquid percussion that seemed to dance around us." This was my favorite line. Very sweet and romantic. Enjoyed reading very much.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2014
Last Updated on April 12, 2014
Tags: short story, story, rain, thunder, love, eyes, trust

Author

Emma Claire
Emma Claire

NJ



About
I think a lot but I can't seem to get my thoughts out of my head. more..

Writing
Our song Our song

A Poem by Emma Claire