Grey's Echo: The End

Grey's Echo: The End

A Story by EddyBee
"

Judias Grey is an openly Gay Witch who has been living his Immortal life in NYC for the past five Centuries. After the death of a friend, new enemies arise to destroy Judias once and for all.

"

Greys Echo: The End

 

In a Wooden Cabin Outside of Mourningville: August  10th 2017 @ 01:40am:

Snow continued to fall from the gray clouds, fluttering down unto the quiet town like dead leaves falling off a tree branch during autumn.

Before the children of the town fell into their peaceful slumbers, they couldn't hide their excitement for the sight of a few flurries invading Mourningville. Most were excited at the thought of their school closing for the day, while others wondered if the total amount of snowfall would be enough to build snowmen in front of their houses.

The adults however didn't share the same sentiments as their children. They knew for every snowflake that fell onto the holy ground, the risk of potential damages to their crops increased rapidly.

The selling of Tomatoes, Cabbages, Green Peppers and Potatoes to various outside markets, were how most of the town made their living. Aside from the importation and exportation of church supplies: bibles and golden crucifixes, the town was also home to a huge tourist attraction-to which the mayor felt was disrespectful to the town’s faith.

 Naturally, the mayor disavowed any mention of Wiccan people, which was an idiotic thing to do since Mourningville’s history involved Wiccan people pouring their blood, sweat and tears into building the town from the ground up. Everyone who had a brain knew this and one person living in the town refused to have history rewritten to please those who were too blind in their faith to see the truth. Her name is Agatha Rizè.

Agatha gazed out of the window of her wooden cabin at the beautiful glowing lake known as Crescent Lake and she wondered just how long it would take for all the dead bodies she threw in there last week, to float back to the surface.

Many of the people in Mourningville viewed the silver long haired elderly woman as a ‘psycho’, ‘town loon’ and even ‘crazy old bat’, but the truth is Agatha was the former Sorceress of the Underworld, who lost her Immortality forty years ago and has decided to live her remaining days in the town she used to call home. In doing this, she decided to build a cabin that sat at the edge of town near the last remaining historical landmark that was not blocked by velvet ropes and didn’t require an admission fee to get in.

A familiar presence sent chills down Agatha’s back and she turned away from the window.

 In a bright yellow light a Hispanic, handsome and tall man appeared before her.

"Ah-"Agatha gasped with a smirk. "If it isn't my old friend, Dominic Shyler. I do hope you are not here for a little rendezvous, as you can see I'm feeling a bit under the weather."

Dominic straightened his posture and he hid his disgust as the elderly woman smiled widely at him revealing her yellow colored teeth, stained with dried blood. The woman's face had more wrinkles than a silk shirt unrolled from a ball, but he was used to her flirtatious ways.

He shuddered at the thought of them two getting physical and addressed her. "I came here to make sure the box had been destroyed." Dominic stated placing his hands behind his back.

The handsome, mature man stood firm and straight reminding Agatha of a Mortal she met in 1942 in the classic and rich outskirts of New York City. He was an American soldier but there was a lot more to him than his ability to fight in a war if prompted.

Agatha's wide smile turned into a satisfied smirk, "I never knew you to be quite caring for something that does not belong to you."

"As I remember correctly Agatha, the box never belonged to you either." He paused when Agatha opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Her glare caused Dominic to continue. "I had a dream last night-"

"Did I pay you a visit?" she interrupted with a seductive wink.

"In the dream-" he continued as he ignored the question. "I saw the world falling apart. I could smell burning flesh; I could see blood everywhere. Then out of the blinding ash I could see…I could see the box on the ground...it was opened."

The revisiting of the dream caused Dominic to choke up. The dream felt very realistic even for him to handle and he knew it meant something tragic was going to take place. He didn’t know when or where, but based on the bone chilling nightmare he had; he knew it was going to be soon.

"I assure you Dominic. Just as my heart is black and my soul is impure. The box is destroyed and it will not cause harm to anyone." She flashed him another smile.

Being the former Sorceress of the Underworld meant Agatha had to do evil things to Witches, Warlocks, Wizards, Angels, Demonic Angels and even Mortals. She devoured over thirty-six children during 1690 A.D, which caused her to remain youthful and radiant-well at least during that Century; all while she murdered their parents and killed those she didn't need. However, Dominic knew one thing remained true about her; and that was the fact she never told a lie.

He nodded at her words and returned the smile. "It was probably just-“.

Agatha raised her left hand, which caused Dominic to stop speaking. She felt a strange sensation tickle her spine, it was something she had never felt before, someone was coming, someone...powerful. She quickly ran over to the window and noticed it was no longer snowing but raining black ash.

"What's wrong?" Dominic asked nervously.

Without taking her eyes away from the window she muttered, "You need to leave now."

"Leave?" Dominic asked in shock that she would suggest that notion. "No, I'm not leaving until you tell me what's going on!"

In a black smoky light, a Demonic creature appeared before him. The creature stood no taller than six feet, its eyes were as dark as ebony and its face charred, battered and bloodied. There was no visible nose on its face or a pair of lips on its mouth, just teeth, sharp, crooked and deadly teeth.

Dominic froze in both fear and fascination. He had heard many stories growing up about this creature-an individual who roamed the Earth shape shifting as both this hideous monster and a Mortal- and to see one in person, it really shocked him.

"Dominic you must go!" Agatha shouted, as her eyes lay fixed out of the window and her tone assertive.

The middle-aged man closed his eyes to disappear unfortunately the creature grabbed him by the neck, viciously. Dominic tried to fight the creature's razor sharp claws currently digging into his neck drawing a small amount of blood; but it was to no avail. The creature growled and whispered, "Canutus".

The words echoed through Agatha's mind and she bowed her head in remorse. Dominic didn't understand the word; he didn't understand what it meant.

He opened his right hand causing a black orb to appear in his palm. The grip of the creature's claws in his neck caused him to wince in pain; he tried desperately to breathe through his nose as the creature tightened its grip.

Without a second to think, the creature squeezed Dominic's neck with extreme force causing it to break with a simple snap. He let out his final breath as the orb in his palm disappeared and his body went limp.

The creature threw Dominic's lifeless body across the room and with a loud thud the handsome man’s corpse landed a few feet away from Agatha's feet

She straightened her posture as she felt the creature come closer to her.

"If you are looking for the key you are too late. It is gone." She stated staring into the glowing lake.

"The key is not of my concern Sorceress. You know exactly why I am here." The creature stated with a growl following the last word. It crept slowly toward the elderly woman and leaned forward whispering in her left ear.

"Canutus" It repeated with pleasure.

Agatha knew exactly what the creature wanted, but she wasn't going to give in to its demand; not now and not ever! Even with death looming just seconds away, she wasn't going to give in.

She turned around and stared right into the creature's soulless eyes. Something felt familiar about it, something she couldn't remember clearly.

"Canutus!"

Agatha waved her right hand and in a red fiery light, the wooden jewelry box on her dresser disappeared.

The creature hissed loudly and she slapped it across the face not only silencing it, but also enraging it.

"Ca...nu...tus" it repeated slowly.

Agatha arched her right eyebrow and gave the creature a taunting smile. "Screw you."

The creature angrily omitted a high-pitched growl.

She turned around and faced the window for one last time.

The snow was no longer falling, only black ash rained down onto the holy town that is Mourningville. The citizens no longer had to worry about their crops drowned out with snow and the children no longer had to anticipate the closing of their schools.

Agatha knew what awaited her next. She smiled at the beautiful, peaceful and glowing lake as she said softly, "My death...is just the beginning."

The creature roughly inserted both its razor sharp claws into Agatha's back. A smile slowly appeared on her face when the creature's claws emerged through her chest. She saw her blood dripping through its sharp claws and she smelled the sweet aroma of brimstone. She closed her eyes as she felt the blood spilling from the wounds. No worries rushed into her mind because she knew with the last breath she took, everything in the world was going to change, for both, good and evil.


II

Two Hours Later: 3:40am:

The streets of New York City were not as packed as Judias Grey thought it would be, considering it was Saturday morning.

He wasn’t sure if it had something to do with the pending rainstorm approaching the city or the fact the Night Life wasn’t as fabulous as it once was.

Either way, the 27 year old was grateful it was only him walking through the dark empty streets of Hell’s Kitchen.

The curly haired male felt the right pocket of his jeans vibrate and he took out his cellphone to see the name ‘Haneltha’ on the screen.

 “Oh God.” He stated rolling his eyes. He swiped the screen to the left causing the call to go straight to voicemail and placed the phone back in his pocket, making it obvious that he really didn’t want to speak to her. He was sure she was going to ask questions about his ex-boyfriend Marco, and those were questions he didn’t want to answer. She also was the last person on his mind; he was keeping focus on another woman and her name was Diana Linx.

Diana was a twenty three year old student from Michigan who visited New York City ten days ago with her family and went missing. While police officers and FBI agents canvassed nightclubs, drug houses, bars and the local rivers, Judias had a feeling he knew where she was. The problem? He couldn’t tell the local authorities because it would put them all in danger; so he took the initiative to find her, himself.

Judias isn’t like most Gay twenty seven year olds living in the Big Apple. Sure he spends time binge watching various shows on Netflix, writes poetry and spends his free time on the dating app Tinderdate; but he’s also a certified Private Investigator with his own office near the Hudson River. There is also something about Judias that not many people knew and that’s the fact he’s a Witch!

Now, how is he a Witch and not a Warlock? Well, Judias (Ju*Die*Us) is a Male Witch because his father was one. Witches in common literature are perceived to be women, while men are seen as Wizards or Warlocks but that isn’t the case in many situations, including this one.

Wizards in the Magic Realm are not born with Witchcraft in their blood; they instead get their powers from a Magic Wand or by studying Magic. Whereas Warlocks are Evil Beings who use the powers, they already possess, to destroy other Magical Beings. Witches on the other hand inherit their powers from their family lineage. It’s a common mistake Judias had to deal with many times in the past.

“N-No! Get off me! N-AGH!” A scream rung out through the night and it caused Judias to run into a nearby alleyway where he found a homeless man lying dead on the floor. He had blood pouring from a bite wound on his neck and standing over his lifeless body was a blonde woman.

“Diana?” Judias’ soft voice asked with a hint of curiosity.

The blonde woman slowly turned around to face the Witch. Her eyes were as black as coal; her pearly white teeth were now razor sharp fangs and fresh blood dripped from the corners of her mouth.

Judias slowly backed away as the woman walked toward him growling.

Okay Jude. Do we have a Plan B? He thought to himself as Diana opened her mouth and lunged at him.

“Crap!” Judias swung his right arm in panic and telekinetically sent Diana flying into a nearby dumpster. He had hoped she would fall to the ground and give him enough time to come up with a Plan B, but that was impossible as she quickly jumped to her feet as if she was a villain from a Horror film.

“Okay phase two!” Judias inhaled deeply and he let out a loud Ultrasonic high pitch scream causing Diana to clench her ears in pain as a sharp noise echoed through her brain and she fell to her knees screaming in agony.

The screams came to a stop as Judias closed his mouth, he ran over to Diana still reeling in pain and he pulled out a small clear vial from the left pocket of his jeans. The vial contained pink liquid that glistened in the dimly lit alleyway. He uncorked the top shuddering at the scent of garlic that emitted from it and poured the liquid into Diana’s mouth emptying the entire vial.

“No-Nah!!” Diana started to shake violently as if she was having a seizure. Judias glanced over at the dead male- although he could’ve healed him, the man was already dead and there was no way a Witch could heal the dead; without turning them into zombies of course.  

Diana continued to scream aloud as she shook violently, Judias watched as her eyes turned from Ebony to Emerald green and her teeth turned from razor sharp fangs to regular human sized teeth.

“Oh thank God the potion worked.” He sighed in relief.

Based on the research he did, he wasn’t entirely sure the potion to cure Vampirism would actually work since it had never been done before. Considering Diana wasn’t a vampire for more than a week, he knew there was a fifty-fifty chance it would.

Diana looked at Judias standing over her and she looked around the alleyway in confusion. “Wh-What…what happened? Where am I?”

Just as Judias opened his mouth to answer the question he heard police sirens from the distance, although he called them minutes prior from heading to the alleyway, he didn’t think it would take them longer than it did to arrive. 

