Common Beauty

Common Beauty

A Poem by Elaenor Aisling
"

A simple poem describing a homeless woman's view of the world.

"

She has seen beauty

in the most unlikely places

in the darkness of a sewer pool

droplets falling like diamonds

each melting into the black abyss

 

The solid symmetry 

of overpass beams

their grey strength a haven

for the fugitives 

she always found strength lovely

 

The snowflakes of glass

on a warehouse floor

misted with time

she knows men find beauty in destruction

or else, they would not destroy

 

The flowing ribbons

of an oil pool rainbow

after a storm 

left by a careless driver 

in a walmart parking lot

 

She knows they see 

only a stinking sewer

a mundane overpass

broken windows

and oil pollution

all common sights

but all she sees

is common beauty. 

© 2012 Elaenor Aisling


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This poem is giving me the same feel as I would get when I'd see a wonderfully designed building by designed an architect. Unique perspective, and skilful execution.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Interesting take :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good work. Your picture matches your words. Great imagery.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's rare that a poem can move you to think differently of the world, but I believe that this one will have that sort of effect on me. It had a modern gypsy feel to it and the way you lay out your words is very skilful, lady.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, this is a great piece. It is very beautiful and I read multiple times. Keep it up!

Posted 12 Years Ago



1. The snowflakes of glass - on a warehouse floor

And I would break myself on the world's beauty, if the world and beauty didn't reside in me so much!



Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
xx
This.

Is so beautiful.

Look, you have me typing in fragments. D:

While it is difficult for me to believe that any person forced to wander the streets and search the streets and benches and even dumpsters for food every day can possibly be concerned with the beauty of his surroundings, it's also true that there are those gifted, blessed folks who can see beauty in anything and everything, no matter how depressing and trying the circumstances are.

Your poem communicates this so effectively, with beautiful imagery and simple yet tender emotion in every line. This is a truly wonderfully written poem, and I do hope to see more work from you in the future.

Just one minor thing - I was a little thrown off by line ten, it didn't seem to flow too easily with the rest of the poem, but that might have been just me, since I'm not exactly an expert at poem reading and analysis.

Again, wonderful work, so keep writing! :)

-Mina

Posted 12 Years Ago


I read this through and aloud several (more than two) times. Each time the mind slightly changed the path and questioned in a different way - what I read and what I heard. The mind changed words and places, added sights and sounds.

It's weakness is you think of seeming flaws and what should be changed AS you go through it the first time or two. Its strength is you don't WANT to change anything after the third.

Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


Lovely verses you have created. They each capture the picture you trying to illustrate of this canvas of a poem. i say well done. I was blown away by the work. My favorite line would have to be, "She has seen beauty in the most unlikely places." There will be times where others go through this too. Beauty can be seen in the most bizarre scenery. Even in a park that has a beautiful lake. Something that can inspire people including writers to do certain things.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is a beautiful piece. A simple thought wonderfully conveyed. Nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

535 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 21, 2011
Last Updated on April 9, 2012
Tags: homeless, beauty, woman, poetry, city, overpass, parking lot, men, window, oil, common

Author

Elaenor Aisling
Elaenor Aisling

Limerick, Ireland....I wish.



About
I am currently a student. I write mainly poetry, a few short stories here and there. I love to read and write. Favorite authors include, Victor Hugo, J.R.R. Tolkien, Tolstoy, Wilde, Alcott, C.S. Lewis.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Widow Black Widow

A Poem by Muse