Early riser

Early riser

A Poem by EileenMarie
"

Morning starts the day

"
She wakes up early to start her day
Unwanted fear her companion
Taking pills to ease her mind
She sits drinking coffee
Waiting silently
For dread to cease
Patiently
Slowly
Peace.

© 2012 EileenMarie


Author's Note

EileenMarie
This us me every day & working to change my frame of mind :) and my routine! Writing is my peace :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

sounds like someone is meditating, enjoyed this

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved the form of this piece - it's almost deceptively simple. The content is presented like this and makes it seem simple while you're talking about bigger things like waking up in fear and having to find ways to deal with that.
If you added a period at the end, that would give it a sense of finality and an ending.
Anyway, great work!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Thank you ! I'm taking your advice :) that's how I want it to end.
I had to look up what a Nonnet form was...okay, form is not my forte :/ After reading the description, I reread the poem.
The title is quite fitting as anxiety tends to bring some insomnia and the eventually feeling of "Ah, Hell I'll just get up." Maybe in this the person is just happy to greet the day, or perhaps she has already slept for many hours (as depression seems to drive one to). The form served well, I think, to bring "her" down to the one syllable "peace". I hope "she" can find that peace more often, and that the "dread" lessens every day. It is a rough road, but it can be done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Well thank you for the thorough review :) I will say its me and I do wake after a restful sleep but.. read more
Shimmerbliss/CAF

11 Years Ago

Take baby steps, but take them... The Wise Old Woman said.
Inspiring...meditation comes in many forms, and writing (for me) is one of them, the other is dancing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much! I'm glad you find your way to peace as well :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
xx
Lovely idea for a poem here.

While I can't relate to this on a personal level, my mother has anxiety issues that make her feel panicked in the mornings as soon as she wakes up. The stresses and the burdens of the day are already upon her shoulders, and it pains me to see her struggle to get her bearings straight as she gets out of bed.

To begin the body of my review - I'll start off with the actual shape of the poem, the visible overall structure. The lengths of the lines differ, but in an organized way - the first line is longest, and as the poem continues, we see that the length of each individual line gradually becomes shorter. I thought this nicely mirrored the structure of the subject's mind - when she wakes up in the morning, her thoughts travel to unwanted, fearful places and her mind is cluttered with the anxieties of the day yet to come -

And then she begins to unwind, though it may be with the help of medication. As the medicine does its work and becalms her tattered nerves, her mind clears - "patiently," "slowly," until she is at a singular "peace" that sweeps out the extraneous worries she neither needs nor wants.

Ordinarily, I would have thought that the "dread would cease" phrase was awkward, as I regard dread as a stationary noun that does nothing on its own, but I have heard my mother speaking of this "dread" before. It may well be merely a noun that means a great worry or sense of foreboding, but it is more that that. It is an active force, coming this way and going that way and otherwise wreaking havoc on the vulnerable mind. I did especially appreciate that phrase.

All in all, this was a short poem, about thirty words long, so I can't devote as much analysis as I would like to your poem. But length does not determine quality. But you already knew that, of course! :D But I will say that I loved how you arranged the structure of this poem to match the content, mirroring the cluttered and heavily-laden state of mind with longer lines, and then reflecting the calming of her nerves and the clearing of her mind with a brief, short word at the conclusion.

Wonderful writing, and I do hope you continue to share more works such as this one. Happy writing! :)

-Mina

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Wow thank you :) the structure/style is a Nonnet. I find them easy to convey feelings that's for sur.. read more
Oh sweetie... I can relate... its great that you write it out... this is great ~~~

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

I'm hoping to move past this some day as it wasn't always this way :) thanks for reviewing :)
wonderful write, intriguing really and deep.

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Happily, you have a method of attaining some level of peace.
"Early riser" is, ultimately, an inspiring little poem.
Nice work, EM!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


EileenMarie

11 Years Ago

Thank you..... I wrote it earlier and after rereading it I tweeked it a bit! I have to say writing i.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2012
Last Updated on August 15, 2012

Author

EileenMarie
EileenMarie

MA



About
A little about me and my life....... My name is Eileen my middle name is Marie but my dad always called me EileenMarie so.... I am 55 and have 2 great kids. My son is 23 graduated college, living on h.. more..

Writing
Red wine Red wine

A Poem by EileenMarie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Musing of Me A Musing of Me

A Poem by ...


weeds weeds

A Chapter by Renée


The Curse The Curse

A Poem by Emily B