Judias flashed Diana a smile and in a purple light, he disappeared from the alleyway leaving her dazed and alone. She tried to make sense of what she just witnessed but it was too much for her and she fainted, just as the police cars pulled into the alleyway. None of the officers knew that they were seconds away from finding the missing Michigan girl; alive and well.

 

 

On The 3rd Floor of An Office Space:

Judias appeared in a purple light inside of his P.I office. He tiredly walked over to his desk and turned on the police scanner he stole many years ago from a nearby precinct.

“This is Officer Diaz, We found Diana Linx.”A male voice stated.

“The missing girl from Michigan?” One of the voices on the scanner asked.

“Yes! She’s here in Hell’s Kitchen in a nearby alleyway. She seems to have been dropped off here. But there is a body. Looks like a nearby hobo.”

“Alright. I’ll send a bus your way and I’ll inform the parents of her safe return.”

Judias turned the scanner off as he let out a sigh of relief.

He took a huge risk going after a hunch that Diana was possibly turned into a vampire, but in this Realm he learned to expect the unexpected, that and he was investigating a ring of Vampires kidnapping tourists and turning them. He thanked the Magic God that she didn’t feed on anyone long enough to permanently stay that way.

THUD!

The Witch flinched as he heard a loud crashing sound followed by the grunt of a man, just outside of his office door.

“What the hell?” If there was another thing he learned from this Realm, was to be prepared when dealing with the unexpected.

Judias let out a small sigh as he made his way toward the metallic door. There were many thoughts rushing into his mind all at once. The images of whatever was responsible for that noise for starters included Ogres, or a robber or even a cannibalistic monster-all the Magical Beings Judias had battled before.

The Witch swung his right hand causing the latches of the metallic door to slide open and he exited the office to find a man struggling to stand on his feet in the hallway.

The man looked no older than thirty. He had short black hair and scruffy facial hair, but Judias’ attention went straight to the sword lying next to him. He wore a gold and black leather vest, black leather pants, a white t-shirt stained with blood and on his feet was a pair of black boots; similar to what a Knight in the Magic Realm would wear.

Judias bent down beside the man and the mysterious man’s right hand was covering a wound on the right side of his hip.

“A-are you Judias Grey?” the man asked clenching his teeth in pain.

Judias nodded and he looked at the man’s deadly wound. The Witch recognized it quickly as a puncture wound, but the skin surrounding the wound was starting to turn an Emerald green. The man was clenching every second in pain because he was poisoned and slowly dying.

 

 

III

The man’s height was 6 feet as Judias calculated when he helped him to his feet and brought him inside of his office. His olive skin was drenched with sweat, as the Witch knew it meant the poison was taking effect quickly.

Judias walked out of the kitchen holding a small potion vial filled with neon yellow liquid. The mysterious man was seated on Judias’ black and red leather sofa; he didn’t have a shirt on because the Witch needed to see the wound a little more clearer.

The man’s chest had some hair on it. His physique wasn’t as athletic as most of the Knights were. He didn’t have muscles or six pack abs to show off his vanity and brute might. Instead, the man’s body was about average, he wasn’t thick or skinny and he didn’t mind-and neither did any of the single men and women in the Magic Realm who vied for his attention.

The man looked up at Judias as he was handed the vial. “Here, drink this.”

“No” the man dismissed as he sat up clenching the wound painfully. “I-I have healing abilities that will work. I-I j-just need to rest a little while longer.”

“You said that already twenty minutes ago. Your abilities are not going to work because you weren’t wounded by a regular Silver dagger. You instead were wounded by a Dagger laced with poison. Although you are Immortal-as I’m assuming most Knights are nowadays- your ability to heal will be delayed while it fights off the poison. It might take months or years, but while your body weens the poison out, it will make you susceptible to any attack if the person or persons who did this to you, return to finish the job.”

The man didn’t know about the poison affecting his powers because he had never been poisoned before and he never cared about it either because he felt the day he would ever get poisoned wouldn’t happen…clearly he was wrong.

Judias saw how hesitant the man was toward the potion and he let out a deep sigh. “Look, this isn’t some Hocus Pocus crap. Yes I’m a Witch and I think you knew that or else you wouldn’t be here. And I also know you wouldn’t be here if you thought like your other friends in the Magic Realm and viewed me as a threat.” He once again handed the man the vial and smiled sincerely. “Drink the damn potion so you can stop bleeding all over my office.”

The man nodded. He took the vial and sniffed the contents; the aroma was strong and bitter. It smelled like weeks old milk fused with rotten eggs.

Judias watched the disgusted face the man made, “It’s an Antidote not coffee. It’s not meant to appeal to your senses. Drink it now before the poison spreads anywhere else.”

The man once again nodded. He slowly brought the vial to his lips and with a quick movement; he swallowed the liquid as if he was taking a Jello shot at the local bar.

He handed Judias the empty vial and he looked down at his wound to watch as it healed in a purple light. Any pain the man felt was gone the second the puncture wound closed and he couldn’t believe how fast the potion worked, meanwhile Judias couldn’t believe the potion actually worked.

“Wow! The potion did work.” The Witch said in amazement.

The man shot the Witch a confused stare, “Why are you shocked? Didn’t you make this?”

Judias nodded his head happily. “Yeah, but I haven’t created this potion in so long I thought it was Beetle Blood needed for the ingredient but instead it was Beetle legs.”

“Bleh” The man clenched his stomach trying to hold down the breakfast he had earlier and Judias laughed and grabbed the empty vial. “You’re welcome by the way. Now, who the hell are you and why are you here?”

The man felt like himself so he wasted no time by jumping to his feet. “My name is Nathaniel Echoes and I am a Knight from the Magic Realm.”

“You’re a little far away from home. Well, actually a Realm away from home.” Judias walked away from Nathaniel and headed into the open kitchen area. Nathaniel grabbed his white blood stained shirt and followed the Witch. “I know I am. I was actually visiting Agatha a while ago.”

“Ah! How is that old broad?” Judias asked as he turned on the water faucet. “Still trying to seduce the Volunteer Guardians again?” he asked smiling and remembering how flirtatious the former Sorceress was towards any man that she laid her eyes on.

Nathaniel looked down at his feet and shook his head. “Agatha’s dead.”

As soon as the words came out of his mouth, Nathaniel heard them and realized they weren’t as comforting as he had hoped they would be; especially if Agatha and Judias were friends. He wanted to apologize but Judias quickly turned to face the Knight.

“Are you serious?”

Nathaniel nodded slowly. “I’m afraid so.”

“Did you see her body? Because she pretended to be dead in 1526 to avoid marrying the mayor of Sandstown’s son.”

Nathaniel had many questions about that one sentence but it wasn’t the time or place. He instead shook his head once again sadly. “I’m one hundred percent sure she’s dead. I went to visit her because a letter was delivered to my door but when I got to her cabin I was ambushed by Demons.”

“Hellmouth Demons or Underworld Demons?”

Nathaniel lowered his eyebrows. “What’s the difference?”

Judias placed the empty potion vial under the running water and he cleared his throat mentally preparing to explain the difference to the clearly ill-informed Knight. “Hellmouth Demons are scary monsters who literally live in Hell and Underworld Demons are basically humans that you would find at a cheap Motorcycle bar. Leather S&M outfits, bad haircuts and stuck in the eighties. They live in the Underworld- basically a gloomy version of our cities and every so often they come onto land to wreak havoc in either the Mortal or Magic Realm.”

Nathaniel thought about the attack and the man who stabbed him from behind. “Underworld Demon.”

Judias nodded his head, walked out of the kitchen and made his way toward his office space, as Nathaniel followed behind him.

The office space consisted of a large metallic desk, a bulletin board stood in the far right corner and it had pictures of various people on it, along with a large metallic file cabinet and a black cauldron that stood in the back of the office. There was a balcony door which led out to what Nathaniel would assume was obviously a balcony that overlooked the Hudson River.

“I don’t want to sound rude or nosy but…what is it that you do here exactly?” Nathaniel asked trying to come up with his own conclusions but based on the pictures of missing people on the bulletin, the black cauldron in the back of the office and a huge head to toe mirror hanging on the sidewall; Nathaniel’s first thoughts went straight to ‘Witch Assassin’.

Judias walked over to the metal file cabinet and pulled the second drawer open. “Are you familiar with the Magic Blood Wars of 1308?”

The man stood quiet for a second as he had flashbacks of his days in Magic School and the history class he took while there. “A little. It was a war fought between the Magic and Shadow Realm…uh according to the books, the Shadow Realm was defeated and out of fear many people from the Magic Realm fled and migrated to the Mortal Realm.”

Judias stopped what he was doing and gave the Knight a nod as if Nathaniel was a child and he was congratulating him.

“Exactly. Well, most of those Magical Beings decided to migrate to cities built on top of Magical burial grounds. Those cities included San Francisco, Salem, Los Angeles, Toronto and New York City. I moved here to be free of Magic but I was blind in my ignorance and reminded that Magic is in my blood and like a stalker ex-boyfriend…I can never outrun it. So instead of hiding away, I decided to build a P.I firm to help Magical Beings cope with living in this Realm, except the Mortals assume it’s some kind of office for Immigration…I mean technically they’re not wrong.”

“So, basically you’re like Sherlock Holmes?”

Judias smirked at the question. “If Sherlock Holmes was a Witch who could burst a Demon’s eardrums open with a single scream, hurl someone with telekinesis and was Immortal; then yeah sure.”

The Knight looked around the office and he couldn’t find something. Judias noticed his confused reaction. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh I was trying to find your broomstick. Don’t all Witches have one to travel?”

“Ah a stereotype.” Judias replied smirking. “No I don’t use brooms to travel. I have the power to teleport or shimmer places. Besides,  I could think of many other things to ride than a dusty old broomstick.”

Nathaniel nodded his head, licked his lips smiling and watched as Judias pulled out a picture from the filing drawer. “Is this the guy that stabbed you?” He showed a picture of a blonde man with blue eyes and scruffy facial hair.

The Knight’s eyes widened in excitement and anger, “That’s him!”

Judias nodded his head, “Yep that’s Balker. He’s a level one Demon nothing to worry about but he isn’t really keen on using poison daggers. He must be teaming up with someone.”

THUD!

Both men flinched as the balcony door flew open and a gust of wind entered the office blowing a few papers off Judias’ desk.

“Sorry about that.” Judias said running over to the door. “Been meaning to find a decent repair guy to fix this door…along with everything else in this place.”

Nathaniel nodded his head and he looked around admiring the office. “This entire building is yours?”

Judias nodded closing the balcony door. He tightened the hatch and turned around to face Nathaniel. “It was an abandoned warehouse. Been this way for decades. I saved enough money and brought a few of the properties by the River. No one ever comes down here…except maybe Mobsters, psychos and prostitutes; but I’ve managed to keep this place safe from any Evil that seems to find me. I turned the second floor into a twelve bedroom apartment just in case any Magical Beings need a place to crash.”

Nathaniel had to admit; when he first met Judias he was expecting to find an angry and vengeful Witch. Not a headstrong, sweet, trusting and creative one.

Judias bent down to pick up the sheets of paper that fell on the ground and within a second, the balcony door swung open again.

“Seriously?!”

Nathaniel smirked as he bent down to pick up the papers and Judias once again approached the door to close it. He paused for a second as he saw something that he didn’t expect to see so soon. “Snow?” he asked in confusion as the gust of wind blew in a few snowflakes.

“Is snow uncommon in this City?” Nathaniel asked placing the papers in a neat stack on top of Judias’ desk.

“It is in the middle of August.” Judias closed the balcony door once again and he locked it. He saw a flake land on his right hand and noticed it didn’t melt.

“What the hell-“ He wiped the snowflake off and saw that it left a black residue on his fingers. “Ash?” he found himself asking.

Nathaniel lowered his eyebrows shaking his head. “Now I may not be familiar with this City, but I’m pretty sure, ash falling from the sky is not common.”

In a black smoky light, a strange creature appeared before Nathaniel. “Canutus”, it growled.

Nathaniel quickly opened his right hand causing a Blue Plasmaball to float over his palm. “What the hell are you?”

The creature didn’t waste any time and it didn’t bother to answer the question asked. Instead, it slapped Nathaniel with extreme force causing him to fly across the room, crashing head first into a glass door that led into a small library.

