Intangible Desire of All Creation

Intangible Desire of All Creation

A Story by Final-Karma
"

Elric Ashburn returns with his childhood friend and fellow mage, Orion Delos.

"
Endless rain falls as I wait for a cab. My transphone rings. The words on the holographic screen ran across. It was Ashburn. What had he done now? I ignored it. Instantly, I thought about calling him back. He only called whenever he wanted something. It's always been that way with him since we were children. Such as history follows we both moved to the same place as well. New Mitos wasn't so bad. I had been transferred to their mage division since they needed some extra hands. It was your typical big, buzzing city. Everyone preoccupied with their own worlds, but at the same time it felt off. I come from a small town outside of the city. Not much action, but it was home. This was a big step. I looked around at the tall buildings and people ignoring each other as they walk. Either talking on their transphone's or hurrying to get somewhere. 
My transphone rings again. The slick rectangular black device hums as I remove it from my pocket. The display reappears. Ashburn, it read. This was the latest model. With no interactive buttons, it is all screen with a slick display that resembles a crystal like shine over water. The movement between apps is liquid like. The engineering, superb. Being an all life device, it has become a staple for any and everyone. It was turn of the century new age tech. Makes me wonder about the border between technology and magic. The transphone kept humming. This time I answer. "What is it Ashburn? I have extensive work to do." Ashburn responds, "I know but that's why I called you. Are you familiar with black magic?" His question isn't followed with his usual sprung joke and I don't hear any sly trip in his words. I respond, "You know I am. Why? Is this a prank call again? I swear they get worse and..." He cuts me off with a giggle, "No no. Not at all. Just got hung up and pinned by a blood circle is all." I was taken back. Blood circle? I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. "Don't be silly Ashburn. Blood circles are long gone. They required sacrifice and actual blood. Nobody does that anymore. In fact it has been centuries since anyone even practiced such magecraft." I don't hear a response from him. I start to say something but he cuts me off, "Meet me at the Meridian Diner on 5th. Come alone." He hangs up. It was unlike him to be so direct. His usual tactics of deflecting the seriousness of a situation wasn't even present. I check the time. I can spare a few hours to entertain his question. Not that it would get us anywhere, but I am a man of curiosity and wisdom. 
I took a cab to the diner and walked in. Ashburn was sitting alone in the corner. The Meridian Diner was a throwback to the diners of the 1930s I believe. Teens and family's would come to eat fast food and hangout. The air smelled like grease and there were only a few people. Many of these types of sit in diners around New Mitos were closed. I walked and felt the sticky residue of the floor under my boots. Some of the tables barely looked clean. What a dump. Wonder why he picked here. I sat in front of him. He was staring out of the window. I tapped him, "Ashburn? You look tired. Have you even been sleeping?" He never looked at me but responded, "I have but that is not what this is. The blood circle. It left me with nightmares. Things I have never seen before. The elders know. There is a gathering happening." He looked directly at me now. His usually slick black hair was messy and his clothes were a bit dusty and scuffed. The bags under his eyes painted a tale of their own. He started to talk, "Powerful mages from all over will be there to see this." He pulled the sleeves of his jacket up and I saw why he looked so exhausted. On his arms, ever growing and moving, were deep red scars. Cutting symbols throughout his body. Hissing and striking. I looked at him and asked, "A blood circle did this? This is beyond modern magecraft. It is ancient. A curse of some kind." He looked at me and smiled. "No kidding. I know this. That is why the elders have requested you to be at the gathering as well. You are probably the only person who still understands this type of magic." Things get silent as I keep staring at his arms. 
Ashburn rolls his sleeves back down and continues, "Because I sure as hell couldn't do anything for myself. This shadow figure caught me in a trap. It was a double layer circle, blood on top, green astral on the bottom." So much ran through my head. For one, there's not many that can best Ashburn at casting. But the symbols. They look Babylonian. I also saw a bit of Cimmerian as well. Ashburn taps my hand to bring me out of my thoughts. He looks back out the window. I have never seen him look so calm. His skin was pale and he almost seemed to age in front of me. He says, "Thinking pretty hard now huh? That's why they sent me to bring you. They knew that seeing would be the only thing to make you come." I huffed. They were right. I am a person of facts and proof. This is all the proof I need. I get up from the table and I ask him, "When and where? I can't let the elders make a mess of things here." Ashburn smiles that silly smile of his. He starts to almost look like himself again. He responds, "Tomorrow. At The Hall of Guilds." I walked away. Ashburn calls after me, "Hey Orion!" I turn around. He gets up and nods, "Just like old times huh?" I turn back around and walk out of the diner. I look up. The cloudy sky gives way to the first rays of sun in a week. I smile. Yes Elric. Just like old times. 

© 2017 Final-Karma


Author's Note

Final-Karma
Please review all my work. I am trying to get better at writing so I can continue to improve this universe I am writing about.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love the story. Each addition adds a little more to the overall plot. I am not sure of the order however, are they seperate entries is there supposed to be an order?
Your writing flows,I never had any trouble going from one sentence to the next. The words strike vivid images within the mind and yet never drag on for too long breaking the pact.
the story itself is interesting, with a few new angles not often explored(which ill go into a little bit below)
The idea of these blood circles and I am guessing demons to me is always fun, so there could be some bias in my enjoyement.
I am glad you expanded on the phone and hope to see more magic tech in the future(a concept that very few ever merge)
The mood has a dark grittyness yet at some points lighthearted. You would think they would clash but you seemed to strike a balance and not throw off the mood. I guess the word I am looking for is charm. It is not another forgotten average read as there is enough to make it memorable.
will this be a story with an order of chapters at one point or a series of interconnected stories?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Final-Karma

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I am not a writer by nature at all. I'm more of a concept type of person so I was.. read more



Reviews

I love the story. Each addition adds a little more to the overall plot. I am not sure of the order however, are they seperate entries is there supposed to be an order?
Your writing flows,I never had any trouble going from one sentence to the next. The words strike vivid images within the mind and yet never drag on for too long breaking the pact.
the story itself is interesting, with a few new angles not often explored(which ill go into a little bit below)
The idea of these blood circles and I am guessing demons to me is always fun, so there could be some bias in my enjoyement.
I am glad you expanded on the phone and hope to see more magic tech in the future(a concept that very few ever merge)
The mood has a dark grittyness yet at some points lighthearted. You would think they would clash but you seemed to strike a balance and not throw off the mood. I guess the word I am looking for is charm. It is not another forgotten average read as there is enough to make it memorable.
will this be a story with an order of chapters at one point or a series of interconnected stories?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Final-Karma

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I am not a writer by nature at all. I'm more of a concept type of person so I was.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Added on September 25, 2017
Last Updated on October 23, 2017
Tags: science fiction, adventure, supernatural, technology

Author

Final-Karma
Final-Karma

NC



About
Hello, I am Final-Karma. I dabble in the known and unknown. Please read my work and let your minds be expanded. Feel free to message me, I am always excited to speak to new people from all walks of li.. more..

Writing