Evolution of human behavior-my own ideas

Evolution of human behavior-my own ideas

A Story by EdmundMorel
"

Laughing and smiling, blushing, music, crying and weeping-how did homo sapiens develop all this

"

Laughing and smiling

Babies smile, adults smile when flirting (Professor Irenaeus Eibl-Eibesfeldt published a lot about that), and/or when they are embarrassed, ashamed or out of politeness etc..Laughing can be aggressive, exclude or expel people from a group, it can serve to build a hierarchy in groups of humans without using physical force. Maybe smiling and laughing has its origins in evolution out of snarling in animals (showing teeth)- an aggression against a common enemy can create a bond- this idea, by the way, is not from Konrad Lorenz but from Niccol�™ Machiavelli ("Il Principe"). Laughing can punish dissidents in groups of humans and promote homogenuous opinions. Women and girls laugh and giggle more than men do, since they are more gregarious.

 

Gestures of humility in social mammals

Dogs and wolves draw in their tails and whine, when they are inferior or weaker than an attacking dog/wolf. Some predatory animals present their unprotected throats to superior/stronger animals of the same species. As far as I know, primates do not show such behaviour, Humans blush when they are ashamed, no other primate species does that. Turning pink is regulated by the autonomic nervous system, but there is no explanation, as far as I know, about its origin in evolution. It could be a gesture of ritualized simulated exhaustion.

 

Music

Humans share their feelings by singing and dancing, they develop a sense of belonging together, friendships emerge. Good dancers and singers are preferred by the opposite gender. Some animals have melodies and sounds to attract a mate, to generate a “community emotion” and to communicate. Whales and dolphins “sing” and wolves howl, many bird species sing, maybe because birds have, in general, only one partner to raise their offspring (lifelong “matrimony”), they also sing for attracting and choosing a mate. Birds do also sing and twitter to defend their territory or to mark it, as a signal: Every male bird of the same species will be attacked if he crosses the border of the territory. Only humans have a language with many words, so only humans have songs with lyrics. Evolution gave our ancestors music and made them and us gregarious, and the present shows the relative success of mankind over other animals.


Weeping

Is there a theory about the evolutionary development of crying/weeping? The tears we shed out of sadness are chemically different from those which blowing wind creates and from those we have in our eyes when cutting onions.

© 2017 EdmundMorel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on March 30, 2017
Last Updated on March 30, 2017
Tags: Ethology, Behavior, Evolution, Laughing, Blushing, Music, Weeping

Author

EdmundMorel
EdmundMorel

Munich, Bavaria, Germany



About
Interests: the stars (Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"), animation movies (Zoomania, Zootropolis, Zootopia), European cinema, pictures of the Hubble Space telescope, recreational mathematics (Martin Gardner, Sam .. more..

Writing