Judias turned around quickly and he watched as the Creature turned to face him slowly and he let out a small gasp.

The creature had no lips just yellow stained razor sharp teeth. No pupils, just Ebony eyes and slimy gray skin. Its claws were as sharp as knives and dried blood stained the tip of it. “Canutus?” It growled making its way towards the Witch.

“Eh, not today!” Judias swung his right arm in hopes of hurling the creature telekinetically across the room…but nothing happened.

The creature hissed lowly and began to stagger towards him.

“Ooh okay well that’s not good.” Judias watched as Nathaniel slowly got up from the ground as his cuts and scrapes healed in a blue light. “Cover your ears!” He shouted and Nathaniel confusingly did as told.

Judias glared at the creature and he opened his mouth once again omitting his supersonic high pitch scream. The creature let out a sharp growl as it fell to its knees clenching its ears in pain. Judias stopped screaming and he watched as the creature rose up to its feet quickly, unleashed a loud roar and rose its right claw up. “Canutus!”

“NO!” Nathaniel waved his right hand at Judias and in a blue light, the Witch disappeared from the office, causing the creature to once again growl in anger.

 

Outside of the Building:

In a blue light Judias appeared outside of the office, he looked around in confusion, as he was one hundred percent positive he didn’t teleport himself outside. Just as he was about to move, in a black smoky light the creature appeared before him and slapped him across the face causing Judias to fall unto his back. “Ugh!” He grunted as his back hit the cement ground.

The creature bent over him and its black eyes stared blankly into Judias’.

Canutus… Two hearts once one are no more.” The creature’s words sent chills down the Witch’s spine. It was cold, familiar, soft and yet horrific at the same time.

“Wh-who are you?” Judias asked staring into the creature’s dark eyes.

You know who I am. You know what I am. The question should be, who are you?” The creature lifted its right claw with the intention of stabbing Judias with it, until Nathaniel appeared behind it in a blue light tightly holding a sword in his hands. He swiftly swung the sword decapitating the creature with brute force and ease.

The headless body of the creature fell to the ground and Nathaniel extended his right hand toward Judias as green blood dripped off the tip of the sword.

Judias grabbed his hand and stood up to his feet. He looked down at the creature’s body and watched in confusion as the creature’s remains turned into a naked human male. The decapitated head also transformed into an older man in his late forties.

“Are you alright?” Nathaniel asked taking his hand back.

Judias nodded and he looked down at the body.

Nathaniel took out a handkerchief from his black leather jacket and wiped the blood from the sword. “I have heard stories about these creatures. They are Mortals who were cursed by the Underworld to roam the Realms as a monster. They are hired by Sorcerers or any Magical Being for that matter, to assassinate someone.”

Judias didn’t pay any mind to what the Knight was saying. He was too busy looking at the remains on the ground to care. Nathaniel noticed the Witch’s demeanor changed and he stopped cleaning the sword and looked at him. “You knew him?”

The Witch nodded his head slowly. “Yeah he…was…my brother, Jonah Grey.”

Nathaniel’s heart skipped a beat and he looked down in regret, “I am so sorry. If I knew that, I would’ve stunned him so we could’ve found a cure or-“

“No.” Judias replied back as he looked at him. “None of us knew. But you’re right. These creatures are the Underworld’s assassins. My brother was in that creature’s body, but even with all the powers he possessed, he was not going to return to his normal state. He was already dead. Besides, he was sent here to kill me.”

The words caught Nathaniel completely off guard and he looked at Judias as if he had grown three heads. “Who would hire him to assassinate you?”

“The same person who has wanted me dead for centuries.” The Witch let out a sigh of frustration and he met Nathaniel’s gaze. “My father.”

 

 

 


END.

 

 


Grey’s Echo: The Beginning

Judias’ Office: An hour later:

Nathaniel Echoes watched from the kitchen window as two men dressed in black suits covered the remains of Jonah Grey with a black tarp. 

He was still trying to piece together everything that happened within the past five hours. From Agatha’s death, to being poisoned by an Underworld Demon, to meeting Judias and then finding out Jonah-Judias’ brother- was hired to assassinate the Witch by his own father! This was something Nathaniel would see in a television show rather than experience it in real life. 

“Nathaniel, what the hell are you doing here?” a voice asked causing the Knight to let out a deep sigh of frustration. He turned on his heels to find a forty eight year old well-dressed man enter the office.

King Leon of the Magic Realm wasn’t dressed in a King’s cape or wore a golden crown upon his head. Instead, he wore a form fitting black suit and tie, his salt-pepper colored hair was combed to the back of his head, and his Emerald eyes glared at the Knight.

“Dad-“ Nathaniel sighed, “-I told you I was helping someone.”

“And that someone happened to be a Witch? Not just a Witch but a Goddamn Grey?” King Leon tried his hardest to calm himself down but he was on unfamiliar territory and that territory belonged to Judias Grey. “Are you trying to get yourself killed?”

“He doesn’t want to kill me.”

“Not yet at least.”

Nathaniel shook his head at his father. “Are you kidding me with this? If he wanted me dead he wouldn’t have given me the antidote after I showed up on his doorstep poisoned.”

The King’s eyes widened at the words that just came out of his son’s mouth. “You were poisoned? By whom?”

“An Underworld Demon. Judias knows him and he’s going to vanquish him later.”

King Leon let out a loud chuckle, “Of course he does son, he’s a Witch. All Witches know Demonic Beings, as they are from the depths of Hell.”

“Judias isn’t like that.” Nathaniel stated in a calming tone that had little hints of rage behind every word, but it was said in a tone that didn’t show he was being disrespectful toward his father.

“Did he put a spell on you? Are you blind to the fact he is a Witch?”

“He is a Magical Being and when I took the oath to become a Knight, I swore to protect all Magical Beings. Including Witches.”

The King shook his head and threw his arms up in the air in defeat. “It’s official. You lost it.”

“I didn’t lose anything, dad. You and mom raised me to look at other Magical Beings with an open heart and mind and I plan to do just that with Judias. Yes, he may be a Witch but he’s in trouble. As you saw downstairs, that was his brother lying dead on the ground. And he was sent here to kill him by his father. Not to mention a few hours ago, Agatha was murdered and she was the last living friend he had. So please forgive me if I’m not seeing him as some green skinned monster, but as an actual Magical Being that needs my help.”

As much as King Leon hated to admit it, Nathaniel was right.

Being a Knight of the Magic Realm meant Nathaniel was chosen to protect all Magical Beings who were in trouble. In this case, that was Judias. But King Leon didn’t want to hear that excuse and he sure as hell didn’t want to look at Judias as someone to feel pity toward.

He cleared his throat and stood firm and straight placing his arms behind his back. “You are right son and I would never dictate who you should protect. Magical Beings need to always see each other as equals and never seek to hate one another because of differences or class…Unfortunately, Judias is a Witch who had decided five Centuries ago to abandon his home in the Magic Realm, to live his life here amongst the Mortals. I cannot and will not stand for you to waste another second protecting a traitor.”

The King walked over to the door of the office and turned around one last time to look at his son, “I am heading back to our Realm to investigate the remains of both Jonah and Agatha. At Noon, I am sending Valerius to retrieve you. You are to return back to the Magic Realm with Valerius, no excuses.”

Before Nathaniel could open his mouth to get a word in, his father disappeared in a dark blue light.

“Son of a-!” Nathaniel could feel the rage inside of him build up. His Hazel eyes turned crimson red. He felt his blood boil, he felt this heart beat faster than normal and he wanted to punch his fists through the wall but in the Knight’s mind, he heard humming. It was a soft hum that he had heard many times whenever he felt his rage get the best of him, he wasn’t sure if it was from his childhood or maybe he heard the song from a movie. Either way, the humming tune was there for him in times he felt he was going to lose all control. He exhaled and his eyes returned to their Hazel color.

Nathaniel let out a sigh and he looked over at the balcony to find Judias leaning on the railing, sipping coffee and watching as the sun was about to rise.

The Knight walked out of the living room and made his way toward the balcony door. Without facing Nathaniel, Judias took another sip of coffee and swallowed it. “I didn’t know you were royalty.” He turned to look at Nathaniel and smirked. “Forgive me if I’m not bowing down to your feet and worshipping the ground you walk on.”

“I would never ask for you to do that. Remember I introduced myself to you as a Knight, because that’s who I am. The Prince title was never for me. I would rather be front and center helping other Magical Beings, than protected in a castle.” Nathaniel stated.

Judias shrugged his shoulders and looked back at the dark sky. “According to your father, I’m seen as a threat to your wellbeing. I wouldn’t want you to protect me if you view me as he does.”

Nathaniel’s heart skipped a beat. He and King Leon were speaking in such a low tone because he didn’t want to insult the Witch, but clearly that was a waste of time.

The Knight rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, “You have very good hearing I see.”

“No.” Judias stated walking away from the balcony. “You two talk really loud.”

Judias walked back into the office and Nathaniel hummed the song once again in his mind, allowing himself a few seconds to calm down the fire he could feel burning inside of him. He let out a deep sigh and reentered the office.

“You must understand Judias, my father is from a different time. A different Century. When he was growing up, Witches were seen as the enemy. They were killing people of all ages, race, species, backgrounds etcetera. You have to forgive him for being a bit ignorant toward you. He just needs time.”

Judias placed the mug on his desk and he faced Nathaniel letting out a small chuckle. “It’s funny because I left the Magic Realm five centuries ago to avoid any more of the constant stares and the whispers I would hear every time I pass by a group of elderly Magical Beings. It wasn’t until I reached my teenage years that I realized, they were judging me because of my mother. A man-eating Siren. A Siren that sacrificed herself to give birth to me.”

No textbooks would’ve prepared Nathaniel for that revelation. He had heard many stories of Witches falling in love with Mortals, Warlocks and other Witches, but he had never heard of a Witch falling in love with a Siren. He couldn’t imagine how judgmental others must’ve been toward the Grey Family.

Witches mating with other beings not Magical were frowned upon by the Council of Magical Elders and even by others in the Magic Realm- but it wasn’t rare. Nathaniel couldn’t help but wonder how Judias must’ve been treated when some of the Magical Beings found out he was Gay, strangely Homosexuality isn’t accepted in many Magical Cultures; yet once again it wasn’t rare. Magical Beings are discriminated against in many ways than imagined, yet most of that discrimination comes from within the community. Pathetic right?

 “That’s why I came here to this Realm. A Realm where I could start over. I could find something that I feel like I’ve lost centuries ago. To try to remember something I know I forgot…But no one here hates me because I’m a Witch. No. Over here I’m judged solely on being Gay.” Judias smiled shaking his head. “I’m not sure if that’s ironic or sad.”

 “Can I ask you something?” Nathaniel asked.

Judias nodded his head as he walked over to the balcony door and closed it. “Sure shoot.”

“Why would your father want to kill you?”

That wasn’t a hard question to answer…well to Judias it might have been. There were a million reasons as to why his father would want him dead. “Please, refer to him as Rickasè. That’s his name…I don’t know to be honest. He was hardly around and when he was, he used his powers to steal, seduce women, torture animals and scare the local neighbors. He and I barely spoke.”

“Did he help train you with your powers atleast?”

Judias shrugged his shoulders. “No. Jonah did. Rickasè wasn’t present in my life much. But Jonah moved away and started a family of his own in a new town…Yet Rickasè was still around whenever he chose… I think he secretly blamed me for my mother’s death…Which was weird since many Sirens are Immortal.”

Nathaniel nodded his head, “May I ask how did you find out you were Immortal?”

Judias smiled. He felt as if this was a free therapy session and all that was missing was the long therapy couch and unwanted small talk. “I actually don’t know. All I remember was being beaten to death at an alleyway somewhere in the Magic Realm in 1517. I…woke up and I was at Agatha’s house. She helped me heal and explained how important it was that I move to the Mortal Realm. Since I already had that thought in my mind, with my mom being dead and no one left to care for, I decided to make the move.”

“So…you never casted a spell? Or had your brother do it?”

Judias rolled his eyes at what Nathaniel was implying. “I assure you, I did not cast a spell to be Immortal and I sure as hell didn’t plan on it. As I said, I was attacked and that’s how I found out. If I did cast a spell, the Council of Magical Elders would’ve been breathing down my neck by now.”

