A Paradise of Strangers

A Paradise of Strangers

A Poem by Elaenor Aisling

You found yourself 

in a paradise of strangers

all going one direction or another,

though none towards you. 

You stood alone on the sidelines

not sure who to follow

where to go 

Seemed everyone had a place

except you. 

But then, 

you decided to 

make your own way

and took off

through that sea of strangers

into the unkown. 

© 2012 Elaenor Aisling


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. I more than just love this! In so few words, you have captured a moment perfectly. The travails of life, the loneliness and desolation, but also the will to fight against the tide, to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, to derive faith from within oneself. The fact that I could extrapolate so much from so few words is testimony to your skills.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
xx
I can see why so many have enjoyed this poem - I enjoyed it /immensely./

Though the literal length of the poem is short, the breadth of its meaning is something, I think, that cannot be encompassed fully by any analysis, no matter how extensive. There's something (or some things, actually, because the possible symbolisms are infinite in number) in this poem that simply can't be put into words, and even if it is, the words wouldn't do it proper justice.

Most of us would take one look at the phrase "paradise of strangers" and declare it an absolute paradox, because really, who genuinely enjoys a nobody in a crowd of nobodies? Who would ever want to be without the security of a familiar face, holding a familiar hand, looking into a set of familiar eyes? But we've /all/ found solace in a "paradise of strangers," haven't we? When we want to shrink from the too-critical surveillance of our peers or our loved ones, when we want to escape too-heavy responsibilities that life has thrust upon us, perhaps when we want to simply get away from the monotony of everyday life that has us - bored, unfulfilled?

None of those strangers are walking "towards you" - no expectations, no pressure. But this means no guidance, too, and what does this mean but that we must rely on our own intuition? Or perhaps ignore it, if our intuition says to turn our backs on this unconventional paradise of strangers and seek refuge with the things we have known for all our lives? But whatever the choice, it has to be made. Standing on the sidelines is an unacceptable option, because our lives were meant to be lived, one way or the other. So we go - into the "unk[n]own," where no trail has been blazed but where promises lie, whatever promises they may be. We "make [our] own way," pave our own path, blaze our own trail. The sea of strangers has become our paradise, one that we have not come to know yet - but undoubtedly will.

The imagery you present in this poem isn't sporadic, unconnected; the imagery serves a /purpose/, comes together to form a true /story./ We see the literal scene playing out in our head because the story you spin is so visually realistic and easy to relate to, and because of this, the symbolic significance of this poem is so much easier to grasp, whatever symbolism the reader happens to see within the lines of this poem.

I was delighted to read this poem, though it has been a while since you put it up, and it is my honor to rate this a 100/100. Lovely writing! Please do continue to share more pieces like this one. :3

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful and inspirational! In one stanza, you told an entire story. And a really nice one might I add?

Posted 11 Years Ago


this poem is like, adventurous. And I love it, because its about you who adventurously and courageously took a step into the paradise of the unknown, and you have to be really brave for doing that, making your own space and moving on, even in a place where you don't fit in. Really well written. I loved it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


amazing write


Posted 11 Years Ago


I visualised a black and white film noir cartoon for some reason it worked well in my mind and with the silence, lonliness and simplicity of the words it was a great little poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This sounds a lot like New York city. It has always rather amazed me that we can be totally anonymous while in plain view of our fellow beings.

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow...few words, n a complete story, I loved this. WRITE ON!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Id hate to walk alone.... ha ha

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
☯
Surprisingly accurate to the point and very relatable. I find myself often in a crowd of strangers, as if no one knows my thoughts, how I'm feeling. As if I am all alone in a world so populated. I really liked reading this and the theme is amazing as well as how well it flowed. A great job! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


this was so great piece ...
First thing i read from 2 months.. and it is wonderful :D

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1563 Views
48 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on August 26, 2011
Last Updated on April 11, 2012
Tags: people. city, road, strangers, paradise

Author

Elaenor Aisling
Elaenor Aisling

Limerick, Ireland....I wish.



About
I am currently a student. I write mainly poetry, a few short stories here and there. I love to read and write. Favorite authors include, Victor Hugo, J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolstoy, Wilde, Alcott, C.S. Lewis.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Raspberry Tea Raspberry Tea

A Poem by Hayley