It’s true. King Leon may rule the Magical Kingdom of Sandsville with an iron fist but at the end of the day, The Council of Magical Elders is who really keeps law and order in the Magic Realm.

They have rules set forth for Magical Beings to follow and when someone does not follow those rules, they are met with consequences that can either destroy them or get their powers taken away and be banished from the Magic Realm for all eternity.

Considering Judias was standing before Nathaniel in good health and still with his powers, it was evident that the Witch wasn’t doing anything illegal.

Judias could feel there was an awkward silence falling upon them and he opened his mouth to change the subject but Nathaniel interjected, “I don’t want to sound insensitive but you need to come back to the Magic Realm with me.”

Judias glared at Nathaniel as if he lost his mind and within a second, he let out a laugh as if the Knight had made a joke. “Yeah that isn’t going to happen.”

Nathaniel sighed, “This isn’t the right time to be stubborn. Your brother was sent here to kill you by your father! Should I put the pieces together for you to realize how insane it is for you to stay here?”

“For your information Prince Nathaniel, this is my home! This is where I’ve survived five hundred New Year’s and where I watched the Gay Rights movement happen-even participated in a few events. Now I’m not saying I got arrested but I’m not saying I didn’t.” He giggled and gave Nathaniel a wink in hopes the Knight would join in the joke but sadly, he didn’t. He just glared at the Witch and crossed his arms across his chest showing how assertive he was being.

“This isn’t up for debate. You are coming back to the Magic Realm with me whether you’re kicking or screaming or�"“

In a white smoky light both Judias and Nathaniel disappeared from the office space.

 

 

II

Somewhere:

Judias and Nathaniel appeared in the middle of a spacious loft apartment.

The loft’s décor consisted of Gothic furniture and Gothic era paintings of various figures hung up on the brick walls. There was not a television screen located anywhere in the room, just millions of books neatly stacked on a wooden bookshelf decorated involuntarily with cobwebs, a large table stood in a room that should’ve been the living room and on the table laid a large black cauldron, empty potion vials and a few knives.

Both men exchanged looks with one another unaware of how they got there or where they were.

“Did you bring us here?” Judias asked causing Nathaniel to shake his head quickly.

“I don’t even know what this place is.” The Knight looked around nervously. “It looks like a torture chamber.”

“It’s a Witch’s House.” Judias replied.

Nathaniel’s eyebrows lowered as he glanced at the Witch, “Who the hell would live here?”

“Me.” A voice softly spoke out causing both men to turn around.

Standing before them was Agatha, dressed in a white Heavenly gown and her grey hair flowing behind her like ripples in the ocean.

Nathaniel couldn’t believe his eyes. He had heard of Magical Beings coming back as Ghosts but he had never seen one in person before.

Judias however wasn’t shocked by the sight of the deceased woman’s Ghost before them. “Agatha, what are you doing here?”

The Heavenly Sorceress smiled as she looked at both men. “As you know Judias, I am only given a few minutes to say my peace before I move on, so I need to make this quick…I’m sure by now you know that your fatherr, Rickasè is trying to kill you.”

Judias nodded and rolled his eyes, “Tell him to pick a number and get on line. Besides, I can handle him.”

“Actually I’m afraid you might not be able to. Are you familiar with the Imp Potion?”

Nathaniel looked at the Witch in confusion. If he was asked about wars, football games, Magical weaponry and the History of the Echoes family, Nathaniel would tell you everything you needed to know in seconds; but when it came to potions and anything to do with Witchcraft; he was just as clueless as a Heterosexual male watching RuPaul’s Drag Race for the first time.

“The Imp Potion?” Judias asked in disbelief, “How the hell did his grubby hands get that?”

Agatha looked down remorsefully making it obvious she was the reason he obtained it. Nathaniel interjected quickly before anyone could speak, “What is an Imp Potion?”

“The Imp Potion-“ Judias began. “Is a potion designed to destroy an Immortal. It strips the victim of their Immortality and poisons them. Their death is painful and only lasts three seconds.”

Nathaniel’s heart skipped a beat as the news resonated in his mind.

Agatha looked back up at Judias and met his gaze. “I didn’t think he would stoop so low. But now that I’m dead, you are vulnerable to his attacks especially since the charm I put on you to cloak your scent from him is no longer active.”

Agatha’s words caused Nathaniel to let out a sigh of frustration and he looked at Judias in concern. “This is why we have to move you back to the Magic Realm immediately.”

“No need.” Agatha replied softly catching the Knight’s attention. “This loft we’re in is actually in the Magic Realm. I’ve purchased it years ago and I hardly needed to visit here since I became Mortal. It’s cloaked from beings of both the Magic and Shadow Realm, so you’ll be safe living here for as long as you need. There’s a portal located in the back closet that will take you to any Realm you need to go.”

“And where are we exactly?” Judias asked slowly.

“Midstonia.” She answered.

Midstonia is quite similar to New York City. They have a Mayor, City Hall, skyscrapers, laws, a nightlife, businesses-all owned and created by Magical Beings-, playgrounds, museums, schools and parks. The only difference between Midstonia and New York City is the fact Magical Beings can live out in the open without the fear of persecution from others based on who they are.

Ogres, Witches, Vampires, Wolf Shape Shifters, Fairies, Wizards, Gnomes, Trolls, Goblins and Ghosts are Magical Beings that Mortals have glamorized and made countless films and tv shows about. In their minds, these Beings were seen as dangerous and scary but that was far from the truth. In the Magic Realm, they lived amongst each other happily and in harmony; but there are times when things aren’t as glamorous as it seemed.

Sure this was the last place Judias wanted to be, but he had no other options on the table. Now that his father possessed the Imp Potion, it wouldn’t be long until Rickasè finds him and tries to kill him for whatever reason.

“I-I can’t stay here.” The Witch stated shaking his head. “You know I don’t do well in new places and not to mention the currency here is Quart stones. They sell a pack of those back in the Mortal Realm for $1.50!”

“Actually.” Nathaniel interjected with a smug smile on his face. “As of last month the currency is Rubies. My father felt Rubies are a lot easier to carry than Quart stones.”

“Ugh!” Judias rubbed his forehead in frustration.

“And if you’re worried about boredom don’t be. I spread the word around-helps when you’re a Ghost- that you are here and many of the Beings are eager to hire you.”

The Witch looked at her in confusion. “With what?”

“In the Mortal Realm you were known as a Private Investigator. Helping Migrated Magical Beings fit into their everyday lives. You took on cases the Mortals could never- would never understand. Here you’ll be doing the same thing.”

The thought of crimes being committed in the Magic Realm didn’t seem to be a shocker to either men. They knew it was all a part of having their own Realm away from the weak-minded Mortals- who were threatened by anything that wasn’t seen as “normal”.

“Wait.” Judias began trying to make sense of everything. “Isn’t it the Council’s job to enforce the laws? I mean, when I was in the Mortal Realm, I knew that using my powers for personal gain was wrong. I never exposed who I was to any Mortal. Why? Because the Council had forbidden it. Why is the Council unaware of any crimes happening in this city?”

“They aren’t blind to it.” The Ghost said softly. “However, they choose to look the other way when it concerns Midstonia. Urban life was never on the list of the Council members, even now with the new threat arising, they don’t seem to care if Midstonia parishes.”

It was times like these that Judias wished he had the ability to stop time and spend a few hours trying to calm himself down and destress, but sadly, he didn’t possess that ability.

“Wait, what new threat is arising?”

Agatha realized that throughout her time here she spent it more explaining the reasons behind her bringing the Witch and Knight to the Magic Realm, rather than the real reason she decided to have Nathaniel seek the Witch.

“There has been a few whispers that…The Box of Athena has resurfaced.”

Nathaniel felt as if a bolt of lightning struck him internally. He stood up straight and assertive as he heard the news about the ‘Box Of Athena’. He had learned about the box as well as the history behind it throughout his time in the Knight Academy, so he knew the fact it could’ve surfaced meant trouble for both the Magic and Mortal Realm.

Judias replayed the words again in his mind and he glared at the Ghost. “You told me years ago the Box was destroyed.”

“Yes I lied.” Agatha stated with ease. “The Box was in my possession the entire time.”

Both men let out a frustrated sigh at the confession and they shook their heads in anger and betrayal.

“You do realize this box is dangerous?” Nathaniel asked angrily.

“Ofcourse.” Agatha answered.

“Then why the hell would you lie about destroying it?” Judias interjected.

The Ghost of Agatha nodded her head slowly, that’s all she could do considering the damage she already caused. “I understand you are upset with me, but destroying the Box of Athena would have shifted the balance of Good and Evil. Athena used that box to protect the Magic Realm. Destroying it would throw off that balance. Besides, we all know the box cannot be opened without the Key.”

Nathaniel agreed with Agatha, “That’s right. Okay, well…where is the key?”

The Ghost turned to Nathaniel, smiled warmly and then replied, “I don’t know.” Which once again caused both men to let out a deep and frustrated sigh.

Athena was a Witch born in 1210AD and she was chosen to protect the Realms from Evil. While most Witches in that predicament would use their powers to vanquish the Evil beings, Athena didn’t believe killing would solve anything. So, she decided to create a box and charm it with Magical essence, in that box she placed all the Evil beings she encountered into it. These beings included: Warlocks, Hellbound Demons, Sirens, Leeches, Shapeshifters and everything that would make Mortals scared to sleep in the dark; as well as the Dark Magic Realm.

This was her own version of prison, as she believed those who did Evil things could be “fixed”. Ironically, she died ten years later after her fourteen-year-old son murdered her and took her powers.

For Centuries, every being from the Shadow Realm have sought out this box in hopes of unleashing the powerful Demons and destroying the Magic Realm once and for all. Agatha was given the box many centuries ago and was told to destroy it, but she couldn’t. Instead, she decided to hide it somewhere by using her infamous ‘Cloaking Spell’ to not only hide the box but to make it difficult for others to find.

What many Magical Beings don’t know is that when a being casts a charm on an item or even cast a spell and that person dies, the effects of the charm or spell becomes ineffective; meaning now that Agatha is dead, so is the cloaking charm on the box.

Judias had many thoughtful words for Agatha but he decided to remain calm and collective. Rage wasn’t going to do much good for anyone at this point.

“Okay.” He began, “What should we do?”

“Absolutely nothing. As I said, there has been whispers of the box resurfacing. So far there hasn’t been much chatter on the exact location but you boys need not to worry about that…yet.”

“Yet!” Judias snarled shaking his head and Nathaniel couldn’t help but agree with him. This was a serious matter, one that could potentially destroy everyone and Agatha-who was already dead- clearly wasn’t fazed by it.

“I understand how worried you two must be but I assure you, when the box resurfaces it will be protected. Now please, let’s focus on to why I have summoned you both down here.”

Agatha waved her right hand and a large crystal ball appeared on the table.

“That is the Crystal Ball of Vickerine. As I’ve said earlier, this city needs your help. Some Magical Beings will be reluctant to come to you, so whenever this ball glows red, you are both to touch it and it will take you to whomever called you for help.”

Nathaniel didn’t have any issues with what Agatha was saying, he always enjoyed helping people, which was one of the many reasons why he became a Knight in the first place.

 “How will we know if someone needs our help if we aren’t at home to see the crystal ball glow?” Judias asked curiously.

Agatha waved her right hand again and a medium sized jewelry box appeared on the table. Both men looked at it and then looked back at her.

“In that box are two necklaces with a piece of the crystal hanging from it. It will glow whenever someone is in need and all you have to do is touch it and then you’ll be transported to them.”

It was very strange yet amazing that Agatha had everything figured out, but it didn’t really help ease Judias’ mind when he thought back to the city he would be leaving behind.

Nathaniel noticed Judias’ solemn facial expression and he lowered his eyebrows and asked softly, “What’s wrong?”

Judias inhaled deeply, “New York City wasn’t-isn’t just a city I fled to. It’s home and there are Magical Beings out there who need my help too. The Mortal Realm is filled with crazy people. People who they assume we are. Psychopaths, murderers and rapists. If I leave them, I’m worried they’ll be under attack.”

To see Judias care about others before him really impressed Agatha. It showed her that he was evolving and becoming more caring. “I agree with you and I want you to know, that I have people already moving in. These people are S.E.I.P.S agents and they excel at their jobs.”

The Special Enterprise Involving Protecting Supernatural Beings are quite similar to the Federal Bureau of Investigation to Mortals. They are an independent and special enterprise who works to protect the wellbeing of Magical Beings. Judias had heard of them once but he never thought they were legit or even of importance to bother helping those who needed it.

Nathaniel nodded his head smiling and turned to Judias. “See everything is figured out. As much as you don’t want to be here, this is the only place safe, while your father  runs amuck looking for you.”

“Speaking of that!” Judias interrupted and glanced over at Agatha, “What will I do about him? He won’t rest until I’m dead.”

Agatha’s calming smile reappeared on her face and she nodded her head once again softly. “Do not worry about him. As I said, this apartment is cloaked as well as you both. When the time comes you will face your father, but that time isn’t coming soon.”

“How do you know?” Judias asked.

“Because, I have foreseen it. And-“ Agatha stopped speaking when she heard a soft ringing in her ears. She smiled at both men and bowed her head. “It is my time to move on. Do not mourn me. Do not be sad for me. Just celebrate your life and know… that everything happens for a reason. Blessed be.”

In a white blinding light, Agatha’s ghost disappeared from the loft.

Judias looked at Nathaniel, “What the hell did she mean by that?”

Nathaniel was going to reply by citing how he didn’t know why Agatha did the things she did, when the crystal ball on the table started to glow red. Both men looked at it and Nathaniel smiled softly.

“It’s showtime.”

Judias looked at the crystal ball and let out a soft sigh. This was his first time back in the Magic Realm. A Realm that he had avoided for 500 years. Now he was here to protect them. What could possibly go wrong?

 

In The Echoes Kingdom:

Seated on a black cushion chair was King Leon. He was seated behind his large chestnut desk reading over a few policies that were given to him earlier. Nothing on the paper made any sense to him, he wasn’t even sure if the language was written in a dialect he understood.

“Ah, the wolf in sheep’s clothing.” A familiar voice stated causing the King to jump up from the seat.

Standing in the middle of his office was Agatha.

The King’s eyes widened at the sight of the dead woman. “Y-You’re dead. I know you’re dead because Nathaniel told me you were.”

“And he was right.” Agatha said smirking. “ But I’m not here to haunt you. Trust me, I have a feeling your past will do that for me.”

The King shook his head in both fear and confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“Are you aware of how Magic works?”

“Of course I am aware of how it works. I’m not a fool!”

Agatha arched her right eyebrow at him still smirking. “I would say you ultimately are. You see when a person casts a spell and that spellcaster dies…so does the spell.”

The King’s body froze in fear and he looked at the woman. “Wh-What?”

“Oh yes. That little curse we put on the Magic Realm. We, meaning you, I and-“

“So that means they  re-remember?”

“Oh no. It’s not that simple. Besides, it’s just I that died. You two are still alive. So there’s a chance the curse will yet be broken.”

“That’s alright.” He replied showing how fearless he was. “I will find another Sorceress to cast the same spell you did.”

“Nope.” Agatha interjected. “That’s not how it works. If the curse is recast there is no telling what damages you will cause, until it’s too late. Trust me; leaving them like this is the only way.”

“But you brought them together!” He spat angrily. “YOU did this to help them get their memories back!”

“Actually I didn’t. Fate did. As much as you try to interfere, the truth will come out. That is inevitable. And when it does, I suggest you find somewhere to hide, because your death…well, that is definitely going to happen…and when it does…I’ll see you in Hell…Rickasè.”

Agatha let out an amusing cackle her enemies had heard many times when she ruled the Underworld and she disappeared in a white light.

King Leon ran his fingers through his salt and pepper hair feeling anger and hatred toward the woman.

He had worked this hard to ensure everything went according to his plan. This meant lying, stealing and killing anyone who jeopardized it all and he never once saw Agatha’s death ruining the entire foundation.

King Leon angrily threw everything off his desk causing glass vials to shatter, papers to rip and the office door to burst open.

“Your Majesty, are you alright?” asked Valerius as he stood in the doorway with his sword drawn.

Valerius was a tall man. He had hypnotizing brown eyes, visibly muscular upper body, short shoulder length black hair that was styled in a neat bun on his head, a black neatly groomed beard, and he wore a black leather vest with black leather pants.

The King slowly turned to face the tall man. “Do you still have connections in the Underworld?”

Valerius nodded his head. “Of course. Why?”

An evil smirk spread across the King’s face. “Good, I need you to spread the word around. Whoever can bring me the head of the Witch, Judias Grey, I will grant them…one wish for whatever their heart desires.”

The man nodded once again and in a black smoky light, he disappeared from the office leaving King Leon by himself.

The King walked back around to his desk and opened a small drawer. Inside of the drawer was a black jewelry box with the inscription “Yours Now, And Yours Forever” on the front of the box. He placed the box on top of his now empty desk and opened it.

Inside of the box were two gold wedding bands with the inscription ‘Grey-Echoes’ on the inside.

King Leon glared at the rings. He hated them in more ways than anyone could imagine. It meant something sacred and something dangerous.

He waved his right hand over the rings and watched as tiny flames started to engulf the rings.

The sight of the Wedding bands melting wasn’t going to please him in the long run, but it was a start.

A start to keeping a secret. A  secret he hoped Nathaniel and Judias would never remember.

 

 

 

 

 

 End.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           Grey’s Echo: Rowan No End

The scent of sweaty gym socks caused Jimmy Kanter to cringe his Pig snout in disgust. He never imagined he would be at the school gymnasium in the middle of the night looking for a pink rose.

The seventeen-year-old pudgy male had short hair, which looked as if his mother had cut it with a pair of safety scissors. It was uneven, stringy and greasy. He had some freckles on his face, his pig snout was freshly powdered so it didn’t run- something that happens whenever he becomes nervous- and he wore a nice buttoned up black shirt with black khaki pants.

For the first time in his life, things were going his way. He was finally passing all his classes, his mother and father got back together after they separated months ago and now he was going on a date with the most popular girl in school; Vicky Sadler.

He found a note on his locker earlier in the day that Vicky signed and it read:

“Meet me in the gym at 8pm. Find a pink rose and I’ll be right behind you.”

Any sane person would think this would be trap but Vicky’s parents were adventurers who traveled through both the Magic and Mortal Realm looking for ancient artifacts, so he had every reason to believe Vicky enjoyed sending people on scavenger hunts.

Jimmy let out a sigh of relief as he noticed a pink rose lying on the top of the bleachers. He quickly ran up and grabbed the rose. He sniffed it and it smelled just like Cotton Candy-one of Vicky’s favorite treats.

“I knew you’d come.” The soft voice of Vicky Sadler said from behind Jimmy. His heart skipped a beat upon hearing her voice and he smiled to himself. He could not wait to turn around and gaze lovingly into the hazel eyes of his longtime crush.

Jimmy cleared his mind and he slowly turned around, it wasn’t done for dramatic effect but instead for him to control his anxiety, which would sometimes make him stutter and shake uncontrollably. “Vicky, I must say how excited I am that-“ Jimmy’s words were cut off when a bright flash blinded him.

He covered his eyes as he heard laughing.

“Eww you dweeb!” Standing before him on the step of the bleachers was Dean Deckler, the most popular boy in school. He looked at the phone screen at the picture he just took of Jimmy making a hideous face that was a combination of shock and lust.

Jimmy’s sight cleared from the flash and he looked around gym in hopes of seeing Vicky, but it was just him and Dean. “Wh-Where’s Vicky? I-I heard her.”

Dean glared at the male and he smirked. “That was me you moron! Remember I’m a Chameleon. I can disguise my voice.” He cleared his throat and spoke adjusting his voice to sound just like Vicky’s, “You see you Dweeb, I’m not Vicky but I sound just like her.” Dean laughed again and he shook his head causing his voice to return back to its normal baritone pitch.

Jimmy looked at the eighteen-year-old male standing in front of him. “Wh-Wh-Why would you do this?”

“Why not?” Dean replied back followed once again with a crude laugh.

Dean Deckler was Captain of the Football team and a Chameleon. It doesn’t mean he was a lizard at all, but it meant that he could shape shift into anyone and take on their likeness, mannerisms and voice. Jimmy couldn’t help but wonder if Dean’s good looks, chiseled cheek bones, athletic body, light blue eyes and blonde hair, was even real or just a perfect illusion.

“I did it because I see the way you look at Vicky. The way she helps you with your homework because your Fat a*s can’t do anything right. And I’m here to tell you it needs to stop. Vicky is my girl.”

“B-B-b-but you and here are no-no-no-not even dating.”

Dean shrugged, “So? It doesn’t matter where we are now in our relationship because my Dad brought a Magic Crystal Ball from the Black Market and I saw Vicky and I as adults. We’re going to not only be married but I’m going to rule the Magic Realm, and when that happens, I’m going to make sure you and your family of pigs, never see this Realm again.”

Dean laughed at his own words, he pushed Jimmy causing the teen to lose his balance on the bleachers, and he fell on his back.

“Ha! Next time watch your back buddy. Oink, Oink!”

Dean jumped off the bleachers and started to walk toward the double doors of the gymnasium whistling a tune to himself.

Jimmy rubbed his temples angrily as he watched the Jock walk away unfazed at all by the attack he just unleashed on the innocent teen. “Rowan No End, Rowan No End…Rowan No End.”

A high-pitched giggle echoed throughout the gymnasium and it caused Dean to stop walking. He couldn’t believe how disrespectful Jimmy was by laughing at him, laughing at him! Does the Pig even know who Dean is? Who his father is?!

The Jock turned around and he froze in fear when in a black smoky light a man appeared before him wearing a black and white Jester costume.

The man stood at five feet tall, he was unhealthily skinny with not one ounce of fat on his bones, his eyes were yellow and the man’s infectious smile was decorated with crooked orange teeth and black lipstick on this thin lips.

“Who the hell are you?” Dean asked angrily.

“Who am I?” the Jester asked his voice was high pitched as if he just inhaled some helium. He licked his black painted lips and smiled. “I’m your end.”

Jimmy closed his eyes as he heard the horrifying screams of Dean Deckler mixed with the laughs of the Jester. Jimmy knew, Dean was never going to be a problem again.

 

 

II

Twenty Minutes Later:

“Speaking of that!” Judias interrupted and glanced over at Agatha, “What will I do about him? He won’t rest until I’m dead.”

Agatha’s calming smile reappeared on her face and she nodded her head once again softly. “Do not worry about him. As I said, this apartment is cloaked as well as you both. When the time comes you will face your father, but that time isn’t coming soon.”

“How do you know?” Judias asked.

“Because, I have foreseen it. And-“ Agatha stopped speaking when she heard a soft ringing in her ears. She smiled at both men and bowed her head. “It is my time to move on. Do not mourn me. Do not be sad for me. Just celebrate your life and know… that everything happens for a reason. Blessed be.”

In a white blinding light, Agatha’s ghost disappeared from the loft.

Judias looked at Nathaniel, “What the hell did she mean by that?”

Nathaniel was going to reply by citing how he didn’t know why Agatha did the things she did, when the crystal ball on the table started to glow red. Both men looked at it and Nathaniel smiled softly.

“It’s showtime.”

Judias looked at the crystal ball and let out a soft sigh as he made his way over to the glowing ball. The Witch placed his hands on the ball as Nathaniel did the same and in a bright red light, they both disappeared out of the loft.

In the same red light, they appeared in a school hallway. The hallway’s décor consisted of Halloween decorations from Pumpkins, to Skeletons and faux spider webs. Gold and Black painted lockers lined up the hall and a black twelve feet tall Christmas tree decorated with golden Jack O Lanterns stood in the middle of the hallway.

“Where are we?” Nathaniel asked looking around the empty hallway.

“It looks like we’re in a…-“ Judias walked down the hallway and read the school’s banner that stood over the Halloween decorated tree. “-Ah crap. We’re at Hallows High.”

The Knight joined him and read the banner, “Hallows High? That doesn’t sound good.”

“It’s just a school filled with Magical Beings many people associate Halloween with as well as beings that are sometimes associated with Fairy Tales. Goblins, Ogres, Ghosts, talking Mice and wannabe Prince and Princes.”

Nathaniel knew there were schools in various parts of the Realm that catered to the diverse population, but he had no idea there was one specifically one for Fairy Tale characters. “So their Christmas is Halloween?” He asked referring to the large Christmas tree.

Judias shook his head, “No. They used to have a statue of writer Hans Christian Andersen a few centuries ago, but the Council of Elders felt the statue was a direct sign of disrespect since Hans profited off the fictitious stories he created based on the students here and their families; so they tore it down and replaced it with a ‘Halloween Tree’. You write a wish on a piece of paper and then put it inside of the tree. If you believe in Magic, in an hour your wish will come true. ”

The Knight realized Judias wasn’t joking and the information he just shared with him was actually factual. “Do you honestly believe this tree is some sort of…wishing tree?”

The Witch gave him a smirk, “Write down a wish and check for yourself.”

Before Nathaniel could utter a word, the sounds of high heels echoed behind them. They turned around to find a middle-aged woman walking towards them with a plastered smile on her face. Her brown chestnut hair was styled into a neat bun on top of her head; she wore a pink and white wool dress, pink and white shoes and a set of pink pearls were around her neck.

Both men watched as she stopped two feet away from them and gave them a wide smile. “Hello! You must be Grey and Echoes! Agatha has told me so much about you. My name is Dean Tremaine; Dean is not my first name. My first name is Dharma. So my full name is Dharma Tremaine but you two can call me Dean Tremaine.”

If there were an award for the most annoying and preppy person alive, Dean Tremaine would win it without trouble.

Judias nodded his head. “Yes, I’m Judias Grey. May I ask why did you call for us?”

“Earlier today we’ve had a situation at the gym concerning a student. It appears he just disappeared. Sadly this wasn’t the first time something like this happened.”

“Disappeared?” Nathaniel asked not entirely sure how that was even possible.

Dean Tremaine nodded her head still with the smile painted on her face. “Well you see Mr. Echoes, it seems that there is an Urban Legend at this school…and well…I feel like one of my students may have conjured up a very realistic version of it and kidnapped his fellow peer in a silly prank.”

“A prank?” Judias asked. “Forgive me Dean Tremaine, but in a school like this; any indication of a prank should be taken seriously especially if one of your students went missing.”

“I know, Mr. Grey.” Dean Tremaine said.

Nathaniel waited to see if Judias had another question to ask and when silence visited the trio the Knight quickly added, “You said there is an urban legend in this school. What Urban legend?”

“Someone by the name of Rowan No End.”

A small gasp escaped Judias’ mouth and the Knight quickly looked at him. “You’ve heard of him?”

Judias nodded slowly. “Yeah...he was a Jester for the Vanderson Kingdom.”

“Who are they?”

Judias looked at the Knight. “The Vandersons ruled…the Dark Magic Realm.”

 

 

III

Dean Tremaine watched quietly as Judias and Nathaniel skimmed through a box of information she handed them about the cases of the missing students.  In the box were pictures of the missing students, accounts of eyewitnesses and photographs of the scenes where the students disappeared.

Nathaniel read the transcripts of the eyewitnesses and noticed how every student mentioned the same name ‘Rowan No End’.

“So what are we looking at here with this Rowan No End?” The Knight asked looking at Judias.

“The Vandersons were a family of Warlocks who ruled the Dark Magic Realm with iron fists, bloody boots and an appetite for Witches and shockingly Ogres.” Judias stated causing Dean Tremaine to listen closely as this information was new to her. “Rowan-“

“Please!” Dean Tremaine interjected quickly with the smile still imprinted on her face. “Let’s not say that name again. The students believe if you say his name three times he’ll appear and we don’t want that.”

“Like Bloody Mary?” Nathaniel asked.

Dean Tremaine nodded and Judias rolled his eyes and continued. “Mr. No End, was a Jester for the Vandersons. No one knew where he came from or if he had family. He just showed up one day and the King hired him as the Jester. However, there was a secondary tale about this Jester and the tale stated, No End kidnapped children, usually teenagers and he would suck their blood.”

“He’s a vampire?”

Judias let out a loud chuckle and he shook his head. “Not a Vampire at all. He just sucks the blood out of Virgins. He doesn’t need it to live…he just enjoys the taste.”

Nathaniel scrunched his nose in disgust, as he didn’t want to hear anything about people devouring blood or human flesh.

“Although-“ Judias added drifting into his thoughts, “-I don’t think he ever had abilities to be conjured.”

“I thought the Dark Magic Realm was imprisoned in Athena’s Box?” The Knight asked remembering the conversation Agatha had with them a few minutes ago.

Judias gave him a simple nod. “That is right. I don’t know how in the hell he escaped unscathed and how he is being conjured but-“ The Witch stopped speaking as he saw a sheet of paper on top of the desk. The sheet had five names on it:

 

“*Cindy Charming

*Angela Uma

*Augustine Kui

*Maxx Sheppers

*Jimmy Kanter”

 

He turned the sheet over to the Dean. “Who are these names?”

Dean Tremaine read them over quickly and answered him, “Those are the witnesses. Cindy and Angela were present when Lilly Snow was taken, Augustine and Maxx were present when Ariel Sebastian was taken and Jimmy was present when Dean Deckler was taken.”

“Five witnesses and not one investigation was done?” The Knight’s tone held resentment and anger toward the preppy Dean. Three missing students should’ve been enough for her to call for help not only from the Echoes Kingdom but also the Council of Magical Elders.

The Dean’s smile didn’t fade once from her tired and heavily applied make up face. “I understand how upset you must be Mr. Echoes, but students run away from here all the time. No one wants to be at school. I’m sure you both resented your parents for taking you to school.”

“That’s not true. I enjoyed learning.” Nathaniel stated.

“Are these students present today?” Judias added.

Dean Tremaine nodded. “Upon your arrival I contacted them. They’re waiting for you to speak to them in the library.”

Nathaniel took out a photograph from the box and he examined it carefully. It was a picture of a black crystal. The crystal was shattered from the inside, it’s edges were sharp as if it was attached to something and was roughly ripped apart. He showed both Dean Tremaine and Judias the photograph. “Any idea what this is?”

Dean Tremaine shook her head. “Not at all. It was found on the site of Lilly Snow, the first missing student.”

Judias cleared his throat causing Dean Tremaine to look at him and he started to recite a spell,

Love in life is what we’ve seen,

Lost in fear when we are mean.

Lose the hope and paint it green,

Use my words to freeze this scene.”

Dean Tremaine opened her mouth to speak but she didn’t utter a sound…or a word. Instead, she stood motionless like a statue staring at the Witch.

Nathaniel noticed her statuette pose and glanced at Judias, “Did you freeze her?”

Judias dismissed his words, “She’ll thaw out in five minutes and it’ll give me a break from her perky attitude.”

The Knight could tell there were many questions dancing around in Judias’ head, “What do you make of this case?”

“It’s not making any sense yet. We have three missing students, five witnesses, an urban legend and a crystal. Something isn’t right here and Dean Tremaine isn’t going to help us in ways we need her too. You and I are going to have to split up.”

Nathaniel agreed that was the best option here “Sounds good. What would you like me to do?”

“I need you to take that picture of the Crystal to Haneltha’s Magic Crystal Shop. I know the owner and she is an expert in anything that involves magical crystals.”

“Okay. What about you?”

Judias picked up the sheet containing the students’ names and he showed it to the Knight. “I’m going to interview these students and see what they can tell me. If one of them is lying I’ll be able to spot it.”

Nathaniel once again nodded his head and in a blue light he disappeared from the office.

Judias let out a deep sigh of frustration. If the Witch wanted to solve this case before the night was over, he was going to take part in something he never enjoyed doing: socializing.

 

 

 

The following notes were taken by Judias during his interrogation with the eye witnesses aka the students:

 

·               Cindy Charming: 17 years old. She identifies as a “Future Princess”. She claims her and her “bff” Angela Uma, confronted Lilly Snow about a rose she received during her 8th period Magic 101 Class. Apparently, Lilly is dating Cindy’s brother and Cindy was starting to suspect that Lilly was cheating on him-as if I truly care about teenage drama. She swears on ‘all the designer bags in the world’, that she didn’t do any harm to Lilly. I believe her. She may be vain and spoiled and her teeth are whiter than snow; but she is a self-proclaimed Princess who didn’t need a scandal like this to ruin her chances of getting the crown.

 

·               Angela Uma: 17 years old; 17 years “and a half”. She proclaims herself ‘Queen of Hallows High’- a fact I’m pretty sure her “bff” Cindy would quickly shoot down. She is hesitant at first to talk about the night where Lilly Snow went missing, but after a few seconds of her brushing her hair, as if she was a cat grooming itself; she decided to speak willingly. Apparently, Lilly Snow was Cindy’s bestfriend since kindergarten but they stopped being “besties” because Lilly started to date Cindy’s brother…which according to Angela and Cindy, is a clear violation of the “Girl Code”. I don’t think she did anything to Lilly at all. Angela’s attention span is that of a Newt…not very bright.

 

·               Augustine Kui: 18 years old. He identifies as a “Vegan Goblin, Troll, Ogre”- he apparently doesn’t know what kind of species he is…Anyway, he is a regular at a local Pub where students of Hallows High attend after school. He has seen Ariel Sebastian many times there. He describes her as a “Cute girl that keeps to herself”. He claims he never saw her speaking to anyone there. Until one day he saw her talking to a Pig like fellow. When asked if this “Pig Like Fellow” has a name, Augustine gave me a shrug. So now, my attention is on this “Pig Like Fellow”; which shouldn’t be hard to find…cue sarcasm.

 

·               Maxx Shepper: 18 years old. He identifies himself as a “Future Ogre Killer” but according to him means “I’m only going to kill like the really, really, really, really, really bad Ogres. Not the good ones like Shrek.”….He claims that he approached Ariel Sebastian one day, a few months ago, and he offered to buy her a drink but she rejected him citing, “I don’t associate myself with spawns of Ogre hunters”. And he said he quickly left her alone. Considering how cocky he was and how long he kept on flexing his muscles- because apparently to him, me being Gay means I’m attracted to any man I set my eyes on- he doesn’t look the type to kidnap anyone. To annoy someone? Oh definitely!

 

Self Note: So far these witnesses are not actually witnesses at all since they didn’t see Lilly Snow and Ariel Sebastian get taken. It appears once again Dean Tremaine’s disorganization has interfered with this investigation. I’m starting to suspect that maybe “chirpy”, “preppy” and “prissy” Dean Tremaine is an act. I’ll speak to her right after I talk to the last “witness”, Jimmy Kanter…who is already ten minutes late.

 

Judias closed his notebook, sighed and rubbed his forehead. It was at least three hours since he found out Agatha was murdered and he didn’t even have time to rest or digest anything from the tragedy. Now here he was in Hallows High, interviewing clueless students about their missing peers, who none of them actually saw get taken!

The Witch waited a few more seconds for the last eyewitness to arrive but so far no one named Jimmy showed up to the library and Judias really needed something to eat.

He rose up from the uncomfortable yellow plastic chair and grabbed his notebook; just as he turned around to leave, he saw Jimmy Kanter enter the library nervously scratching his arms.

“Hi, you must be Jimmy Kanter.” The Witch said with a sincere smile on his face- a trick he picked up a few years ago in acting school.

Jimmy nodded nervously and he avoided eye contact with the stranger completely, ‘Dean Tr-Tremaine said you wanted to speak with me?”

Judias nodded slowly, “Yes. I’m a…let’s just say a Magical Sleuth, and I’m here because a few of your peers have gone missing. And I was told you were a witness when your friend Dean Deckler went missing.”

“He-He-He isn’t my fr-fr-fr-friend.”

The teenager’s nerves were getting the best of him as he started to think back at how Dean bullied him throughout the years and made his life a miserable Hell, the last thing he would ever call Dean would be a friend.

Judias watched the teen’s solemn expression and he remembered the testimony Augustine Kui gave about Ariel Sebastian speaking to a “Pig Like Fellow” and based on the erratic behavior of Jimmy; Judias knew something was definitely wrong.

“Jimmy-“ The Witch began. “-Did you also speak to Ariel Sebastian too?”

Jimmy nervously backed away from the Witch shaking his head. “Le-Le-Leave me alone!”

“I’m not here to hurt you Jimmy, I’m a Witch and I’m here to help you. I just need to understand what’s going on.”

Judias extended his right hand to show the teenager that he didn’t mean any harm but Jimmy slapped his hand away and backed away again. “No! You-You-You’re lying! Yo-You’re here to punish me.”

The Witch shook his head. “Absolutely not.  I’m here to help your school. If you’re in trouble I need to know.”

Jimmy chuckled shaking his head. “N-No one can help me now except him.”

“Him?” Judias asked. “Who’s him?”

Jimmy ran out of the library causing Judias to let out a deep frustrated sigh. “This is why I hate children.”

The last thing Judias wanted to do was run through the halls of Hallows High like a mad man on the loose, especially since he looked twenty-seven and someone might get the wrong impression and it was the fact he was really tired and needed some sleep. It’s not every day you realize your father is trying to kill you.

Judias ran out of the library and stopped as he saw Jimmy standing a few feet away from him. “Listen kid, I am not the enemy here. I just need to know what is going on!” He stated trying his hardest not to come across as rude or dangerous; but that didn’t stop Jimmy from feeling belittled.

The teenager angrily stomped his right foot on the ground sending a huge gust of wind hurling toward Judias. The gust of wind knocked the Witch off his feet and unto the ground with a loud Thud!

“Agh!” The Witch groaned out in pain as he landed roughly on his back.

Jimmy knew what was going to happen next. He had heard stories about Witches and the dangerous powers they have when they are angry. While Judias didn’t look quite intimidating to the teen, who assumed the Witch was part of a theater group because he had a certain “theatre vibe” about him when he speaks; Jimmy still couldn’t take a chance.

The teen watched nervously as Judias got up slowly from the floor, “Rowan No End. Rowan No End. Rowan No End!”

In a black smoky light Rowan No End appeared and he looked down at Judias who’s eyes widened in shock. “Hello! Oooooh!” The Jester sung aloud in excitement. “You’re a Witch! This is going to be so much fun!”

Rowan’s black lipped smile revealed stained razor sharp teeth and he smelled like Brimstone and char. Judias glanced as the Jester clapped his hands happily letting out a high pitched giggle.

Judias nervously gulped, “Uh Oh!”

 

 

IV

Haneltha’s Magic Crystal Shop:

Nathaniel pushed the door of the Magic Shop open and he felt a familiar chill run down his spine as he passed through the threshold. He felt as if he had been there before, as if he had walked through the same door, saw the various shapes of colorful Magical Crystals organized on the shelves by size, color, and weight and Magical attribution; but why did it feel familiar? He had never been to a crystal shop before or let alone was a visitor of the neighborhood of Klorisin; so he clearly thought it was just a simple case of Déjà vu.

He closed the door behind him and made his way toward the counter. The boutique wasn’t filled with any customers shopping or guests frequenting the aisles in search of anything that caught their eye; instead it was the just the Knight.

Once at the counter, Nathaniel noticed a clear crystal heart in a box on top of the glass counter. The clear crystal seemed to have soothed the Knight; it cleared his mind from the craziness he endured in the past six hours.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” The question broke the Knight’s concentration on the crystal heart and he looked to find Haneltha standing by a curtain made up entirely of pink glass beads.

The woman looked no older than 29 years old. Her voice was smooth like velvet and she had an English accent, which was unique since she wasn’t from England. She had shoulder length lavender colored hair, dark brown eyes, skin the color of mocha and wore a black form fitting dress. She approached the counter as Nathaniel straightened his posture.

“Yes, it is.” He answered.

“I just got it in today. It’s said to glow when the buyer gives it to the person they’re destined to be with.  Sounds like a cliché I know, but I assure you it’s quite romantic.”

Nathaniel nodded and he cleared his throat. “My name is-“

“Nathaniel Echoes-Prince Nathaniel Echoes.” Haneltha interjected with a smile on her face.

Nathaniel looked at her as if she had just confessed that she drinks the blood of pigeons for breakfast. How did she know him? How did she recognize him?

As if Haneltha could read his mind, she smiled and tilted her head to the side. “I know you because I am aware of the royalty here…that and you’re the cleanest customer that walked through these doors.”

The Knight couldn’t refrain himself from smiling at the compliment (?) Haneltha gave him.

“So-“ She began. “-What brings you here? Is the Kingdom in trouble?”

Nathaniel quickly shook his head. “No not at all. Thankfully. I was actually sent by Judias.”

Haneltha let out a small gasp at the mention of her best friend’s name. “How is he? I’ve been trying to call him for two days now.”

“He’s been good.” The Knight stated. “Agatha’s passing hasn’t really hit him yet. That or he’s just super cold on the inside.”

The shop owner giggled and shook her head. “No he isn’t one to hold his feelings in about anything. Trust me.”

Nathaniel placed the image of the crystal on the glass counter, slid it to Haneltha and she glanced at it. The Knight watched as the woman’s dark brown eyes widened at the sight of the crystal. “Where did you get this?” She didn’t take her eyes off of the image.

“From a case Judias and I are working on. It was taken from a scene where a student went missing; he was hoping you could identify it as he has no idea what it is.”

“It’s a shard from an Enchanted Rock.”

Nathaniel’s eyebrows lowered, “What kind of Enchanted Rock?”

“One that shouldn’t be in the Magic Realm or any Realm for that matter.”

The words caught Nathaniel off guard and he looked at Haneltha as he asked in shock, “It’s a Dark Magic Crystal?”

The Store Owner nodded her head at his question, “I’m afraid so. I don’t know how it got to this Realm but if it’s here, it isn’t a good thing. Do you know where this crystal is now?”

Nathaniel thought about the question for a few seconds, considering the image was taken on the property of Hallows High he knew exactly where it could be. “The crystal would have to still be at the school.”

Haneltha clapped her hands together joyfully. “Oooh goody! I know a spell that would bind the powers of the crystal, if it has any. I’ll be right back.”

Before Nathaniel could get a word out, Haneltha joyfully walked through the beaded curtain, which led to her stock room full of various magical items and spell books, all she had to do was go through each book and find the spell she remembered she saw many years ago.

Nathaniel tapped his fingers lightly on the counter when the door of the boutique opened. He turned around hoping it wasn’t a customer that recognized him because the last thing he needed was someone asking him questions he really didn’t want to answer. But to his surprise- and regret- it wasn’t a stranger…it was Valerius!

The Knight knew the only reason Valerius showed up to the boutique had to be because of his father. “If my father told you to snoop on me you’re wasting your time.”

“Don’t get your tights twisted in a bunch.” Valerius stated as he entered the boutique further with his hands by his sides. “I’m here checking up on you. It seems I couldn’t sense you for the past four hours. I thought maybe you were stupid enough to get yourself killed.”

The Knight chuckled at his words, “Why? So you can finally replace me and be the second son my father always wanted?”

“Screw you! It’s not my fault you decided to hang out with that Witch!”

“That Witch has a name and his name is Judias!”

Valerius smirked watching how angry the Knight was becoming with every second that passed by. “Whatever you want to call him, doesn’t take away from the fact that Agatha is sending you on a suicide mission. No one in their right mind would pair a Witch and a Knight together, unless they were stupid, or setting that Knight up.”

Nathaniel felt his blood boil, a sensation he had felt moments ago when he was having the exact conversation with his father. His heart was pounding in his chest as if it was trying its hardest to escape the Knight’s body. He felt the air around him get thicker as he panted and Valerius watched in amusement as the Knight’s hazel eyes turned crimson.

Valerius licked his own lips as he stared deeper into the crimson eyes of Nathaniel. He felt the rage, the hatred and he felt the Beast lurking within the Knight; trying so hard to escape it’s confine to come out and play.

Haneltha walked through the curtain and paused observing the scene between both men seconds away from attacking one another.

“Uh…Am I interrupting something?” She asked.

Nathaniel’s eyes changed back to their normal color and he turned back to the storeowner. “Not at all, Valerius here was just leaving.”

The taller man slowly nodded his head and in a black smoky light, he disappeared leaving just Nathaniel and Haneltha in the boutique.

“Sorry about that.” The Knight stated clearing his throat and calming himself down. Haneltha dismissed his words and smiled warmly.

“No worries. You’re a Prince. I’m not going to question anything you do.” She giggled.

Nathaniel thanked her for not being as nosy as most people were and he glanced at the paper she held in her hand. “Is that the spell?”

She nodded her head and handed it to him. He looked it over in confusion; it was written in Latin- a language he neglected to learn growing up.

“That spell will take away whatever power the crystal has.”

“You think the crystal possesses power?”

“All crystals do.” Haneltha stated. “Since the one in the image you showed came from the Dark Magic Realm, there is no doubt in my body that it has some kind of dark power to it. When you find that crystal, it is imperative that you get only Judias to recite that spell. A Witch can only say that spell for it to truly work.”

The Knight thanked Hanletha for her help, he couldn’t be anymore grateful at the amazing job she did and he turned around to make his way toward the door when Haneltha quickly called out, “Becareful and tell Judias to call me when this is all over!”

Nathaniel told her he would make sure Judias called her and he exited the boutique.

She watched as the Knight made his way down the street and she let out a deep sigh. “He doesn’t remember at all.” She said to herself.

 

 

V

The sound of thunder caused Judias to open his eyes and he discovered something quite ridiculous. He was sitting on a cold metallic chair and found his arms; legs and upper body tied to it with rope. The room he was held captive in looked like a cave; flame lit torches were the only means of light as the flames flickered and revealed a large prison cell made up of bamboo sticks which was located in the far right corner.

Inside of the prison cell were three students; two females and one male. Judias knew they had to be Lilly Snow, Ariel Sebastian and Dean Deckler.

The male student looked at Judias and shook his head, “If you’re the cavalry sent here to save us, then you suck!”

“I apologize for getting kidnapped by some psychopath!” The Witch snapped back as he tried to move his arms but it was of no use; especially since his arms were tightly tied to the armrests of the chair. He stopped wiggling and looked at the three students in the cage. “Is anyone hurt?”

“No.” Lilly and Ariel answered quickly.

“Nah we aren’t hurt.” Dean stated. “He said he wasn’t going to kill us. He just wants to find a Witch to help him get power.”

Judias lowered his eyebrows and looked at the Jock. “Power? How the hell does he plan on doing that?”

“By killing you!” Rowan sung as he jumped out from behind the chair causing all four of the people in the cave to flinch in shock.

The Jester clapped his hands happily; he pulled out a small black dagger from the inside of his tights and laughed.

Judias glared at the annoying Jester and rolled his eyes. “Well, good luck with that.”

The Jester twirled around in a circle as if he was a ballet dancer, “Luck is for Mortals. I have a strong belief that I will kill you. But first-“. He stopped twirling, leaned in closer to Judias’ face, and held the tip of the dagger against the Witch’s right cheek. “- I need your blood.”

The scent of Brimstone tickled Judias’ nostrils as if the air was smothering him with it and he knew this man, being or whatever Rowan was; wasn’t real he smelled like Black Magic and the scent was making Judias very nauseated.

“Why the hell would you need my blood?”

“To bring the Dark Magic Realm back silly!”

Most people tied to a chair with a psychotic clown pressing a sharp dagger against their face, would be nervous and try their hardest to comply with the psycho…but Judias isn’t like most people. A few seconds after Rowan finished speaking Judias started to laugh causing Rowan to frown in anger.

“This isn’t funny!” Rowan stated as he stomped his feet on the ground like a child throwing a temper tantrum. “My name is Rowan No End and I am the Court Jester of the Vanderson Kingdom. The King of the Dark Magic Realm was ferocious and fearless. That was until one faithful night in September; a Witch named Athena invaded the Kingdom. She tried to imprison everyone not only in the Kingdom but also in the Shadow Realm. I, along with five other Shadow Beings, were given orders from the King himself, to run. Unfortunately, we didn’t get very far and we were imprisoned inside of… a crystal rock. Somehow, I ended up North and was found by that Pig snout vermin named Jimmy. Instead of letting me go and figuring out a way to bring me back, he decided to use me as a tool for his act of vengeance against his school bullies.”

The words echoed inside of the minds of both Lilly and Ariel. They had no idea Jimmy viewed them as bullies. Lilly met him at the library, he asked her out on a date and she politely declined and Ariel was asked out as well by him and she politely declined; but they didn’t decline based on Jimmy’s looks. Truth was, Ariel and Lilly are dating each other!

Both young women looked at each other in remorse about Jimmy feeling the way he did and how angry he must’ve been.

Judias once again gave the man a smirk, “So in other words, you’re Jimmy’s Genie in a bottle. Tell me, did he rub you the right way, honey?”

In an angry fit Rowan slapped Judias in the face causing everyone in the cage to flinch out of fear. “LEAVE THE JOKES TO ME!”

A small drop of blood dripped from the corner of the Witch’s mouth, he licked it as if it was a small drop of ice cream on his face and he smirked as Rowan continued on telling his story.

“I thought for sure this…Jimmy kid was a Witch sent to rescue me from that dreadful Enchanted Rock but he is far from a Witch. He’s a pathetic loser that will never learn his body odor is worse than his pig snout.” The Jester let out another giggle and he licked his black painted lips meeting Judias’ glare. “But once I laid eyes on you, well I knew it was a match made in Heaven. Not only do I have the Judias Grey in my possession, but I have one fourth of the ‘Canutus Coven’ in my possession.”

It sounded as if Rowan just spoke a completely different language to the Witch as he looked at Rowan as if he was insane.

“A Coven?” Judias asked, “Okay now I know you’ve gone off the deep end. I am not a part of any Coven.”

Rowan nodded his head slowly, “Ah, that’s right! I forgot you were infected with the Curse and that made you forget all about your little group of friends.”

“What Curse?”

Rowan tiptoed and he twirled gracefully as if there was ballet music playing somewhere in the cave. “That isn’t my place to tell. All I want from you is a drop of your blood. Then I can create the potion I need to not only free me from this damn rock, but also to kill Jimmy. So…GIVE ME!”

Without any warning Rowan tightened his grip on the dagger and roughly stabbed the thigh of Judias’ right leg.

“AGH!” The Witch screamed out in agony as Rowan happily clapped his hands together enjoying the scene.

Judias looked at the teenagers in the cage and through his pain he shouted, “Cover your ears!”

All three of the students nodded their heads not entirely sure what he meant but they didn’t bother to question him. They placed their hands on their ears nervously and Judias gave Rowan a smirk.

The Witch inhaled deeply and let out his Ultra Sonic scream, Rowan was completely caught off guard forgetting the specific ability Judias had which made him a threat to many people in the Magic and Shadow Realm. The scream caused Rowan to drop to his knees and he covered his ears as his brain felt like it was on fire.

Judias stopped screaming and he quickly recited:

Do not murder was their rule,

But who cares when in a duel?

Ice won’t melt when it is cool,

Take us back to Hallows school.”

In a purple blinding light the imprisoned students and tied Judias disappeared from the cave, leaving behind Rowan who angrily jumped to his feet and shouted, “NOOOOOOO!!!!!”

 

Meanwhile at Hallows High; Inside of Hallows High Library:

“What do you mean he’s gone?!” Nathaniel asked angrily as Dean Tremaine handed Jimmy a cup of water.

“We had a little…um incident.” Dean Tremaine said still smiling

Jimmy took a sip of the water and nervously looked at the Knight. “What kind of incident?”

Jimmy swallowed the sip of water and he got up from the chair. “I-I-I thought Ju-Ju-Ju-Judias was here to take me away because I’m the one that has been conjuring Rowan so I called for him and he-he-he took Judias aw-aw-aw-aw-away.”

Nathaniel’s eyes changed to its beastly crimson color. “Where the hell did he take him?!”

“Mr. Echoes please calm dow-“

Dean Tremaine’s words were cut short when in a purple light the cage of students and Judias appeared in the middle of the library causing Dean Tremaine, Nathaniel and Jimmy to look at them.

“Judias!” Nathaniel’s eyes shifted back to his natural color and he ran over to the Witch tied to the chair. The first thing the Knight noticed was the dagger’s handle poking out of the Witch’s right thigh and he quickly yanked the dagger out causing Judias to scream, “Son of a b***h!”

Dean Tremaine took out a blue diamond wand, she waved it over the cage causing the door to open, and all three students walked out happily.

She turned to Judias and waved her wand once again causing the ropes that held the Witch to the chair to disappear.

“Are you okay?” Nathaniel asked as Judias quickly got up from the chair, his wound healing in a purple light and he gave the Knight a nod.

“I’m fine. “ Judias smirked. “Nothing I couldn’t handle.” He turned to Jimmy who nervously looked at him fearful of what the Witch would do to him. “Do you still have that crystal you found?”

“I-I-I do-do.”  Jimmy dug inside of his beige khaki pants and showed Judias the small piece of the black crystal rock.

“Haneltha gave me this.” Nathaniel handed the spell to the Witch and he read the spell to himself.

Judias nodded his head and he looked at Jimmy, “I need you to conjure Rowan.”

As if it was rehearsed, Ariel, Lilly, Dean Tremaine, Dean Deckler and Nathaniel let out a shocked, “WHAT?!”

“Trust me. This is the only way.”

Jimmy had caused enough trouble and the last thing he wanted was to make Judias any angrier than he did by almost getting him killed. The teen nodded his head and he let out a soft sigh as he began to recite, “Rowan No End…Rowan No End…Rowan No End!”

Not wanting to be caught off guard, Nathaniel withdrew his sword and held the handle tightly waiting for whomever or whatever was coming.

In a gust of wind, Rowan No End appeared in the library and his attention went straight to Jimmy. “You’re really starting to piss me off kid.”

Judias looked at the paper and began to recite the spell:

“Tenebras non accipiunter hic,

Utere cum minus ut interficias obymbratio,

His verbis beatus per timorem occidere.

Tenebras non accipiunter hic!”

“Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Roman’s screams were met with painful agony that he had never felt before and in a black light he disappeared into the crystal and wasn’t seen again.

Judias grabbed the crystal from Jimmy, threw it on the ground and stomped on it shattering it into pieces.

Everyone let out a sigh of relief excited the nightmare was officially over and they wouldn’t have to deal with Rowan No End anymore.

While everyone was happy, Jimmy felt disgusted and anger for what he did. He didn’t mean to hurt anyone and most of all he didn’t mean to almost get anyone killed.

Judias turned to face him and smiled, “I know how tough high school can be. Believe it or not I was in your shoes once, but not everyone is against you. In fact, Ariel and Lilly could be your friends if you get to know them.”

“Bu-But they rejected me and I didn’t mean to summon Rowan it happened by accident.”

“They didn’t reject you because of how you look, your personality or whatever you think. They rejected you because they’re in a relationship; with each other.”

Jimmy glanced over at Lilly and Ariel hugging and he looked down at his feet in embarrassment and shame.

“I-I-I should ap-ap-apologize to them.”

Judias nodded his head smiling and Jimmy walked over to the pair. Nathaniel smiled as he slowly walked over to Judias and placed his sword back in its holster. “Looks like a job well done.”

The Witch smiled and he couldn’t wait to get back home and finally get that rest he deserved. But there was something that weighed heavy on his mind, Rowan told him he was a part of the ‘Canutus Coven’ and there was a curse casted that made Judias forget a few things.

He wondered if that was the reason why he was constantly getting Déjà Vu’s he couldn’t explain; he also wondered if Rowan was telling the truth and a curse was cast.

Judias didn’t know who was behind the curse or if there was one conjured, but one thing was for sure; he was going to get to the bottom of it, one way or another.

 

 

VI

Meanwhile Back at Haneltha’s Magic Crystal Shop:

Haneltha placed her lavender colored hair in a sleek ponytail as she walked over to the door of her boutique. She locked it, flipped over the ‘Open’ sign to ‘Closed’ and she turned around.

In a black smoky light Valerius appeared in front of her causing the woman to flinch clenching her chest. “Bloody Hell Val! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

Valerius smiled sincerely at the woman, “Sorry…Did he come back?”

Haneltha shook her head, “No. But I think I found the solution to our problem. How does a Time Spell sound? We can cast it to send us back in time before the Curse was cast on Nathaniel and Judias.”

“Are you crazy?” Valerius asked, “Time Spells are unreliable and we have no idea where it will take us.”

“I know! But that is the only solution I can think of which can fix this.”

Valerius nodded and he took Haneltha’s soft delicate hands in his and gazed into her eyes, “I understand you want to fix this, but going back in time can alter everything we have here. It will bring Agatha back to life and we all know Death is never excited when we mess with his work.”

“I just…i just hate that we can’t tell them the bloody truth!”

“You and I both. But like Agatha said, messing with their minds by forcefully triggering their memories can have horrible consequences for them.”

It frustrated Haneltha so much that she can’t help her best friend with this horrible situation, but that’s the con of being a Magical Being in the Magic Realm. Nothing is easy when magic is involved.

She walked behind the counter, grabbed her pink purse from a nearby chair and returned to the man.

Valerius smiled licking his lips, walked toward the counter and pulled out a folded piece of paper from the right pocket of his black leather warrior pants.

“I actually have a Magical and legal way to return things to the way they were.” He unfolded the paper and handed it to the Lavender haired woman. She took the paper from the man and read it to herself:

 

Dear My Fellow Underworld Beings,

                     Fugitive Witch- Judias Grey is back in the Magic Realm and he appears to be planning something deadly. Whomever brings me his head �"or corpse- I will personally grant them the reward of ONE wish for anything their heart desires.

                                Sincerely

                                King Leon”

 

Haneltha stopped reading the letter and she glared at Valerius. “You want to kill Judias?”

“No no, ofcourse not!” Valerius stated shaking his head. “I was thinking we could find a corpse and make it look like Judias. I can bring it back to the King and then get a wish, where I can wish the curse to be undone.”

A shock of excitement coursed through Haneltha’s body and she smiled clapping her hands together. “That sounds like a marvelous plan! Are you able to do that without putting yourself in danger? The last thing we need is Rickasè finding out our plan.”

Valerius placed his hands on Haneltha’s shoulders and he smiled gazing into her beautiful eyes. “I can handle him. He already thinks I’m on his side and has no idea you and I were the only ones not affected by the curse. Trust me, if I can keep this act up, we’ll be one step closer to ending the curse and saving this Realm.”

Haneltha trusted everything Valerius said; she knew he would go to the end of the world to protect not only her, but also the Magic Realm.

“Just know I will be here to help you in any way you need.” Haneltha said calmly and Valerius shook his head softly.

“No, you need to rest and maintain the store. I can’t have you running around facing danger. Especially-“ he placed his right hand on the woman’s stomach and smiled. “-Since we have a little one coming into the world soon.”

“Soon?” She asked smiling. “I’m only three weeks pregnant let’s not make it seem like I’m eight and a half months. We don’t even have baby clothes or a crib.”

“Hey, Hanni, I will never stop treating this baby like royalty or stop caring for you.”

“The man of my dreams.” She said smirking as she placed her hands over his, still on her stomach.

Valerius’ smile faded and Haneltha could sense he was thinking about the curse. “Don’t worry Val.” She said softly placing her hands on his face and gazed into his eyes. “We’re going to fix this curse, our baby will be raised by us and come Hell or high water...our baby will meet its uncles.”

 

 

 

 

End of Story

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

               Dear King Leon,

  It has come to my attention that you are giving out a reward for whoever kills Judias Grey and brings you the body. While the plan seems much thought out and I’m sure your reasoning for this is pure; you must understand why I must inform you; you are wasting your time!

That Witch belongs to me and I’m going to be the one to watch him take his final breath.

So good luck, because when I find him, I’m going to kill him and if I decide to take you up on that little reward, I’ll wish him to come back to life; so I can kill him again!

 

                                Sincerely,

                                The Big Bad Wolf

 

 

 

© 2017 EddyBee


Author's Note

EddyBee
This is a book with three short stories in it-the description wouldn't let me fit all that in. I would love to see what you all think about it. I am working on the next set of three more stories.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on November 21, 2017
Last Updated on November 21, 2017
Tags: LGBT Fiction, LGBT, Gay, Fiction, Fantasy, Witch, Magic, Gay Fiction, Drama, Mystery, MM Romance, Romance

Author

EddyBee
EddyBee

Bronx, NY



About
Hello! My name is Edwin Betancourt! I am a Writer, Poet and Actor hailing from Bronx, NY. Writing has always been something I've loved to do since I was young because I love telling stories. Growi.. more..

Writing